Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Robot / Dedicated Servers (Auction) are Hourly Billing? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Robot / Dedicated Servers (Auction) are Hourly Billing?

2»

Comments

• @socratesjr said:

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:
    Be wary. The problem with checking connection speeds with cloud servers is that dedis have guaranteed 1gbps bandwidth but the cloud servers don't. So it would still be unrepresentative of the speeds you'll get in cloud servers, if you are really interested in dedis.
    Makes no sense to me unless you're only checking pings, it's completely useless. Since, the pings are mostly based on locations than datacenters, it really is quite useless to compare.

The Cloud servers have shared 10Gbps. Both options should be more than enough for the overwhelming majority.

Shared is the keyword here bro. Anyways, in my experience, I have never seen a cloud server in hetzner give me more than 500 mbps at peak times.

It probably is, I usually get rates well over 1Gbps at any time a day on Hetzner cloud servers.

@techboy Your theory is that one DC in Falkenstein is better than the others, however your theory is based on just one observation? Why don’t just contact their support then? Give them the speeds of DC1 and DC10 and just let them solve it.

If there really isn’t a user related problem, chances are it’s a faulty switch or something. If a whole DC has degraded network they would surely know about this.

Mind: Falkenstein is actually 1 DC divided over some odd ten buildings.

Can you provide me with a bench here for proof of more than 1gbps speed? I am pretty sure you are lying here or they changed something a couple months ago.

Someone accusing me of plainly lying is usually my cue for just ignoring them. However you’re so busy waiving that Netcup affiliate code in everyone’s face that your double agenda is definitely showing. So here you go.

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | busy           
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 7.96 Gbits/sec  | 5.71 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 11.9 Gbits/sec  | 6.86 Gbits/sec 
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 1.94 Gbits/sec  | 473 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 644 Mbits/sec   | 14.9 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.76 Gbits/sec  | 2.01 Gbits/sec 
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 1.79 Gbits/sec  | 1.68 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.19 Gbits/sec  | 1.22 Gbits/sec 
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 88.5 Mbits/sec  | 247 Mbits/sec  

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 7.21 Gbits/sec  | 7.11 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 12.4 Gbits/sec  | 6.61 Gbits/sec 
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 1.99 Gbits/sec  | 552 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 2.11 Gbits/sec  | 2.20 Gbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 1.19 Gbits/sec  | 1.24 Gbits/sec

• @debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:
    Be wary. The problem with checking connection speeds with cloud servers is that dedis have guaranteed 1gbps bandwidth but the cloud servers don't. So it would still be unrepresentative of the speeds you'll get in cloud servers, if you are really interested in dedis.
    Makes no sense to me unless you're only checking pings, it's completely useless. Since, the pings are mostly based on locations than datacenters, it really is quite useless to compare.

The Cloud servers have shared 10Gbps. Both options should be more than enough for the overwhelming majority.

Shared is the keyword here bro. Anyways, in my experience, I have never seen a cloud server in hetzner give me more than 500 mbps at peak times.

It probably is, I usually get rates well over 1Gbps at any time a day on Hetzner cloud servers.

@techboy Your theory is that one DC in Falkenstein is better than the others, however your theory is based on just one observation? Why don’t just contact their support then? Give them the speeds of DC1 and DC10 and just let them solve it.

If there really isn’t a user related problem, chances are it’s a faulty switch or something. If a whole DC has degraded network they would surely know about this.

Can you provide me with a bench here for proof of more than 1gbps speed? I am pretty sure you are lying here or they changed something a couple months ago.

Someone accusing me of plainly lying is usually my cue for just ignoring them. However you’re so busy waiving that Netcup affiliate code in everyone’s face that your double agenda is definitely showing. So here you go.

Well. There's that I guess. Some speeds are above the 10gbps port hard limit. Again, either it's a lie or they changed something a couple of months back.

