Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup - Looking for an affordable Windows VPS - but have a hard time to choose Netcup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup - Looking for an affordable Windows VPS - but have a hard time to choose Netcup

Hi friends of the internet,

I'm looking for a nice Windows VPS to make some low demanding projects (but maybe commercial, one day).

I've ran through around 50 LET posts on many providers, and found out that NetCup had some very nice options for "root servers", for example:
RS 1000 G9 - 8GB, 2 Dedi-CPU, 160GB SSD - 8.2 Euro
RS 2000 G9 - 16GB, 4 Dedi-CPU, 320GB SSD, 13.7 Euro
** 2.5Gbps port, unmetered. **

There is a small drawback that I have to bring my own license but I can get over it./

And you could probably get around 20% less with coupons.

BUT! The main concern is that the forums and review sites are FULL of people saying that Netcup use debt collectors, lawyers, sharing personal info with them, not contacting in case of billing problems

For me, I've never been in debt, never had payment problems, read the TOS and the policies of cancellation, but seeing that it's so common and so "easy on the trigger" for a company to "blast" full power on their customers like that... (the alternative from the company side is obviously charge ahead and just cancel the VPS in case of ahead-of-time debt).

for example:
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136648/please-explicitly-tell-netcup-you-want-cancel-it-now-and-ask-for-confirmation/p4

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163587/netcup-not-accepting-delayed-payments-under-any-circumstances

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/146879/terminating-a-netcup-vps

So I'm now in a strange position were I really like their offers, but just can't hit the buy button without mixed feelings.

Therefore I have two questions:

1. Does anyone here had a Good experience while cancelling a Netcup service?
    Does anyone had a "catastrophic" experience?

2. Does someone have an alternative idea for an EU windows VPS? Hopefully with license included (but not mandatory).
    2-4 cores - hopefully "half dedicated+"
    5-16GB RAM
    80+ GB SSD/SAS/HDD
    500mbps+ unmetered
    price range - 5-13 Euro/month

Thanks <3

Comments

• You cancel your service ON TIME, as appropriate for the contract you signed. This may mean submitting a cancellation up to 30d in advance.

You are on the hook for the contract if you do not provide cancellation notice. Pay the next invoice that you are contractually obligated to and no one will care.

Thanked by 1Metz
  • Netcup? Just read your damn contract and follow it, that is all. Don't assume they will do X or Y or "because other providers do X, they must do X too!". No, read the contract and rules you agree to.

No problems here with 'cancelling' my service according to rules of contract.

• Actually, Netcup is just the typical German style. If you follow the rule, place your cancel request 31 days before your contract ends, I doubt you would have BAD experience with cancelling...

Thanked by 1Metz
  • JioJio Member
    edited November 2020

I mean come on, the threads you cite.. if only people read legal contracts they were signing.

"I didn't even know that it would automatically renew"

"I just ignore the bill"

;)

• If it's like you say, and I can just pay the next 6/12months if a mistake occurs I'm cool with that.

But I'm concerned on the general practice - what if, for example, there would be a problem with the first credit card (when I make purchases on the internet, it's very rare but sometimes not all credit cards are accepted) - would I be charge for strange fees?

What if there would be a mistake by them (as someone mentioned in a post) - would I really want to get letters from lawyers for a 10 euro server?

I guess that I'll be able to feel more comfortable if I'll see a few positive comments on the cancellation process.

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited November 2020

I've been using them for over 4 months, and everything seems okay so far. The console does have a cancel button with the date that indicates when your server will be cancelled if you do request one. Just pay as soon as possible, and when you want to cancel a server, press cancel button, use for another month, then confirm cancellation via support.

Thanked by 2Metz cece
  • JioJio Member
    edited November 2020

I've forgotten to pay netcup for 10+ days before.

They will send something like this:

We are writing to remind you that your netcup customer account has one or more overdue invoices. We appreciate that you have probably forgotten to pay the invoice or have not yet organized payment.

I paid it and it was done, no late fees or collections. If you are cancelling, you just avail the button Cancel and it applied in your next billing period. You don't need to send fax. They are reasonable people, they just get very German if you decide to ignore their repeated polite reminders that you are breaking a legal contract.

netcup are good, reasonable. Now if you want to talk about unreasonable, Contabo applies 500% late fees if you are one day late and charges $40 reactivation fees after suspending the service.

