Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tempted by ChicagoVPS offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tempted by ChicagoVPS offer

mjjohnsonmjjohnson Member
edited March 2012 in General

I'm new to the VPS market and I'm tempted by the offer ChicagoVPS just posted. It looks like a great deal; there's more RAM, storage, and transfer than I plan on needing. ChicagoVPS also seems to have a pretty good reputation, from what I can find. That said, I realize that for $7/month there have to be some compromises, so I figured I'd ask: what limitations should I know about? :) (E.g., how's the disk I/O, CPU availability, and so on.)

Here's what I might be hosting there: I have a project I've been kicking around for a while that would involve Django, Apache or nginx, memcached, MySQL, and full-text search, probably solr. Solr worries me a little since I've heard that Java doesn't always play nice with OpenVZ. But, I figure with this much RAM I shouldn't have any real issues. I'd also want to do some occasional PDF generation using LaTeX. I figure all of this should easily fit in the offer ChicagoVPS listed; however, do I really need all that RAM, or would I be just as well served going for a smaller VM from another well-regarded provider like Hostigation or BuyVM?

Comments

• @mjjohnson said: there's more RAM, storage, and transfer than I plan on needing

Then go with a company that offers less ressources for the same price. It will probably less oversold and your performance will be better.

• My advice would be keeping backups and be prepared to turn the other cheek.

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited March 2012

I would go with a openvz provider with vSwap or a Xen PV. Java would like that better. As you said you don't need That high of resources anyway so I'm sure it will still be a LEB price.

• I would suggest giving ChicagoVPS a try, no doubt about it.

I was a customer of theirs, 2 months ago. My experience was great; network speed was good, server was fast, CPU was good, RAM there when I needed, but the disk IO was a bit slow.

However, I would really be wary when using JAVA on OpenVZ; they really don't go well together... You'd probably able to -Xmx512 or 768 at max.

• innyainnya Member

As @AsuraHosting said try it out.
    I have Chicagovps openvz since 09/2011.
    Their I/O was ok until after a maintenance. Since then, it has been good.

• Some good points. Just signing up and seeing might be the way to go. Does anyone know what OpenVZ kernel these nodes are running? I did some looking and found that the newer .32 kernel apparently handles Java much better than the .18 kernel (memory is counted by actual usage, not virtual, if I understood right).

I could go with a smaller plan from someone else, but the problem is that I don't know how much RAM I'll actually need yet, and it would be annoying to get set up on (say) a 512 MB box and find out I need more... (I've done most of my tinkering on my local box, so I haven't worried about RAM usage.)

• innyainnya Member

They are currently offering Xen 512 for under 7.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

@mjjohnson said: Some good points. Just signing up and seeing might be the way to go. Does anyone know what OpenVZ kernel these nodes are running? I did some looking and found that the newer .32 kernel apparently handles Java much better than the .18 kernel (memory is counted by actual usage, not virtual, if I understood right).

I could go with a smaller plan from someone else, but the problem is that I don't know how much RAM I'll actually need yet, and it would be annoying to get set up on (say) a 512 MB box and find out I need more... (I've done most of my tinkering on my local box, so I haven't worried about RAM usage.)

Pretty sure they're .18, very few companies run the .32 kernel (mostly those that use AMD processors from my experience), AlienVPS and BuyVM come to mind.

Any provider will be happy to upgrade you from a 512mb to a 1gb if you find out you need more memory, it's easily adjustable in a VPS environment.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I have been using it with Java and it has worked great. No downtimes, no problems. I dont know why some ppl just hate them.

• @mjjohnson said: Does anyone know what OpenVZ kernel these nodes are running? I did some looking and found that the newer .32 kernel apparently handles Java much better than the .18 kernel

• FLVPSFLVPS Member

I've got 4 servers with them, including 2 of the $7 2048 plans with the $5 cPanel addon (Use the "cpanel" coupon). No complaints here but I'm not one to run benchmarks all day just so I can post that my 75MB/s went down to 72MB/s, somehow indicative of some kind of problem.

