Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET.

Comments

• @rchurch said:
    Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here on Lowendtalk in which so many people lack critical thinking skills. All I see here are bunch of whiny insecure teenagers who would rather die than be excluded from the cool gang at school, the kind Soph likes to trash so much.

The PMS and sister jokes are so trite, corny, sexist, puerile and infantile and I can't tell for the life of me why the moderators allow them to continue, but that is for another topic in itself. Do those who make such jokes ever consider that some the readers and participants in the forum may be women?

Getting back to the adverts. The same 4 adverts have been showing for so long with no change, unless the LET ad algorithms has chosen them for specially for me.

If I am not interested what point is there in allowing them to disturb me?

There is a reason for adblocking software and some people use it not because they dislike adverts but because they are too distracting and some advertisers can't help injecting nefarious Javascript into them.

Do some of you guys read newspapers at all? When you read a newspaper do you need flashy adverts to attract your attention? Of course you don't, so why does the Internet industry have this stupid notion that readers like garish, flashy distracting ads? I actually read more adverts on newspapers than on the web because they allow you to focus on the content, then turn to the adverts when you are ready. LETers should try them once in while.

With adblocking software it is so easy to get rid of these annoyances, which is why adverts shouldn't be annoying. They are just counterproductive.

Dudes need to give up this "fearful of not being part of the cool gang" mentality and simply grow up. Your school teenager years are over.

@LETAdmin, animated ads are fine, but the transitions shouldn't be too flashy. A slow transition in an advert is better than a quick jarring one.

Sounds like you have unsettled teenage issues and a preoccupation with not being accepted into some "cool gang".

Sir, this is a Wendy's. Go start a blog and post about it there. Why poison this place with such PMS?

• @rchurch said: Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here

And we should listen to you why exactly? You've presented something which should have come as your own but you've worded it to sound like you represent all of LET.

Dear LET advertisers, please don't use animated adverts as I simply block them.

I understand that this could be a issue for you. But it doesn't for me. So wording your thread as

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET.

implies that LET as a whole says "animated ads bad, static ads good" while it's not. I believe that's why there's an steady flow of hate coming towards you.

Next time start with why you'd prefer not to have animated ads. Do a civil discussion. Come to conclusions. Realise advertisers don't give a sh*t about you. Move on with your life while blocking ads which you don't like.

When you look into the joke abyss, the joke abyss looks back at you.

Thanked by 1iNK79
  • edited March 2021

@serv_ee said:
    Really, that small little flashy banner is blocking you from concentrating?

It can be irritating in peripheral vision. After all that is the whole point: to grab our attention. If it didn't have the potential to disrupt us that way, why would advertisers make the effort?

@rchurch said:
    Dear LET advertisers, please don't use animated adverts as I simply block them.

I block animations too (not entirely - they play through once, and I can replay them individually or set on to loop if I want to see one of them do its thing again). There are several good Chrome add-ons for this. No doubt there are similar for other browsers.

Just keep blocking them. The advertisers aren't going to care that a few of us do, given that most don't and the animation has the desired effect enough on others to make us few an insignificant loss. Individual advertisers aren't going to stop because we don't like it, any more than the online advertising industry is going to stop being a bag of sleaze-ball stalkers because we don't like that.

Thanked by 2rchurch TimboJones
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 2021

@MeAtExampleDotCom said: It can be irritating in peripheral vision. After all that is the whole point: to grab our attention. If it didn't have the potential to disrupt us that way, why would advertisers make the effort?

Well surely, maybe for some but cant say they bother me at all even on my small ass 15" laptop screen.

At least it's not really worthy of doing a whole topic about it. Just block them and move on.

• All it comes down to having respect for readers. If advertisers respect their customers they shouldn't distract them.

Note that I'm not complaining about adverts per se, but the type of adverts, a distinction a lot of the responders clearly don't understand. Publishers need to treat their readers as adults.

The actual content here is in black and white, if there is something with color at the top of the screen it will definitely get noticed.

Here are a few links - https://www.wifidabba.com/blog/200000-dollars-in-sales-from-one-daringfireball-ad

https://daringfireball.net/feeds/sponsors/

https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advertising/ethical-advertising.html

https://alistapart.com/articles/

For instance when you scroll down the page here the adverts disappear. I wouldn't even mind the adverts scrolling to remain in view, but if they are disturbing why tolerate them.

I don't want to talk to much, but Hostsailor need to do something about their adverts. Period.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I can understand @rchurch for three reasons: (a) I'm also distracted and annoyed, (b) Those flashy animated ads actually can trigger certain (not so rare) medical conditions, and (c) those ads are a form of "rape" in that the mindset behind them is like "I don't want you have the chance to ignore my ad. I want to force you to look at it!".

