Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 58
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @user123 said: There was a whole discussion about it in this thread and he made it very clear.

I see. Didn't really follow the whole thread as more than half of it are memes. So does that mean that if I don't pay I'll get my account suspended and all my other services cancelled? That wording is a little bit too vague (perhaps by design).

• @ouvoun said:
    I'd love to pick up one of these storage boxes for primary backups, but it seems like it might be a bad idea to trust a low-end service with no reliability guarantee with my data. Seems like HH hasn't had any data loss incidents yet, but maybe that's too big of a risk?

It's cheaper to get a couple BF storage boxes (with 2 diff providers/locations) and use them as primary+secondary backup than it is to use one backup service/b2/etc. Even if one fails, you'll still have the other.

• @TimboJones said: Put this guy on FraudRecord.

I did not commit any fraud, though.

• @Ouji said:

@user123 said: There was a whole discussion about it in this thread and he made it very clear.

I see. Didn't really follow the whole thread as more than half of it are memes. So does that mean that if I don't pay I'll get my account suspended and all my other services cancelled? That wording is a little bit too vague (perhaps by design).

My understanding is that that would be within the realm of possibility...

• @Shot2 said:

@akb said:

@plumberg said:
    @hosthatch I was under impression that only CHI will be available for 2T... b4 seeing other locations, I ordered/ paid Chi 2T.. Is it by any chance possible to put a ticket to get it provisioned for AMS/ STO?

+1 . same here. Europe has much better latency for me but that wasn't an option before.

Same here but hey, flash sales are final :P

oh well... should not have been blindly F5'ing the first CHI 2T link... Already had a 3T there, so, would have loved to be able to diversify it...

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Shot2 said:

@akb said:

@plumberg said:
    @hosthatch I was under impression that only CHI will be available for 2T... b4 seeing other locations, I ordered/ paid Chi 2T.. Is it by any chance possible to put a ticket to get it provisioned for AMS/ STO?

+1 . same here. Europe has much better latency for me but that wasn't an option before.

agree. might be annoying, but that's what the flash sales are about. you hit the order button KNOWING that the next moment it can easier be gone or something else/better can pop up...

I pulled the trigger on the 2TB chicago last flash sale already. maybe I'd preferred EU as well - however it's what it is and I am happy about the cheap 2TB anyway. my backups don't care much about a bit additional latency ;-)

• @mhubud said: It's cheaper to get a couple BF storage boxes (with 2 diff providers/locations) and use them as primary+secondary backup than it is to use one backup service/b2/etc. Even if one fails, you'll still have the other.

That's definitely reasonable. But then I need to test that my replication strategy actually works. :lol:

• @TimboJones said: Put this guy on FraudRecord.

For what? Creating an "Add Funds" invoice which isn't tied to any service?

• @Ouji said:

@TimboJones said: Put this guy on FraudRecord.

I did not commit any fraud, though.

It's for problematic customers.

• @ouvoun said:

@mhubud said: It's cheaper to get a couple BF storage boxes (with 2 diff providers/locations) and use them as primary+secondary backup than it is to use one backup service/b2/etc. Even if one fails, you'll still have the other.

That's definitely reasonable. But then I need to test that my replication strategy actually works. :lol:

You miiiiiiight want to do that regardless the backup strategy you choose, bud.

• @Falzo said:
    I pulled the trigger on the 2TB chicago last flash sale already. maybe I'd preferred EU as well - however it's what it is and I am happy about the cheap 2TB anyway. my backups don't care much about a bit additional latency ;-)

I think you have the opportunity to exchange with someone here :) who knows...

• Hmm after snagging a 10tb I'm guessing I'm having bread for Christmas instead of toast :dizzy:

Thanked by 2RedSox dosai
  • @bdl said:
    Hmm after snagging a 10tb I'm guessing I'm having bread for Christmas instead of toast :dizzy:

lmao that's a new one

• @user123 said: My understanding is that that would be within the realm of possibility...

That's actually interesting. Imagine paying %240 for a 2-year service and getting your account suspended for $15 and losing $240, but this is their business and they can do whatever they want, so that's reasonable.

• @Falzo said:

@Shot2 said:

@akb said:

@plumberg said:

agree. might be annoying, but that's what the flash sales are about. you hit the order button KNOWING that the next moment it can easier be gone or something else/better can pop up...