About the affiliate code, well, I did say it's 5 euro off. We aren't living in 2003. If I am giving a code that looks like that it's obviously an affiliate code. If you can understand that, then others can to. Seriously, man

• @techboy said: If you are saying there is no difference? Do you have any proof or reasoning with legit case to counter my point/analysis? Please come with it.

why should I prove something? where is your analysis at all?

all I see is you mention, that you experience worse connection in DC10 compared to your friend in DC1. no mention about the number of different servers you have running and such, not a single number or bench of whatever provided.

again. of course single servers, racks or whatever might see different speeds depending on hardware, neighbours, congestion whatever. yet this still won't prove any difference between the DCs.

by the way... their DCs are merely a naming thing for different buildings/areas in the very same datapark. which are connected by darkfiber and whatnot. so unless there is a defect in that there can't simply be a noticable difference apart from congestion and stuff...

as luck has it, I do have a box in DC10 (as well as DC11), so here you go:

DC10:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-09-21                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sat 26 Sep 2020 02:48:54 PM CEST

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v5 @ 3.60GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 3809.741 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62Gi
    Swap       : 31Gi
    Disk       : 4.0T

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 758 Mbits/sec   | 910 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 756 Mbits/sec   | 936 Mbits/sec  
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 757 Mbits/sec   | 899 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 626 Mbits/sec   | 149 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 721 Mbits/sec   | 391 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 695 Mbits/sec   | 442 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 684 Mbits/sec   | 433 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 69.8 Mbits/sec  | 193 Mbits/sec  

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 753 Mbits/sec   | 925 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 748 Mbits/sec   | 923 Mbits/sec  
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 746 Mbits/sec   | 637 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 718 Mbits/sec   | 552 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 678 Mbits/sec   | 256 Mbits/sec  

DC11:

Sat Sep 26 15:10:59 CEST 2020

Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 3865.361 MHz
    RAM        : 31G
    Swap       : 31G
    Disk       : 2.3T

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 823 Mbits/sec   | 934 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 823 Mbits/sec   | 937 Mbits/sec  
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 820 Mbits/sec   | 907 Mbits/sec  
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 682 Mbits/sec   | 27.4 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 780 Mbits/sec   | 243 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 759 Mbits/sec   | 333 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 744 Mbits/sec   | 358 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 38.1 Mbits/sec  | 199 Mbits/sec  

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 813 Mbits/sec   | 924 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 812 Mbits/sec   | 924 Mbits/sec  
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 796 Mbits/sec   | 768 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 774 Mbits/sec   | 627 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 735 Mbits/sec   | 380 Mbits/sec  

not sure, where you want to claim remarkable differences here, keep in mind, these is not identical hardware and I don't know nothing about the neighbours and there usage on the switches.

to get much more than that in whatever other DC you'd need a nic and switchport >1Gbit ... maybe that's what your friend pays for and makes a difference?

and please, don't post 5 Mbit speed from speedtest as reply, thanks.

Thanked by 1debaser
  • debaserdebaser Member
    edited September 2020

@socratesjr said:

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:

Well. There's that I guess. Some speeds are above the 10gbps port hard limit. Again, either it's a lie or they changed something a couple of months back.

Well, I knew you were going to accuse me of lying again, so I made a screenshot of it too. Suck it up.

Entries above 10Gbps are probably a rounding or conversion error.

About the affiliate code, well, I did say it's 5 euro off. We aren't living in 2003. If I am giving a code that looks like that it's obviously an affiliate code. If you can understand that, then others can to. Seriously, man

There’s one thing in offering someone a one-time 5 EUR off for Netcup, but you’re spamming it in literally every topic. Seems quite desperate.

• @debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:

Well, I knew you were going to accuse me of lying again, so I made a screenshot of it too. Suck it up.

Entries above 10Gbps are probably a rounding or conversion error.

There’s one thing in offering someone a one-time 5 EUR off for Netcup, but you’re spamming it in literally every topic. Seems quite desperate.

I am not gonna argue about the bandwidth. I did set up an ubuntu machine and yeah the bench you gave are real. Though didn't feel like it when I installed windows on it. Still I am not one for comparing cloud servers and dedis for connection speeds. Their own FAQ says 300-500 mbps.

Apart from that, I only did three posts today with the coupon code. Every one of the topic warranted a recommendation. I would not want people to get ripped off when they can do better. Is it wrong to give a coupon code to every person you recommend the service. Desperate huh - I am not even commenting on this.

• socratesjrsocratesjr Member
    edited September 2020

You know what. Let's just ease off on the personal attacks.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@socratesjr said:
    I have moved myself totally to netcup. The root servers there have dedicated cpu which has better passmark than same priced hetzner dedis and 2.5 gbps port speed. RAID 10. And disk iops is off the charts.

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

Use this voucher for 5 euro off on the cart: 36nc16011055520

Oh yeah. You can't decide DCs in hetzner. Only the location. The DCs are provided randomly I think. Also you are not guaranteed to get the DC you choose in the auction, only the location will be the same.

Do you get 2.5 gbps speed or nearly of it ?