• u4iau4ia Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Then go with a company that offers less ressources for the same price. It will probably less oversold and your performance will be better.

+1

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@gsrdgrdghd said: Then go with a company that offers less ressources for the same price. It will probably less oversold and your performance will be better.

The nodes are not really oversold at all, we just upgraded them all and are running blazingly fast.

• flyfly Member

cpu is pretty fast, no doubt, and storage and bandwidth is plentiful. just be careful, the disk i/o is kinda herp derp. it can go from 50mB/s to around 100mB/s. Just load critical/popular stuff into ramdisk.

• dwilddwild Member

I had a minecraft server on one of their server during 2 months. The disk IO was bad so I took 512 MB of ram to do a ramdisk. So during 2 months I used 1,5 GB without problem. I was using git every 30 minutes to backup the map on my Amazon EC2. Amazing performance, amazing uptime.

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited March 2012

@dwild Yeah the disk IO really showed when I ran a Minecraft server. The players freeze (lag spike) on occasion for several seconds before everything updates. Really bad stuff when you have low health. Never thought of making a ram disk though.

• @Zetta said: @dwild Yeah the disk IO really showed when I ran a Minecraft server. The players freeze (lag spike) on occasion for several seconds before everything updates. Really bad stuff when you have low health. Never thought of making a ram disk though.

When I had a ChicagoVPS for minecraft, I had minecraft running from a ramdisk, it ran nicely.

• VPSfanVPSfan Member
    edited March 2012

I have a 2GB ChicagoVPS too.

As most guys mentioned, Disk I/O can be up and down.

But overall, a good value for my $7 and 2GB RAM. I didn't know they had Xen, may give that a try too.

• i joined in the party and bought the $7 vps as well. Damn you guys.

• I'd bought a 2GB VPS during their offer too. The server is decent, most benchmarks are better than some of the other VPS providers I tested out.
    I'd warn you about their support, though - my VPS was offline for 4-5 days and support was really slow on it. (here's an LET thread I started about this issue )

Our support is fine :) Your situation was just unfortunate to be honest, but I cant change the past.

• No, but you could've listened to people's reactions to your attitude, and prevented quite a few of the harsh things folks say about you.

By the way... concerning the threat you attempted to make via PM about a month ago. I'm still waiting.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Aldryic said: By the way... concerning the threat you attempted to make via PM about a month ago.

I'm curious :P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why using an old thread? @sumeshpremraj let it go

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited March 2012

@Infinity said: I'm curious :P

Oh, a lengthy PM originating from a prior thread in which he felt like being a tough guy :P I'll five line it to spare you all of the drama:

@CVPS_Chris said: I hold grudges, and I am not a person you guys want to have a grudge with.

@Aldryic said: As an endnote, I'm just going to leave you with this. Do NOT presume to make threats.

@CVPS_Chris said: The threat was made, and will stand until I am publicly apologized to by yourself and Fran and I will do the same. If not, that's ok, Ill just be on my way to what I want and have to do.

@Aldryic said: image

@CVPS_Chris said: Alright, well then its final. Good luck to you sir. You will need it....

That's about the jist of it. There's a good deal more unnecessary cock-waving.. but you've seen how he is in public, no real need to c/p all of that junk :P

• @Aldryic said: unnecessary cock-waving..

Oh, you watch Spartacus too?

• Not really, just seemed to be an appropriate phrase how he describes his "accomplishments".

Love the parts you left out, well played.

• Would you rather me paste the PM in it's entirety? I shortened it as the rest of our conversation was irrelevant to the childish threat, and wasn't very flattering for you anyways.

After lunch I'll do a couple of screenshots and post those for you.

• @CVPS_Chris : Here you go mec, a full screencap so that nothing is left out. Anything else I can do for you?

This discussion has been closed.