Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is happening to Virmach? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is happening to Virmach?

Comments

• @miroc said: their "explanation" usually consists of them blaming literally everything they can think of

Not sure why you are saying that. Maybe you didn't read the text or we didn't get the same version. Of course they are not gonna say "Yeah we removed VNC because we like drama". He wrote couple of time they should have handled that better and you are still saying they blame other ? When you try to trash someone, bring some actual fact and don't go full bullshit, you don't have any point.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@yoursunny said:

Since I bought the 999 special, all my support tickets are answered within minutes, and I'm getting full HD on VNC sessions.
    If you want faster support, you need to buy a bigger package.

Thank you, we were nearly ready to file for bankruptcy but then you purchased the 999 package. I have allocated you personal support rep, he is not allowed to sleep and your tickets are sent directly to him in Morse code via electrical shocks.

^^^

@TimboJones used to think the claim that I bought the 999 plan is disputed, but now it has been confirmed.

• no one seem ge the lottery, try again next time. They'll keep coming

• DevasDevas Member
    edited February 2021

@VirMach said: I actually just answered your ticket, weird coincidence. It came up in the queue, well not just answered it, maybe five tickets ago so I'll be able to give a pretty detailed response fairly quickly.

Hi Soheil. Thank you for your comprehensive response in this thread. As I've just mentioned on the ticket I confirm that the VPS is finally working fine after the migration and reconfiguring the network. I want to answer a few points you raised here so that we can finally close this overdue issue. I'm also happy that you recognize this entire situation was poorly handled by Virmach and that there are lessons to be learned from this sad affair. Needless to say that this was an extremely frustrating experience.

@VirMach said: The ticket was reported as a panel issue, and not any type of outage/other situation that would be marked as severe/high priority on our end

The issue was opened as a "VNC error" under the category of "service issues". Not really any other alternative there to open a different issue - the service was not offline, it showed as online and was waiting for me to unlock the disk. The issue was stated on my original ticket and should have clearly shown the severity of the problem. There is no option on the tickets to mark them as urgent; there is no "priority support" option available. The only other option would be to open a technical support under "other options" that are marked as "may take longer". In any case, the original ticket stated the problem and I included the steps your automated response before submission advises to - trying external VNC program, changing password and rebooting, checking firewall. If you think there are issues that deserve priority or urgent attention you must make that option available to the clients.

@VirMach said: You did not initially select a service. This was not a huge impact overall, but any time you have multiple services and it's an urgent situation it's best to have the service initially selected.

I clearly remember my frustration when your initial response (the one 3 days later) was a one phrase to inquiry what service it was related to. It was frustrating because I had the impression I had selected the service (as I always do unless that option is unavailable). In any case, I only have one service in the Netherlands and the VNC IP included in the ticket clearly indicated it was the node in the Netherlands. I felt that first answer was just stalling while for 3 days I couldn't access the service. The next answer (the infamous "hacker encrypted your files" one) was 13 days after that.

@VirMach said: If you have something outside of being considered "normal" then please do state it. A lower-tier tech replied here and unfortunately noticed the encryption and since it was not mentioned and you only mentioned checking firewall, VNC password, and rebooting. We do get a lot of similar reports where the person is actually hacked and it's encrypted by the hacker. So this is the response you received here, after waiting some time.

I still can't believe you are defending that reply. Not sure what is normal for you - I think it is the most basic, elementary thing to do when contracting a VPS to encrypt a disk you do not have physical control over. I can't believe people contract a VPS service, use it to store data and do not encrypt the disk. Encryption for me is the normal - if a disk is encrypted I would naturally assume that the user did it and that it contains data. The only VPS or servers I don't have encrypted are the ones I use exclusively as a VPN (I actually have one of those with you in Buffallo) and the ones that are idle.
    That answer is not acceptable, especially after 2 weeks without access to the service. In the very least the technician should have inquired if I had encrypted the VPS, not assume I am some idiot that doesn't know how to protect his machine and that some hacker encrypted his files. That was a surreal and almost insulting response 2 weeks into the issue.

