Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Yandex Email safe? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Yandex Email safe?

2»

Comments

• @Shot2 said:
    Plus, whenever someone asks for "your gmail address", you can joyfully call them "stupid westernized Trump-loving moron zucca blyat", on behalf of Edward S.

Funny, I think the other person will think you're a nutter. There's 1.8 billion gmail users and at best, 180 million Looney Trump morons. Gmail existed well over a decade before Trump elected. Your math and logic can make anyone call you "joyfully stupid".

P.s. I don't think you actually read or understand any of the Snowden leaks, or else you'd understand how much of Google's "encryption everywhere" push is because they were victims of being hacked by NSA themselves and quite pissed off about it when they found out.

Russia has had mandatory requirements for companies to help FSB decrypt data since 2016 whereas in the US we know the state of things because of how Apple pushed back and how silly US government keeps thinking up ways of harming security with trying to force backdoors and shit.

It's a race to the bottom, but it's clear who's currently closer.

https://jsis.washington.edu/news/russian-data-localization-enriching-security-economy/

Generally, non-Russian companies have been hesitant to move their data to Russian servers because of the interaction between data localization laws and other Russian security laws. For example, in mid-2016, the Russian government passed controversial amendments to anti-terrorist laws known as “Yarovaya’s Law.”[10] According to the law, “the organizers of information distribution on the Internet” are not only required to store the metadata for one year, but also to help the FSB (Russian security service) to de-crypt any user data it requests.[11] Given that, not only will companies that fail to comply be faced with substantial penalties, they also, albeit passively, will be assisting Russian government’s “iron fist” policies for crushing dissent. Dissent is often categorized as “terrorism” in Russia.[12] Ultimately, Russia wants to secure access to its citizens’ private data to control dissent. When data are held transferred onto to Russian servers, it grants the FSB access to users’ audio, text, and video communication online without a court order.[13]

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • Well to be fair...Russia had to bring that into law, NSA doesnt. They dont need to.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@serv_ee said:
    Well to be fair...Russia had to bring that into law, NSA doesnt. They dont need to.

Yes, that.

I had a closer look at those russian laws a while ago, based on real information (as opposed to western and usually bent "information") and found them not nice but well within what e.g. european nations have as internet related laws and/or common practice.

But I can understand to some degree that westerners find the russian laws "brutal", mainly for two reasons: (a) they do not see the laws but rather what western media and regimes make them think those laws are, and (b) there seems to be a tendency in Russia wrt laws that may be interpreted as either stone cold straight and honest or as brutal. Unlike most western countries who often act covertly and/or make laws look decent while in fact their actual interpretation is quite different, it seems that the Russians say what they mean and mean what they say.

Example: I remember a case in Germany where their secret service did eavesdrop on their citizens but "explained" it away by saying that one side (of the communication) was not in Germany or (in another case) by saying that satellites are not within german territory and hence can be eavesdropped on.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

None of these free services are safe, the no safe list is: Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Yandex, Mail.ru, AOL (wow, people still do use), Virgin Media (personal I had terrible experience, where phone operator simply delete all mail accounts on my account while trying to fix the issue with mail accounts!)

You need to leave in dream world to believe that all above mentioned providers are safe to use.

Thanked by 2jsg TheKiller
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited September 2020

@jsg said:

@serv_ee said:
    Well to be fair...Russia had to bring that into law, NSA doesnt. They dont need to.

Yes, that.

I had a closer look at those russian laws a while ago, based on real information (as opposed to western and usually bent "information") and found them not nice but well within what e.g. european nations have as internet related laws and/or common practice.

But I can understand to some degree that westerners find the russian laws "brutal", mainly for two reasons: (a) they do not see the laws but rather what western media and regimes make them think those laws are, and (b) there seems to be a tendency in Russia wrt laws that may be interpreted as either stone cold straight and honest or as brutal. Unlike most western countries who often act covertly and/or make laws look decent while in fact their actual interpretation is quite different, it seems that the Russians say what they mean and mean what they say.

Example: I remember a case in Germany where their secret service did eavesdrop on their citizens but "explained" it away by saying that one side (of the communication) was not in Germany or (in another case) by saying that satellites are not within german territory and hence can be eavesdropped on.

Ugh I cant do this all "western" stuff again.

In the end it comes down to "pick a lesser evil" which ever that might be for you. Be it yandex, google, MS etc.

Also the notion that if you rent a dedicated and that way you'll be safe...how naive.

There is no anonymity anymore. No matter what VPN* you use, no matter what .onion you use. Get used to it.

*With very few exceptions to that.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@WebProject said:
    None of these free services are safe ...

... and we can't know which ones are safe (if some are safe). All we get to know is only after the fact that is, when it's too late.

• Made my @hotmail email id in 1999 when I was in school. Still using the same ID with their new UX (office.com site). so far so good. MS never deleted my emails or anything that sort of. Plus they have quite less ads in inbox. Whereas Gmail addresses are open to spam. Tons of spam mails. Tried Yandex a year ago. They seem to be good for personal email usage. I would rather pay dollar or two per month to reputed provider for hosting my mails and giving me 24/7 support.

• @jsg said:

@serv_ee said:

What? The US passed their shitty abusive security bills after 9/11. A lot of the Snowden stuff was about rubber stamping the warrants. Russia, no warrants.

Hmm, no specifics. Sounds like bullshit.

Wtf? You think needing warrants with specific information being searched for is an unreasonable demand from Westerners? I'm glad as fuck not to be brainwashed into such totalitarian thinking.

And no, Russians are not known to "say what they mean and mean what they say" (though I'm curious if others agree). The Russian KGB and mafia has that reputation sullied with veiled threats. That being said, I had a Russian guy as a lab partner in college and he had no filter and said exactly what he was thinking (unfortunately).

Where's the law that ends with "...or else you get novichok'd"?

Link or it didn't happen. Also, it's not against the law for anyone to eavesdrop on their own citizens, they just need a warrant and justification. And the purpose of warrants is for successful prosecution (in a non-corrupt system). And that's a big difference when your country doesn't care to prosecute and decides to use illegal nerve agent to kill you and your family.

• This is why I lock my mug in a safe after every use.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Is email safe ?

• can't be worse than tencent or alibaba mail.

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited October 2020

At the end of the day, it's a matter of choosing who you want to give your data to, they all spy on you in a way or the other. Americans keep saying that Chinese or Russian providers are not safe and blah blah blah, but when you think about it, the Chinese government doesn't have any jurisdiction on an American citizen. I feel like it's actually safer to give your data to a foreign country that your own...

Edit: That being said, in a corporate world, it's probably safer to use a local provider as they have to comply to local laws. Pretty sure if Google snoops in your data and steal a patent or something, your local government might be able to protect you. If you store professional secrets in a foreign country, I think it would be much more difficult to handle in case of a leak.

Thanked by 1balaji
  • After latest developments with Russian war, should European citizen stop using yandex?

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2022

@prometheus said:
    After latest developments with Russian war, should European citizen stop using yandex?

Please don't necropost -- read the rules

It's an individual decision whether to stop using Yandex or not

Otherwise we don't have reliable information about how safe or unsafe Yandex is, either now or before the war

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.