Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best reasonable priced cloud storage that preferably works with rclone
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best reasonable priced cloud storage that preferably works with rclone

tommmytommmy Member
edited November 2020 in General

Hi. I am looking for a reliable cloud storage for my few terabytes of files. I want the files to stay there as long as I pay. I would be downloading some of them sometimes, and yes, it is for my own usage. I want to have 5TB at least, but it might grow bigger overtime.

From rclone page, I found a few interesting choice at first sight.

• Opendrive - $9.95/m, unlimited storage
  • Hubic - €5/m, 10TB
  • 1Fichier - I don't quite understand their pricing, There is access offer and premium offer, then there is a CDN. I couldn't estimate how it would cost me in total.
  • Google Workspace - $18/m, 5TB

I heard that I can get unlimited storage with GSuite. But recently they rebranded to Google Workspace so I don't think that is still valid.

If possible, I want something that can work with rclone because it makes thing easier. But I am open to any choices as long as they are worth to get.

Thanks.

Comments

• Backblaze b2 $5/1tb then use cloudflare when you need to download to save on bandwidth cost.

• king8654king8654 Member
    edited November 2020

Hubric used to be limited to 10mbit years ago and seems like ovh has abandoned

Overdrive gets throttled after 10tb of bandwidth and won’t host media, also pretty slow speeds

1fichier is an option but can delete your files at a whim and unlimited is very loosely termed.

Even mega has been changed to “what you need”. My workspace enterprise plus is still unlimited but who knows the future it holds, and it is $30/m. Doesn’t say word with millions of calls or rclone queries

Personally just added 72tb to my dedicated in anticipation of workspace plus going “all you need” via requests this spring

Nothing will be gsuite as that was perfect, but unlimited is dumb from business decision and there’s a reason no one offers any more. Best bet it dedi from walker such as their 8x4/6 for very reasonable prices or hetzner ex42 with additional 10tb addon, pretty cheap at $60/m

• tommmytommmy Member
    edited November 2020

@cazrz said:
    then use cloudflare when you need to download to save on bandwidth cost.

Sorry, I don't get that. Can you explain? Cloudflare?

• @king8654 said:
    Overdrive gets throttled after 10tb of bandwidth and won’t host media, also pretty slow speeds

Bad choice then.

1fichier is an option but can delete your files at a whim

Sorry, I don't get that. Did you mean they can delete my files anytime they want?

My workspace enterprise plus is still unlimited

This is Google's right? I see many people talking about Enterprise plans, but I can only see Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, and Enterprise that need to contact sales to get the price.

• I have both Mega and Google Workspace Enterprise.
    Using a faiiir bit of data on them, and both work fine..

When i noticed that the website for mega had changed from Unlimited to Scaleable, i thought I'd send them a quick email asking what exactly it meant for me (on Mega i'm at around 150TB or so of RAW 8K files. )

And they have come back saying that it scales automatically, with no prompt,

https://www.screenimg.xyz/Hwl6wYCN3L.png

But, Mega's Upload/Download speeds are very, spasmodic to say the least. (and is supported by the daily posts on /r/MEGA that are saying the same thing.)

Realistically, Backblaze is the best solution.. Followed by Workspace.. then Mega.. in my opinions at least.

• @tommmy said: Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, and Enterprise that need to contact sales to get the price.

all you need to do to get Enterprise, is sign up for trial on Business Starter, then in admin panel switch to Enterprise. :)
    without having to contact support.

• @RouteIX said:
    all you need to do to get Enterprise, is sign up for trial on Business Starter, then in admin panel switch to Enterprise. :)

Thanks. I guess I'll go with Workspace then. If it doesn't work somehow, I'll reconsider something else. Thanks for the very detailed replies!

• @tommmy said:

@cazrz said:
    then use cloudflare when you need to download to save on bandwidth cost.

Sorry, I don't get that. Can you explain? Cloudflare?

This.

Thanked by 1commercial
  • Oh, you cant get the unlimited gsuite accounts anymore ? I have one, paying like $12 / month, stored over 60TB of "legal" media content for my plex server. Worked perfectly for 2 years, as long as you stay under 750GB / day bandwidth

Just checked, i can still create new accounts for the same pricing in my gsuite, but maybe they dont allow new gsuites for this pricing?

• For google workspace, the lowest unlimited storage tier is $20 per month. You can get a $18 one then upgrade to it in your billing option.

• edited November 2020

I have an OpenDrive unlimited account and I gotta say it has extremely horrible speeds. Won't be renewing. Uploads on a gigabit connection only get 2MB/s uploads max. I hear others have the same problem.

B2's probably the cheapest price-per-TB wise.

• @definitelyliam said:
    I have an OpenDrive unlimited account and I gotta say it has extremely horrible speeds. Won't be renewing. Uploads on a gigabit connection only get 2MB/s uploads max. I hear others have the same problem.

I was able to sustain 25mb/s on Dropbox for more than a full day without any issues. And yeah, same here onedrive speeds are trash.

• @Barnesanger said:
    Just checked, i can still create new accounts for the same pricing in my gsuite, but maybe they dont allow new gsuites for this pricing?

