Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI Racknerd doesn't allow changes to purchased plans - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FYI Racknerd doesn't allow changes to purchased plans

2»

Comments

• OP didn't do anything wrong by requesting resources to be re-allocated. There's no harm in asking. Completely reasonable.

Provider didn't do anything wrong by denying the request. He explained that such requests aren't part of budget pricing. Completely reasonable.

I don't think it's reasonable to have the word "screwed" in the title... It's a bit defamatory because the customer was not screwed over.

Any provider who delivers the promised specs should not have "screwed" next to their name in a forum thread.

Maybe a mod can adjust the thread title?

• @nbn said:
    Is it really that difficult to add a couple GB ram to one VPS and simply destroy a couple other VPS?

It's not just a matter of clicking "+" and "-".

It is pretty much + and - on some control panels. Requires less than 15 minutes of support to ensure proper functioning.

• @DA_Mark said:
    OP didn't do anything wrong by requesting resources to be re-allocated. There's no harm in asking. Completely reasonable.

Provider didn't do anything wrong by denying the request. He explained that such requests aren't part of budget pricing. Completely reasonable.

I don't think it's reasonable to have the word "screwed" in the title... It's a bit defamatory because the customer was not screwed over.

Any provider who delivers the promised specs should not have "screwed" next to their name in a forum thread.

This.

No matter some personal feelings against the company this time they didn't do anything wrong

• @TimboJones said: Why is this so difficult to comprehend? Do you like doing more work for less money at your job? Should I come to your work and tell you to do it differently?

why so aggressive? I understood perfectly and of course it is up to him how he wants to handle that and as I said he did not do anything wrong anyway.

this isn't about telling anyone how to do their work, I made a simple suggestion on what I think could help to keep customers with not much labour or even costs involved.
    of course there will always be a point at which you have to reject customers requests. helping them to switch from loss leader products to the real ones imho should not be it.
    this is more about customer lifecycle, lifetime value and churn, but I guess marketing isn't your strongsuit anyway.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said: I learned a long time ago the value of saying no to custom requests.

Basically this. You end up with a billion custom services and nodes making half as much as they should because you'd have to end up playing Tetris to get every last bit of resources sold.

There's a reason my plans scale the way they do. We know exactly how much a node is making just by how much RAM is sold on it. Everything scales by the same factor from the smallest to the biggest.

Francisco

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Hosterlabs said:

@nbn said:
    Is it really that difficult to add a couple GB ram to one VPS and simply destroy a couple other VPS?

It's not just a matter of clicking "+" and "-".

It is pretty much + and - on some control panels. Requires less than 15 minutes of support to ensure proper functioning.

Ideally yes, but we all know that there’s more to it than just un-allocating/allocating resources, especially on a production environment where there are lots of other clients/nodes - in a nutshell, proper capacity management/planning is required.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

Basically this. You end up with a billion custom services and nodes making half as much as they should because you'd have to end up playing Tetris to get every last bit of resources sold.

There's a reason my plans scale the way they do. We know exactly how much a node is making just by how much RAM is sold on it. Everything scales by the same factor from the smallest to the biggest.

Francisco

Absolutely. The number of people who think that you can just get a discounted because you dont need or want as much disk space on a vps plan, is too damned high!

You sell less disk space on 1 VM at a discount means you need to sell more disk spaces on another at a premium on the same node in an attempt to be balanced, otherwise, youre net worse off.

Network/iSCSI storage is great for that kindof BS though.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited August 2020

Recently had a bizarre request. someone asked for a server with 20-25 IPs but needed to change IPs every few days on demand. So basically they need a large allocation, but dont want to pay for the whole range because they only use a small number at any given time. But availability of new IPs must be made. As if reserving resources has no cost.

Its like people buying wanting 1G of gauranteed bandwidth available 24/7, but only wanting to pay for 20M becuase most of the time they hardly use any.

Imagine hiring a chauffeur to drive you around, but since he's not driving 8 hours a day, asking for a discount. But still needs to be available at all times.

This is how many people think.

• @randvegeta said:

Imagine hiring a chauffeur to drive you around, but since he's not driving 8 hours a day, asking for a discount. But still needs to be available at all times.

I love this analogy as my company is exactly in this field. Luckily enough, we don't have such kind of client.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @thedp said:

Ideally yes, but we all know that there’s more to it than just un-allocating/allocating resources, especially on a production environment where there are lots of other clients/nodes - in a nutshell, proper capacity management/planning is required.

I agree 100%. This might affect your bottomline and so much more. So it is better to refuse.

