Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crazy Deals on Storage , SSD and hosting with SPICY GIVEAWAY This Black Friday from ServaRICA - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crazy Deals on Storage , SSD and hosting with SPICY GIVEAWAY This Black Friday from ServaRICA

Comments

• @servarica_hani said: give you the credit

Just confirming that @servarica_hani has done the needful in my case and it looks like I'm one of the stragglers to get it done (my fault!).

Thank you for the prize giveaway.

• @nullnothere said:

@servarica_hani said: give you the credit

Just confirming that @servarica_hani has done the needful in my case and it looks like I'm one of the stragglers to get it done (my fault!).

Thank you for the prize giveaway.

Yeah, their team is pretty good, I got a lot of help from them.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • @chocolateshirt said: I got a lot of help from them

Yes they are very helpful and courteous. After the initial horrible slowdowns, I requested them to migrate me to another node which they did quite quickly. I just checked very quickly if it was better - it was and I've just left it to idle for now till things become quieter after the initial storm. I think the removal of torrents will significantly help IO for the typical use case and I hope they can keep it that way.

• Thanks @servarica_hani. I've got my lucky credits as well. o:)

• @nullnothere said:

@chocolateshirt said: I got a lot of help from them

Yes they are very helpful and courteous. After the initial horrible slowdowns, I requested them to migrate me to another node which they did quite quickly. I just checked very quickly if it was better - it was and I've just left it to idle for now till things become quieter after the initial storm. I think the removal of torrents will significantly help IO for the typical use case and I hope they can keep it that way.

Yeah, they also offering me to setup on new node, but I refused that because already setup another storage server. Their team service is good.

• @servarica_hani said:
    @Moopah @supick @niceboy @ZiriusPH @nullnothere

Don't forget to send me message with your orderid or email id in order to give you the credit :)

Thanks

PM sent. Thank you for your service!

• Message sent. Thank you for great service, greater offers and free credits!

• I received credits, thank you very much!

• Confirming that I received credits, thank you very much!

• @servarica_hani Sent PM, thanks for the amazing VPS!

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

Hi All,
    Just to confirm that the offers will reopen at
    Monday 14th December 2020, at 8:00 PM EST (Montreal Time)

check this countdown for other time zones
    https://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/2327327/servarica-black-friday-relunch

Thanks

• @servarica_hani said:
    Hi All,

Thanks

Guess this time I am the 1st to follow your post.

• @servarica_hani - I guess this will be a Christmas offer. Will this Christmas offer be more sensational, cheaper, extravagant, or more interesting than Black Friday?

• How is IO performance on the storage VPS for everyone?

I know several people reported problems, then improvements. Just wondering how people are feeling about it now.

• @default said:
    @servarica_hani - I guess this will be a Christmas offer. Will this Christmas offer be more sensational, cheaper, extravagant, or more interesting than Black Friday?

It’s the same ones....

• @aj_potc

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 27.12 MB/s    (6.7k) | 168.12 MB/s   (2.6k)
    Write      | 27.15 MB/s    (6.7k) | 169.01 MB/s   (2.6k)
    Total      | 54.28 MB/s   (13.5k) | 337.13 MB/s   (5.2k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 195.84 MB/s    (382) | 184.59 MB/s    (180)
    Write      | 206.25 MB/s    (402) | 196.88 MB/s    (192)
    Total      | 402.09 MB/s    (784) | 381.47 MB/s    (372)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 933 Mbits/sec   | 933 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 928 Mbits/sec   | 925 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 816 Mbits/sec   | 927 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 571 Mbits/sec   | 29.9 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 974 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 944 Mbits/sec   | 960 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 915 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 549 Mbits/sec   | 905 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 462                           
    Multi Core      | 903                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5249484

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @Falzo

Appreciate that. My FIO results look the same, and large file operations are quick. But copy/compare operations on small files (which are the majority of my backups) are significantly slower than on other systems. I'm talking 4-6 times slower. Not sure if I'm CPU or IO bound, though I suspect the latter.

• @aj_potc said:
    @Falzo

Appreciate that. My FIO results look the same, and large file operations are quick. But copy/compare operations on small files (which are the majority of my backups) are significantly slower than on other systems. I'm talking 4-6 times slower. Not sure if I'm CPU or IO bound, though I suspect the latter.

If you're backing up MANY small files frequently, you should be compressing or tarring them first.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @TimboJones said:

@aj_potc said:
    @Falzo

If you're backing up MANY small files frequently, you should be compressing or tarring them first.

Aye, timing is key. You always want to tar BEFORE feathering.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @TimboJones said:

I agree this would speed things up, but unfortunately that's not how my backups work. I'm creating snapshots using rsnapshot, which uses hard links to keep track of the original files. Both the creation of the hard links, as well as the subsequent file comparison with rsync, is taking forever. The hardlink creation alone is taking up to ten times longer than on another VPS.