That said, I frankly think that they actually aren't very effective because they are much more likely to drive people to click on "ban all ads on this site" than a normal (not animated) ad.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2021

@rchurch I understand your position and thank you for being part of our community.

When it comes to ads, I know no one loves them.

I try to make sure that our ads are pertinent (hosting space only), not vulgar and not incredibly annoying. Also note that we do not use any frame shifting ads or inline ads to make sure the user experience is as best possible.

I've invested heavily the past year since buying lowendbox and LowEndTalk, both of which were losing money when I took over. I think most people here can say that the past year has brought plenty of positive improvements to the sites and that takes continued financial support. Having your support is important and I ask you to consider that before blocking our ads. Without the help of our advertisers running lowendbox and LowEndTalk would not be possible.

Thanked by 2rchurch ddvu
  • darbdarb Member

I was going to suggest sesamestreet.org for you, but I think even it might be too much for you to handle.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:
    @rchurch I understand your position and thank you for being part of our community.

I try to make sure that our ads are pertinent (hosting space only), not vulgar and not incredibly annoying. Also note that we do not use any frame shifting ads or online ads to make sure the user experience is as best possible.

I've invested heavily the past year since buying lowendbox and LowEndTalk, both of which were losing money when I took over. I think most people here can say that the past year has brought plenty of positive improvements to the sites and that takes continued financial support. Having your support is important and I ask you to consider that before blocking our ads. Without the help of our advertisers running lowendbox and LowEndTalk would not be possible.

I'm not blocking ads here as a principle. After all I want you to recover your costs.

But, that said, the HostSailor ad is brutally obtrusive. On every other site I'd ban all ads because of them. Here on LET I only decided to never buy from them because I don't support their ad-rape attitude.

Thanked by 2rchurch AlwaysSkint

@jsg said:

@jbiloh said:

I try to make sure that our ads are pertinent (hosting space only), not vulgar and not incredibly annoying. Also note that we do not use any frame shifting ads or online ads to make sure the user experience is as best possible.

I'm not blocking ads here as a principle. After all I want you to recover your costs.

But, that said, the HostSailor ad is brutally obtrusive. On every other site I'd ban all ads because of them. Here on LET I only decided to never buy from them because I don't support their ad-rape attitude.

Yes their ad is a bit more on the attention grabbing side. I'll give them some feedback on this. Ultimately it's a balance that has to be struck between attention grabbing and something that blends in too much.

• edited March 2021

@serv_ee said:
    Just block them and move on.

I beleive that is exactly what I said in the second half of the post.

• What ads?

• FalzoFalzo Member

uBlock origin:

www.lowendtalk.com##[src*="lowendbox"]

Thanked by 2lentro Rambler

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@serv_ee said:

This hurts the sites :(

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    uBlock origin:

www.lowendtalk.com##[src*="lowendbox"]

Muchas gracias! Finally got rid of that annoying ad, it just hurt my eyes on a green forum! If it wasn't for that, I would have been too lazy to block it.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @jbiloh said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@serv_ee said:

What it's worth I dont block them myself as they don't bother me.

@serv_ee said:

@jbiloh said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@serv_ee said:

What it's worth I dont block them myself as they don't bother me.

Thanks for your support :)

• DataGizmosDataGizmos Member
    edited March 2021

@jbiloh said:

I try to make sure that our ads are pertinent (hosting space only), not vulgar and not incredibly annoying. Also note that we do not use any frame shifting ads or inline ads to make sure the user experience is as best possible.

... no point in commenting

• @jbiloh said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@serv_ee said:

Sites don't mind hurting my eyes.

Though I was suggesting that not as an absolute, but as an alternative to opening a moaning thread.

And as stated above, I don't block the adverts fully, just the animation repeats (which tend to be obnoxious attention grabs). Make sure your final frame contains the information that you think might interest me and I'll see it (also have that in the first frame too as some partial blockers just show the first frame instead of letting the animation run once).

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2021

@rchurch said: animated ads are fine, but the transitions shouldn't be too flashy. A slow transition in an advert is better than a quick jarring one.

A website cannot chose the creative over an ad, except if the ad is insulting or illegal.

@rchurch said: Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here on Lowendtalk in which so many people lack critical thinking skills. All I see here are bunch of whiny insecure teenagers who would rather die than be excluded from the cool gang at school, the kind Soph likes to trash so much.

A website like LET, rarely is non-profit, even if it is driven by a community. Always will need resources (servers, administration) that costs. And always the owners want to get profit from it.
    For me, it is better to have some annoying ads and freedom of speech than no ads but a heavy moderation on content with hidden paid "articles", "comments" and "reviews" and ban to almost anything that criticizing the paid content (like LEB was till recently).
    The only ads that I am bother of (and are very common on big websites) are ads with sound, that can popup and be extremely annoying in places that I would like to keep surfing silent...

