Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We're about to launch something very new at OnApp... - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We're about to launch something very new at OnApp...

Comments

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@ditlev said:

well, funny that - here at LET I am being told our pricing is way too high. At the same time current customers are emailing me saying that this new model will take away the 'exclusivity' of OnApp and invite a whole new segment on board to compete with their 'premium' service.

...My job ain't easy :)

I have much respect for OnApp, they we're once a big player with us small fish. While your prices are too high for me, wishing you luck upon your return.

Thank you!

Please consider a budget derivative of OnApp that would have LET level of prices.

We have removed the high entry barriers of OnApp by delivering it as a hosted service, with no configuration needed and starting at $50 instead of $1200 per month.
    We are still working on the price, but it will never be at a level where all of LET would be content.

Thanks again for your feedback!

:)
    D

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@ditlev said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@ditlev said:

well, funny that - here at LET I am being told our pricing is way too high. At the same time current customers are emailing me saying that this new model will take away the 'exclusivity' of OnApp and invite a whole new segment on board to compete with their 'premium' service.

...My job ain't easy :)

I have much respect for OnApp, they we're once a big player with us small fish. While your prices are too high for me, wishing you luck upon your return.

Thank you!

Please consider a budget derivative of OnApp that would have LET level of prices.

We have removed the high entry barriers of OnApp by delivering it as a hosted service, with no configuration needed and starting at $50 instead of $1200 per month.
    We are still working on the price, but it will never be at a level where all of LET would be content.

Thanks again for your feedback!

D

Ditlev,

Do consider extending the trial, 1 week isn't enough though.
    I haven't tested it intensively yet, but would like to explore further.

Ditlev,

HI - Mike, sorry that's not possible. We expect to have 100's of simultanious trials going, extending them longer than a week will not work out for us. Thanks for taking time to trying us out though.

D

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • OnApp is for big companies not a Lowendtalk community. Always has been always will be. Great product, high prices. It's like Hostbill for servers.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@ditlev said:

Ditlev,

HI - Mike, sorry that's not possible. We expect to have 100's of simultanious trials going, extending them longer than a week will not work out for us. Thanks for taking time to trying us out though.

D

Sure thing!

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Did anyone get the email on the 19th and check it out?

I still have a big issue with signing in.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@latic said: Did anyone get the email on the 19th and check it out?

I still have a big issue with signing in.

Hasn't it been confirmed that there isn't anything new here, it's just OnApp with different pricing?

The federation cloud stuff was promised when they bought SolusVM as well, infact there was all this talk that they were going to integrate it into SVM1 even.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Lee webcraft
    edited March 2021

@Francisco said:
    Hasn't it been confirmed that there isn't anything new here, it's just OnApp with different pricing?

The federation cloud stuff was promised when they bought SolusVM as well, infact there was all this talk that they were going to integrate it into SVM1 even.

Francisco

So, I guess 3 major changes:

1. At Cloud.net OnApp is delivered as a service. IE. you do not have to install anything or deal with hosting of the platform itself. It's literally a few clicks and you are up and running. We will keep it up to date and ensure it's patched and secured. The aim is to remove any technical barriers to entry. OnApp was much harder to setup, secure and manage when compared with SolusVM or similar platforms. Now it's significantly easier - and hosting of OnApp itself is included in the license fees.

2. As a part of this simplication we've also introduced super easy ways to add infrastructure through wizards. Same for billing plans etc. OnApp is very featurerich, sometimes perhaps a bit too featurerich for it's own good. So setting up everything could be quite a handful. Now, again it's a few clicks and your infrastructure/billing/users/etc is ready for business

3. And yes, the federation. The main change here is that we've introduced a new 'essential' plan where 1GB vm's are sold at $4/mdr. Those are top-of-the-line servers based on latest gen CPUs and NVME storage. $4 may not be low enough for the LET segment but for a lot of mass market customers that are selling VMs at $5-6/mo it's given them a no-cash-needed way to launch OnApp in a few mins, get some (DO/Linode/Lightsail-like) products on the shelves without having any significant up front $$ cost or dev ressources required.

