Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI Racknerd doesn't allow changes to purchased plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FYI Racknerd doesn't allow changes to purchased plans

nbnnbn Member
edited August 2020 in Reviews

I'm quite annoyed with racknerd. I have ** 23 VPS ** with them for my business, all annual. I asked if I could, on the same node, toss back two vps, a 1.5gb and a 2.5gb to add 2gb ram to an existing 3.5gb vps on the same node and network. Given these are shared resources, all on the same node, it seems logical if I throw back two smaller resources I could add even half or less of the returned resources to an existing VPS on the same node.

Racknerd response:
I understand, however, our products are sold at very low rates. And we cannot exchange unused services for credits towards other resources, etc. It's too much admin work, and our promotions were not designed to support this.
Customers who are committing to a service and billing cycle, are usually keeping the service. Not renegotiated it.
Upgrades are available, however, we do not exchange services for resources. It's not something we are interested in doing.

Get it right the first time. Apparently racknerd is completely inflexible.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

What did you expect at those price points? Support will not have the time to deal with custom requests, I see nothing wrong here.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@dustinc needs to start FlexiNerd now.

• nbnnbn Member

Is it really that difficult to add a couple GB ram to one VPS and simply destroy a couple other VPS?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@nbn said:
    Is it really that difficult to add a couple GB ram to one VPS and simply destroy a couple other VPS?

It's not just a matter of clicking "+" and "-".

Thanked by 2webcraft maverickp
  • nbnnbn Member

@thedp said:

@nbn said:

Upgrades as such are instant if I want to add ram though, so why would this be different if it is a straight destroy a couple instances, and re-provision one instance larger. I'd even be happy to destroy all three for one new slightly larger one. If this is a more involved process than I thought, my bad, but wouldn't it be the same as provisioning new?

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited August 2020

What did you expect from AlphaRacks?

However, now, to prove you wrong they might do your request... just wait for it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Because it requires a costly human intervention. Employees aren’t free.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi All,
    We want to be as flexible as possible however in this case when a customer is wanting to decommission existing services and move those resources over to another, we do not offer this as an option.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration @nbn has experienced.

• @nbn said:
    Upgrades as such are instant if I want to add ram though, so why would this be different if it is a straight destroy a couple instances, and re-provision one instance larger. I'd even be happy to destroy all three for one new slightly larger one. If this is a more involved process than I thought, my bad, but wouldn't it be the same as provisioning new?

It is also part of marketing setup. Surely, other providers will not allow the same and will force you to upgrade to the higher plan.

• @nbn said:

YES! Jesus Christ, Racknerd's response was clear and concise and couldn't have been misinterpreted in any way.

No sympathy for you, and you're going to forever be known as "that guy". Fucking making agreements without understanding and expecting others to bend to their misunderstandings. If annual pricing is the same as 12xmonthly price, just pay monthly! If you paid annually and got a price break, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN OPEN THIS THREAD?

• dynamodynamo Member
    edited August 2020

@nbn said: I'm quite annoyed with racknerd. I have ** 23 VPS ** with them for my business, all annual. I asked if I could, on the same node, toss back two vps, a 1.5gb and a 2.5gb to add 2gb ram to an existing 3.5gb vps on the same node and network. Given these are shared resources, all on the same node, it seems logical if I throw back two smaller resources I could add even half or less of the returned resources to an existing VPS on the same node.

Pathetic of them to be not able to accommodate this. You just wanted to offset 2GB ram out of the already paid for 4GB that you were freeing by cancelling 2 services. They would have gotten back other resources too like IPs, disk etc. (which they can re-sell). The arrangement would have been beneficial for both the parties but provider preferred to leave you with a bitter taste instead. If having 23 services with a host cannot get you this much courtesy, then don't know what else will. If I were you, I would start planning for my next, albeit more accommodating host (as and when my services expire) and consolidation of resources as required.

Thanked by 2nbn BlaZe
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@nbn said:

@dynamo said:

@nbn said: I'm quite annoyed with racknerd. I have ** 23 VPS ** with them for my business, all annual. I asked if I could, on the same node, toss back two vps, a 1.5gb and a 2.5gb to add 2gb ram to an existing 3.5gb vps on the same node and network. Given these are shared resources, all on the same node, it seems logical if I throw back two smaller resources I could add even half or less of the returned resources to an existing VPS on the same node.

Pathetic of them to be not able to accommodate this. You just wanted to offset 2GB ram out of the already paid for 4GB that you were freeing by cancelling 2 services. They would have gotten back other resources too like IPs, disk etc. (which they can re-sell). The arrangement would have been beneficial for both the parties but provider preferred to leave you with a bitter taste instead. If having 23 services with a host cannot get you this much courtesy, then don't know what else will. If I were you, I would start planning for my next, albeit more accommodating host (as and when my services expire) and consolidation of resources as required.

