Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3-month OVH VPS Review in Singapore
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

3-month OVH VPS Review in Singapore

swat4swat4 Member
edited August 2020 in Reviews

Dear LETs,

I am new to LET and It is my first time writing here. Apologies in advance if I could not further my discussion if you ask me further as I have to admit that my knowledge in server is still very limited.

In the past, I have never heard of VPS. What I knew was only web-hosting and Dedi. With the former being very cheap, the latter being very expensive. That's all I know.

It was only until COVID lockdown then I picked up a long-lost PC Game (Well.. if you look at my name you'd know :smiley: ). I was seeing some players not getting nice connection speed (latency) because of geographical reasons so I started looking for ways how I could set up game rooms in different parts of the world to bridge the gap. That was how I knew about VPS.

Since getting my first VPS, it is like an addiction that you would want to buy a small one when you see a good offer - Even though you don't actually need it - Buy it and let it idle. And throughout the past few months, I have had tried many providers and witnessed several types of hosting companies:

(1) Solid performance - Responsive in ticket answering - Very Expensive
(2) So-So performance (usable) - Responsive in ticket answering - Not Expensive
(3) Disappointing performance (barely usable) - Mediocre in ticket answering - Cheap
(4) Solid performance - Rubbish in ticket answering - Not Expensive

And my ranking for this review will be (4).

Spec on website:

Name: VPS Essential
CPU: 2V core
RAM: 4B ram
Storage: 80GB NVMe
Price: 15 SGD (approx 11 USD)

Uptime: so far the server has been up, never down for a second
Storage: https://ibb.co/Hp266zV
CPU: https://ibb.co/dkbw0dD
RAM: https://ibb.co/4SQzmFf
Ticket: There is always 1 staff answering your ticket with standardized scripts. Can't rely on them. The hotline is a joke too - even during office hours, there is no one picking it up.

Verdict: Very solid performance. Expect 0% of support (even though you are asking question about billing / something that only they can answer etc, you expect to wait for a week at least). With such price, I don't think you would get anywhere near (in terms of performance) from other companies.

Comments

• Where is YABS and Monster benches..

• @chocolateshirt

Nice catch. This VPS is now managed by a fellow in the SWAT4 Game. I will ask him to see if he can help us get it when he is online and free.

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited August 2020

Agree with the specs. But for personal vpn, I choose hostus for better connections here :)
    For game server, I think ovh is the best choice :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @akhfa

Thank you. I barely knew anything about VPS while signing up for OVH. Therefore it is still managed by a friend who also plays SWAT4.

For VPN, I am interested in trying to see if a newbie like me can do. Do you have any recommendation? OpenVPN or something else?

• edited August 2020

@swat4 said:
    @akhfa

Thank you. I barely knew anything about VPS while signing up for OVH. Therefore it is still managed by a friend who also plays SWAT4.

For VPN, I am interested in trying to see if a newbie like me can do. Do you have any recommendation? OpenVPN or something else?

Wireguard is better than OpenVPN. You could use 1 line script Wireguard Installer by @Nyr on github.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@swat4 said:
    @akhfa

Wireguard is better than OpenVPN. You could use 1 line script Wireguard Installer by @Nyr on github.

Agree again with Nyr wireguard script. But I don't know it will disrupt the game server or not. Better to use another vps, or maybe take snapshot of your vps before installing the wireguard, so you can revert easily when anything happened.

• @swat4 said:
    Verdict: Very solid performance. Expect 0% of support (even though you are asking question about billing / something that only they can answer etc, you expect to wait for a week at least). With such price, I don't think you would get anywhere near (in terms of performance) from other companies.

Can vouch for the support. The billing departement clearly doesn't even know what they are talking about. Only after I opened a thread on LET they are able to straigh things up.

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited August 2020

Same/Better performance + 100% support from Hetzner. Sorry, case closed :)

Thanked by 1vero
  • @fLoo said:

I didn't know Hetzner opened up in SGP.

Thanked by 3vimalware vikram miu
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@akhfa said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@swat4 said:
    @akhfa

Agree again with Nyr wireguard script. But I don't know it will disrupt the game server or not. Better to use another vps, or maybe take snapshot of your vps before installing the wireguard, so you can revert easily when anything happened.

My installer will not disrupt the game server, don't worry about it :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @chocolateshirt said:

@swat4 said:
    @akhfa

Thanks man. I will take a look.

• @akhfa said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@swat4 said:
    @akhfa

Haha! Good advice :)

Actually I am getting a bit obsessed with buying a small vps everywhere. Definitely I won't do anything with game servers. I always separate game servers from other usage.

• @AC_Fan said:

@fLoo said:

Me either....

Correct me if I am wrong - Hetzner only supports Germany and Finland...

• @Nyr said:

@akhfa said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@swat4 said:
    @akhfa

My installer will not disrupt the game server, don't worry about it :)

No worries. I can see many small vps here sold at a cheap price :) Doesn't matter getting one to try.

• @swat4 said:

@AC_Fan said:

@fLoo said:

Me either....

Correct me if I am wrong - Hetzner only supports Germany and Finland...

They haven't, I was merely being sarcastic on their irrelevant comment.

• swat4swat4 Member
    edited August 2020

@chocolateshirt said:
    Where is YABS and Monster benches..

Capture

capture
    upload pic

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Nice, btw you could use markdown code to format YABS result..

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Nice, btw you could use markdown code to format YABS result..

Sorry man. I must admit that I am new to forum, not only LET. Would you mind showing me how I can do it better?

Thank you.

• You could use this format

• swat4swat4 Member
    edited August 2020

@chocolateshirt
    Thank you. I must admit that it looks Greek to me so I'd need some time to digest. In the meanwhile, I have edited the original message and I hope everyone would find it easier to read.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @swat4 said:
    @chocolateshirt
    Thank you. I must admit that it looks Greek to me so I'd need some time to digest. In the meanwhile, I have edited the original message and I hope everyone would find it easier to read.

Yeah, it is decent VPS from OVH.

• one more downside of using OVH as VPN: some website block the access from OVH

• verovero Member, Host Rep

One more annoying thing in OVH is slow control panel. It's clearly No. 1 in this regard.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@swat4 said:
    @chocolateshirt

Yeah, it is decent VPS from OVH.

I totally agree with you sir. The only downside is how they respond to ticket. (Even if they are not about technical support, which I have not expected any from them.)

• @vero said:
    One more annoying thing in OVH is slow control panel. It's clearly No. 1 in this regard.

Oh. That's right. And not user-friendly when navigating between sections.

• @drakula said:
    one more downside of using OVH as VPN: some website block the access from OVH

Thank you for pointing out. I don't use them as VPN so I am not aware.

Do you have any low-end VPS that you would recommend for a private VPN for self-use?

• oneprovider has SG cloud vps but I haven't tried it yet

• @swat4 umh... Are you playing 1.0, 1.1 or TSS?

I was a fucking legend at that game <3 and I was also hosting hundreds of gameservers for tens of clans including mine :blush: Sorry for OT but you know... nostalgia.

• @drakula Thanks for your input. I guess bandwidth is the main hindrance to hosting comapanies.

@Katamaze I am glad finally I met someone that plays SWAT4! I am currently on 1.1 and TSS, And not sure if you have heard of SEF 7.0? That surely has taken the game to the next level!

• Yes, I played SEF but most of the times we were playing clan wars (barricaded suspects) on 1.0 & 1.1 all night long :D Before I sold my ex-company (a game service provider) I was hosting any version of this awesome game including hundreds of custom maps and mods. What a great game.

Hopefully "Ready or Not" will be the new Swat4.