Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick PSA - Don't Chargeback! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick PSA - Don't Chargeback!

13»

Comments

• After reading these responses, maybe LET should introduce KYC.

• Actually chargebacks are great if you're a consumer.

I signed up for a service via email only (paypal) and didn't have any way to cancel it. I asked the "provider" to cancel the automatic payments which he didn't, several times actually. So just a few days ago I called my bank up, sent them the evidence and voila, money in my account 2 hours later.

So if an provider wants to be an ass, sure. It aint me who's in trouble with PP now.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@jar said: That all said, I have literally viewed it with my monitor facing an HR office to perform such a verification. I assume, and hope, that no one there needs to do this anymore and that proper tooling will have replaced it.

WTF WHAT?

Thanked by 1lentro
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

@jar said: That all said, I have literally viewed it with my monitor facing an HR office to perform such a verification. I assume, and hope, that no one there needs to do this anymore and that proper tooling will have replaced it.

WTF WHAT?

It's not only wrong to leave a social engineering loophole where you can make an anonymous accusation and someone is taken down, it's also bad for business to open that loophole and settle on the idea that it's the best option.

Just like when someone says "They stole my content" even if it's a properly filed DMCA notice, first thing I'm doing is checking if the content is even there. If it isn't, I'm pushing back before I forward it to a customer.

Someone, somewhere, has to verify these things. When you're in an office of a huge managed web hosting company it's pretty well understood that things are going to fly across your monitor that you hope no one around you wants to see.

Of course, today I'd be looking for AI tools to make those calls, were I in the same place. They do exist. They didn't always.

Thanked by 2Cpt_Ben PulsedMedia
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@jar said: Of course, today I'd be looking for AI tools to make those calls, were I in the same place. They do exist. They didn't always.

They are pretty shitty, wont really work with CP

Thanked by 1jar
  • LeeLee Veteran

@deank said: bury a body first then murder later.

We should talk, I have experience in this area and some views on the efficiency of the process you may be interested to learn about to save time in future.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • @serv_ee said: I signed up for a service via email only (paypal) and didn't have any way to cancel it. I asked the "provider" to cancel the automatic payments which he didn't, several times actually. So just a few days ago I called my bank up, sent them the evidence and voila, money in my account 2 hours later.

You can cancel automatic payments via PayPal as the end-user, unless there is something specific in your case preventing that.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 2021

@SmallWeb said:

@serv_ee said: I signed up for a service via email only (paypal) and didn't have any way to cancel it. I asked the "provider" to cancel the automatic payments which he didn't, several times actually. So just a few days ago I called my bank up, sent them the evidence and voila, money in my account 2 hours later.

You can cancel automatic payments via PayPal as the end-user, unless there is something specific in your case preventing that.

You can. If you was signed in at the moment of creating the payment. If you weren't, well tough luck.

Still doesn't excuse the "provider" of being a dipshit.

• @Lee said:

@deank said: bury a body first then murder later.

We should talk, I have experience in this area and some views on the efficiency of the process you may be interested to learn about to save time in future.

What's more efficient? Bury first, the murder is free.

• @serv_ee said:
    You can. If you was signed in at the moment of creating the payment. If you weren't, well tough luck.

Can you explain further on this? I'm not exactly sure what this means. I really want to understand this.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 2021

@sparek said:

@serv_ee said:

Can you explain further on this? I'm not exactly sure what this means. I really want to understand this.

If you sign up for an service trough paypal but don't actually log-in you can't cancel it yourself. You need to ask the provider to cancel it.

I used the same e-mail as my paypal account actually is but for some reason forgot to sign in. Later on I didn't find that invoice on my account nor the option to cancel the sub.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @serv_ee said:
    If you sign up for an service trough paypal but don't actually log-in you can't cancel it yourself. You need to ask the provider to cancel it.

I used the same e-mail as my paypal account actually is but for some reason forgot to sign in. Later on I didn't find that invoice on my account nor the option to cancel the sub.

Don't actually log in to what? Your PayPal account?

Maybe I'm completely out of touch with how things work. Can you actually pay for something with PayPal without a PayPal account? Where does the money come from?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@sparek said:

@serv_ee said:

Maybe I'm completely out of touch with how things work. Can you actually pay for something with PayPal without a PayPal account? Where does the money come from?

Hm, sorry but it doesn't make any sense to me either.

@serv_ee said: I signed up for a service via email only (paypal) and didn't have any way to cancel it.

You sign up for services using your email, not PayPal.

However, you pay for your services with PayPal.

@serv_ee said: I asked the "provider" to cancel the automatic payments

PayPal's Automatic Payments are payments you yourself authorize for a provider/merchant to charge you for your services with them, and that's only when there's an active subscription. In other words, if it's there, it means you have subscribed for it and they can charge you. If it's not, merchants/providers can't charge you since there's no subscription active.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited March 2021

Yes, I didn't reply out of confusion.

• Click invoice
    • Click pay via subscription (optional or forced by the provider)
    • Authorise subscription via PayPal

Then you can manage your subscriptions from Settings > Payments > "Manage your automatic payments" (UK UI)

If the provider didn't cancel it after multiple payments, maybe they're not so nice. It depends.

• @sparek said: Can you actually pay for something with PayPal without a PayPal account? Where does the money come from?

@thedp said: Hm, sorry but it doesn't make any sense to me either.

You pay via credit card but set up a subscription instead of a one time payment. I actually have a similar situation and I don't have a Paypal account to log in to. I'm waiting to see what happens when my card expires next month.

• @thedp said:

@sparek said:

@serv_ee said:

@serv_ee said: I signed up for a service via email only (paypal) and didn't have any way to cancel it.