• @socratesjr said:

You did call him out as lying first though, good for you now that you feel the heat. :#

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@socratesjr said:
    I have moved myself totally to netcup. The root servers there have dedicated cpu which has better passmark than same priced hetzner dedis and 2.5 gbps port speed. RAID 10. And disk iops is off the charts.

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

Use this voucher for 5 euro off on the cart: 36nc16011055520

Oh yeah. You can't decide DCs in hetzner. Only the location. The DCs are provided randomly I think. Also you are not guaranteed to get the DC you choose in the auction, only the location will be the same.

Do you get 2.5 gbps speed or nearly of it ?

I get around 2gbps on speedtest.

@Ahfaiahkid said:

@socratesjr said:

You did call him out as lying first though, good for you now that you feel the heat. :#

I did add an OR in the sentence, or are you blind ?

• "I am pretty sure you are lying here" before the "or" does make it seem you are attacking his reputation, so its not unfair for him to attack you of posting your netcup affiliate links on every thread asking for server recommendations. :)

• @Ahfaiahkid said:
    "I am pretty sure you are lying here" before the "or" does make it seem you are attacking his reputation, so its not unfair for him to attack you of posting your netcup affiliate links on every thread asking for server recommendations. :)

Take it as you will. I do not have time to give english lessons. You can use google translator if english is not your first language.

I still don't get the point here about the affiliate code. Please point me out if I gave any unjust recommendation, and if there are any threads where the recommendation I gave isn't the best one in the whole thread. You should get your shit together.

• Fuck you.

• Fuck you too :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@techboy said:
    Hello, I have been noticing few differences between the various DC of Hetzner in the same Location.

Hetzner has around 14 DC in their FSN Region. But, there are speed differences between DC1 and DC10.

Now to confirm this, I need to buy a server in DC1 and DC10. But, I don't want it to use for 30 Days.

Please if anyone could confirm if I could cancel the server in few hours or 1-2 days and pay for the time I used it for?

https://www.hetzner.com/sb?location=FSN1-DC1&auction=true

Please tag if someone is very experienced with Hetzner or official rep of Hetzner.

Thanks.

Edit: @Hetzner_OL If you could help me with this.

Hello @techboy we do have a 14 day free-trial policy. This means that you have the right to cancel your contract within fourteen days without giving reasons. The revocation period is fourteen days from the date of conclusion of the contract. To cancel the server order, you need to click on "Cancel order" on Robot. In Germany, there is a legal difference between cancelling an order and cancelling a product.

Our trial period is not meant to be a way for people to get a free server for 14 days. When we allow you to order a product, we trust in you, the customer. We trust that you actually want the product and have the means to pay for it. Please do not abuse this policy.

Cloud Servers have both a monthly price cap and a price per hour. Your server's bill will never exceed its monthly price cap. If you delete your Cloud Server before the end of the billing month, you will only be billed the hourly rate. We will bill you for each cloud server until you choose to delete them. Even if you aren't actively using your server, we will bill you for it.

• techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

@Falzo Do you find something wrong in these stats?

It's Hetzner Dedicated Server with HDD. (2X3TB)

Tue 29 Sep 2020 04:10:00 PM CEST

Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 1775.835 MHz
    RAM        : 31Gi
    Swap       : 9Gi
    Disk       : 5.4T

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 811.00 KB/s    (202) | 11.25 MB/s     (175)
    Write      | 850.00 KB/s    (212) | 11.78 MB/s     (184)
    Total      | 1.66 MB/s      (414) | 23.03 MB/s     (359)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 46.99 MB/s      (91) | 41.24 MB/s      (40)
    Write      | 49.68 MB/s      (97) | 44.36 MB/s      (43)
    Total      | 96.67 MB/s     (188) | 85.61 MB/s      (83)

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 930 Mbits/sec   | 924 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 933 Mbits/sec   | 927 Mbits/sec
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 929 Mbits/sec   | 869 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 753 Mbits/sec   | 213 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 883 Mbits/sec   | 381 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 858 Mbits/sec   | 382 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 838 Mbits/sec   | 335 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 795 Mbits/sec   | 189 Mbits/sec

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 923 Mbits/sec   | 923 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 921 Mbits/sec   | 922 Mbits/sec
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 918 Mbits/sec   | 780 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 873 Mbits/sec   | 609 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 823 Mbits/sec   | 441 Mbits/sec

• @techboy said:

this looks pretty normal I'd say.

if at all, then the disk speeds for the bigger blocksize seem a bit low, but I would make an educated guess here and assume your raid is still syncing.
    cat /proc/mdstat will tell you about it ;-)

you could also check the disks via smartctl for data about power-on hours etc. - these i7 2600/3770 boxes with 2x3TB are quite old, so the disks usually are too.
    however, I do have disks with up to 60k hours on em, and they are still going strong, so as long as there are no reallocated/pending sectors you should be fine...