Seems that Enterprise plan is required and the cheapest one is $20. I heard people talking about this, but I am not sure whether they are still unlimited or not. Anyway, I pick this $20 plan and uploading. Since 750GB upload a day is the limit, it is gonna cost me a few days to confirm.

• @DrSlime said:
    For google workspace, the lowest unlimited storage tier is $20 per month. You can get a $18 one then upgrade to it in your billing option.

I picked up the cheapest and switched to Enterprise Standard. Now I have 14 days to abuse them before paying $20 :D

• @definitelyliam said:

@jahrinc said:
    I was able to sustain 25mb/s on Dropbox for more than a full day without any issues. And yeah, same here onedrive speeds are trash.

Thanks. Opendrive look too good to be true tho. I am trying Google Workspace now and if it is working fine for a few terabytes of my upload, I'll stick with them.

And I will definitely look into B2.

• Go with Google Workspace Enterprise. It's unlimited AFAIK.

• @4mm4r said:
    Go with Google Workspace Enterprise. It's unlimited AFAIK.

Yep, currently on it, hitting on 750GB daily limit.

• @tommmy said:

@4mm4r said:

Creat a team drive, add some gmail account, upload with those account, no more upload limit.

• Backblaze b2 $5/1tb works so good with rclone.

• @DrSlime said:

@tommmy said:

@4mm4r said:

Creat a team drive, add some gmail account, upload with those account, no more upload limit.

Can I move the file to my main drive ? Or it just stay there ?

• @tommmy said:

@DrSlime said:

@tommmy said:

@4mm4r said:

Can I move the file to my main drive ? Or it just stay there ?

Yep. Move is fine. Copy uses qouta.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2020

iDrive is running a 90% off promo for a 5TB plan, so it now costs only $6.95/y for the entire first year (after registration you can upgrade to 10TB by adding $9.95).
    Originally that package is only 2TB - so 5TB with 90% off is a great deal in every sense. Promo is limited time (been going on for some days now) so better act fast if you want it.

Should work out of the box with Rclone using the WebDAV backend.
    https://www.idrive.com/

• @cazrz said:
    Backblaze b2 $5/1tb then use cloudflare when you need to download to save on bandwidth cost.

I use backblaze and borgbase... borgbase is really for backups but doesn't charge for downloaded data whereas backblaze does charge for downloaded data.... even if it is pennies per gb

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2020

@farsighter said: entire first year

what is renewal? will they kkill all my datas?

edit:

You are enrolling for an automatic renewal service and authorizing a recurring charge to your credit card. The pricing discount is valid for the first year of subscription. For subsequent years, the standard billing plan will be applicable.

it will autobill you for annual full non promo price, going over is $0.25/GB/month

• @farsighter said:
    iDrive is running a 90% off promo for a 5TB plan, so it now costs only $6.95/y for the entire first year (after registration you can upgrade to 10TB by adding $9.95).
    Originally that package is only 2TB - so 5TB with 90% off is a great deal in every sense. Promo is limited time (been going on for some days now) so better act fast if you want it.

Should work out of the box with Rclone using the WebDAV backend.
    https://www.idrive.com/

2.99 first year if you know where to look

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2020

@hzr said: what is renewal? will they kkill all my datas?

edit:

You are enrolling for an automatic renewal service and authorizing a recurring charge to your credit card. The pricing discount is valid for the first year of subscription. For subsequent years, the standard billing plan will be applicable.

it will autobill you for annual full non promo price, going over is $0.25/GB/month

You really expected this to be recurring? But you're saving dozens of $$ for first year.
    Of course you can cancel anytime, anyway their full price is competitive so no loss if you stay.
    (BTW all cancellations within first 15 days entitle a full refund).
    Anyway you're getting 5TB instead of 2TB, a recurring upgrade which might not be available later.

@vyas11 said:

2.99 first year if you know where to look

Won't you tell us? xd

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2020

@farsighter said: You really expected this to be recurring? But you're saving dozens of $$ for first year.

Hey, people demand $1 vps, I can demand stupid bullshit too!

https://www.idrive.com/idrive/signup/el/techradar3tb 5TB $3.48 first year

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @DrSlime said:

Wait. You mean if I got 7.5TB of data, I should add 10 accounts to that shared drive, upload to those accounts with 750GB each, then move into main drive?

• @tommmy said:

@DrSlime said:

Wait. You mean if I got 7.5TB of data, I should add 10 accounts to that shared drive, upload to those accounts with 750GB each, then move into main drive?

If you want to upload 7.5 TB within one day. If you have only 1 gdrive account you could complete the 7.5 TB file upload within 10 days.

• king8654king8654 Member
    edited November 2020

No reason to use MyDrive anymore. Even with service accounts you will need rotation when uploading with sleep check, just upload directly to tds and mount them within your mergerfs.

That being said, unlimited gdrive is dead sooner than later. My annual enterprise plus is gonna be nice little paper weight

Also, there is literally no other option that is nearly as good. Mega is shit and has also changed to the all you need wording, and others will cap/throttle you with any decent api usage. Personally added 72tb hdss to my dedicated for when daddy Google kicks us off, prob just keep like 5-10% of niche media and delete the other ridiculous amount off and start fresh