@VirMach said: When creating this ticket, it does appear you selected "yes" to if we can access your server, and also checked the box allowing a reboot. In response to the above, you got angry with us for checking this and here is where you provided additional details.

I got frustrated and angry because of what I just stated above. After 2 weeks without access to the service I have one of your technicians accusing me of incompetence in protecting my server, without even questioning if I had been the one encrypting the disk, and not offering any help (or even mentioning) to sort out the issue raised in my ticket - the inability to access the VNC server. That reply was not, and is not, acceptable. If I had to wait two weeks to have that reply I could already see it would be a long time until I would regain access to my server. In spite of my frustration (I'm glad you picked it up from the ticket I wrote, as that was the intention) I hope you recognize I was really patient for two months dealing with this sad affair.

@VirMach said: As you were asked for more information, you were unfortunately extremely and rightfully frustrated by this point,

I'm glad that you recognize my right to be frustrated.

@VirMach said: Ticket was in queue for migration, and you made several replies to it. These replies, with the initial one kicking it out of the proper queue, constantly bump up your ticket and kick it out of the queue. This requires a reflag and generally slows down ticket responses in almost every case

As I just mentioned on the ticket, it's difficult to understand this point as in two separate occasions you answered my ticket within a few minutes. Sometimes takes 20 days, sometimes it takes 5 minutes. I'm having a though time understanding our your queue system works. The reply after 30 minutes was simply saying "thank you" for finally sorting out the issue after 2 months and when I thought you were coming back to me within minutes to tell me the migration was completed - that was 2 days before I started this thread.

@VirMach said: In addition to this, you did also have multiple tickets. This also delays things because we have to merge your tickets first, and then read/review both tickets rather than one.

As already mentioned here, I opened a new ticket exactly one month into the ordeal in the hope to raise an urgent flag. This was in the 20 days while in the "special priority queue" and the tickets were merged immediately (never even had any answer to that second ticket); one month before the migration took place.

@VirMach said: Initial response was 3 days, then the response after that was 12 days later. Then 1 day for the next response, then 20 days in the VNC queue, 5 days for the next response, 5 hours for the next response, 3 days for the next, 1 day for the next, and 1-3 days for the last depending on how you count it.

As already mentioned above, the initial 3 days response (personally handled by you) was simply to ask what service the ticket was referring to - a simple examination of the ticket would have made that evident. The next one, as you pointed out, was 12 days later - so the first meaningful response was actually 15 days after opening the ticket and was only to tell me i was poor at securing my service and a hacker had encrypted my filesystem. No one asking me if i had encrypted the disk myself, what specific issues were happening with VNC, no attention at all to the problem. The response 1 day after that (also personally handled by you) was to apologize for the mindless and incompetent answer from your technician (after my angry and frustrated follow-up) and to tell me that this was going back on the priority queue - your exact words were "I'll leave the note now and flag this back to the priority queue. Hopefully, the VNC feature will be fixed soon." - where it stayed for 20 days more! So the next meaningful message after the first reply was 21 days after the first response, 36 days after opening the ticket. That was when you told me the issue was caused by me encrypting the disk. Just to put the replies you refer to in context.

@VirMach said: Whether or not it is hard to believe, I can confirm this issue has never once appeared outside of this case recently, and perhaps one other single case recently (not confirmed yet) in our nearly 7 years in business and half a million tickets answered.

Fair enough - in 6 years in sysadmin, using literally dozens of different providers in the intervening years (some good, some abysmally bad), this was the only time I ever had a problem accessing a VPS through VNC to unlock the disk.

@VirMach said: We stated that we are migrating the server. The plan was to migrate it, and then also send a copy over to your SFTP details. The migration was started. The migration did also complete.