Totally.. i am already happy with the standard 3T box I have since past 1-2 years with HH... just would love to see it spread across continents. Nothing about Latency...

my home internet (Gigabit), can do max 3-5 mbps to HH Chi... and probably trickle 1-1.5 over the ocean...

but anywhere else, its blazin fast

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Falzo said:

@Shot2 said:

@akb said:

@plumberg said:

No, but your restores do.

• Wanted to get the 10tb ... but then AMS popped up, so I got that instead.

I had also ordered an AMS NVMe earlier.

I assume, when they are delieverd, I'll be able to hook them up using private network ?

• is the flash sale on the first page or inside the thread?

• @MagicalTrain said:

@user123 said:
    Do any of you use your VPS to backup key files your (larger) NAS? If you do, what set up do you find works well?

Not 100% sure what you mean. But I use borgbackup for backing up my Servers. Works well, not much to setting it up.

+1. I use borgbackup to back up my VPSes, and backupninja to handle configuration and scheduling of the backups. It works very well.

Thanked by 2plumberg user123
  • @Ouji said:

@user123 said: My understanding is that that would be within the realm of possibility...

That's actually interesting. Imagine paying %240 for a 2-year service and getting your account suspended for $15 and losing $240, but this is their business and they can do whatever they want, so that's reasonable.

He specifically said that it was to prevent people from ordering limited deals without intending to follow through.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @JabJab said:

@mhubud said: So, no 2TB for other locations then, only the previous link for CHI?

You can try changing the location in URL, those links seems to be build on pattern.

Old news now, but this note made me pause, not order CHI and wait 30 seconds until AMS link was live. Thanks!

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2020

@TimboJones said:

@Falzo said:

@Shot2 said:

@akb said:

@plumberg said:

No, but your restores do.

everything I put into borgbackup across the ocean is third level... so if I really need restores from that, I do have bigger problems anyway ;-)

(or in other words, for more important backups/restores I am willing to pay more than 1.7$/TB)

• @user123 said:

@MagicalTrain said:

@user123 said:
    Do any of you use your VPS to backup key files your (larger) NAS? If you do, what set up do you find works well?

Not 100% sure what you mean. But I use borgbackup for backing up my Servers. Works well, not much to setting it up.

For example, if you have a NAS, you would use borgbackup to backup some of the content to a VPS? There are so many options of software that it's honestly overwhelming and I just don't want to screw it up -_-.

If your NAS can install borg (the software), then yes. Its a simple program, but I dont know what kind of NAS you use.

If you have a Synology or whatever, Id use what they have included for backups. (sorry, dont know much about them)

Thanked by 1user123
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2020

@akb said:

@TimboJones said: Put this guy on FraudRecord.

For what? Creating an "Add Funds" invoice which isn't tied to any service?

For purchasing the 10TB without intention of buying. Doesn't read the rules. Puts hassle on provider, takes flash deal from others who actually would have paid.

The guy has a pattern. That is why he should be avoided.

• SnachoSnacho Member
    edited November 2020

@kjl24 said:
    is the flash sale on the first page or inside the thread?

Previous page https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3167565/#Comment_3167565
    2TB CHI, LON and STO are still available at the time of my comment

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @user123 said: He specifically said that it was to prevent people from ordering limited deals without intending to follow through.

Yeah, that's completely resonable.

• dTQzBen8dTQzBen8 Member
    edited November 2020

@bdl said:
    Hmm after snagging a 10tb I'm guessing I'm having bread for Christmas instead of toast :dizzy:

A toast is just a roasted bread isn't it? To me it makes no difference. :wink:

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @ouvoun said:
    I'd love to pick up one of these storage boxes for primary backups, but it seems like it might be a bad idea to trust a low-end service with no reliability guarantee with my data. Seems like HH hasn't had any data loss incidents yet, but maybe that's too big of a risk?

Grab two in different locations (eg. one in London and one in Chicago). Back up to one of them, and have a daily rsync job that syncs the entire backup directory to the other one. Since these servers are very cheap, it's still a good deal.

I got a 1TB in London yesterday because I missed out on the 1TB Chicago, but couldn't resist the sales today and got a 2TB in Chicago too.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @TimboJones said: It's for problematic customers.

You and I have different definitions of what a problematic customer is, but that is normal. :smile:

• @Daniel15 said:

@MagicalTrain said:

@user123 said:

+1. I use borgbackup to back up my VPSes, and backupninja to handle configuration and scheduling of the backups. It works very well.

Yeah, I'm looking at backing up some of the more important files from a Synology NAS to a couple VPS and would want them encrypted and (preferably) versioned with support for incremental backup. Are there any guides you would recommend for borgbackup or backupninja?