Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about tax - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about tax

2»

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

What all that means is that -

the end is nigh.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@jiggawattz said:
    Nope... EU started the concept of taxing digital services and requiring all sellers globally to collect and remit tax, regardless if they are registered in Europe (or not.)

Enforcement is a different matter entirely. But I would expect that two entities which do the same thing would mutually agree to enforce each others tax laws, at some point. This will become more common soon. Even some U.S. states have started doing it too.

I'm EU seller and if I sell to Indonesia, guess it's Indonesia who should enforce something on me (to collect their taxes and transfer back to them) - will they? And there should be some type of agreements. Agreements should be everywhere then. I don't have to pay (most of the) taxes to countries I'm not citizen of.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jiggawattz said: Your state TX lost some of the most tax revenue during this pandemic so far... I bet TX is the next state to start taxing digital services as well.

Hope not, they got more from me this last year than any year I've lived thus far lol

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It will happen soon. I see more countries enforcing digital goods tax.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited March 2021

@vero said:
    I'm EU seller and if I sell to Indonesia, guess it's Indonesia who should enforce something on me (to collect their taxes and transfer back to them) - will they? And there should be some type of agreements. Agreements should be everywhere then. I don't have to pay (most of the) taxes to countries I'm not citizen of.

EU started the concept of taxing digital services and requiring all sellers in the world to collect and remit this tax to the EU member states of their EU customers.

In practice, all European companies and large corporates in the world do this now. Smaller companies still ignore it without any problems. It's just not practical (or even possible) for an EU tax office to harass some small shop in some odd corner of the planet, and vice versa for the Indonesian tax office.

But I do see a future where governments agree to cooperate on tax matters like this. It probably will become international law at some point.

@jiggawattz said:
    EU started the concept of taxing digital services and requiring all sellers in the world to collect and remit this tax to the EU member states of their EU customers.

This didn't happen yesterday and it still doesn't work as it should, because how the hell would EU reach sellers throughout the world? Whole situation should be handled differently.

So buying from EU providers for people from other countries still won't be taxed. Well, some countries (like Russia) has the requirement to collect VAT for them, but I doubt any EU seller do this (perhaps only major ones).

edited March 2021

@vero said: because how the hell would EU reach sellers throughout the world?

... through tax treaties and international agreements and all the things governments use in the world to cooperate with each other.

Whole situation should be handled differently.

No, it's done correctly and will become more common over time.

but I doubt any EU seller do this (perhaps only major ones).

Correct. I think a few large hosts like Hetzner collect the Putin tax, but as I said, it's still a lot of laws and not a lot of global agreement yet. But that is changing.

In the EU, for example, every year more companies which are not located in Europe have started to comply. This just started in 2014 (iirc) so it's still relatively new concept.

@jiggawattz said:
    But that is changing.

Then global climate change is far more urgent concern.

@jiggawattz said:
    ... through tax treaties and international agreements and all the things governments use in the world to cooperate with each other.

And the world peace could also emerge as a side product of these agreements.

edited March 2021

@vero said: Then global climate change is far more urgent concern.

It's more complex to get global agreement on climate change because 1. no country wants to hinder their own economy while 2. yielding an advantage to other non-complying countries.

But every country on the planet wants to collect taxes from its citizens. That's why they make tax laws.

@vero said: And the world peace could also emerge as a side product of these agreements.

But the lack of world peace is because countries have conflicting objectives. This is not true for collecting taxes.

@jiggawattz said:
    It's more complex to get global agreement on climate change because 1. no country wants to hinder their own economy while 2. yielding an advantage to other non-complying countries.

I mean climate is changing faster than the progress of these agreements.

But every country on the planet wants to collect taxes from its citizens. That's why they make tax laws.

Laws, that apply within their authority.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@logaritse said:

@thedp said:

@logaritse said: more than 2 years with them

So for the past 2 years you weren't taxed and all of a sudden you're being taxed and have been taxed since the beginning of this year?

Then you should just get in touch with them and have them clarify things with you for peace of mind.

If mail doesn't work, call.

Nope, no tax at all. They begin charge recurring tax start from januari 2021.

They already give explanation, their company is registered in my country and they start to collecting tax.

Well, that's a good explanation, and your country should benefit as a result. :)

Thanked by 2vero logaritse
  • @angstrom said: and your country should benefit as a result.

How so?

This means that @logaritse basically has 10% less disposable income to spend, and someone's spending is basically someone else's income, and who says Indonesia knows how to spend money better than OP ?

@angstrom said:
    Well, that's a good explanation, and your country should benefit as a result. :)

OP should be really thankful to his country for charging him this small, because he wouldn't get less than 19% anywhere in EU. If he would be citizen of EU. But since he's not, he should skip his provider and buy from EU. And pay 0% taxes.

That's not really an advice. That's grievance for paying shitload of taxes while living here in EU.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jiggawattz said:

@angstrom said: and your country should benefit as a result.

How so?

This means that @logaritse basically has 10% less disposable income to spend, and someone's spending is basically someone else's income, and who says Indonesia knows how to spend money better than OP ?

Note that I said "should benefit": in a fair and responsible system of taxation, the country (i.e., the country's residents) should benefit as a result of taxation.

Of course, in an unfair and irresponsible system of taxation, the country as whole won't benefit as a result of taxation, unfortunately.

I wanted to leave open whether Indonesia's system of taxation is fair and responsible, or unfair and irresponsible, or somewhere between these two.

edited March 2021

I think I'll put "Taxation is fair" in my signature and become troll.

Thanked by 1logaritse
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2021

@jiggawattz said:

@vero said: because how the hell would EU reach sellers throughout the world?

International relations are pretty much ripe for a revisiting of that old fight.

You’re always the hero of your own story and the villain of someone else’s. The older I get, the more relevant that phrase seems to be. That and “history is written by the victors.” They age well.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@jar said:

@vero said:

@jar said:
    I feel that pain deep in my testicular region, where it frequently kicks me.

I remember that awful feeling.. And life expectancy may suffer. But it's possible to set up business in such way, that you won't experience these kicks in weeks. Takes time and other parts of body can still be striked occasionally though.

Most fun has been payroll taxes for employer and employee. As both, it’s like being split roasted by two old white men, which happens to not be my fetish.

S corp is passthru. If you're getting taxed at the corporate and personal level and not seeking foreign investments, it may be time to transition your C to S subchapter.

Edit: to be clear you pay both halves via self-employment tax if you don't incorporate. S corp or LLC provides some liability protection as long as you don't pierce the ol' corporate veil. State taxes get collected on sales based upon nexus agreements, for which there are many now for US residents.

Thanked by 1jar