I will quote your exact words here:
    "I am beginning the migration now, and will proceed with SFTP transfer as well once migration completes."
    I admit that I did not check if the VPS had gained a new IP and that was the only way I could have inferred that the migration had happened as you never came back to me on that. I did check several times a day the server I was using to receive the disk image that was supposed to have been uploaded after the migration, and after 2 days there was no disk image - fair to conclude (especially after these 2 months) that the migration also had not taken place. I closed that sftp access almost 1 week after providing you the access details.

@VirMach said: I do want to re-iterate here that this situation would most definitely qualify for free priority support.

I want to re-iterate, I do not see any possibility to submit a priority support within your ticket system.

@VirMach said: To be very clear, we 100% agree with you here.
    Under no circumstance is it expected that a customer have no access to VNC, especially for an extended period of time.

Thank you!

As you rightly pointed out, I have been a customer for a fair amount of time and untill now I haven't had any reason to complaint considering the services I have with you but this entire ordeal has seriously dented my trust in your services. I do appreciate extending the subscription term. But most importantly, I hope there are lessons learned here and that there are serious amends to the way the ticket system works, the type of assistance that is given to critical issues such as this one, andd the type of inferrences that are done when replying to your customers. I hope we can conclude this sad affair and that it will not repeat itself in the future.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint kkrajk
  • @yoursunny said:

@yoursunny said:

Since I bought the 999 special, all my support tickets are answered within minutes, and I'm getting full HD on VNC sessions.
    If you want faster support, you need to buy a bigger package.

Thank you, we were nearly ready to file for bankruptcy but then you purchased the 999 package. I have allocated you personal support rep, he is not allowed to sleep and your tickets are sent directly to him in Morse code via electrical shocks.

^^^

@TimboJones used to think the claim that I bought the 999 plan is disputed, but now it has been confirmed.

You are mistaken. I always knew you bought the package, but by using a bot buying by getting fooled and not by intentional purchase. Saying you intended to buy it as a joke after the fact since LET would ban you and people would hate you if they knew you used purchase bot on flash deals.

• Tl;dr

If you're the type to whine about being insulted when working with an amateur support agent who didn't insult you but was just inexperienced, keep the complaints and hostility until after issue is resolved.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint skorous
  • @Devas said:
    As with all my VPS, I usually install the OS from ISO and encrypt the disk - because I do not know what happens to the disks when they are decommissioned - which requires me to have VNC access to unlock them.

Look into dropbear-initramfs if using a Debian derivative - can unlock over SSH instead of VNC

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

You are mistaken. I always knew you bought the package, but by using a bot buying by getting fooled and not by intentional purchase. Saying you intended to buy it as a joke after the fact since LET would ban you and people would hate you if they knew you used purchase bot on flash deals.

If I had a purchase bot, I would have snagged the €1 legendary deal from HostSolutions.
    Since I didn't get that one, it proves that I don't have a purchase bot.

Nobody hates me because @Nekki has rated me as the hottest guy on LET.

Thanked by 2Sanjue007 ariq01
  • @VirMach please check inbox. Thanks!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@BharatB said:
    I think this is because Soheil has made any outsourced support obsolete, also I assume the costs you're paying isn't going to get you priority support. I don't think Virmach as a whole is at fault here.

@o_be_one sad you didn't mention me among those names ( I'm not cheap but our support is as excellent as our fellow providers ) :) I think @MikePT and @seriesn can testify on my behalf :)

Agreed.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

If I had a purchase bot, I would have snagged the €1 legendary deal from HostSolutions.

That's some seriously bad logic. The story just doesn't make sense when you're making the salary you do and spend hours on very low end servers, 384MB cheap as shit servers. You could also just be bipolar or something.

Hottest guys are hated the most.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

You said in another thread that you can't afford NB, but you still get that crazy fat vps ? I would support @TimboJones with his bipolar theory.

@ben47955 said:
    You said in another thread that you can't afford NB, but you still get that crazy fat vps ? I would support @TimboJones with his bipolar theory.

