Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlienVPS SLA - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlienVPS SLA

2»

Comments

• AbhishekAbhishek Member
    edited March 2012

@yomero said: Now open a new one each day referring the old ticket

If your server was down/unstable for a while what would anyone do? Create a ticket!

If they are not replying for 5-6 days, what would anyone do? Create more tickets!

that's my Alienlayer philosophy in marking.

• u4iau4ia Member

The last ticket I submitted with Alien ended up getting resolved in a decent amount of time, but they never updated or closed the ticket. I wouldn't have known it was resolved if I didn't check.

• I do that.
    Most providers hate it, and probably will answer you... something

• My ny12 vps says it's offline in the control panel but it's been up for 5 days now.

But yeah, I've moved on to another provider for the site I had there.

• @yomero said: I do that.

Most providers hate it, and probably will answer you... something

They hate it, but what else can you do. Can't just wait and watch for days hoping that it would be resolved?

• Too bad you guys didn't get as lucky with your migration as me. I'll agree this provider totally sucks and I wouldn't rely on my alienvps for anything, but it has been up for 20 days since I got migrated.

• krialkrial Member

I ordered one of the $15/year specials from New York and another from Las Vegas so that I could see how good they were before I purchased a better VPS package. The first week or so New York would reboot itself about 5 times a day, and was offline more often than online. Las Vegas was better though.

New York finally started to improve (a little), and it has even reached 3 days uptime once... but then Las Vegas broke around the same time. It shows that it's online in the control panel, but I'm unable to connect to it -- serial console says invalid Unix user and I'm unable to ping the IP from anywhere else either.

Submitted a ticket February 28th, got no response. Replied to my own ticket on March 2nd, no response. Maybe my ticket got lost in oblivion? Submitted a new ticket on March 4th -- it's now March 12th and still no response. Both tickets now show their status as closed but I've received no response or information, and I still can't access my VPS in Las Vegas at all.

Extremely disappointing.

• I am afraid that my 123systems boxes are more reliable now :S

• Sounds like James gave up on them and is looking for another job.

• I've got their 15$/year vps in NY (ny10) and I'm happy with it. Never needed support though.

uprecords                                             [2012/03/12 19:18:34]
         #               Uptime | System                                     Boot up
    ----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
    ->   1    40 days, 14:57:13 | Linux 2.6.32-274.el5.028  Wed Feb  1 04:21:22 2012
         2    27 days, 10:37:07 | Linux 2.6.32-274.el5.028  Wed Jan  4 16:50:13 2012
         3    11 days, 11:27:29 | Linux 2.6.32-274.el5.028  Sat Dec 24 04:35:42 2011
         4     0 days, 00:32:12 | Linux 2.6.32-274.el5.028  Wed Feb  1 03:48:28 2012
         5     0 days, 00:31:47 | Linux 2.6.32-274.el5.028  Wed Jan  4 16:18:23 2012
    ----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
    NewRec    13 days, 04:20:05 | since                     Tue Feb 28 14:58:30 2012
        up    79 days, 14:05:48 | since                     Sat Dec 24 04:35:42 2011
      down     0 days, 00:37:05 | since                     Sat Dec 24 04:35:42 2011
       %up               99.968 | since                     Sat Dec 24 04:35:42 2011

• I put in a ticket to switch to a non-vswap node. Still waiting :(.

• Well there goes my luck, my AlienVPS is dead now. This VPS isn't even worth the $1.10 per month I paid for it anymore.

I guess I got some good value for the first 6 months or so, but its crap now.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

Yawn, I put a ticket in on 03/12/2012 22:13, not even an acknowledgment from them. I updated the ticket at 03/14/2012 22:17.

Definitely wouldn't recommend them. I don't use the VPS for anything important, just a backup mumble server in case my hostigation VPS goes down, I just want to be switched to a non-vswap node since people have said it's stable.

• @Kairus said: I just want to be switched to a non-vswap node since people have said it's stable.

It was.. until today, my NY one is a piece of crap...

• AbhishekAbhishek Member
    edited March 2012

@Kairus said: I don't use the VPS for anything important, just a backup mumble server in case my hostigation VPS goes down

I am doing the same with my alien vps, have it as a backup mumble server in case my hostigation one goes down.

However my vps on ny12 has been running smoothly for most part.

It sometimes randomly shuts down so I've written a script to be executed on my hostigation vps and my university server to poll the alienlayer vps every 10 minutes. It boots the alien-vps in case it's down using SolusVM api.

With that setup my server is never down for more than 10 minutes.

On side note - is polling the solusVM server 8 times an hour too much?

• @Abhishek said: On side note - is polling the solusVM server 8 times an hour too much?

It's pretty sad that you have to, honestly -_-;

• My Alienvps has been down for over 24 hours now. Just basically writing it off at this point. I wouldn't recommend anyone signup for this crap anymore. With so many misbehaving nodes being reported, you'd have to be pretty lucky to land on one that doesn't f up on a regular basis.

• @Aldryic said: It's pretty sad that you have to, honestly -_-;

No stock @ buyVM !!

And yes, but it's a mumble server to be used with friends so I am not worried much about the 10 minute downtime which happens once a week (roughly).

However my other alien VPS has been performing terribly. Won't boot at all and shtudown often when under use. They moved it to a no-swap server for now. I still have to test if it's any better.

For now I've stopped using it and got myself a hostigation vps since I was running multiple mumble server instances for few small sized guilds and they were wondering about the random downtime.

• @Abhishek said: For now I've stopped using it and got myself a hostigation vps since I was running multiple mumble server instances for few small sized guilds and they were wondering about the random downtime.

For a small additional fee I can institute random downtime ;)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Abhishek said: No stock @ buyVM !!

hahaha they have been restocking since November, and "releasing a week or so" since January

cc @aldryic =P

• @miTgiB said: For a small additional fee I can institute random downtime ;)

haha, think of how it would look on your product offering page.

We provide random downtime service. Using one of the best random number generator we reboot your vps at the generated times!

@netomx said: hahaha they have been restocking since November, and "releasing a week or so" since January

True, once I found available stock on buyvm website for the yearly plan, but I was not looking for a VPS on that day.
    Kinda sucks to keep checking for a VPS availability, but seems like they make up for it by providing excellent service.

• @JoeMerit said: My Alienvps has been down for over 24 hours now. Just basically writing it off at this point. I wouldn't recommend anyone signup for this crap anymore. With so many misbehaving nodes being reported, you'd have to be pretty lucky to land on one that doesn't f up on a regular basis.

Same here, they won't even respond to my tickets to have my VPS moved, so whatever. Another crappy company.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Have anyone tried to call 800.385.7140 ?

• kendidkendid Veteran

Too bad about these guys -- I actually had really good service and support last year. Seems they are heading down and possibly out... I think their servers are on autopilot right now...

Candidate for deadpool soon? They had a twitter promotion/ad not long ago... So someone's still around...

• Over 48hrs ago they announced in the client area they were fscking NY1 and that it would be back up afterwards.

I think enough time has passed.

• @DotVPS said: I'm not sure why AlienVPS is having this many issues?

Are they running the newer vswap kernels?

They were running a vswap kernel on the node one of my vps was. Now it's moved to no-swap node.

Another VPS i own with them was on no-swap node and almost never had any issues with that one.

• Perhaps AlienVPS is ran by aliens, not familiar with Earth technology. LOL

• Hrm. Anyone else notice that "NY" is actually in a Secaucus NJ DC now, no longer NYC? I bet there's an interesting story behind that move... anyone know where their announcements page is?