Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best reasonable priced cloud storage that preferably works with rclone - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best reasonable priced cloud storage that preferably works with rclone

2»

Comments

• @chocolateshirt said:

@tommmy said:

@DrSlime said:
    Creat a team drive, add some gmail account, upload with those account, no more upload limit.

Wait. You mean if I got 7.5TB of data, I should add 10 accounts to that shared drive, upload to those accounts with 750GB each, then move into main drive?

If you want to upload 7.5 TB within one day. If you have only 1 gdrive account you could complete the 7.5 TB file upload within 10 days.

Yeah, this is how I currently do . But I am interested by the method that @DrSlime mentioned.

• @tommmy said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@tommmy said:

@DrSlime said:
    Creat a team drive, add some gmail account, upload with those account, no more upload limit.

Wait. You mean if I got 7.5TB of data, I should add 10 accounts to that shared drive, upload to those accounts with 750GB each, then move into main drive?

If you want to upload 7.5 TB within one day. If you have only 1 gdrive account you could complete the 7.5 TB file upload within 10 days.

Yeah, this is how I currently do . But I am interested by the method that @DrSlime mentioned.

Yep. Each account will have separate daily qouta. I have 200+ service account to back my media (150TB) every week.

• romanzromanz Member
    edited September 2021

@jahrinc said:

@definitelyliam said:
    I have an OpenDrive unlimited account and I gotta say it has extremely horrible speeds. Won't be renewing. Uploads on a gigabit connection only get 2MB/s uploads max. I hear others have the same problem.

B2's probably the cheapest price-per-TB wise.

I was able to sustain 25mb/s on Dropbox for more than a full day without any issues. And yeah, same here onedrive speeds are trash.

I tested OneDrive with several VPSes, some were as low as 1.5MB/s, some were better, but Ionos in US got repeatedly over 60MB/s

root@ionos:~# dd if=/mnt/onedrive/100mb.test of=/dev/null
    204800+0 records in
    204800+0 records out
    104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 1.67904 s, 62.5 MB/s

Update: nevermind, that was last night. Just tried it now again and getting only between 5-15MB/s.

However, IMO it is still good deal, not great as hot storage but ok as cloud storage. I tried about 4 different US based VPSes and did not see anything lower than 1.5MB/s. MS 365 Family makes it as low as $1.10/TB/m without any sale, plus office apps

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Frankly, I guess one will pay one way or another, be it in $$, be it by becoming their real product, or be it by this or that annoyance/weak point (e.g. low speed).

It seems that a super-cheap, decently fast, decent quality storage product just doesn't really exist. Backblaze seems to get closest. And keep in mind: we are talking about your data and risking them or being constantly annoyed by the disadvantages of a super-cheap service might not be exactly smart after all.

A friend/colleague of mine got a deal I consider really great from a provider: he was allowed to send 2 of his own drives to the provider who then installed them in his dedi without any surcharge. Now he has some TB "for free" (modulo the cost of the drives).

I myself simply got a decent storage VPS from a very good and quality LET provider. More expensive but also more freedom than with a storage provider, but evidently this makes little sense (in terms of cost) beyond one or two TB.

• gdarkogdarko Member
    edited September 2021

For this purpose, I set up a custom unRAID box that I can "server", it hosts my media of around 20TB and my family videos and photos. Whenever I run out of storage I will just put one more disk and it expands easily. Whenever a disk fails I will just swap it with the same sized disk, it rebuilds. I host it in my house with a UPS device. the best thing ever. Electricity is cheap in our country and I am paying around 1.5 USD for running it. Sometimes you just can't upload everything in the cloud, so make your own private cloud.