Smaller plans with limited RAM/CPU tend to be used for smaller things (say, a bunch of small websites), while upgrading resources would result in the end user running more CPU/RAM intensive workloads on the same node. You do know that nodes need to be balanced? Therefore, a set number of packages of each kind are created based on such numbers.

Messing standard packages and configurations is certainly not worth the time considering pennies these promos might be bringing in. If you want concierge level services, you have to pay premium prices. I highly doubt (personally, don't even expect) low-end hosts to accommodate such requests for products with negligible margins.

Moral of the story:

• Most of these hosts provide lower spec services at low prices and expects you to upgrade to a higher tier by paying their upgrade cost. It might be simple job from your point of view, but you are thinking of one man show.

If they need to get approvals from their superiors and then need to deploy personnel for the job, it'll cost them a lot more.

Think of it this way. In a certain company I know, the manhour for decision making costs more then the manhour it takes to actually do the job. If there is no net profit from doing it, it wont even be considered.

• @nbn said:

@thedp said:

@nbn said:

Provisioning new, or canceling, or destroying things, is all automatic, and doesn't need human interaction at all.

But customizing one things, is another different story. If you want a flexible plan / provider, I recommend Cloudjiffy / @leapswitch. You can use create 32 1GB of RAM VPS this day, and turn it into 32GB of RAM 1 vps the next day. It's called the Cloud.

• nbnnbn Member

@TimboJones said:

@nbn said:

YES! Jesus Christ, Racknerd's response was clear and concise and couldn't have been misinterpreted in any way.

No sympathy for you, and you're going to forever be known as "that guy". Fucking making agreements without understanding and expecting others to bend to their misunderstandings. If annual pricing is the same as 12xmonthly price, just pay monthly! If you paid annually and got a price break, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN OPEN THIS THREAD?

Lmao.

• Imagine not implementing automatic upgrades for extras on plans >.>

But like others have said, you don't pay for a prem provider, you don't get prem perks.

• Does people seriously not understand why things like this does works the way they do?
    It just boggles my mind that people really think "you can just move the ram to these other vps's" like providers actually do this kind of thing manually and have every vps customized to that exact customers request.
    It's just....fascinating.

• jrheilandjrheiland Member
    edited August 2020

@rcy026 said:
    Does people seriously not understand why things like this does works the way they do?
    It just boggles my mind that people really think "you can just move the ram to these other vps's" like providers actually do this kind of thing manually and have every vps customized to that exact customers request.
    It's just....fascinating.

No, but you can create tiered upgrades which will modify what the specs are in whmcs, sync over to the hypervisor, then instruct they restart the VM for the hypervisor to allocate the memory.

It's not truly automatic. But it certainly makes ram upgrade a breeze.

From the perspective here, it seriously wouldn't be hard to adjust the specs in whmcs (assuming you have it setup to be tiered), let it sync to the hypervisor and allow for a restart.

That would be the smartest way to do it to prevent these types of situations and limit admin time on upgrades.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • Hi guys,

I am new to LET and have been reading many posts in order to catch up with the community news. I do constantly come across offer from RackNerd and therefore tried to find more information via the Search box. Then I am confused. There are so many other host names showing up, like AlphardRakcs, YourLastHost, ColoCrossing etc.

I don't quite get it. May anyone be kind enough to explain a bit what they are?

Thank you.

@swat4 said:
    Hi guys,

I am new to LET and have been reading many posts in order to catch up with the community news. I do constantly come across offer from RackNerd and therefore tried to find more information via the Search box. Then I am confused. There are so many other host names showing up, like AlphardRakcs, YourLastHost, ColoCrossing etc.

Thank you.

They are a shady company with a shady owner and suspected connections to the owner of this site, that's why they get so much advertisment.

You can find reliable providers which are still cheap and have bigger chances of being around in the long term. For example: HostUS and BuyVM. They also own their critical resources instead of renting them, an important indicator of their willingness to stay in the market.

• @Nyr said:

@swat4 said:
    Hi guys,

Thank you.

They are a shady company with a shady owner and suspected connections to the owner of this site, that's why they get so much advertisment.

You can find reliable providers which are still cheap and have bigger chances of being around in the long term. For example: HostUS and BuyVM. They also own their critical resources instead of renting them, an important indicator of their willingness to stay in the market.

Hi Nyr,

Thank you for updating me on in this end.

I have also came across advertisement from the two hosts recommended. Will keep them in mind.

• Adding Hosthatch, Liteserver.nl, Prometeus, Drserver, VPSDIME, to the list of owned-hardware quality providers.

P. S : AlphaVPS (Bulgaria based) is Prem. Not to be confused with any other shit host that starts with the word Alpha

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@vimalware said: owned-hardware

I specifically said "critical resources" and not hardware, because some hosts will need to kick lots of low-margin customers if/when they get a significant price hike on their rented IP space. Which is also the case of RackNerd, by the way.