The 999 package was purchased for giggles.

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

That's some seriously bad logic. The story just doesn't make sense when you're making the salary you do and spend hours on very low end servers, 384MB cheap as shit servers.

I wanted to upload the video of me clicking the purchase button while giggling, but it's stored on @RaveX shared Google Drive and he deleted my account.

Upload a picture of you doing squats, and let's see whether you are hot.

• @yoursunny said:

@ben47955 said:

So you are confirming my point ?

@ben47955 said:

@yoursunny said:

@ben47955 said:

So you are confirming my point ?

Well, the 999 package comes with a personal support agent, and that's more important than the crazy fat VPS.
    I created a ticket asking them to be my boyfriend / girlfriend, but got a rejection; they wouldn't even open the pod bay doors for me.
    After that, the heartbroken me canceled the server, despite that there's no refund.

• @yoursunny said:

@ben47955 said:

I know what I'd spend $999 on that would literally give me giggles (and then some). You get off on pushups, so I guess what makes you giggle is different than the rest of the world. I just don't buy this reason, at all.

I'd think it would be funny for a fake video or meme acting like you're actually buying a useless, overpriced VPS, but not when someone without money to burn does it and then it's more pathetic and nonsensical.

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

That's some seriously bad logic. The story just doesn't make sense when you're making the salary you do and spend hours on very low end servers, 384MB cheap as shit servers.

I wanted to upload the video of me clicking the purchase button while giggling, but it's stored on @RaveX shared Google Drive and he deleted my account.

That $999 might have been better spent on local storage hardware.

"Check out that dude doing squats. He's so hot!"

-said by no one, ever.

The pushup/squats obsession is just a notch below dudes being obsessed with PMS in terms of creepiness.

• @ben47955 said:

@yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

Now I am heartbroken :heartbreak: damn @yoursunny

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@TimboJones said:

That $999 might have been better spent on local storage hardware.

Yes, I bought a PATA to USB 2.0 adapter, and have been storing photos on the local hard drive. However, it's making weird cranking noise at night that disturbs my sleep.

"Check out that dude doing squats. He's so hot!"

-said by no one, ever.

@Nekki declared me as hot guy after seeing my picture of doing squats.

The pushup/squats obsession is just a notch below dudes being obsessed with PMS in terms of creepiness.

Hundreds of viewers have watched me push-ups. See report.

@seriesn said:

Now I am heartbroken :heartbreak: damn @yoursunny

Is Bob gonna assign me a personal support agent that doubles as my girlfriend?
    I haven't touched a girl's hand for several years.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited February 2021

@yoursunny said: Is Bob gonna assign me a personal support agent that doubles as my girlfriend?

I mean for $999/year, sure. I will be your virtual girlfriend.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Congrats, LET.

You have your first virtual couple born from the forum.

Thanked by 2yoursunny seriesn

@seriesn said:

@yoursunny said: Is Bob gonna assign me a personal support agent that doubles as my girlfriend?

I mean for $999/year, Bob couldn't sell a VPS with 20 cores with a score above 1000 and 128GB RAM in Los Angeles, with or without girlfriend.
    Psychz and IOFlood want $200+ per month.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun Dec 13 13:42:01 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6240 CPU @ 2.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 20 @ 1000.618 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 125.8 GiB
    Swap       : 8.0 GiB
    Disk       : 1829.7 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 343.45 MB/s  (85.8k) | 217.13 MB/s   (3.3k)
    Write      | 344.36 MB/s  (86.0k) | 218.27 MB/s   (3.4k)
    Total      | 687.81 MB/s (171.9k) | 435.40 MB/s   (6.8k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 585.52 MB/s   (1.1k) | 734.55 MB/s    (717)
    Write      | 616.63 MB/s   (1.2k) | 783.47 MB/s    (765)
    Total      | 1.20 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.51 GB/s     (1.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.45 Gbits/sec  | 770 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.59 Gbits/sec  | 764 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 3.26 Gbits/sec  | 2.32 Gbits/sec 

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1037                          
    Multi Core      | 21923                         

If Bob would sell this spec at $999/year, I'll convince @deank to buy it.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2021

@Devas - If I may, I recommend you a data-at-rest encryption solution. For example, I use Veracrypt to encrypt my data. The encrypted partition becomes a huge file (you can have multiple files as partitions), and I just mount it when needed. Surely, you can also create a script to mount it at boot time, if you want, but then it kinda defeats the concept of data-at-rest.