• Only Alibaba, Tencent, Azure, Scaleway, and more other are offering real BMaaS hourly billed.

• techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

@Falzo said:

@techboy said:

this looks pretty normal I'd say.

if at all, then the disk speeds for the bigger blocksize seem a bit low, but I would make an educated guess here and assume your raid is still syncing.
    cat /proc/mdstat will tell you about it ;-)

you could also check the disks via smartctl for data about power-on hours etc. - these i7 2600/3770 boxes with 2x3TB are quite old, so the disks usually are too.
    however, I do have disks with up to 60k hours on em, and they are still going strong, so as long as there are no reallocated/pending sectors you should be fine...

I bought a new server with Intel NIC @ DC6. But, I have few updates in this matter.

1. It is either that DC6 / DC1 routes from AMS or it's like whatever Dedicated Server has Intel NIC, they route from AMS. When it's routing from AMS, I'm seeing better speeds (not like 12MB/s but I'm seeing better than DC10) to my Home ISP. Plus, Usenet speeds are better too. DC10 routes from DE (and not from AMS). (Reason, I cannot say if it's because of DC or Intel NIC is because, I don't want to exploit their cancellation policy).
    2. This new server has better Disk Speeds compared to the previous server (Posted Above). I'm thinking of asking the Hetzner to do some replacement in this matter if they can entertain this request.
    3. Overall, I am seeing better performance with DC6 compared to DC10 but the only trade is, I have to give up 32GB and I'm getting 16GB of RAM instead which should be fine I think.

Explanation in Detail for #1:

There are two differences in both the servers (DC10 vs DC6) which is making DC6 > DC10.

1. Intel NIC (DC6 has Intel NIC and DC10 doesn't have it).
    2. Old is DC10 and New is DC6.

DC6 is routing from AMS meanwhile, DC10 routes from DE. I have done like 100 times MTR to my home ISP. Results are same and consistent always.

I am seeing good improvement with DC6 over 10.

Wed 30 Sep 2020 02:10:25 PM CEST

Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 3403.180 MHz
    RAM        : 15Gi
    Swap       : 8.0Gi
    Disk       : 5.5T

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 1.48 MB/s      (370) | 20.82 MB/s     (325)
    Write      | 1.50 MB/s      (376) | 21.33 MB/s     (333)
    Total      | 2.98 MB/s      (746) | 42.15 MB/s     (658)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 82.97 MB/s     (162) | 78.22 MB/s      (76)
    Write      | 87.38 MB/s     (170) | 83.43 MB/s      (81)
    Total      | 170.36 MB/s    (332) | 161.66 MB/s    (157)

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 932 Mbits/sec   | 924 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 933 Mbits/sec   | 934 Mbits/sec
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 930 Mbits/sec   | 806 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 762 Mbits/sec   | 99.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 882 Mbits/sec   | 217 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 857 Mbits/sec   | 522 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 837 Mbits/sec   | 332 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy

Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 922 Mbits/sec   | busy
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 921 Mbits/sec   | 923 Mbits/sec
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 917 Mbits/sec   | 646 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 875 Mbits/sec   | 419 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 825 Mbits/sec   | 371 Mbits/sec

• if you see different routings, that indeed is interesting.

however, please share the MTRs so, we can judge ourselves. I assume the last hops around hetzner will always be the same, at least that is what I am seeing.

so your theory might be partially correct but I still doubt it depends on the DC but rather the IP/subnet/ASN and the peering that happens on the way to that.

it might be worth to ask about their peerings, however could also be something on the way, that's not even within their control...

Thanked by 1techboy
  • techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

@Falzo said:
    if you see different routings, that indeed is interesting.

however, please share the MTRs so, we can judge ourselves. I assume the last hops around hetzner will always be the same, at least that is what I am seeing.

so your theory might be partially correct but I still doubt it depends on the DC but rather the IP/subnet/ASN and the peering that happens on the way to that.

it might be worth to ask about their peerings, however could also be something on the way, that's not even within their control...

Okay. I have just read your reply. I'm waiting for the Hetzner to hand-over the server back since I did made them complaint about the poor internet speeds and hard-disk speed as you can see. So they have taken the access for 24 Hours from me. DC10 Server is half the speeds of DC6 (even though both are almost same price and same specs).

