Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to ask if the provider netcup.eu is a fool - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I want to ask if the provider netcup.eu is a fool

Comments

• @codydoby said:

@ViridWeb said:

@codydoby said:

@angstrom said:
    No, netcup aren't fools, but they are cautious.

You need to prove that your given home address is really your home address (and you need to use your home address, not your university address).

As for the picture, they probably mean a picture of you holding your ID, both clearly visible.

I have told him I am student.

For the first time, I ordered with the address of my school and I have sent him certificate of enrollment issued by the school, in both Chinese and English.

For the second time I ordered with the address of my dorm room. Same certificate is sent.

For the third time, I do not know how to prove the address of my home now. Because the name on electricity bill is my father's.

And electricity bill is in Chinese rather than Enligsh.

You did wrong when you use your school address on your first order.

That's how you lost trust of that provider.

As a provider we will never accept a client or ask more proof when he or she use wrong address on the first attempt.

No matter if you are 10 years old or 90 years, legal address means your residential address and not your school address.

I didn’t fill in the address randomly. I explained my situation to him for the first time. I said I was a student and I didn’t know how to provide the address proof. When thinking about how to prove it, I think I can prove that my address is school by proving that I am studying at school. Then I went to the school's academic affairs office to issue an enrollment certificate, which happened to be in both Chinese and English.

In China, the address of my dormitory is almost the address of the school. Although I can be more specific, that is, what my dormitory number is, but if I want to prove my dormitory number, I really can’t do it, the dormitory administrator It is impossible to provide a bill of utility bills to each of our dorms. I think I can’t provide him with a more acceptable address.

I wonder if I have made my basic situation clear? As a service provider, how do you think my current situation can meet your service provider’s address requirements?

So you can't receive post mail or deliveries to your dorm? That is fucked up, as westerners are used to university kids having mail access.

Fucking China.

• JioJio Member
    edited February 2021

@TimboJones said: So you can't receive post mail or deliveries to your dorm? That is fucked up, as westerners are used to university kids having mail access.

I'm currently at a top 3 US engineering university (doing a masters) and my mail address does not match my "dorm address" and does not match my physical building. Netcup would probably throw a fit over this.

Depending on shipper I have to use either the mailing address (which is a centralised mail stop type thing) or the building's university-given name like "timbo hall". If it's a local courier like uber eats or doordash I have to give the physical building address and street number, which I cannot get any postal mail to.

The university owns the entire postcode and instead of buildings or unit numbers you have things like building names and mail stops. dorm physical location is basically good for in person deliveries like uber eats, and even then you have to meet them outside the gate. No USPS or UPS etc. Those need to go to the central mailing services.

You can send a letter to just [name], university of xxx, postcode. with nothing else and it will arrive successfully, though taking a while.

• @TimboJones said:

@codydoby said:

@ViridWeb said:

@codydoby said:

@angstrom said:

You need to prove that your given home address is really your home address (and you need to use your home address, not your university address).

As for the picture, they probably mean a picture of you holding your ID, both clearly visible.

For the first time, I ordered with the address of my school and I have sent him certificate of enrollment issued by the school, in both Chinese and English.

For the second time I ordered with the address of my dorm room. Same certificate is sent.

For the third time, I do not know how to prove the address of my home now. Because the name on electricity bill is my father's.

As a provider we will never accept a client or ask more proof when he or she use wrong address on the first attempt.

No matter if you are 10 years old or 90 years, legal address means your residential address and not your school address.

I didn’t fill in the address randomly. I explained my situation to him for the first time. I said I was a student and I didn’t know how to provide the address proof. When thinking about how to prove it, I think I can prove that my address is school by proving that I am studying at school. Then I went to the school's academic affairs office to issue an enrollment certificate, which happened to be in both Chinese and English.

In China, the address of my dormitory is almost the address of the school. Although I can be more specific, that is, what my dormitory number is, but if I want to prove my dormitory number, I really can’t do it, the dormitory administrator It is impossible to provide a bill of utility bills to each of our dorms. I think I can’t provide him with a more acceptable address.

I wonder if I have made my basic situation clear? As a service provider, how do you think my current situation can meet your service provider’s address requirements?

So you can't receive post mail or deliveries to your dorm? That is fucked up, as westerners are used to university kids having mail access.

Fucking China.

If the address is written in the dormitory, it can be delivered accurately. Because the postman knows which dormitory is in which place. But how to provide valid certificates to prove is a problem.

• @codydoby said:

@TimboJones said:

@codydoby said:

@ViridWeb said:

@codydoby said:

@angstrom said:

Fucking China.

