Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 15 years of whipping Llama’s Ass WINAMP gonna be silenced forever - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After 15 years of whipping Llama’s Ass WINAMP gonna be silenced forever

13»

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2013

1) I've been using Winamp since 1997

2) AOL, as usual, is retarded. No surprise there.

3) iTunes ate Winamp's lunch

4) AOL should at least open source it and let the community take care of it. Dropping it and throwing the source code away somewhere under lock and key is stupid

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

marcm said: AOL should at least open source it

Are you sure they will like everyone to know how bad their coding is ?

• Maounique said: Are you sure they will like everyone to know how bad their coding is ?

I can only imagine long variables, multiple lines of code that could have been compressed, but most of all outdated code from about 12 years ago or so. So I guess you're right, they don't.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Any good recommendations for big libraries? As in 500k+

marcm said: So I guess you're right, they don't.

This is a lose-lose situation for them.
    Don't give the code, you are a scrooge ass that prefer to kill a project than OS it;
    Give the code and either look bad coder or give out some secrets and backdoors.
    If I were them, I wouldnt open source it. There are enough clones out there.

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited January 2014

WinAMP has been bought by Radionomy and is now being migrated.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57617187-93/winamp-survives-to-play-for-new-owner/

• This is a day that I for one will be wearing black, death of an era. Thanks for posting it.

• It'll be interesting to see what direction the new owners on Winamp will take it. I'll probably stick with the last "official" version 5.666, at least for now.

• I kinda thought Winamp had died years ago. I stopped using it whenever AOL bought them and added a bunch of shit to it... 2002 or so?

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited January 2014

Huge vouch for MusicBee if anyone is looking for an alternative. I've been using it for the past few months (previously used foobar2000, WinAmp before that) and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Winamp 2.91 (is that the last cool version)?

• Since I'm living in Belgium I have to react :-)

Winamp will no longer be available from AOL, but from Radionomy (a Belgian company).
    They bought Winamp and made it clear they have some plans with it. (e.g. http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/aol-sells-winamp-and-shoutcast-for-5-10m-to-radionomy-takes-12-stake-in-belgian-digital-audio-company/)

I don't think Winamp is dead yet ...

netomx said: Winamp 2.91 (is that the last cool version)?

I believe so it was the one before it could play movies, iirc.