Thanked by 1Metz
  • Haha I get what you say.

For myself I've already read everything and never missed any payment on different providers (and I never count on them to remind me, just put a repeat notification on Google Calendar a few weeks ahead).

Just wanted to hear about personal experiences.

"You don't need to send fax" - that's very relieving 😂

• They are a very reputable provider who have very clearly defined (unusual for maybe rest of the low-end-world, but quite typical for the German side of things) cancellation policies. As long as you uphold your end of the contract there will be no troubles at all from them.

Read the fine print and understand the contract. It is not always about paying a single invoice - it may be an annual contract with multiple payment cycles. You are obligated to pay every invoice they raise (because they raise an invoice only when the contract is still in force/effect). Their customer panel has very clear details on the earliest possible cancellation as well as if you will get any refund. It is mostly a minimum of 31 days advance notice required for cancellation - so keep it in mind in case you lock in to a longer term contract (like a year).

I've been a customer for many years without any issues. Excellent uptime, disk IO, network speeds and mostly acceptably good and reasonably consistent CPU performance (but certainly not the fastest CPUs on the benchmark).

As long as you understand these "responsibilities" as a user of their service, I'd say go for them - they are very well priced for the resources they provide.

Again, read and understand the legalese well in advance of the expiry.

Thanked by 1Metz
  • @nullnothere said:
    They are a very reputable provider who have very clearly defined (unusual for maybe rest of the low-end-world, but quite typical for the German side of things) cancellation policies. As long as you uphold your end of the contract there will be no troubles at all from them.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I don't really care to pay 120 Euro for my mistake, I was just worried on getting sued on stuff that I can't control (it's hard to separate a "normal" company from something fishy without personal opinions) .

• Looks like Netcup is not going to offer discount on their Storage VPS. Sad

• netcup rocks !

• Like everybody already said, uphold the contract and you'll be fine. And by the way, the CPU might not be the fastest, but you can use it at 90%+ usage consistently, on their RS line. If your use case fits that, the value for money is better than even Hetzner Ryzen dedis. And the RS 2000 G9 is going to be discounted in their BF sale I believe, so keep an eye out for that.

• @RedSox said:
    Looks like Netcup is not going to offer discount on their Storage VPS. Sad

as far as I remember they have only been on sale during one of the easter egg hunts back in the day, but now are rather grandfathered. probably because their newer lineups and other specials tend to come with quite big disks already.

however, you could try to use the coupon go2netcup (ref) which gives 30€ one time discount if you're switching providers. I don't remember though, what exactly they might ask for as proof (old invoice or somethin) the actual promo this was made for was a while ago, so no idea if it's just still working by accident ...

@Metz everything has been pointed out already, from my experience very reliable provider. yes they have a strong habit to follow up on open invoices and obviously cultural differences might lead to different expectations regarding handling contractual clauses and businesses. some will call that unflexible, I'd say strictly german and straight forward :D

Thanked by 1Metz
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 2020

I have good experience with their services. Have good experience canceling them.

Being said that I also got mail from debt collector. And they have this weird contract that you need to stay with them for at least 1 year, but you are not allowed to pay annually.

It's just stupid. If I am obliged to rent the services for 1 year, just charge it for 1 year, or at least let the customer have the option to do so. I specifically asked the support for this and they said no can do. I have to pay every 3 months or something like that.

• @yokowasis said:
    It's just stupid. If I am obliged to rent the services for 1 year, just charge it for 1 year, or at least let the customer have the option to do so. I specifically asked the support for this and they said no can do. I have to pay every 3 months or something like that.

to be fair, It looks to me more in customer favor. just think of it as installments.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @mezoology said:

@yokowasis said:

to be fair, It looks to me more in customer favor. just think of it as installments.

I really wish they have an option for us to pay it in a one go. I mean they have nothing to lose. I prefer to pay annually for something that I must use for a year.

Thanked by 2netfox nowthisisfun
  • @Falzo Do you still recommend First Root? why not in signature anymore?