Not everyone who rents IP space is in the same situation as some upstreams can afford to do it, while others are way more constrained in that regard. It is also not the same if you rent IP space from your datacenter, where they have more to lose than if you rent a /24 monthly from a direct competitor.

• i did not read all above
    just said, i respect for racknerd all team, base on a month later

• @swat4 said:
    Hi guys,

Thank you.

Are you asking how "search" feature works?

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

So why offer promos in the first place that only make pennies? Because you hope to get your name out there, get some good reviews, good word-of-mouth references, etc., because you never know what that client is going to bring in.

Sometimes it makes good business sense to go a little out of your way for one client, but unfortunately, good business sense is not something you can teach. I can't tell you how many times a client I made pennies off of has brought me clients with very deep pockets. Hell, I have a client right now who makes me nothing. I gave him a couple VPS for free for his college class and a project they were doing. Sometimes he needs some support. Sometimes he just has some general server management questions. He has since brought me two new clients in the last few months spending 4-figures a month each.

All the refrigerator magnets in the world don't make up for good customer service. Some people have to learn that the hard way.

Thanked by 3seriesn BlaZe vimalware
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@WSWD said:
    So why offer promos in the first place that only make pennies? Because you hope to get your name out there, get some good reviews, good word-of-mouth references, etc., because you never know what that client is going to bring in.

Sometimes it makes good business sense to go a little out of your way for one client, but unfortunately, good business sense is not something you can teach. I can't tell you how many times a client I made pennies off of has brought me clients with very deep pockets. Hell, I have a client right now who makes me nothing. I gave him a couple VPS for free for his college class and a project they were doing. Sometimes he needs some support. Sometimes he just has some general server management questions. He has since brought me two new clients in the last few months spending 4-figures a month each.

All the refrigerator magnets in the world don't make up for good customer service. Some people have to learn that the hard way.

Hello,
    You're not wrong. Understanding, patience, willingness to help, willingness to give, getting attention are just some of the important steps to creating a successful business. I totally understand and I'm with you.

Of course, there is always more to the story and two-sides to every story.

We have what I'd like to think a solid and professional relationship with this end-user as well as willingness to be creative, and offered flexibility for the end-user in the past and will continue to do so (within limits).

Should the end-user (our valued customer) choose to comment on our service level aside from the original post I wouldn't be surprised if they were to say they've been happy otherwise.

We, however, cannot accommodate every single modification request. To provide more feedback (being transparent/open and of course honest) which a community like this can appreciate, this particular end-user prior to the latest request inquired about exchanging services for our new KVM NVMe product line. And most recently inquired about canceling existing yearly services so that those resources could then be allocated to existing services.

Again, we are willing to help and go above and beyond but there are limits.

Thanked by 1CasualCanvas
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2020

I learned a long time ago the value of saying no to custom requests. Over time the technical debt stacks up and you realize it would've been better off losing a few sales. It's an easy mistake to fall into when you only have a couple thousand or less clients, and then regret when you're later trying to deal with much higher numbers. Uniform data makes easier models and simpler product maintenance/development.

• @dustinc you for sure are not wrong here.

however maybe consider achieving a win-win middleground in such situation by not customizing stuff, but offering a refund of 50% of the remainder of these service the customer wants to get rid of - only into account credits ofc and after they purchased a new bigger service - may it be from your nvme line or whatever.

from a customer perspective I would like a deal like that, buy the new/bigger service I want, consolidate and cancel three minor others and get a bit money back for the remainder to happily spend on with your services.

from a sellers perspective you would gain an upsell and don't lose over the early cancellations because you would not need to manually adjust ressources and pricing etc. - only after the cancellation put in some credits for your beloved customer, which most likely does not take longer than answering here. another success story. done.

• @Falzo said:
    @dustinc you for sure are not wrong here.

however maybe consider achieving a win-win middleground in such situation by not customizing stuff, but offering a refund of 50% of the remainder of these service the customer wants to get rid of - only into account credits ofc and after they purchased a new bigger service - may it be from your nvme line or whatever.

from a customer perspective I would like a deal like that, buy the new/bigger service I want, consolidate and cancel three minor others and get a bit money back for the remainder to happily spend on with your services.

from a sellers perspective you would gain an upsell and don't lose over the early cancellations because you would not need to manually adjust ressources and pricing etc. - only after the cancellation put in some credits for your beloved customer, which most likely does not take longer than answering here. another success story. done.

Then buy monthly and not annually! There's no refunds on annual purchases, so right off the top, you're causing increase in labour for decrease in revenue for the possibility they'll spend the savings back into the company. If they need the flexibility, just rent monthly. It's not rocket science, it's just not being a shitty customer.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend? Do you like doing more work for less money at your job? Should I come to your work and tell you to do it differently?

Thanked by 3jar vyas11 bdl