Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letbox terminated client's server by mistake and lose all data - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Letbox terminated client's server by mistake and lose all data

124»

Comments

• @Amplificator is setting out to tarnish the reputation of a competing provider, which is probably the most unprofessional behaviour exhibited in this entire thread.

• AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited January 2021

@TimboJones said:

@Amplificator said:
    What still amazes me is that someone like you would be totally okay with the provider simply deleting the customers data as long as they gave the customer his money back.

It sounds like you don't read terms or agreements, either. Most will limit liability to whatever they were paid, or no liability at all (buy a fucking hard drive for example and count how many fucks are given when you cry about lost data).

Where the expectation that you get more money back without a prior contract is nonsensical and wishful thinking. But interested to know where this happens.

And FFS, bringing in dead wives in accidents (not you) in this $15/year liability discussion? That's why car insurance is mandated in many countries (the US is fucking stupid with the self insured loophole).

OP can just file a claim with his VPS insurance provider for the value of data lost. Oh, wait...

ToS' are never read and we all use them as a bullshit excuse of getting out of everything we can - you know that and I know that. But there's a difference between writing something like that and actually being so careless that YOU delete a customers data and be completely ok with it.

I do find is amazing how people and especially providers are defending straight up negligence in this thread. It makes you wonder what they are trying to compensate for.

• @its420somewhere said:
    @Amplificator is setting out to tarnish the reputation of a competing provider, which is probably the most unprofessional behaviour exhibited in this entire thread.

I wouldn't exactly call it a competitor at this point.

• DuelHost.dk by name, duel by nature. >:)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2021

@Amplificator said: .. I say that when they delete data by mistake, that I think it is unprofessional to not have any form of disaster recovery.

Disaster Recovery would be there to cover their own infrastructure, not those of unmanaged clients. That is its' purpose. This is entirely different to taking a copy, just prior to making substantial coding changes.

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited January 2021

@skorous said:
    Can somebody clarify what "unmanaged" means? I think I'm misunderstanding it because I thought it meant you have to take your own backups, apply your own updates, etc....

It means "Who screw it, who take care of it". In this case, it's the providers' mistake and LetBox already admit it.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@Amplificator said: I wouldn't exactly call it a competitor at this point.

So you would be the guy to say they are not gay if you give another man a reach around?

• @PieHasBeenEaten said:

@Amplificator said: I wouldn't exactly call it a competitor at this point.

So you would be the guy to say they are not gay if you give another man a reach around?

As long as there is no eye contact it's not gay though