Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 15 years of whipping Llama’s Ass WINAMP gonna be silenced forever - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After 15 years of whipping Llama’s Ass WINAMP gonna be silenced forever

Comments

• @Spirit said:
    I was thinking the same, but I doubt that AOL would do this.

Well, AOL open-sourced Netscape after they bought it, which then became Mozilla which then became Firefox.

Thanked by 2Spirit AnthonySmith
  • i always use winamp when i was using windows at home

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited November 2013

@Spirit said:
    I still like and use it with old classic skin :)

Memoriess :) :)

Looking at this skin alone made me smile!

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Spirit best skin fornwinamp.. 2.91 the best version for me

• @Spirit said:
    I still like and use it with old classic skin :)

It reminds me back to 1997 :D

• Winamp has always been one of the first programs I install after a new Windows installation. Sad.

Anyone know the reason why it is to be discontinued? Been using it since v0.92

• Looks like Microsoft gonna acquire winamp & shoutcast from AOL

• ska said: Well, AOL open-sourced Netscape after they bought it, which then became Mozilla which then became Firefox.

It was always Mozilla ;)

• There are no better media players than Foobar2000 as far as audio content is concerned, so not really concerned.

Used to use it back in 2003-4, but never really got attached to it.

• emreemre Member, LIR

here you go..

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • emreemre Member, LIR

Audacious is the only reason I switched using Linux desktop :)

But I prefer the GTK interface...

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@joelgm said:
    Anyone know the reason why it is to be discontinued? Been using it since v0.92

Seems like AOL never knew what exactly to do with it since beginning they bough it. Last post made at winamp blog is exactly year old.

“There's no reason that Winamp couldn’t be in the position that iTunes is in today if not for a few layers of mismanagement by AOL that started immediately upon acquisition,” Rob Lord, the first general manager of Winamp, and its first-ever hire, told Ars.

Justin Frankel, Winamp's primary developer, seems to concur in an interview he gave to BetaNews. “I'm always hoping that they will come around and realize that they're killing [Winamp] and find a better way, but AOL always seems too bogged down with all of their internal politics to get anything done,” he said.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/06/winamp-how-greatest-mp3-player-undid-itself/

• AnthonySmith said: They should release the code in to public domain.

would be nice.

I still using winamp on my win7 laptop and win8 pc

the best i ever use

CTRL+J to search that song...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

I never saw Winamp as something that sought to be what iTunes is today. On one hand I was upset that AOL had no direction for it but on the other I was always a little happy inside that they didn't make it worse, something I'd known them to do since my first job with 'em at 16.

(Sue me, AOL. You made me tell people to run a scan disk and try again in an hour because telling them to reinstall drivers took too long and fixing their problem wasn't your goal. I'll tell this story until everyone's heard it.)

Sad to see it go. Certainly has quite the memories attached.

• Article from last year, but a good summary of what was going on at the time:
    http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/06/winamp-how-greatest-mp3-player-undid-itself/
    TLDR: AOL fucks up everything it touches

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

http://www.xmms.org/

I remember winamp since the days I was trying to find something to play mp3 on my 486 66 Mhz.
    Then I switch that box to linux because was too slow for windows.

• @peppr said:
    Looks like Microsoft gonna acquire winamp & shoutcast from AOL

Oh. So then you'd get blue-screening Music?

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

I am still using it and loving it.

• :'(

SegmentationFault said: AOL fucks up everything it touches

True true.......

• Would this affect NSIS?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Spirit said: @SpeedBus said: I found this one a week or 2 ago, http://www.clementine-player.org/ been pretty good since :)

Panic mass download, hehe? :)

error

Over Quota
    This application is temporarily over its serving quota. Please try again later.

haha, quiet possible, I've put my copy on dropbox if anyones interested,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/co74rd29f5h2cvg/ClementineSetup-1.2.0.exe

• Foobar2000, Audacious, Xmms are damn good ones as mentioned.

• i use winamp since it early version but i switch to amp player a few years ago , i remember i go to cyber cafe and download winamp and save it in to floppy disk

• I'm just waiting for the domain to drop in 2015 now lol :)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • OkieDoke said: I'm just waiting for the domain to drop in 2015 now lol :)

So you can buy it ;) hopefully you will use it for good :|

I am not a regular WINAMP user though, not a good thing by AOL

If source code will help continuing the software it should be welcomed with both hands :)

• @MikeIn just to make sure it's reputation remains intact.

• So, what remains (and can still be created / fixed):

+ Possible new fixes (in various forms according to DrO)
        + Gracenote database recognition
        + Crash reporter in Winamp 5.66 (in case of emergency)
        + New Plugins and plugins updates (will be uploaded in other sites)
        + Skins (newer and updates if needed)
        + SDK updates (80% chances to stay)
        + Ability to install Winamp in newer machines
        + Pro features (unlocked in final version!)

What is lost

- Online services (like Now playing, MoodAgent, etc). The good thing about it is that now people can use / create custom services to use with it, like Broser Pro or Reader already does in cPro skins.
        - Shoutcast (access, not the ability to play something alike, almost 100% confirmed, but there are alternatives like Icecast)
        - Nullsoft TV (Idem, if you have the links you´re good, get some here)
        - Winamp.com
        - Winamp.com Forums (there is: winampforum.com, not official of course, but it nicely replicates the old one)
        - Winamp.com skins (not critical, there´s DeviantArt / 1001skins)
        - Winamp.com plugins (later it will be uploaded somewhere)
        - Winamp Android app (to be confirmed, but it´s unlikely to stay, probably it will be removed from Google Play. See this thread for more info / precautions)
        - Winamp MAC application)
        - Support for Windows 8 (although community will do its best to help you, take it for granted)
        - Support for Windows 9 (what? Yes, when it comes..)
        - Winamp Cloud (already dead, never got out of beta)

The good news (yes! there are!)

# People can now create Online services
        # Winamp can still be improved by plugins. Tutorials are all over internet and there will still be some devs to ask to in case of emergency.
        # There can still be "life" for Winamp after this, if enough Plugin developers join again, A LOT OF IMPROVEMENTS CAN STILL BE DONE. Now more than ever, the power to make Winamp even better is in Community´s hands.
        # DrO, the main dev of Winamp 5.66 (among other things..) will keep on working on his plugins, let´s help him in what we can and don´t forget that, as usual he only does it for the love to Winamp, no money was ever gained from this.. so keep that in mind when requesting / asking.
        # Last but not least, personal thinking.. if AOL is not interested any more in Winamp, then now more than ever is more likely that someone could buy it and start to do things like it should`ve been done years ago.. or set it free to the community. Maybe this is not an end, maybe it is just changing air...

Source: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=373778 (with links to additional details and sources)