And finally, pricing. OnApp starts at ~1200/mo, to some this entrybarrier was also an issue. Cloud.net starts at $50/mo ... and you'll actually get credited the full amount against federation use. So if you use the federation starting at $4/VM, OnApp itself is effectively free, you only pay for the infrastructure you source from the federation...though, minimum $50/mo. We are still working on pricing through the beta.

The wizards and setup process is still beta-ish, a little rough around the edges - however, OnApp itself, once setup and deployed, is solid and production ready.

D

edited March 2021

@ditlev said: At Cloud.net OnApp is delivered as a service. IE. you do not have to install anything or deal with hosting of the platform itself.

Great so it's SAAS and the host is reliant on you not getting DDOS'd into the ground or OVH'd. Lets ask @jar how things go when you use a cloud/saas VPS control panel.

Nothings changed in what was promised during SolusVM. All thats been shown is that it taken you 5+ years to get it done. Hire new devs because the ones you have are incompetent.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Lee webcraft angelius

@Francisco said:

@ditlev said: At Cloud.net OnApp is delivered as a service. IE. you do not have to install anything or deal with hosting of the platform itself.

Great so it's SAAS and the host is reliant on you not getting DDOS'd into the ground or OVH'd. Lets ask @jar how things go when you use a cloud/saas VPS control panel.

OVH’d is actually a term now :)

Sure, for some a SaaS solution is not right. Some will prefer Magento to Shopify, or SugarCRM over Salesforce. That’s fine, and personally I still expect the core OnApp self-hosted platform will be the predominant one for years to come - but I also see a lot of cases where an instantly setup SaaS platform works.

Nothings changed in what was promised during SolusVM. All thats been shown is that it taken you 5+ years to get it done. Hire new devs because the ones you have are incompetent.

I can’t quite understand the connection here, but no big deal. Thanks for your feedback either way...

D

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Ditlev, one question I did have. Based on the low cost to entry it 100% falls into the "summer host paradise" realm. Is there any protections in place for end customers?

Good question!
    We’ve had a few customers default in the past and in that case we’ve referred the end customers to other OnApp service providers.

I guess this would be a similar situation…

• > @latic said:
      > Ditlev, one question I did have. Based on the low cost to entry it 100% falls into the "summer host paradise" realm. Is there any protections in place for end customers?

OK - so, we've been discussing the pricing question internally for a very long time, and we now have a plan. We will soon be able to announce it, watch this space!

• LeviLevi Member

And advertising banner shine brightly here on LET :) . Even when pricing is not for this niche. Waste of money and ad space.

Thanked by 1webcraft

@LTniger said:
    And advertising banner shine brightly here on LET :) . Even when pricing is not for this niche. Waste of money and ad space.

Pricing - if you are at scale - is taken care of here: https://cloud.net/match-it/

• @ditlev said: Pricing - if you are at scale - is taken care of here: https://cloud.net/match-it/

I don't think most providers are using cloud-based dashboards (unless I misunderstand the terminology and SolusVM and Virtualizor are also considered cloud based)?

If my assumption is correct, who is the price match really for?

edited April 2021

@stevewatson301 said:

@ditlev said: Pricing - if you are at scale - is taken care of here: https://cloud.net/match-it/

I don't think most providers are using cloud-based dashboards (unless I misunderstand the terminology and SolusVM and Virtualizor are also considered cloud based)?

If my assumption is correct, who is the price match really for?

We would absolutely match pricing from SolusVM/IO, Virtualizor or ANY other commercial platform. Hosted or not.

edited April 2021

@ditlev said: We would absolutely match pricing from SolusVM/IO, Virtualizor or ANY other commercial platform. Hosted or not.

You sure? Because SolusVM & Virtualizor are $10/month per hardware node, regardless of components.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

@ditlev said: We would absolutely match pricing from SolusVM/IO, Virtualizor or ANY other commercial platform. Hosted or not.

