Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone need a VPN except for a few countries, I wonder? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why would anyone need a VPN except for a few countries, I wonder?

2»

Comments

• Yall saying Netflix, but I have yet to find a provider that Netflix hasn't blocked (talking about VPS providers, not VPN). But yeah, I use it as a gateway mostly.

• @tokoyuki said: -good ping in games.

Is this really the case? It's always been worse with VPN on for me.

• Public WIFI, p2p download, content unlock etc...

• @chip said:
    not with My ISP in the UK they "manage" the router remotely... yes i can login and make changes but the router updates anything they deem i shouldnt be changing (lan ip addressing, DNS etc etc) get overwrote with the update changes

My UK ISP routers (all past three of them) sit boxed up, with the key settings copied over to an excellent Zyxel VMG3925-B10B. Zyxel support even respond to bugs and provide firmware updates to fix 'em. TR-069 turned off, for example.
    I use VPN purely for legal purposes; public WiFi.

• @Ouji said:
    Yall saying Netflix, but I have yet to find a provider that Netflix hasn't blocked (talking about VPS providers, not VPN). But yeah, I use it as a gateway mostly.

That's the reason why I choose a VPN Provider for this. Getting a new vps provider for every vps provider ip that got blacklisted wasn't much fun. With a VPN service that offers this type of unblocking they continously make sure it just works :)

• Evading bans on game servers, buying games in a different currency (to a lower price), protecting myself from ddos attacks when playing p2p games, protecting myself from IP leaks in games (e.g. garrysmod), lower ping on gameservers located in the USA, going arround geoblocking.

• @0xbkt said:

@tokoyuki said: -good ping in games.

Actually it really depends the server location.
    For example, the game server at US and ur location at US, but u use SG vpn, ofc it's lagging. It transfer data from US - SG - US

I live in Asia, usually SG, HK, JP works great in ASIA. That booming game genshin impact, before use vpn got 200-250ms, with wireguard vpn I only get 80-100ms.
    I think genshin impact server located somewhere in US. Before new patch, I got good ping in genshin, but after major patch, I think they moved the server to US that's why I got red ping, but wireguard vpn fixed that ping issues :smiley:

• for me my main reason,
    Unblocking stuff.
    And accessing geo-restricted content and discount :D

For example, PrimeVideo outside the US only had little content on there, that's where a VPN comes handy

Thanked by 1wicker
  • If you are in the advertising business, VPN's are essential to see how different ad units behave on different GEO's. That's at least my main usage for them.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2020

@Anoneko said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

@Anoneko said: The reason that the router repeatedly overwrites the settings is usually that the DHCP lease expires, which causes the router to request the configuration again, and the configuration issued by his ISP includes DNS

Unlikely that it's just those settings (Local IP, DNS) are being controlled, ISPs usually have deeper control over the box (e.g. TR-069, Telnet, etc.) which means they could theoretically revert your box to its pristine state even after bridging it, effectively locking you out from modifying it.

I don't doubt that, it's their customized equipment after all

But basically, it's difficult to monitor a specific user alone, their salary is not enough to support them to send reset commands one-on-one unless you are a federal felon or something

That's easy, you don't monitor a specific one; you just reset all their CPEs blindly when you feel like it. My router gets reset every 3-6 months or so whenever the ISP pushes OTA updates to it and I lose SSH/Telnet access to the router every time.

• @user123 said:
    To convince your spouse, who is tracking your devices' IP because she doesn't trust you, that you really are out of country "for a business trip," instead of shacking up with your secret Romanian lover.

Sir, you won the quote of the day
    this will forever be remembered in my lifetime as a lifeline.

Anyway, VPN does stabilize 4g network in many cases

Thanked by 1user123
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

To appear on the network from the same IP consistently.

Not for security but more for sites where your IP has to be whitelisted (e.g., maybe you only allow one IP to access your WP admin or whatever).

Thanked by 2Ympker wicker
  • Maybe you want to restrict your server ssh access to one ip. And you use vpn for that?

• @0xbkt said:

@tokoyuki said: -good ping in games.

Asia is a very special place.