If the address is written in the dormitory, it can be delivered accurately. Because the postman knows which dormitory is in which place. But how to provide valid certificates to prove is a problem.

Just provide THAT mailing address!

Proper systems will ask for physical and shipping addresses to help clarify that, but just use your dorm mailing address in the future.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Jio said:

@TimboJones said: So you can't receive post mail or deliveries to your dorm? That is fucked up, as westerners are used to university kids having mail access.

I'm currently at a top 3 US engineering university (doing a masters) and my mail address does not match my "dorm address" and does not match my physical building. Netcup would probably throw a fit over this.

Depending on shipper I have to use either the mailing address (which is a centralised mail stop type thing) or the building's university-given name like "timbo hall". If it's a local courier like uber eats or doordash I have to give the physical building address and street number, which I cannot get any postal mail to.

The university owns the entire postcode and instead of buildings or unit numbers you have things like building names and mail stops. dorm physical location is basically good for in person deliveries like uber eats, and even then you have to meet them outside the gate. No USPS or UPS etc. Those need to go to the central mailing services.

You can send a letter to just [name], university of xxx, postcode. with nothing else and it will arrive successfully, though taking a while.

That's also fucked up. I'm pretty sure I could receive mail while on vacation at Mexico all inclusives by specifying building and unit number.

• @Jio said:

Yes. I agree. It is enough to fill in the address as the gate of the school. If it is not accurate enough, we can also fill it in as the east gate or the west gate. There is always a way to deliver it to us, because the school is not very big and there is our telephone contact information.

We are all used to the school address being similar to our residential address. But if it must be specific to the dormitory, then I really cannot provide valid and provable documents.

• @TimboJones said: Proper systems will ask for physical and shipping addresses to help clarify that, but just use your dorm mailing address in the future.

I have specific details about my dormitory number, but what use is this? I don’t have a utility bill or anything else that can prove the address of my dorm.

• JioJio Member
    edited February 2021

@TimboJones said: That's also fucked up. I'm pretty sure I could receive mail while on vacation at Mexico all inclusives by specifying building and unit number.

This is extremely common at major businesses, research lab campuses, university campuses in my experience, if you are large enough to own your own postcode and run your own on site mailroom/post office.

My friend at Stanford says they require your username in the name field of a package for deliverability (like the part before your school email) - you can see how odd this would be to normal shippers. There is no USPS service at all other than to an on-campus PO box, you get your box number at move in.

• @Jio said:

@TimboJones said: That's also fucked up. I'm pretty sure I could receive mail while on vacation at Mexico all inclusives by specifying building and unit number.

This is extremely common at major businesses, research lab campuses, university campuses in my experience, if you are large enough to own your own postcode and run your own on site mailroom/post office.

My friend at Stanford says they require your username in the name field of a package for deliverability (like the part before your school email) - you can see how odd this would be to normal shippers. There is no USPS service at all other than to an on-campus PO box, you get your box number at move in.

That's all fine, so long as you get your mail/packages. Having to put additional specific details have been there since day 1 of any Postal service.

• JioJio Member
    edited February 2021

Yeah, the problem happens when that breaks the mental model of a third party like netcup, that doesn't understand that your only possible address might be a PO box or "tjones 443, Timbo Hall, University of Lowend", and that can't go on your state or national ID and there's no way you can get a utility bill or internet provider bill for it.

• @Jio said:
    Yeah, the problem happens when that breaks the mental model of a third party like netcup, that doesn't understand that your only possible address might be a PO box or "tjones 443, Timbo Hall, University of Lowend", and that can't go on your state or national ID and there's no way you can get a utility bill or internet provider bill for it.

Yes, they just don't understand. But they should understand.

• Why bother using netcup at all really?
    If you want a cheap european host just go with hetzner.
    They're reliable and their billing is monthly always on same day, no paying in advance or 6months+ ahead and so on like most of crappy small companies like netcup do.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2021

@yoursunny said: I applied for my first credit card after I graduated from college and had a job.
    The banker came to my office to verify my employment with my manager.

Well its kinda bad, im 15, and i have a debit card already.

• Actually everyone is a fool on some point or another.
    But we pretend not to be.

• @codydoby said: What should I offer them?
    @ViridWeb said: Legal address means your residential address

This, offer them a document with your residential address.
    If you can't just find some other provider, ain't that complicated.

Using netcup for several years now, they are definitely not fraud.

• @kalimov622 said:

@codydoby said: What should I offer them?

Thank you, this is the same as what they have emphasized three times. Although I thought it was very old-fashioned and perfunctory, I now accept it. Had to call them fools here.

