Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is this? Chinese?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is this? Chinese?

Comments

• kontamkontam Member
    edited November 2013

Looks like they're saying "hurry, come on, what's going on?" and the last one is choking someone on the ground. And it's all happening in the woods.

• Anyone know what this mystery substance is?

• Did one of your clients send you that?

• This....this is the shit right here!

• @Ben1002 said:
    Anyone know what this mystery substance is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricularia_auricula-judae

• Secret where it came from. Need to know what it is.

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited November 2013

Edit: the scientific name apparently is Auricularia auricula-judae.

It's dehydrated natural grown "autumn" champignon-style thing (can't find a better translation, since this kind of mushroom thing grows in Asia only).
    With brand name, producer address, and some tags in the front.

On the back of the package is the way for you to cook. Basically put it in warm water for 30 minutes, to have it hydrated, and wash it thoroughly. Then it can be used as a part of a cooking to produce a dish.

It's not a drug, sorry westerners.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited November 2013

Something to be use in soup. Cook with rib for soup

• Are you serious? Looks like old socks to me. Why would something edible be packed like that?

• @kontam said:
    Are you serious? Looks like old socks to me. Why would something edible be packed like that?

This is what it looks like when fully hydrated:
    http://pica.nipic.com/2008-07-15/20087152737343_2.jpg

Do you really think companies will prefer to sell them in the hydrated form?

• This is something which you can use for Stir-Fry or to cook in Soup. You need to boil it in water first. It's apparently good for your health :P

• I don't think you should eat it.. does not look too sanitary the way it's been packed.

• earl said: I don't think you should eat it.. does not look too sanitary the way it's been packed.

If you cook it right it destroys any impurities. Have you ever seen those shows in china showing off the market districts, nothing looks sanitary there.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • @ChrisMiller said:
    If you cook it right it destroys any impurities. Have you ever seen those shows in china showing off the market districts, nothing looks sanitary there.

Yes that may kill bacteria etc.. but not sure what type of chemicals they may have used in processing, could not really see an expiration date as well..

Well it's his tummy, not mine :)

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • DarwinDarwin Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said:

No chemicals, just get rid of water en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_(food)

Btw, what most food processing factories would call sanitary, if it was in your home, you probably would call filthy. And we westerns eat/drink a lot of filthy things too like pink slime or cheap coffee.

That mushroom is not that bad, could be worst, like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg :)

Edit: my bad, I forgot that "high end" coffee is way more disgusting than low end http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Thanked by 1earl
  • Oh,It's Auricularia.I'm Chinese.By the way,tasty good~

• @Darwin said:
    That mushroom is not that bad, could be worst,

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's tasty.. I have had my fair share of Chinese food and I'm quite sure I have eaten mushrooms in Chinese cuisine that probably came packaged the same way.. but I suppose ignorance is bliss.. lol

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I would not eat anything that comes packaged like that.
    You may kill germs by boiling, but the dust, the dirt and parts of the lame cartboard used will remain.
    Besides, I am cooking my own food usually from fresh ingredients I buy at the market.
    The meat, eggs cheese etc, introduce enough of unknowns to have a thrill, no need for the mushrooms to do the same.

• Someday we will die anyway. But that thing not look tasty at all.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I won't eat the food packed like that. When I wanna eat auricularia, I will buy it from market.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@budi1413 said:
    Someday we will die anyway. But that thing not look tasty at all.

Looking first at the picture before reading the thread, i thought it is some fireworks packaging, I have a couple of boxes like that at home since they were still legal.
    Just some crackers, nothing fancy, and that package is barely enough for them I open it once a year for some 5-6 years and still shows signs of heavy wear and tear.

• I thought it was charcoal.. Looks similarly packaged like aquarium filter

• @Maounique said:
    Just some crackers, nothing fancy, and that package is barely enough for them I open it once a year for some 5-6 years and still shows signs of heavy wear and tear.

I'm sorry, the first picture doesn't load on my mobile phone even after refreshing the page. -_- I thought it's just the same as the second picture. :p I'll look using my laptop then.

• This is a great thread! Really enjoy reading all the fun talk

• crush it into a powder and snort it

Thanked by 2Zen Ruchirablog
  • Hmm.. I can really go for some Chinese take out right now!

• WorldWorld Veteran
    edited November 2013

@Jylee said:
    I won't eat the food packed like that. When I wanna eat auricularia, I will buy it from market.

Looks it's "sanwuchanpin",right?

• @Ben1002 said:

Some kind of food

@Ben1002 said:
    Anyone know what this mystery substance is?

This said, how to eat it =D

Soak in water for 39 minutes, the wash once with clean water, then you can fry/cook/whatever along with other ingredient ...

Where do you get this from, it's weird

• @Zen said:
    39 minutes? that's a peculiar instruction for cooking time.

the number is printed in English, 30. Must be a typo.