Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Yandex Email safe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Yandex Email safe?

I have been using Gmail, and recently noticed that Yandex seems to be a great email solution from Russia.

I would like to know if it is safe to use?

Comments

• Long story short, it's as safe as google. You just need to pick your poison who you give your data to.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@serv_ee said:
    Long story short, it's as safe as google. You just need to pick your poison who you give your data to.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Google would be a wiser choice though

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited September 2020

Truth to be told, I dont trust either of them. I got my Google account set up with all false details for my android phone and I got my GMX email for everything "non sensitive". Even tho GMX is a pain...every time someone actually asks my email they go "Gm what?"

Also Yandex was pulling shady shit around here when they first launched their taxi service so yeah, no thanks.

• its user experience is good (full features, no ADs, big size). the data storage is in their machines, if you trust google, you would also trust yandex. if you do care the data privacy, you could buy a dedi and host email by yourself.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited September 2020

unlike Tencent and Alibaba, Google and Yandex dont worry about average individuals too much. so, yes, if you use Gmail, you can use Yandex.

• Safe from?

• @smartcard said:
    I have been using Gmail, and recently noticed that Yandex seems to be a great email solution from Russia.

No. Not user friendly, not safe, hacked several times and never ever nobody even said about this extremely big security leaks. Tg full of bots, that can show a pass for many different accounts registered in different time. Nobody cares.

Full of shit ad, replaced ad position and confused titles that force you read their ad.

Russian captcha, a lot of my colleagues that using their mail and services very frequently asking me for solving Russian captcha. Which is not optimized for non Russians.

They force you use your mobile phone, even if on registration they did not ask to do that, than they will force you do it, otherwise your account will be fully blocked, and you will lose access, and won't be able even contact their support, which is useless too, because all that they do is redirection to automated, logically incorrect questions and do on.

Wanna some advice? Stay far far away from yandex, mail.ru.
    Try to find something different.

• I've used Yandex it's as safe as google. It just changes who has your data.

Thanked by 2mikei JasonM
  • Does Yandex inform people when nation states are trying to hack their account? Or reveal who the government requested data for?

The data privacy laws in Russia are way worse than the US or EU.

I'm not exactly sure what "safe" refers to and why anyone (government or commercial email service) gives a flying fuck about your emails.

If you're a bad enough person doing bad enough shit, you're not "safe" anywhere doing anything.

• if you are "pro russia" you are safe,

• If you are lucky your account will be activated otherwise you will never be able to recieve or send emails

• Depends on who you piss off.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

No, Yandex is not safe.................................................. from MXRoute.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited September 2020

Simple

If you live in the US/EU, it's better to use Yandex
    If you live in the ex-USSR, it's not safe to use Yandex

If you live in the US/EU, it's not safe to use Google
    If you live in the ex-USSR, it's better to use Google

• @desperand said:

@smartcard said:

No. Not user friendly, not safe, hacked several times and never ever nobody even said about this extremely big security leaks. Tg full of bots, that can show a pass for many different accounts registered in different time. Nobody cares.

Do you have any supporting links for this?

Full of shit ad, replaced ad position and confused titles that force you read their ad.

I have a multi-purpose email address at Yandex.Mail that I've been using for a few years, and in this time, I don't think that I've seen many ads at all (currently, virtually none).

Russian captcha, a lot of my colleagues that using their mail and services very frequently asking me for solving Russian captcha. Which is not optimized for non Russians.

I'm in the EU using the English language version of Yandex.Mail and I've never had to deal with a Russian captcha.

They force you use your mobile phone, even if on registration they did not ask to do that, than they will force you do it, otherwise your account will be fully blocked, and you will lose access, and won't be able even contact their support, which is useless too, because all that they do is redirection to automated, logically incorrect questions and do on.

It's true that Yandex.Mail asked for a mobile phone number on signup for verification purposes (but I've never had a problem accessing my account).

Wanna some advice? Stay far far away from yandex, mail.ru.
    Try to find something different.

Well, mail.ru may be a different story altogether (I don't know).

In my experience, Yandex.Mail works well.

To avoid confusion, I'm talking specifically about Yandex.Mail (which is the topic of this thread). Yandex also offers a number of other services (e.g., a way to make electronic payments) that I've never used, so I can't comment on them (but I've used their DNS service, which works fine).

As for the bigger question of "safety", well, as someone above said, one should run one's own mail server if this is a real concern.

Thanked by 3jsg JasonM mikei
  • YandexMail is in fact very good service. I'm using it since 2016 and it has every feature you can find in Gmail. Their mobile apps are also better than Gmail.

As said above you shouldn't be worried about your data, as you will be giving it to anyone you would be using. Unless you're going to use it for sensitive government/military there is no harm.

• I have no issue paying for a quality Russian product like Intellij IDEs.
    Hosted SaaS... NOPE. It's not the company, but just the environment they exist in, that I'm not comfortable with.

• Dude, they are good 😃. No problems so far(using it a year after moved from Zoho)

• For me the answer Yes.
    But for better security and less spam as gmail alternative is protonmail.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited September 2020

Have been using them for 12 years now, still better than Google/GMail. UI is fine, it just works, and provides free domain services unlike the whole GAppsLegacySuiteBusiness fustercluckery.

Plus, whenever someone asks for "your gmail address", you can joyfully call them "stupid westernized Trump-loving moron zucca blyat", on behalf of Edward S.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited September 2020

For personal e-mail (2GB for 1€ a month) I can recommend https://posteo.de/en (no they don't force the .de extension on you)

But then I use gsuite as cloud storage which comes with free gmail on my domain and got an unlimited domains mxroute subscription for 10€ a year, so if you got a decent domain anyway you can just wait for the next mxroute black friday special.