• They arent fools- they avoided this long and arduous discussion over a $5/mo (or close to it) VPS, where a paid employee would have to keep going over the same thing over and over and over. Instead they sent perfunctory requests and moved on to more valuable corporate opportunities. PRUDENT BUSINESS

• which VPS so worth the time and trouble?

• They want your name and address so they can send you the lawyer later if you didn’t pay your bills

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @Jorbox said:
    They want your name and address so they can send you the lawyer later if you didn’t pay your bills

The collectors. And here comes questionable billing practices into the light.

One more time: avoid and go full hetzner.

• @kalimov622 said:

@codydoby said: What should I offer them?

Using netcup for several years now, they are definitely not fraud.

Strange...I don't have any "legal" address. So what now? I rent. I'm not "signed into" any place at all in my country and I can still order services, CC-s etc.

That legal address bullshit is just that, bullshit.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @LTniger said: One more time: avoid and go full hetzner.

highly likely that Hetzner will ask for documents as well. however if being lucky you are allowed to put in some credit via verified paypal, which they then might accept as validation as well. question would be if OP has a paypal account...

• @Falzo said:

@LTniger said: One more time: avoid and go full hetzner.

highly likely that Hetzner will ask for documents as well. however if being lucky you are allowed to put in some credit via verified paypal, which they then might accept as validation as well. question would be if OP has a paypal account...

I have used Hetzner dedicated server for a long time to play with private tracker. Not sure about the cheaper KVM server. Will try later.

• @ericls said:

Do you have any goverment issused ID with that address? If not, what is the address on your goverment issued ID?

When will people understand that most countries does not have any address information on their ID's?
    People move around so physically printing an address on an ID-card is stupid, most modern countries realized this a long time ago.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@rcy026 said:

@ericls said:

Do you have any goverment issused ID with that address? If not, what is the address on your goverment issued ID?

When will people understand that most countries does not have any address information on their ID's?

There was a video on youtube when US cop arrested the guy picking trash near the house just because he couldn't prove that he lives in that house. They say cop was punished after.

I can't remember which one exactly, but one provider (perhaps it was Stripe) required me to prove my address and it was near impossible - I even didn't complete this procedure, but they still somehow approved my account.

• Do you not have a bank account? What address does the bank have on record? Do you not receive statements from the bank? Those would have the address on them, no?

I'm assuming your university address is akin to a temporary address, and it's not the one you should be providing. Use whatever you use when you sign up for official things in your country.

• @rcy026 said:

@ericls said:

People move around so physically printing an address on an ID-card is stupid, most modern countries realized this a long time ago.

Such as? I'm of the opinion not having it is stupid, given its used and useful all the time. In case you didn't know, you just get a new card when you move. There's a fee but it's not made of unobtanium and trivial.

• @TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@ericls said:

Such as? I'm of the opinion not having it is stupid, given its used and useful all the time. In case you didn't know, you just get a new card when you move. There's a fee but it's not made of unobtanium and trivial.

Most European countries does not have it on their national ID's. Granted, I do not know about every country in Europe, but none of the ones I've ever seen have it.

My ID proves my identity. If you have my identity it takes a matter of seconds to find my address, there is no need to have it printed on the ID. It just creates extra cost and extra hassle with expired ID's, old information, cost of constantly updating/replacing it etc etc.

• @rcy026 said:

@TimboJones said:

@rcy026 said:

@ericls said:

Most European countries does not have it on their national ID's. Granted, I do not know about every country in Europe, but none of the ones I've ever seen have it.

My ID proves my identity. If you have my identity it takes a matter of seconds to find my address, there is no need to have it printed on the ID. It just creates extra cost and extra hassle with expired ID's, old information, cost of constantly updating/replacing it etc etc.

whoosh

Who can if it's not already on the verification you're providing? You're arguing for extra hassle, not less hassle. You move so often, how would random foreign company actually know what is correct? The official ID takes care of that.

• WhoaWhoa Member
    edited February 2021

This is what I was told when I once tried to order a VPS with them -

as told, we do need a legit document, proofed by official instances.

Some copies of invoices of random things cannot be accepted due to reasons of security. We had big problems in the past and suggest you let proof your adress of for example the german embassy in your country.

I had sent them a copy of utility bill. (In my own country, this bill would suffice as an address proof for any and all official purposes)

Netcup asked me to go to the German embassy to get a proof of address that would be good enough for them.
    At that point you know that they're just trying to avoid having to do business with you.

To all who are recommending that OP send this or that - I don't believe any of it will be good enough.

TL;DR find another provider.

Thanked by 2Shazan TimboJones