@rchurch said: There is a reason for adblocking software and some people use it not because they dislike adverts but because they are too distracting and some advertisers can't help injecting nefarious Javascript into them.

IMHO, using ad block is not a fair play to the websites I visit. I would be perfectly fine if the site would block me entirely if I block the ads on it. We are all want to be paid for our job, and keeping a popular forum alive is a job. Nowadays, job is even posting photos on instagram, so, if anybody is doing this for living, my choice will be to receive the whole package or not receive it at all...

@rchurch said: Do some of you guys read newspapers at all? When you read a newspaper do you need flashy adverts to attract your attention?

As of me, not only I am reading (printed) newspapers but I am a co-owner on one (I am a journalist). If printed paper could have motion ads, believe me, they would have. To make a profit, a lot of newspapers nowadays are using other methods to gain earnings, some of them really shady. I would prefer flashy ads than those kind of ways to earn money...

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @rchurch said:
    Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here on Lowendtalk in which so many people lack critical thinking skills. All I see here are bunch of whiny insecure teenagers who would rather die than be excluded from the cool gang at school, the kind Soph likes to trash so much.

The PMS and sister jokes are so trite, corny, sexist, puerile and infantile and I can't tell for the life of me why the moderators allow them to continue, but that is for another topic in itself. Do those who make such jokes ever consider that some the readers and participants in the forum may be women?

Getting back to the adverts. The same 4 adverts have been showing for so long with no change, unless the LET ad algorithms has chosen them for specially for me.

If I am not interested what point is there in allowing them to disturb me?

There is a reason for adblocking software and some people use it not because they dislike adverts but because they are too distracting and some advertisers can't help injecting nefarious Javascript into them.

Do some of you guys read newspapers at all? When you read a newspaper do you need flashy adverts to attract your attention? Of course you don't, so why does the Internet industry have this stupid notion that readers like garish, flashy distracting ads? I actually read more adverts on newspapers than on the web because they allow you to focus on the content, then turn to the adverts when you are ready. LETers should try them once in while.

With adblocking software it is so easy to get rid of these annoyances, which is why adverts shouldn't be annoying. They are just counterproductive.

Dudes need to give up this "fearful of not being part of the cool gang" mentality and simply grow up. Your school teenager years are over.

@LETAdmin, animated ads are fine, but the transitions shouldn't be too flashy. A slow transition in an advert is better than a quick jarring one.

I'm with you, but lack empathy because I've blocked them out and haven't been bothered. I'm sure all these guys also blocked them out and also haven't been annoyed enough to jump on your bandwagon.

But fuck anyone who says flashy stuff in your peripheral view isn't annoying, they're fucking annoying.

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said: I'm sure all these guys also blocked them out and also haven't been annoyed enough to jump on your bandwagon.

You're wrong.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2021

@brueggus said:

@TimboJones said: I'm sure all these guys also blocked them out and also haven't been annoyed enough to jump on your bandwagon.

You're wrong.

Maybe, but you just had a meta post whining about a person whining instead of shutting up and moving on.

@TimboJones said:

@brueggus said:

You're wrong.

Maybe, but you just had a meta post whining about a person whining instead of shutting up and moving on.

You completely missed the point of my post, obviously.

• @brueggus said:

@TimboJones said:

@brueggus said:

You're wrong.

Your point being you didn't block them out and/or you don't find them annoying. Cool story, bro.

@TimboJones said:

@brueggus said:

@TimboJones said:

@brueggus said:

You're wrong.

Your point being you didn't block them out and/or you don't find them annoying. Cool story, bro.

Neither of them. Try again.

• Just block the ads and move on. I'm not buying stuff through ads, I'm buying stuff through posts, offers and reviews that can have comments of user experiences.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited March 2021

part of the problem i guess is that (it seems) that advertising here is just a monthly rate. If ads were performance based, if those flashy animated ads were truly annoying such that people didnt click them or block them, then the advertiser would surely change the ad. Likewise, if LET used a half decent solution, then these sort of things would resolve themselves.

Also, I'm sure LET admin can see %age of users using adblock and if ads in general, or a particular ad is affecting traffic.

But, as we probably all know, annoying irritating ads are sometimes what it takes to get noticed. HostSailor got a free mention on this thread, every mention of their brand is ++ to google and helps HostSailor. So their annoying ad works, in that respect.

personally, I have blocked them, they are distracting in general and cause the side bar to expand too much. I do think there are better solutions than this geocities-esque approach.

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • LeviLevi Member

The rotten stench of PMS fumes is strong in this thread. OP is a long gone from this thread to psychiatric institution, but "discussion" still going strong... Natural question - who has the ADD problems here?

• What an idiotic