@serv_ee said:
    [...] and I got my GMX email for everything "non sensitive". Even tho GMX is a pain...every time someone actually asks my email they go "Gm what?"

check out the fun e-mail adresses. You can use up to 20 per gmx account and they got some interesting domains there.

alphafrau.de
    feinripptraeger.de
    fettabernett.de
    ist-einmalig.de
    kaffeeschluerfer.com
    liebt-den-mann-ihrer-chefin.de
    liebt-die-frau-seines-chefs.de
    maennerversteherin.com
    partybombe.de
    partyheld.de
    polizisten-duzer.de
    raubtierbaendiger.de
    saeuferleber.de
    tortenboxer.de
    turboprinz.de
    turboprinzessin.de
    vorsicht-bissig.de

bist-eine-haelfte-von-mir.de
    bleib-bei-mir.de
    es-ist-liebe.de
    fahr-zur-hoelle.org
    ich-bin-verrueckt-nach-dir.de
    ist-allein.info
    ist-es-liebe.de
    ist-ganz-allein.de
    ist-willig.de
    lass-es-geschehen.de
    liebt-dich.info
    loveyouforever.de
    moechte-mit-dir-aufwachen.de
    schmusemail.de
    schreib-doch-mal-wieder.de
    teilt-mit-dir-alle-geheimnisse.de
    verlass-mich-nicht.de
    vorsicht-scharf.de
    weinenvorglueck.de

alpenjodel.de
    das-spiel-hat-90-minuten.de
    der-ball-ist-rund.net
    die-genossen.de
    die-optimisten.net
    email-ausdrucker.de
    fantasymail.de
    freudenkinder.de
    gentlemansclub.de
    gmx-ist-cool.de
    herr-der-mails.de
    ich-habe-fertig.com
    meine-wahrheit-deine-wahrheit.de
    muskelshirt.de
    quantentunnel.de
    sags-per-mail.de
    sonnenkinder.org
    turnbeutel-vergesser.com
    vollbio.de
    volloeko.de
    vorabend-einchecker.de
    weibsvolk.org
    wenns-um-email-geht.de
    wir-sind-cool.org
    wolke7.net

bin-wieder-da.de
    coole-files.de
    die-besten-bilder.de
    digi-dia-freakshow.de
    digital-filestore.de
    digitalfoto-model-award.de
    download-privat.de
    gmx-topmail.de
    meine-dateien.info
    meine-diashow.de
    meine-fotos.info
    meine-urlaubsfotos.de
    neue-dateien.de
    office-dateien.de
    peinliche-fotos.de
    public-files.de
    shared-files.de
    topmail-files.de
    war-im-urlaub.de

abwesend.de
    baldmama.de
    baldpapa.de
    betriebsdirektor.de
    buerotiger.de
    hab-verschlafen.de
    habmalnefrage.de
    ich-will-net.de
    kommespaeter.de
    mailueberfall.de
    netterchef.de
    nurfuerspam.de
    streber24.de
    terminverpennt.de
    unterderbruecke.de
    will-hier-weg.de
    wir-haben-nachwuchs.de
    women-at-work.org

• @angstrom said: Do you have any supporting links for this?

I'm not idiot to share links to tg bots where you type email and receiving a password.
    I checked all my accounts registered in different time = all there, all passwords correct for all of mine accounts registed with yandex since 2010 up to 2018 for sure.
    I checked other random accounts of my friend (we agreed about that) his pass (actual) still there too. They're hacked, but not leak any info about it to any mass media at all, i never heard anything like that. You can find yourself if you wish too in tg for a bot. But no links from me.

• @desperand said:

@angstrom said: Do you have any supporting links for this?

I'm not idiot to share links to tg bots where you type email and receiving a password.
    I checked all my accounts registered in different time = all there, all passwords correct for all of mine accounts registed with yandex since 2010 up to 2018 for sure.
    I checked other random accounts of my friend (we agreed about that) his pass (actual) still there too. They're hacked, but not leak any info about it to any mass media at all, i never heard anything like that. You can find yourself if you wish too in tg for a bot. But no links from me.

I hope that my password isn't there! :#

• Reportedly yandex got hacked by wester countries but I haven't seen anything actual that would prove that other than some news pieces.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I've had some yandex email (and disk) accounts for quite a few years and never had a problem. That said one shouldn't trust any large corporation, no matter where, with particularly sensitive stuff but rather use e.g. protonmail for that or run one's own email server if one really knows how to set up and run a secure system.

Side note: while my experience with large chinese corporations is quite limited it has been very bad. It seems to me that Tencent, Huawei, Alibaba and the like easily match or even outrun american or european corporations in terms of negative issue like ignorance, obtrusiveness, etc.

@vimalware said:
    I have no issue paying for a quality Russian product like Intellij IDEs.
    Hosted SaaS... NOPE. It's not the company, but just the environment they exist in, that I'm not comfortable with.

Jetbrains is and always has been a czech company.

• From last 4-5 years, I have put many of my clients (all over the globe) on Yandex when they seek free email hosting. However, lately with 1 or 2 recent ones, I noticed their newly designed AntiSpam engine getting crazy and even blocking emails from within the same domain. May be a temp. phase of curating the new Spam engine, but take it with a pinch of salt if it does wither for you.

• Jetbrains is a legal Czech entity.
    I still think of it as a Russian company with a fantastic product.

• Putin says it's safe.

• @avamax said:
    Putin says it's safe.

Hear hear!

• @avamax said:
    Putin says it's safe.

KGB say the same!

This discussion has been closed.