Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Robot / Dedicated Servers (Auction) are Hourly Billing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Robot / Dedicated Servers (Auction) are Hourly Billing?

techboytechboy Member
edited September 2020 in Help

Hello, I have been noticing few differences between the various DC of Hetzner in the same Location.

Hetzner has around 14 DC in their FSN Region. But, there are speed differences between DC1 and DC10.

Now to confirm this, I need to buy a server in DC1 and DC10. But, I don't want it to use for 30 Days.

Please if anyone could confirm if I could cancel the server in few hours or 1-2 days and pay for the time I used it for?

https://www.hetzner.com/sb?location=FSN1-DC1&auction=true

Please tag if someone is very experienced with Hetzner or official rep of Hetzner.

Thanks.

Edit: @Hetzner_OL If you could help me with this.

Comments

• Nopes. The dedis are all monthly billed. Only cloud servers are hourly billed.
    https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

The dedis have cancellation policy though where you can cancel within 14 days for free. I would advise not to abuse it though.

• techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

@socratesjr said:
    Nopes. The dedis are all monthly billed. Only cloud servers are hourly billed.
    https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

The dedis have cancellation policy though where you can cancel within 14 days for free. I would advise not to abuse it though.

Okay. I just need to check DC1 of FNS1 Region. Because, if my theory and analysis is true, I should be asking Hetzner why DC10 is not having speeds compared to DC1 when everything else is idle (no activity is happening).

Because a friend of mine has better networking stability in terms of speed compared to mine.

He's on DC1 and I'm on DC10. The difference in speed is huge.

• socratesjrsocratesjr Member
    edited September 2020

I have moved myself totally to netcup. The root servers there have dedicated cpu which has better passmark than same priced hetzner dedis and 2.5 gbps port speed. RAID 10. And disk iops is off the charts.

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

Use this voucher for 5 euro off on the cart: 36nc16011055520

Oh yeah. You can't decide DCs in hetzner. Only the location. The DCs are provided randomly I think. Also you are not guaranteed to get the DC you choose in the auction, only the location will be the same.

Thanked by 2techboy sd_gg
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Hetzner_OL can clarify this I guess

Thanked by 1techboy
  • @socratesjr said:
    I have moved myself totally to netcup. The root servers there have dedicated cpu which has better passmark than same priced hetzner dedis and 2.5 gbps port speed. RAID 10. And disk iops is off the charts.

That's Good. I actually need HDD Server (for the Seeding and other stuff). Is there any offering from netcup with HDD but good pricing and better networking? The link you gave me has SSD only.

• Nope, monthly billing only, with a grace period of a few days, I believe. But, you can select a DC when you create a Cloud server via the API.

On that note, @Hetzner_OL , your site seems to be having issues: your main site fails to load, and then reloads immediately and works, while docs.hetzner.cloud just does not work (it loads and shows the content for a few seconds, then just shows the text "An unexpected error has occurred"). Perhaps you could look into it?

Thanked by 1techboy
  • @AC_Fan said: with a grace period of a few days

Thanks. What is the meaning of this one? If you could explain me in detail.

• @techboy said:

@AC_Fan said: with a grace period of a few days

Thanks. What is the meaning of this one? If you could explain me in detail.

What @socratesjr said:

The dedis have cancellation policy though >where you can cancel within 14 days for free.

Thanked by 1techboy
  • techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

Okay. So basically, my use-case is not abuse but to differentiate between the speeds of different region. I'm going to post my learning here and to the support as well.

Today is Saturday which means I'll have to wait for 3-4 days minimum for the support to reply back to "Why DC1 has better speeds compared to DC10 when both are 1Gbps and HDD"?

Of course, DC1 and DC10 are of same region that is FSN1.

I hope my use-case makes sense here?

• @techboy said:
    Okay. So basically, my use-case is not abuse but to differentiate between the speeds of different region. I'm going to post my learning here and to the support as well.

Today is Saturday which means I'll have to wait for 3-4 days minimum for the support to reply back to "Why DC1 has better speeds compared to DC10 when both are 1Gbps and HDD"?

I hope my use-case makes sense here?

You'll probably have to wait, or you could spin up a Cloud server and test.

Thanked by 1techboy
  • @AC_Fan said: You'll probably have to wait, or you could spin up a Cloud server and test.

Sorry to ask this but, How can I specifically take the DC1 in FSN1 in Cloud Server? I'm kinda new in Hetzner's Cloud/Dedi stuff.

I know they have Cloud but it just let me select the region (FSN) doesn't let me select DC (DC1).

Thanks.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited September 2020

@techboy said:

@AC_Fan said: You'll probably have to wait, or you could spin up a Cloud server and test.

Sorry to ask this but, How can I specifically take the DC1 in FSN1 in Cloud Server? I'm kinda new in Hetzner's Cloud/Dedi stuff.

I know they have Cloud but it just let me select the region (FSN) doesn't let me select DC (DC1).

Thanks.

You can spin up multiple and check where they are and then delete them immediately. It'll be much faster, but you'll have to spend a couple of euros.

Update on the site: it works on stock Chrome, but derivatives (like Brave etc.) seem to have issues.