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

I understand the benefits of fixed resource pricing, but I would imagine the larger the package the lower the actual utilization rate is, allowing more before hitting a performance limit you want.

For me, all my 512MB VPS' are using 400MB or more all the time. My 8GB VPS' are typically 2-4.5GB. When cheap upgrades are offered, I get them, regardless of whether I need them or not, so that becomes ore profit for the provider.

I used to rage on Cloud at Cost for pricing their biggest plans at a worse pricing ratio than the smaller plans, mostly because cores are limited to 8 and IP's for 16 small plans is a lot more costly than 1 8GB plan. The host will also see higher utilization from 16 VPS' over a single 8GB VPS.

But I guess this only works with RAM oversubscription and wouldn't help with fixed RAM allocations.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: For me, all my 512MB VPS' are using 400MB or more all the time. My 8GB VPS' are typically 2-4.5GB. When cheap upgrades are offered, I get them, regardless of whether I need them or not, so that becomes ore profit for the provider.

For KVM it isn't quite like that anymore.

KSM (the memory merging stuff) doesn't do a whole hell of a lot these days given most OS will dirty their whole memory for privacy reasons.

Francisco

Thanked by 3vimalware Abd miu
  • @randvegeta said:

Sadly this is so true it hurts, and it's one of the major reasons I left the hosting business myself.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • swat4swat4 Member
    edited August 2020

@randvegeta said:

Its like people buying wanting 1G of gauranteed bandwidth available 24/7, but only wanting to pay for 20M becuase most of the time they hardly use any.

Oh one more thing to add.

I do have clients asking for a discount for hiring chauffeur service for one full day. I do appreciate that they do not use "he's not driving 8 hours a day" as the reason. They come to me direct, and ask for a discount. For sincere and non-threatening tone, I am always happy to offer. ;)

@swat4 said:

@randvegeta said:

Oh one more thing to add.

I do have clients asking for a discount for hiring chauffeur service for one full day. I do appreciate that they do not use "he's not driving 8 hours a day" as the reason. They come to me direct, and ask for a discount. For sincere and non-threatening tone, I am always happy to offer. ;)

Reasonable discount is fine. Less use of the vehicle means less wear and tear, less fuel consumption, etc. Deducting those costs are reasonable, assuming they were otherwise lumped intogether with the human.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:
    OP didn't do anything wrong by requesting resources to be re-allocated. There's no harm in asking. Completely reasonable.

I agree with your points and agree overall. Thread title is not a fair representation of what is going on here.

@raindog308, what do you think about changing the title to be more reflective of the actual discourse?

Thanked by 1miu
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DA_Mark said: Maybe a mod can adjust the thread title?

Done.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • Dustin did the right thing. I would do the same.

Thanked by 1miu
  • The title sounds stupid

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@gluetenberg said:
    The title sounds stupid

It has been modified to something less dramatic.

• @gluetenberg said:
    The title sounds stupid

When you don't suggest something better, you're just a whiner.

• nbnnbn Member
    edited August 2020

To be fair I was a little irked when I made the title. Useless VPS affecting my business bottom line twice is annoying (since I both have useless small ones sitting and have to pay for upgrades to the one I want to upgrade). I still think I made a reasonable request, but I was unaware hypervising was apparently as user intensive as it is based on the feedback. @seriesn hosts another set of VPS for my business, and they have been really helpful with a few custom requests I have made (which is why I'm gradually moving that way). Its fair for racknerd to deny my request just as it's fair for me to take my business elsewhere to a prem provider like nexusbytes.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark seriesn
  • @nbn said:
    take my business to a prem provider like nexusbytes.

A little bit of win for us too! Down with AlphaRacks!

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @nbn said:
    To be fair I was a little irked when I made the title. Useless VPS affecting my business bottom line twice is annoying (since I both have useless small ones sitting and have to pay for upgrades to the one I want to upgrade). I still think I made a reasonable request, but I was unaware hypervising was apparently as user intensive as it is based on the feedback. @seriesn hosts another set of VPS for my business, and they have been really helpful with a few custom requests I have made (which is why I'm gradually moving that way). Its fair for racknerd to deny my request just as it's fair for me to take my business elsewhere to a prem provider like nexusbytes.

Thanks for being a member of the family <3.

Nexus Bytes brand itself was built based on setting the gold standard for customer satisfaction and service. Hence the family mantra that we live by :).

While RackNerd is doing what is right for the business, we try our best to do what is right by the customer, without hurting us.

Can't compete with pricing these days, nor hardware. But quality value for your investment? We gotchu fam!

• @nbn said:

That was really classy of you to post a follow-up. :star: Turned out to be a really educational thread, too!