Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about tax
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about tax

logaritselogaritse Member
edited March 2021 in General

I'm not US resident, but i'm using USA Business Hosting and recently (from january 2021) they added recurring tax to my monthly invoice. As far as i know there is no tax for non us resident or may be i'm wrong ?. I'm asking their billing dept they didn't give explanation.

note : been more than 2 years with them.

Please i need some enlightment here.

Thank you

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If it's physical goods, such tax can be avoided.

If it's digital service that is rendered on their location, sometimes the tax will be applied.

That's probably the explanation.

Thanked by 2TimboJones logaritse
  • @deank said:
    If it's physical goods, such tax can be avoided.

If it's digital service that is rendered on their location, sometimes the tax will be applied.

That's probably the explanation.

yeah, may be. But why now, not from 2 years ago lol
    and they said if i need tax reimbursment i should ask my local tax authority.

It depends on the local law, their law, not yours.

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

Do they say on the invoice what type of tax you are being charged? E.g. State Tax or VAT Tax etc.

Thanked by 1logaritse
  • In most cases, this is related to the address provided in your account personal information. Some providers may require supporting documents.
    You can ask the provider how foreigners are exempt from tax.

Thanked by 1logaritse
  • It said "Total Recurring Tax"

Total Recurring Fee
    $492.87
    Total Recurring Tax
    $49.30

Well, sue them.

• @jackywood said:
    In most cases, this is related to the address provided in your account personal information. Some providers may require supporting documents.
    You can ask the provider how foreigners are exempt from tax.

Yes. I'm already provided my tax id and show i'm not us resident.
    I need some good explanation, if i'm being charged for tax then remitted my country i'm okay. If not .. still seeking the law that applied.

@logaritse what is the country you have registered on your profile with this company? Is it an EU country?

• What country is in your billing/physical address?

• @HostMedia said:
    @logaritse what is the country you have registered on your profile with this company? Is it an EU country?

i'm Asia - Indonesia.

• I'm looking for tax charging information at their website but can't find it, like AWS - https://aws.amazon.com/tax-help/

They clearly give information about tax for non us resident.

Would seem like they are applying a US-based state tax onto your invoices which depending on the state could be required by them to do to everyone.

• @jiggawattz said:
    What country is in your billing/physical address?

I'm using indonesian address.

Like I said in my first reply, it depends on local tax laws.

I suggest you read over their local tax laws. Some places do require "services" to be taxed no matter where it is sold to.

• logaritselogaritse Member
    edited March 2021

Got the explanation, their business also registered in my country thats why they collect tax from ID residents. Thank you all :)

Case Closed <

But if company isn't not registered in my country they should not collect the tax right ?

Again, it depends.

• @deank said:
    Again, it depends.

All right, thank you for the information deank.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There’s no room for discussion whether they’re right or wrong. They’re not going to pay any tax professional to answer your questions, they’re either doing what they were told to do by theirs or using it to pocket extra cash. Also possible they live in California and they’re taxed for merely existing so they’re passing it on. But they may not know how to answer you and they won’t pay for time from a legal professional just to answer it, they’ll expect you to hire your own to answer your questions.

Thanked by 1logaritse
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@logaritse said:
    But if company isn't not registered in my country they should not collect the tax right ?

Just buy from European provider and you won't be taxed.

• @vero said:

@logaritse said:

Thank you for the clue, unfortunately i'm already satisfied with their service.

• @jar said:
    There’s no room for discussion whether they’re right or wrong. They’re not going to pay any tax professional to answer your questions, they’re either doing what they were told to do by theirs or using it to pocket extra cash. Also possible they live in California and they’re taxed for merely existing so they’re passing it on. But they may not know how to answer you and they won’t pay for time from a legal professional just to answer it, they’ll expect you to hire your own to answer your questions.

Yes but at least they show in their billing FAQ and make tax section like AWS so customer won't confused. Because suddenly this recurring tax is exist.

Thanks

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@logaritse said: more than 2 years with them

So for the past 2 years you weren't taxed and all of a sudden you're being taxed and have been taxed since the beginning of this year?

Then you should just get in touch with them and have them clarify things with you for peace of mind.

If mail doesn't work, call.

• @thedp said:

@logaritse said: more than 2 years with them

So for the past 2 years you weren't taxed and all of a sudden you're being taxed and have been taxed since the beginning of this year?

Then you should just get in touch with them and have them clarify things with you for peace of mind.

If mail doesn't work, call.

Nope, no tax at all. They begin charge recurring tax start from januari 2021.

They already give explanation, their company is registered in my country and they start to collecting tax.

You can always sue to get more money back.

The mental agony you had to go through, fights that the tax incurred with your other half, demand 50,000 for damages.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • logaritselogaritse Member
    edited March 2021

@deank said:
    You can always sue to get more money back.

The mental agony you had to go through, fights that the tax incurred with your other half, demand 50,000 for damages.

hehe lol. Just want to make sure where the money goes, if remitted to my country i will not sue them. Just let my customer know that i'm double taxed doh

@logaritse said:
    i'm double taxed doh

I feel that pain deep in my testicular region, where it frequently kicks me.

Thanked by 1vero
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

I remember that awful feeling.. And life expectancy may suffer. But it's possible to set up business in such way, that you won't experience these kicks in weeks. Takes time and other parts of body can still be striked occasionally though.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited March 2021

@vero said:

@jar said:

I remember that awful feeling.. And life expectancy may suffer. But it's possible to set up business in such way, that you won't experience these kicks in weeks. Takes time and other parts of body can still be striked occasionally though.

Most fun has been payroll taxes for employer and employee. As both, it’s like being split roasted by two old white men, which happens to not be my fetish.

• @logaritse said:

@jiggawattz said:
    What country is in your billing/physical address?

I'm using indonesian address.

So, a quick Google search https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-tax-digital-idINKBN28B4RK

Indonesia now collects 10% VAT on digital services, which is precisely $49.30 of $492.87

You probably know your government's websites better than I do, so you can confirm.

@vero said:

Nope... EU started the concept of taxing digital services and requiring all sellers globally to collect and remit tax, regardless if they are registered in Europe (or not.)

Enforcement is a different matter entirely. But I would expect that two entities which do the same thing would mutually agree to enforce each others tax laws, at some point. This will become more common soon. Even some U.S. states have started doing it too.

@jar said: Also possible they live in California and they’re taxed for merely existing so they’re passing it on.

Your state TX lost some of the most tax revenue during this pandemic so far... I bet TX is the next state to start taxing digital services as well. :smiley:

Thanked by 2TimboJones logaritse