Also, Once, I'm handed over the server, I'll share the traceroute with you because I'm myself little bit shocked seeing that.

My Home to Hetzner is always same route for both the Servers.

But, Hetzner to Home is different route for both the server.

I'll share the MTR once I'm having the server back. Stay Tuned! :)

• techboytechboy Member
    edited October 2020

@Falzo said:
    if you see different routings, that indeed is interesting.

Hello @Falzo, Here are the MTR from Server (DC6 and DC10) to my home ISP.

You can notice that, DC6 (with Intel NIC) takes different route than DC10 (without Intel NIC).

If you think that Intel NIC shouldn't make this change, it means Hetzner actually uses more congested route for the DC10 compared to DC6 and DC1. Because overall hardware quality and network congestion is much better in DC1 and 6 compared to 10.

DC10:

DC10 Server (IP)                                                                                                                                                                2020-10-01T15:02:31+0200
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                                                                                                                                          Packets               Pings
     Host                                                                                                                                                               Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. static.IP.clients.your-server.de                                                                                                                        0.0%    43    0.2   0.3   0.2   1.7   0.2
     2. core24.fsn1.hetzner.com                                                                                                                                          7.0%    43    0.3   1.4   0.2  32.7   5.1
     3. core0.fra.hetzner.com                                                                                                                                            0.0%    43   25.1  14.1   5.0  40.2   7.9
     4. 213-239-245-13.clients.your-server.de                                                                                                                            0.0%    43   34.3  31.0  13.7  74.1  12.5
     5. 80.249.212.246                                                                                                                                                   0.0%    43   27.3  27.2  27.1  27.5   0.1
     6. 103.198.140.28                                                                                                                                                   0.0%    43  124.7 124.9 124.5 127.9   0.6
     7. 103.198.140.76                                                                                                                                                   0.0%    43  132.9 133.0 132.9 133.4   0.1
     8. 103.198.140.28                                                                                                                                                   0.0%    43  124.6 124.5 124.3 124.8   0.1
     9. 103.198.140.177                                                                                                                                                  0.0%    43  135.5 135.4 135.0 135.7   0.2
    10. ???

DC6:

DC6 Server (IP)                                                                                                                                                             2020-10-01T15:03:37+0200
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                                                                                                                                          Packets               Pings
     Host                                                                                                                                                               Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. static.IP.clients.your-server.de                                                                                                                        0.0%   125    0.4   0.4   0.3   3.7   0.4
     2. core23.fsn1.hetzner.com                                                                                                                                         84.8%   125    0.4   0.7   0.3   2.4   0.5
     3. core5.fra.hetzner.com                                                                                                                                            0.0%   125    5.0   6.0   4.9  32.0   3.1
     4. core2.ams.hetzner.com                                                                                                                                            0.0%   125   11.3  12.5  11.2  38.2   4.1
     5. 80.249.212.246                                                                                                                                                   0.8%   125   26.5  26.6  26.4  26.9   0.1
     6. 103.198.140.28                                                                                                                                                   0.8%   125  143.0 143.0 142.7 145.9   0.4
     7. 103.198.140.76                                                                                                                                                   0.8%   125  121.8 121.8 121.6 122.2   0.1
     8. 103.198.140.28                                                                                                                                                   0.8%   125  142.7 142.6 142.5 144.0   0.2
     9. 103.198.140.177                                                                                                                                                  1.6%   125  135.2 135.0 134.6 135.3   0.2
    10. ???

The last hop is different. In the case of DC10, It's Hetzner's Client Server in DE. But in the case of DC6, It's their core AMS.

• Looking at the routes and don’t see any difference. They’re both going to Amsterdam over Frankfurt, albeit over different routers. In your first example, the PTR of the Amsterdam router is just faulty or not updated yet.

So no problems there.

I see however that there are heavy fluctuations in your traceroute from DC10. This doesn’t mean that they use a “congested route for DC10”. Remember: DC6 and DC10 are actually the same complex. What it could mean is that the NIC in your server if faulty, the switch is defective or just that there’s a very noisy neighbor in your rack.

In all ways, the right decision would be to contact support. Not complaining on a public forum, we can’t solve this for you.

• techboytechboy Member
    edited October 2020

@debaser said:
    Looking at the routes and don’t see any difference. They’re both going to Amsterdam over Frankfurt, albeit over different routers. In your first example, the PTR of the Amsterdam router is just faulty or not updated yet.

