Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlienVPS SLA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlienVPS SLA

huluwahuluwa Member
edited March 2012 in General

I got 2 yearly-paid VPSes from them. And it seems nobody answer your tikects in time, usually it needs 7 days to answer.

Thanked by 1adyg

Comments

• Yeah, I have 8 months remaining on my alienlayer VPS and I have already abandoned it. It stops responding often, just cannot boot/reboot via solusvm and no reply to tickets. Been waiting for about 16 hours now.

I'll revisit it later. Till then Hostigation ftw! :D

• I feel for you; I got tricked by their aesthetically pleasing site into buying one of their VPS's; suffered downtime the 1st night with them and then constant cycles of down times every week.

Count your losses and move on; they have no SLA.

• They take a week to answer tickets? Yeah, move on. Use them to backup your backups or something.

• Sorry for your issue

only 7 days ... I have ticket open since Feb-9, finally I just gave up and consider AlienVPS dead to me ... performance is sub par and customer service is off the charts bad

• Yawn, my AlienVPS went down AGAIN.

03:45:43 up  1:13,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I'm amazed how they manage to have the node go down every single week.

• Maybe the performance would improve if you offer to pay them in dimebags instead of currency... <_<

• @DotVPS said: I'm wondering if they're using port limiting via TC as this made my node crash every 1-3 days it took me a few weeks to find the issue out.

Possibly, it's probably due to VSwap though.

uname -r
    2.6.32-042stab044.11

• I used to have almost daily outages until I requested a move to a node that doesn't have vSwap enabled.

So go and request a migration and start enjoying your Alienvps again.

Thanked by 1Abhishek
  • AbhishekAbhishek Member
    edited March 2012

@JoeMerit said: I used to have almost daily outages until I requested a move to a node that doesn't have vSwap enabled.

So go and request a migration and start enjoying your Alienvps again.

Yeah, that's what I am planning to do.

Edit - Requested to move my VPS from NY to LA datacenter on a VPS without vSwap. Lets see how that goes!

• Hehe, this SLA stuff again.

Try to ask them, they just evade the question. That translates to, no SLA, and we don't care about our customers, and we do this for fun.

• LAKidLAKid Member

LB9 has been down all day long...

• @huluwa i like my alien veep but noticing same SLA issues others reporting ...

• LAKidLAKid Member

24hours later, still down, no ticket reply...

• @LAKid have your tried elevating your ticket ... ? I made hasty assertions about an over pay ...

I think they're just working out some issues and ticket spam-Love mine so far-Try moving to NY.

• @Kairus said: Possibly, it's probably due to VSwap though.

uname -r

2.6.32-042stab044.11

Is it? I've been testing it out with vSwap disabled and use burst instead, you still get better memory handling and caching without the stability issue others seem to have. This is a backup node, not quite confident to try it on a normal node yet.

[root@e3clt03 ~]# uptime
     14:58:45 up 43 days, 14:12,  2 users,  load average: 3.53, 4.59, 7.39
    [root@e3clt03 ~]# uname -r
    2.6.32-042stab044.11
    [root@e3clt03 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i model
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz

• @miTgiB said: Is it? I've been testing it out with vSwap disabled and use burst instead, you still get better memory handling and caching without the stability issue others seem to have. This is a backup node, not quite confident to try it on a normal node yet.

VSwap is enabled as far as I can tell on the AlienVPS node I'm on.

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited March 2012

@miTgiB said: I've been testing it out with vSwap disabled and use burst instead, you still get better memory handling and caching without the stability issue others seem to have.

I'm confused by your phrasing. Are you saying that you get better memory handling with vSwap disabled?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AsuraHosting said: I'm confused by your phrasing. Are you saying that you get better memory handling with vSwap disabled?

Depends how he's using it. If he's still using physpages for RAM allocating, he's using the new memory management anyways.

Tim's experience will be fine since he limits what peopel can run to pretty much minor FTP, SSH & rsync. I've never seen those processes lock up a .32 box, it's usually randomly other things.

Some of our nodes are fine on .32, most are just derpy.

Francisco

• nimdynimdy Member

My AlienVPS has gone down 5 times this week alone (twice in the early hours GMT last night).

Is it worth asking them to move me on to a more reliable node?

• @nimdy said: My AlienVPS has gone down 5 times this week alone (twice in the early hours GMT last night).

Is it worth asking them to move me on to a more reliable node?

Ask away, more to the point though, would they respond to your ticket? Would they action your request?

• nimdynimdy Member

@onepound Very true. I'm thinking of doing what someone else suggested, abandon it and use it only for the odd bit of testing. Annoying really as I've still got 10 months left on my year service. I'm taking my trade to Hostigation now instead, and have a OnePound VPS that is solid other than one reboot in two months for maintenance.

• Considering that their is an announcement in the client area that says something along the lines of "If you prefer stability and don't require vSwap please open a ticket to migrate to a non vswap server"... they are there and willing to move people.

• I've never needed support from them yet, so I've never opened a ticket for them and never talked to any support person... Since I've bought my $19/year VPS, it's had 100% uptime. [root@trix ~]# uptime
    11:01:58 up 41 days

• @JoeMerit said: If you prefer stability and don't require vSwap please open a ticket to migrate to a non vswap server"

Despite that, I must say that after they migrated me back to an RHEL5 box, I've been getting reboots and downtime at least 3 times the past week. It seems the past one was for kernel update... but... why? The new kernel doesn't have uberimportant patches AFAIK ¬¬

• My site is down, server status offline. Product & Services status is Active. What's going on?

• LAKidLAKid Member

LV9 was moved to LV11, below is I/O speed, so amazing.
    [root@xxxxxxx ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 103.914 seconds, 10.3 MB/s

• Well I opened a ticket to move my NY server to LA also from swap to no swap server. No update for 3 days now. I just update the ticket every day with "any update on this" :-|

• ny12 down since 28th Feb. Ticket submitted on 4th Mar, still no reply.

• ZettaZetta Member

@Abhishek said: I just update the ticket every day

!!!

• @Abhishek said: No update for 3 days now. I just update the ticket every day with "any update on this" :-|

Now open a new one each day refering the old ticket