Thanked by 1techboy
  • @techboy said:

@socratesjr said:

That's Good. I actually need HDD Server (for the Seeding and other stuff). Is there any offering from netcup with HDD but good pricing and better networking? The link you gave me has SSD only.

First thing, I don't really trust the 50000 hours hdd drives given in auction. Atleast 4-5 have failed on me during the last 4 years.

Well. If you want I can spin you an unlimited Google drive account for the purpose (for a price contact me in PM). I use it with drive file stream by google where it acts the same as a local disk with unlimited space.

Thanked by 1techboy
  • @socratesjr said: Well. If you want I can spin you an unlimited Google drive account for the purpose (for a price contact me in PM). I use it with drive file stream by google where it acts the same as a local disk with unlimited space.

Please DM me the details. I'm looking forward to discuss this.

• @AC_Fan said: Update on the site: it works on stock Chrome, but derivatives (like Brave etc.) seem to have issues.

What is that? Regarding?

Also, Couple of Euros as in? Is there any base-fees of cancellation in Hetzner Cloud?

I think AWS charges only for the hours of use.

• @AC_Fan said: Nope, monthly billing only, with a grace period of a few days, I believe. But, you can select a DC when you create a Cloud server via the API.

If you don't mind. How do we do it?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited September 2020

@techboy said:

@AC_Fan said: Update on the site: it works on stock Chrome, but derivatives (like Brave etc.) seem to have issues.

What is that? Regarding?

Also, Couple of Euros as in? Is there any base-fees of cancellation in Hetzner Cloud?

The Hetzner website keeps on having issues for me.
    Hetzner charges for a minimum of 1 hour for a VM, so even if you kill it within the first few minutes, it'll be charged for that amount.

@techboy said:

@AC_Fan said: Nope, monthly billing only, with a grace period of a few days, I believe. But, you can select a DC when you create a Cloud server via the API.

Already replied, you can't select a DC, but you can create multiple, check their DC, and then delete immediately. You could spin up quite a few (10-20), check their DC, then delete immediately. Should cost you less than .1 euro.

Thanked by 1techboy
  • techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

@AC_Fan said:

@techboy said:

@AC_Fan said: Update on the site: it works on stock Chrome, but derivatives (like Brave etc.) seem to have issues.

What is that? Regarding?

The Hetzner website keeps on having issues for me.
    Hetzner charges for a minimum of 1 hour for a VM, so even if you kill it within the first few minutes, it'll be charged for that amount.

@techboy said:

@AC_Fan said: Nope, monthly billing only, with a grace period of a few days, I believe. But, you can select a DC when you create a Cloud server via the API.

Already replied, you can't select a DC, but you can create multiple, check their DC, and then delete immediately. You could spin up quite a few (10-20), check their DC, then delete immediately. Should cost you less than .1 euro.

I'm trying to do it with the API. I'm so far able to create server. I just don't understand the syntax to mention the data-center and location in the curl.

curl \
            -X POST \
            -H "Authorization: Bearer $API_TOKEN" \
            -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
            -d '{"name":"my-server","server_type":"cx11","start_after_create":true,"image":"ubuntu-20.04","ssh_keys":["my-ssh-key"],"volumes":[],"networks":[],"user_data":"#cloud-config\nruncmd:\n- [touch, /root/cloud-init-worked]\n","labels":{},"automount":false}' \
            'https://api.hetzner.cloud/v1/servers'

https://docs.hetzner.cloud/#servers-create-a-server

Also, I tried making the server your way. It's making server only in FSN1-DC14.

@AC_Fan said: Already replied, you can't select a DC, but you can create multiple, check their DC, and then delete immediately. You could spin up quite a few (10-20), check their DC, then delete immediately. Should cost you less than .1 euro.

• Be wary. The problem with checking connection speeds with cloud servers is that dedis have guaranteed 1gbps bandwidth but the cloud servers don't. So it would still be unrepresentative of the speeds you'll get in cloud servers, if you are really interested in dedis.
    Makes no sense to me unless you're only checking pings, it's completely useless. Since, the pings are mostly based on locations than datacenters, it really is quite useless to compare.

• Cloud can still do more than what my home connection is capable of.

My home connection is 100Mbps.

• @socratesjr said:
    Be wary. The problem with checking connection speeds with cloud servers is that dedis have guaranteed 1gbps bandwidth but the cloud servers don't. So it would still be unrepresentative of the speeds you'll get in cloud servers, if you are really interested in dedis.
    Makes no sense to me unless you're only checking pings, it's completely useless. Since, the pings are mostly based on locations than datacenters, it really is quite useless to compare.

The Cloud servers have shared 10Gbps. Both options should be more than enough for the overwhelming majority.

edited September 2020

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:
    Be wary. The problem with checking connection speeds with cloud servers is that dedis have guaranteed 1gbps bandwidth but the cloud servers don't. So it would still be unrepresentative of the speeds you'll get in cloud servers, if you are really interested in dedis.

The Cloud servers have shared 10Gbps. Both options should be more than enough for the overwhelming majority.