Anyway, the beautiful aspect is that I don't have to use VNC for such management. It simplifies things because management is done by SSH, and if I want to protect my data from provider's outsourced low-level technical support, I simply dismount the partition, and leave the operating system open for their technical fixing (or migration, or whatever).

Thanked by 2Devas TimboJones
  • @yoursunny said:

@seriesn said:

I mean for $999/year, Bob couldn't sell a VPS with 20 cores with a score above 1000 and 128GB RAM in Los Angeles, with or without girlfriend.

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun Dec 13 13:42:01 UTC 2020

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6240 CPU @ 2.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 20 @ 1000.618 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 125.8 GiB
    Swap       : 8.0 GiB
    Disk       : 1829.7 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 343.45 MB/s  (85.8k) | 217.13 MB/s   (3.3k)
    Write      | 344.36 MB/s  (86.0k) | 218.27 MB/s   (3.4k)
    Total      | 687.81 MB/s (171.9k) | 435.40 MB/s   (6.8k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 585.52 MB/s   (1.1k) | 734.55 MB/s    (717)
    Write      | 616.63 MB/s   (1.2k) | 783.47 MB/s    (765)
    Total      | 1.20 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.51 GB/s     (1.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.45 Gbits/sec  | 770 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.59 Gbits/sec  | 764 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 3.26 Gbits/sec  | 2.32 Gbits/sec 

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1037                          
    Multi Core      | 21923                         

That wasn’t the deal!

@seriesn said:

@yoursunny said:

@seriesn said:

That wasn’t the deal!

This has always been the deal. It's in the spec of the 999 package.
    You can see the archived record on https://virmach.fat32.top around "13/12 10:52" UTC timestamp.

$999/yr
    KVM
    131072MB RAM
    20 vCORE
    2000GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

Moreover, buyer can cancel a $1 NAT container and claim the switcher bonus for 4 extra months, since nowhere in the rules says the previous plan has to be equivalent.
    It's $3200 value in hardware resources and a priceless girlfriend for $1000 payment, and Bob is looking at a $2200 net loss and emotional drain.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited February 2021

@yoursunny
    That's an insane deal, especially since it is xeon gold and not the old, cheap e5s. But did you seriously pay $999, only to cancel it immediately? You said you would have to sell a liver to be able to afford nexusbytes.

So, what did you sell to afford the $999?

@smallbibi said:
    @yoursunny
    That's an insane deal, especially since it is xeon gold and not the old, cheap e5s. But did you seriously pay $999, only to cancel it immediately? You said you would have to sell a liver to be able to afford nexusbytes.

PayPal transaction record:

I sold the F12 key on my keyboard to afford the $999.

• @yoursunny said:

@smallbibi said:
    @yoursunny

PayPal transaction record:

I sold the F12 key on my keyboard to afford the $999.

looks totally legit

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said:
    $999/yr
    KVM
    131072MB RAM
    20 vCORE
    2000GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

The bandwidth gimped it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:
    $999/yr
    KVM
    131072MB RAM
    20 vCORE
    2000GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

The bandwidth gimped it.

It was a nice server for scientific computation, such as predicting weather patterns.
    Thanks to the large RAM, I can even run multiple programs in parallel.

• edited February 2021

Alright, I'd like to point out that Virmach has fast & decent customer support in LowendHelpDesk rather than its ticker system

And any news about your push-ups? @yoursunny

Thanked by 1o_be_one