You sure? Because SolusVM & Virtualizor are $10/month per hardware node, regardless of components.

Francisco

we understand the SolusVM pricing - we'll match it.

• cazrzcazrz Member

IMHO
    I'm really not sure what is the target market of cloud.net
    I think most providers with own hardware or servers wants self hosted solution.
    If you are targeting cloud/VM resellers then something like runcloud but self-hosted will sell.
    I think cloud.net is just a bait and switch. From $50/mo SaaS then upsell to self-hosted $1200/mo.

edited April 2021

@cazrz said:
    IMHO
    If you are targeting cloud/VM resellers then something like runcloud but self-hosted will sell.
    I think cloud.net is just a bait and switch. From $50/mo SaaS then upsell to self-hosted $1200/mo.

Just like some will prefer Magento over Shopify or SugarCRM over Salesforce, there will be those that would prefer a self-hosted cloudplatform over a hosted one.
    Cloud.net is ready for scale, it's not our aim to upsell you to the OnApp core platform. In fact, internally the teams that handle cloud.net are isolated from the core product.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:
    IMHO

Just like some will prefer Magento over Shopify or SugarCRM over Salesforce, there will be those that would prefer a self-hosted cloudplatform over a hosted one.
    Cloud.net is ready for scale, it's not our aim to upsell you to the OnApp core platform. In fact, internally the teams that handle cloud.net are isolated from the core product.

So one cannot migrate from cloud.net to self-hosted OnApp?

edited April 2021

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:
    IMHO

With OnApp you can migrate from anything to anything. Incl. OnApp to OnApp. My point was that we did not build this to sell more core OnApp.

We wanted to build something that was

• easier to setup and manage,
    • totally transparent from a pricing perspective,
    • gave access to world wide infrastructure via our federation and
    • priced aggressively enough for the majority of the market.

We felt the best way to do that was through a hosted version of OnApp.

D

• cazrzcazrz Member

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:
    IMHO

With OnApp you can migrate from anything to anything. Incl. OnApp to OnApp. My point was that we did not build this to sell more core OnApp.

D

Ah ok I see now it is a vm management system for resellers of your infra/vms but without billing system.

edited April 2021

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:
    IMHO

D

Ah ok I see now it is a vm management system for resellers of your infra/vms but without billing system.

No no - you can add your own hypervisors... Carlos made a video showing how here: https://cloud.net/cloud-net-video-walkthrough-to-first-vm/ - using servers from OVH, though, any server provider would work.

BUT you can also use infrastructure from the federation marketplace, again, Carlos did a short video here: https://cloud.net/using-cloud-net-marketplace-compute/

Makes sense?

• cazrzcazrz Member

$50 everything under the sun , unlimited cpu/cores/threads ???

• cazrzcazrz Member

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:
    IMHO

D

No no - you can add your own hypervisors... Carlos made a video showing how here: https://cloud.net/cloud-net-video-walkthrough-to-first-vm/ - using servers from OVH, though, any server provider would work.

BUT you can also use infrastructure from the federation marketplace, again, Carlos did a short video here: https://cloud.net/using-cloud-net-marketplace-compute/

Makes sense?

Would like to see more details on the website.

@cazrz said:

Hehe - take a moment at read this thread or https://cloud.net/features/. Pricing etc is there

We will match your current pricing at scale though: https://cloud.net/match-it/

• cazrzcazrz Member

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:

Hehe - take a moment at read this thread or https://cloud.net/features/. Pricing etc is there

Pricing details is sssoooo ssmmmaallllll I didnt notice. So its $1 per 1GB RAM. Very expensive then. So if one of my node has 128 then its $128/month for a software just to manage a single node?

@cazrz said:

@ditlev said:

@cazrz said:

Pricing details is sssoooo ssmmmaallllll I didnt notice. So its $1 per 1GB RAM. Very expensive then. So if one of my node has 128 then its $128/month for a software just to manage a single node?

that's it, unless you qualify for: https://cloud.net/match-it/