Shared is the keyword here bro. Anyways, in my experience, I have never seen a cloud server in hetzner give me more than 500 mbps at peak times. Maybe it's just me. In dedis, 90% time I get atleast get more than 700mbps. How is that representative?

• It seems like Hetzner only gives DC14 with FSN1. We cannot open server in DC1-13.

• @techboy said:
    Cloud can still do more than what my home connection is capable of.

My home connection is 100Mbps.

Bro. Then what is the problem with dedis on hetzner? I am pretty sure you are getting atleast 100mbps on the dedis even on auction. Unless you want to switch to cloud servers, there's no point I can see. But, storage is expensive on cloud servers.

• @socratesjr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:

Shared is the keyword here bro. Anyways, in my experience, I have never seen a cloud server in hetzner give me more than 500 mbps at peak times.

It probably is, I usually get rates well over 1Gbps at any time a day on Hetzner cloud servers.

@techboy Your theory is that one DC in Falkenstein is better than the others, however your theory is based on just one observation? Why don’t just contact their support then? Give them the speeds of DC1 and DC10 and just let them solve it.

If there really isn’t a user related problem, chances are it’s a faulty switch or something. If a whole DC has degraded network they would surely know about this.

Mind: Falkenstein is actually 1 DC divided over some odd ten buildings.

Thanked by 1techboy
  • @debaser said: @techboy Your theory is that one DC in Falkenstein is better than the others, however your theory is based on just one observation? Why don’t just contact their support then? Give them the speeds of DC1 and DC10 and just let them solve it.

If there really isn’t a user related problem, chances are it’s a faulty switch or something. If a whole DC has degraded network they would surely know about this.

I don't know but, downloading from one server to my home is full speed most of the time which is hosted on DC1.

But, something on DC10 is always less than 100KB/s

Infact, Hetzner has online file testing link too which is hosted on DC14, which touches 1MB/s rarely and most of the time less than 500KB/s.

^ FSN1 Region all.

edited September 2020

@debaser said:

@socratesjr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@socratesjr said:

Shared is the keyword here bro. Anyways, in my experience, I have never seen a cloud server in hetzner give me more than 500 mbps at peak times.

It probably is, I usually get rates well over 1Gbps at any time a day on Hetzner cloud servers.

@techboy Your theory is that one DC in Falkenstein is better than the others, however your theory is based on just one observation? Why don’t just contact their support then? Give them the speeds of DC1 and DC10 and just let them solve it.

Can you provide me with a bench here for proof of more than 1gbps speed? I am pretty sure you are lying here or they changed something a couple months ago.

Edit: Even their (strategically last question) in the FAQ says that you will probably receive speed at around 200-500mbps.
    https://docs.hetzner.com/cloud/technical-details/faq

• no offense meant, but probably better if you don't go with Hetzner at all.

a) they are not handholding and you seem to require that.
    b) there is no notable speed difference between the DCs. there could be differences for individual servers, racks, switches of course based on congestion and stuff. yet there is nothing like saying DC1 is 50% slower than DC xy or whatever - that's simply nonsense.
    c) for the auction servers you can see in the details before you even order which DC they are in, so you could just be patient and wait for the next one in another DC. they won't have all models in every DC though.

Thanked by 1PHDan
  • techboytechboy Member
    edited September 2020

@Falzo said: no offense meant, but probably better if you don't go with Hetzner at all.

a) they are not handholding and you seem to require that.
    b) there is no notable speed difference between the DCs. there could be differences for individual servers, racks, switches of course based on congestion and stuff. yet there is nothing like saying DC1 is 50% slower than DC xy or whatever - that's simply nonsense.
    c) for the auction servers you can see in the details before you even order which DC they are in, so you could just be patient and wait for the next one in another DC. they won't have all models in every DC though.

Thank you for coming out.

1. Yes, I need it but no, I'm good with it. I'll figure it out.
    2. There is and I'm in the process of proving it. Just few hours from now. And if there is a notable difference between the DC1 and DC10. It has to be something I'm going to send to the support for sure. - Which will make sense soon to you.
    3. I don't know your this comment is to reference to what. :)

More to add to your 2: If you are saying there is no difference? Do you have any proof or reasoning with legit case to counter my point/analysis? Please come with it.

Thank you for your time :smile:

• @techboy - just FYI, I can second @Falzo in terms of my own experience with Hetzner. Multiple dedis across different data centers AND locations. I've never had any consistent issue on Hetzner's side in terms of issues. Helsinki/Finland has been different but that is a well known fact due to poor routing (which has improved over time).

Other than that, I've never had any key differences because of the location or specific DC. Either it's a bad server (or NIC or something else - not something that has happened to me. I've had bad disks and poor IO as a result...) or else it's an intermittent internet issue. Of course this has been my personal experience but I feel comfortable in saying this is/should be the norm and if you're seeing something different it is very likely something else at play.

Anyway I would be very curious to learn more about your findings and I hope you will post them suitably here in case there is anything tangible/learnable from it.

Also, I remember reading a (recent) post somewhere (I'll see if I can dig it up) by @Hetzner_OL that there is no guaranteed bandwidth on any of their cloud servers.

YMMV.

Thanked by 1Falzo