• @ofit I still have a service running in production with them, and it delivers decent performance. no service or support needed, no noticable downtimes, nothing to complain about.
    I can still recommend them, but they are a tad more expensive than the others and I figured having three provider referals in the signature is a bit much ;-)

if your interested of course feel free to use my shameless ref now: https://www.first-root.com/?aid=e85a4205a15a ;-) ;-) ;-)

• TapiluTapilu Member
    edited November 2020

I've just request re-fund from netcup three hours ago. It's very terrible. The staff have serious problem, they require me to paid an invoice that i never use a product before to get refund, i wrote many email and claim dispute to PayPal. They wrote emails to me to reserve dispute.
    Pls avoid them, it's very terrible, the system payment is terrible. i can't understand why they build payment system like that

• @Tapilu said:

Pls avoid them, it's very terrible, the system payment is terrible. i can't understand why they build payment system like that

maybe learn to read before ordering (you couldn't even hit the right thread around here to post your rant)
    as well as adjust yourself and your expectations to different rules and behaviour in different countries when aiming for international business.

they require me to paid an invoice ... before to get refund

yeah I mean... you seriously expect a refund on an UNpaid invoice?

• @Falzo said:

@Tapilu said:

maybe learn to read before ordering (you couldn't even hit the right thread around here to post your rant)
    as well as adjust yourself and your expectations to different rules and behaviour in different countries when aiming for international business.

they require me to paid an invoice ... before to get refund

yeah I mean... you seriously expect a refund on an UNpaid invoice?

Of course, i claim and they delete invoice that i never use product on invoice, they refund via paylpal

• @yokowasis said:
    I have good experience with their services. Have good experience canceling them.

Being said that I also got mail from debt collector. And they have this weird contract that you need to stay with them for at least 1 year, but you are not allowed to pay annually.

That's indeed very stupid 😂 (some might say a trap, but maybe it's just a strange German thing)
    But it's good to know.

It's also good to hear that Tapilu had success via Paypal dispute, hope I'll never get to those kind of stuff, but who knows.

• SpeedTestSpeedTest Member
    edited November 2020

@Metz said: Does someone have an alternative idea for an EU windows VPS? Hopefully with license included (but not mandatory).
    2-4 cores - hopefully "half dedicated+"
    5-16GB RAM
    80+ GB SSD/SAS/HDD
    500mbps+ unmetered
    price range - 5-13 Euro/month

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd

• Avoro is prem choice https://avoro.eu/en/nvme-vserver/

Thanked by 1Avoro
  • It seems to be quite common that the germans are a bit stricter on cancellations..... I had a hetzner server (maybe a storage box or something) and cancelled it and got another invoice.... I raised a ticket and they explained i was still in the line for the contract and it would be cancelled at the end of the following month... no problem

Thanked by 1Metz
  • I do have a server with netcup. Pay your invoices and dont order stuff just for fun, and ure fine. I tested 4 different virtual servers from them, refunded all. After a email to support, everything was refunded and fixed within 2 hours. I now run most of my shit from one of their vps servers, working flawless, fast and pricing is great compared to what you get.

Thanked by 1Metz
  • nfnnfn Veteran

I'm using Netcup for the last 4 years and they are premium.
    Netcup is not the problem, people are!
    You only have to follow two rules: a) pay you bills; b) read the contracts

• And of course the one person complaining about netcup being bad managed to post in the wrong thread, not make any sense, go on incomprehensible rants and spewing disputes and tickets everywhere.

In case that tells you the general split between netcup's customer base that has basic reading comprehension and those that don't.

• I had a server from netcup and didn't know that there is yearly contract I thought that when the month end and you don't pay they will cancel the service , but instead and after several months I have been contacted by a lawyer saying that I have to pay the full contract plus his fees, of course I directly opened their website and paid without contacting the lawyer back...

So for me I have a bad experience with this provider

Also some weeks ago I have ordered a vps server from contabo and the disk speed was sh*t so I have contacted them directly to cancel the contract and refund the money since all Germany providers gives you 14 days to try the service or cancel it without questions, but contabo said we will not refund any money we have setup fees, LOL what setup fees for a VPS , they even tried to not cancel the contract but I told them that I know how the law works then they cancelled it,, they didn't return anything.. took 1 months fee for 1 hour use and even a slow VPS Disk IO..

Finally not all Germany providers are the same, I have I good experience with hetzner and uses them from years.