PayPal's Automatic Payments are payments you yourself authorize for a provider/merchant to charge you for your services with them, and that's only when there's an active subscription. In other words, if it's there, it means you have subscribed for it and they can charge you. If it's not, merchants/providers can't charge you since there's no subscription active.

Thats what I meant. I paid trough paypal without actually signing into paypal (but still used the same email as my paypal email is).

And when logging into paypal itself it wasnt anywhere while it still took payments from me every month.

Maybe it's an region specific thing but I got all the documentation for it as well.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @serv_ee said:

@thedp said:

@sparek said:

@serv_ee said:

Thats what I meant. I paid trough paypal without actually signing into paypal (but still used the same email as my paypal email is).

Nope, you can't pay using PayPal without logging in. That wouldn't make sense. When selecting PayPal as a payment, you're forced to signin to PayPal. It probably actually remembered and you were automatically logged in.

Tl;dr you're remembering something incorrectly.

• @TimboJones said:

@serv_ee said:

@thedp said:

@sparek said:

@serv_ee said:

Nope, you can't pay using PayPal without logging in. That wouldn't make sense. When selecting PayPal as a payment, you're forced to signin to PayPal. It probably actually remembered and you were automatically logged in.

Nope. Even the Paypal receipts say "Next time sign up for safer buying".

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited March 2021

@TimboJones said: Nope, you can't pay using PayPal without logging in.

Nah, you can make payments using your card via PayPal without having an account (wherever it's eligible). I didn't know that applied to recurring payments though.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @TimboJones said: Nope, you can't pay using PayPal without logging in.

Checkout as guest my friend :). But like @SmallWeb didn't know you could do subscription like that.

• I'll put the screenshot here after I finish work and blur out some details from the invoice :)

• @SmallWeb said:
    Nah, you can make payments using your card via PayPal without having an account (wherever it's eligible). I didn't know that applied to recurring payments though.

I didn't either. If that truly is possible, then that's an error on PayPal's side. Allowing someone to make a one-time payment by providing a credit card without creating an account is one thing. Allowing someone to create a recurring subscription without an account is another thing.

The whole point of PayPal's subscription model is so that the payer has complete control of the subscription. Want to stop being charged for a service? Log into your PayPal account and cancel the subscription. Easy.

I've kind of wondered why credit card companies haven't followed suit with a similar model. It'd be great to be able to log into my credit card account online and say "I don't want to be charged from this vendor again." This would go a LONG way towards ending all of these unsubstantiated chargebacks. ... "This company kept charging me after I cancelled" (the didn't really cancel) ... the credit card could then ask them why they didn't log into their account and put a "don't be charged from this vendor again" flag.

Say I want to cancel my DirecTV, but I'm not really sure that DirecTV's CSR will actually cancel the account. I log into my credit card, flag the last charge from DirecTV as "I don't want to be charged from this vendor again" and then next month when DirecTV tries to charge me, the charge gets declined.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @SmallWeb said:

@TimboJones said: Nope, you can't pay using PayPal without logging in.

Oh, that was my thinking, too, only a one off payment and it would be no different than using stripe. So that's news that they'd do that and still has me raising an eyebrow.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @serv_ee said:

@TimboJones said:

@serv_ee said:

@thedp said:

@sparek said:

@serv_ee said:

Nope. Even the Paypal receipts say "Next time sign up for safer buying".

Jesus, like they just said, "your last transaction wasn't safe". Makes it sound like they gave you warnings of potential scam or something.

But what I really mean is, when you say you paid through PayPal, one thinks of your accounts at PayPal (credit cards and bank cards) and you need to be logged in to pay through them. What you did was no different than any credit card payment processor and people don't usually include that UNLESS paying through different means... e.g. " I paid with a credit card and gave them the full digits of my credit card".

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said: typically PayPal is now grabbing money service only as PayPal fees are doubled back in September 2019 according to our accountant.

Paypal fees are ridiculously huge -- especially for those who's main customer base is outside their region/country, they can in instances reach nearly double digit % of revenue oO; and this probably is why PP has quite strict TOS on the fees, you cannot discuss them, limits on charging the customer for it etc.

@Francisco said: Yep, fraudlabs/fraudrecord too.

Providers still actually use fraudrecord? We stopped as it seemed meaningless.

@sparek said: As a business... how do you lose a PayPal dispute?

This is surprisingly common, it seems to be a bit random. We've lost disputes for hosting services already rendered, where customer never indicated any issue what so ever with the service prior to dispute.

@sparek said: Do people not realize that they can log into their PayPal account and manage their Payments and Subscriptions and stop subscriptions for services? (Answer: No, they don't ... and they have no capacity or desire to learn either).

This! It would help if Paypal informed users that subscription is just an scheduled payment THEY are in control of.

@amarms said: I'm gonna reiterate it again, reputable providers never ask for this crap.

Yes they do. They very very frequently do.

@SmallWeb said: You can cancel automatic payments via PayPal as the end-user, unless there is something specific in your case preventing that.

Sadly most people just do not realize this at all. It's always the provider's fault when customer fails to cancel their scheduled payments.

@thedp said: In other words, if it's there, it means you have subscribed for it and they can charge you. If it's not, merchants/providers can't charge you since there's no subscription active.

Yes, except providers do not charge, the payment is "pushed" like a scheduled wire transfer would be. It comes whether or not the provider specifically asked for it.

@TimboJones said: Nope, you can't pay using PayPal without logging in. That wouldn't make sense. When selecting PayPal as a payment, you're forced to signin to PayPal.

Afaik there's a guest checkout, but also afaik it shouldn't accept subscriptions. That's news to me.