• @aj_potc rsyncing a full archive of ~4.5 million files (~900GB) with less than 5% changes took about 80 minutes this morning. because of not so many changed files it boils down to rsync only stat files for comparison and therefor rather high IO. if you calculate 4.5million in 80 minutes equals nearly 1k files accessed per second (aka IOps) so I think that's okay (for me)

can't comment on the hardlinks topic though, because I don't have a backup setup extensivly utilising/adding these. however one hardly can argue against a direct comparison anyway.
    could this be related to the underlying use of vmware instead of kvm? dunno how the provisioning of disks is done there technically and if that might make a difference in that specific case...

• aj_potcaj_potc Member
    edited December 2020

@Falzo Very interesting statistic. I've got about 22 million files, and that's taking 6+ hours to do an rsync against them (with virtually nothing changed). So it's roughly in line with your result.

In comparison, I've got the same operation running on two other systems: a storage VPS with another popular provider, and an ARM-based storage server. Both of those are ripping through the same number of files in 90 minutes or less.

Your point about virtualization might be valid. I suppose there could be something about the Servarica architecture that limits the IOps, in which case I may never get good performance for this particular use case. Like I mentioned before, transfers of large files go swimmingly, so I have no reason to think the system is terribly overloaded.

Thanked by 1Falzo

@aj_potc
    for rsync it could be network issue not IO issue depending where you are

if you are backing up from a server far from us try to run the rsync over OpenVPN

This will make the backup run over UDP which has higher throughput if there is network delays that affect ssh traffic

• @servarica_hani said:
    for rsync it could be network issue not IO issue depending where you are

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't believe it's a network issue because the source server for the rsync is very close -- less than 10ms away. On one of my other systems, I'm also doing rsync over SSH with a similar ping time (about 9.5 ms), and it finishes in just a fraction of the time.

The creation of hardlinks is also much slower than on other systems where I'm using rsnapshot. For example, the cp -al operation takes 9 hours vs. 1-1.5 hours elsewhere.

It almost seems as if there's something about your storage subsystem that could be different (network attached storage vs. local?).

• It sounds like the polar bear deal is going up monday. Are any of the others (The Flying Fish one looked particularly nice) going up? Are there any upgrades available to select when checking out?

• @servarica_hani said:
    Hi All,

Thanks

+1 @servarica_hani

@harningt said:
    It sounds like the polar bear deal is going up monday. Are any of the others (The Flying Fish one looked particularly nice) going up? Are there any upgrades available to select when checking out?

all plans in BF should go up again Monday , but the stock of SSD based plans (flying fish and lion) is not that much so expect it to go out of stock before the polar

there will be alot of upgrade options for each plan

@default said:
    @servarica_hani - I guess this will be a Christmas offer. Will this Christmas offer be more sensational, cheaper, extravagant, or more interesting than Black Friday?

I dont think we will have any stock left for Christmas offer unfortunately . Tried my best to get some hardware before the Christmas but it did not work

• I dont think we will have any stock left for Christmas offer unfortunately . Tried my best to get some hardware before the Christmas but it did not work

NEW YEARS OFFERS!!!

Thanked by 1default
  • fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > ---------------------------------
    > Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 27.12 MB/s    (6.7k) | 168.12 MB/s   (2.6k)
    > Write      | 27.15 MB/s    (6.7k) | 169.01 MB/s   (2.6k)
    > Total      | 54.28 MB/s   (13.5k) | 337.13 MB/s   (5.2k)
    >            |                      |                     
    > Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 195.84 MB/s    (382) | 184.59 MB/s    (180)
    > Write      | 206.25 MB/s    (402) | 196.88 MB/s    (192)
    > Total      | 402.09 MB/s    (784) | 381.47 MB/s    (372)
    > 
    > iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    > Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
    >                 |                           |                 |                
    > Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 933 Mbits/sec   | 933 Mbits/sec  
    > Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 928 Mbits/sec   | 925 Mbits/sec  
    > WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 816 Mbits/sec   | 927 Mbits/sec  
    > Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 571 Mbits/sec   | 29.9 Mbits/sec 
    > Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 974 Mbits/sec  
    > Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 944 Mbits/sec   | 960 Mbits/sec  
    > Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 915 Mbits/sec   | 941 Mbits/sec  
    > Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 549 Mbits/sec   | 905 Mbits/sec  
    > 
    > Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    > Test            | Value                         
    >                 |                               
    > Single Core     | 462                           
    > Multi Core      | 903                           
    > Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5249484
    > 

Looking at the 4k section, I can't believe this is a storage plan...

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Could you provide 500GB and 1TB plan?
    Thanks.