So no problems there.

I see however that there are heavy fluctuations in your traceroute from DC10. This doesn’t mean that they use a “congested route for DC10”. Remember: DC6 and DC10 are actually the same complex. What it could mean is that the NIC in your server if faulty, the switch is defective or just that there’s a very noisy neighbor in your rack.

In all ways, the right decision would be to contact support. Not complaining on a public forum, we can’t solve this for you.

It seems like you have a wrong impression of this whole thread. I am not complaining here, I am taking advices of what should be done. Thanks.

I will see to what others has to say!

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited October 2020

@techboy said:

@debaser said:
    Looking at the routes and don’t see any difference. They’re both going to Amsterdam over Frankfurt, albeit over different routers. In your first example, the PTR of the Amsterdam router is just faulty or not updated yet.

So no problems there.

It seems like you have a wrong impression of this whole thread. I am not complaining here, I am taking advices of what should be done. Thanks.

I will see to what others has to say!

The only advice that will help you, is to contact Hetzner support and let them solve it.

Second best advice would be to cancel your server in DC10 and keep the other one.

However, the fact that this thread has been going on for a week and you haven’t contacted support yet, does not make me think that you’re really after advice. You want your point of view confirmed. And that’s why you keep on rambling, with wrong assumptions.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited October 2020

interesting...

here is what I am seeing, when pinging one of the later hops from your mtr (as I don't know the final target)

DC 10

1. static.IP.clients.your-server.de              0.0%   115    0.4   1.3   0.3  17.0   2.2
     2. core23.fsn1.hetzner.com                      30.4%   115    7.5   4.0   0.4  36.3   6.4
     3. juniper4.nbg1.hetzner.com                   0.0%   115    4.0   3.2   2.6  17.0   1.5
     4. ae3-710.nbg40.core-backbone.com     0.0%   115    2.9   2.9   2.6   3.2   0.1
     5. ae3-2090.sin10.core-backbone.com    0.0%   115  168.2 168.4 168.1 184.5   1.9
     6. ???
     7. 103.198.140.16                                    0.0%   115  179.9 180.0 179.8 182.1   0.3
     8. 103.198.140.48                                    0.0%   115  170.2 170.2 170.1 170.7   0.1
     9. 103.198.140.28                                    0.0%   115  169.3 169.2 169.0 169.6   0.1

DC 7

1. static.IP.clients.your-server.de   0.0%   126    0.3   0.9   0.2  17.8   2.0
     2. core24.fsn1.hetzner.com                      24.0%   125    0.3   5.4   0.3  60.0  10.4
     3. juniper4.nbg1.hetzner.com                   0.0%   125    2.7   2.8   2.6   6.1   0.5
     4. ae3-710.nbg40.core-backbone.com     0.0%   125    2.7   2.8   2.6   3.1   0.1
     5. ae3-2090.sin10.core-backbone.com    0.0%   125  168.9 168.3 168.0 184.5   1.8
     6. ???
     7. 103.198.140.82                                    0.0%   125  169.6 169.6 169.4 170.0   0.1
     8. 103.198.140.48                                    0.0%   125  169.9 170.6 169.8 206.3   4.0
     9. 103.198.140.28                                    0.0%   125  178.7 178.7 178.6 179.0   0.1

as you can see no AMS at all and a worse latency for that route. however keep in mind I put in a different IP as destination, so that already might make a diference for the route that got picked. could also be because of the time.

there are much more factors that come into play, so I doubt Hetzner can do anything about it after all. as @debaser said, I heavily doubt it has anything to do with the DC in the end. don't get me wrong - I have no doubt that there you might see differences. however trying to judge anything just based on what you see for your private connection might not even be really relevant unless your main use case is connecting to that server from your very own home connection...

only then again @debaser gave the final hint: keep the server you are more happy with 🤷‍♂️

what you also could try to get somewhat reliable number for speed is run an iperf server on the dedi and have your home connection connect and measure with that. ideally both ways and single vs multiple connections.

• @Falzo said: however keep in mind I put in a different IP as destination, so that already might make a diference for the route that got picked.

What’s probably the case here is that you’re routing an ip in a different subnet, chances are that will take another route if there’s two routes with equal AS-length. Might be another network altogether, but that wouldn’t be obvious.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Seems like a case of bad routing to me. I transfer to and from my servers all the time. My trick is to use cloudflare in between.

Everything is faster with cloudflare. Works only for web downloads though. You'll have to pay for the Cloudflare access which contains remote desktops and other tunneling protocols.