Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creative ideas for moving 60TB of data?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Creative ideas for moving 60TB of data?

edited August 2020 in Help

I'm in Switzerland, and need to move 60TB of data from my home NAS to a temporary location while I rebuild the box the data is currently on. I have 1G FTTH so bandwidth isn't so much of an issue.

The cheapest logical option I've found so far appears to be a Hetzner SX132 @ EUR 184/mo (+EUR196.04 setup fee, and 30-day cancellation notice).

Does anyone have any other creative ideas or suggestions? If it has connectivity to SwissIX, that's a bonus.

Backups are cold, remote and would be far slower than a hot wire sync so restoring is not my preferred method.

Comments

• Correction: 60TB in the post is correct, not 50TB in the title.

• @HowardWolowitz said:
    I'm in Switzerland, and need to move 60TB of data from my home NAS to a temporary location while I rebuild the box the data is currently on. I have 1G FTTH so bandwidth isn't so much of an issue.

The cheapest logical option I've found so far appears to be a Hetzner SX132 @ EUR 184/mo (+EUR196.04 setup fee, and 30-day cancellation notice).

Does anyone have any other creative ideas or suggestions? If it has connectivity to SwissIX, that's a bonus.

Backups are cold, remote and would be far slower than a hot wire sync so restoring is not my preferred method.

Google Drive for you :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Google Drive is cheapest option, Amazon and Microsoft cloud are very expensive.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2020

STORE-1-L from Online: https://www.scaleway.com/fr/dedibox/store/
    with 12x4TB disks and a bit cheaper (150 EUR), especially for setup (100 EUR).
    Doesn't quite add up to 60TB though.

But it all sounds a bit insane to me, what do you mean "rebuild"?* Couldn't you find a way to do it without wiping the data? Rather than spend 300 euros on something you'll use just for a few days.

* I guess MD RAID to ZFS or the other way round. In which case better look for creative ways to ensure you don't need to solve such an issue ever again. (Building 2-3 smaller arrays, switching to 2 or more separate smaller NASes, etc).

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited August 2020

@rm_ still missing about 12TB ;-)

even if you achieve close to ideal rates on 1Gbps the transfer in one direction only will already take about 6-7 days. the rebuild itself probably will take some time and then get all data back onto it. so it's most likely really gonna be a month and not just a few days.

maybe 6x storageboxes BX60 from hetzner is an option? incoming traffic is free, so 20TB per box should be sufficient to get the data back. ~278€ , if you manage to do all of it within one month.

PS: and I agree with @rm_ kind of insane. maybe check if you really need all those ... data. or simply get rid of sh't ;-)

Thanked by 2rm_ vimalware
  • Buy extra drives, transfer it to it. Put it back. Sell the drives you bought as low used with #of hours shown? Lose the 100 ish bucks from buying/selling?

• OujiOuji Member

@chocolateshirt said: Google Drive for you

>

@WebProject said: Google Drive is cheapest option, Amazon and Microsoft cloud are very expensive.

>

I think that the GSuite has a limitation of 800GB/day or something like that, not sure of the normal Google Drive.

• GSuite is the way to go for you. Billing is prorated, and there's a two week trial. Plus, it's going to Google, which should ensure that throughput isn't an issue.

• OVH ADV-STOR-2 with 6*12TB is 199+99 EUR

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@HowardWolowitz said: Correction: 60TB in the post is correct, not 50TB in the title.

Fixed it for you

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • Is LTO even an option? Or does the initial cost blow things out of proportion.

Otherwise as @falzo and @rm_ pointed out, this is going to be very tricky to do even with 1Gbps traffic rates (ideally 100MB/s but realistically less than even 50MB/s average) - if you're able to do ~4TB/day you should be good. >15 days to upload that 60TB of data (and of course I'm assuming it's 60 compressed!) Add another similar set to get the data back (and of course hope that you don't have any RAID crashes on the storage server WHILE you're rebuilding your home NAS).

It seems like a better investment to get a parallel cheapish rig and plonk in the 4-6 disks and then just expand your NAS - own is better than rent.

How does one accumulate 60TB of data that is not replicated publicly elsewhere though is a head scratching question...

Fortunately in my stately world I have more reasonable problems...

Also, 1TB at 150MB/s (decent sustained HDD speed) is going to take 6990s ~2 hours.

So 60TB ~ 120 Hours. Now divide by the number of disks in your array and you'll get the minimum raw time to complete the disk-to-disk copy.

I really think there's a better way to divide your NAS into multiple "pools" and rebuild one pool at a time with a temporary buffer of 10TB or 20TB and then later use those extra disks to expand the pool. Added bonus, your data never leaves your network and you can likely take your own sweet time to do it properly without spending too much.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

One more thing is a chance to get in trouble with the ISP for trying to upload 60TB continuously as fast as possible.

And forgot to mention, since you say it is backed up anyways, there's little to no reason to run any sort of RAID at home, just merge all the drives with MergerFS or the like, and if any HDD fails, just restore the data that was on it from the backup. A nice win in capacity (due to no redundancy space), and in simplicity of not having to pray to this huge white elephant RAID of 60TB, requiring 300 EURO servers just to copy stuff back and forth.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Look for a place that have HDD's for rent like a camera store.

• https://skynode.eu/dedicated/configure/45
    112 euro a month for 72TB, no setup fee, 1gbps, Poland.

• @dkking said:
    Buy extra drives, transfer it to it. Put it back. Sell the drives you bought as low used with #of hours shown? Lose the 100 ish bucks from buying/selling?

while I think this approach could be the cheapest in the end and also quite fast, you'd probably need a 1k investment upfront... not neccessarily play money at hand ;-)

• 1Fichier - it's just hot storage.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • @rm_ said:
    One more thing is a chance to get in trouble with the ISP for trying to upload 60TB continuously as fast as possible.

And forgot to mention, since you say it is backed up anyways, there's little to no reason to run any sort of RAID at home, just merge all the drives with MergerFS or the like, and if any HDD fails, just restore the data that was on it from the backup. A nice win in capacity (due to no redundancy space), and in simplicity of not having to pray to this huge white elephant RAID of 60TB, requiring 300 EURO servers just to copy stuff back and forth.

I'm curious what his backup 3-2-1 plan is considering his backups are too slow to be useful. If bad shit actually happened and he needed the backups, would they be useless because it'd take so long to recover from? Worst time to find out is when the recovery is needed.

Maybe it's personal choice, but going RAID at home is to partially avoid the hassle of having to selectively restore from backups.

• Borrow a Google drive education from someone, sync to it, rebuild your box, connect and resync your data to the box, return the Google drive account.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BTW what is the RAID config at home? Do you need to do all 60TB at once?

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@default said:
    1Fichier - it's just hot storage.

Second!! Use 1Fichier, its a fraction of the cost compared to a dedicated server from Hetzner. Upload directly with FTP and download it with wget.

https://1fichier.com/tarifs.html

• Perhaps you can rent some drives if possible in your area.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@HowardWolowitz said:

• Alternative 1
      Scaleway C14 Cold Storage - 120€, free transfer in/out. 5++ nines durability, 99.99 availability.
      Switzerland - Paris is a short distance (well, relative to the global internet) and very well connected I guess. You can use rclone or any software that works with Amazon S3.
      Advantages: Excellent reliability/durability at low cost and, if needed, some time reserve.
      Disadvantages: Almost one week of upload time and another one of (re) download time, potential trouble/overcharges from your ISP.

• Alternative 2
      Find someone (e.g. a LET provider) who can use or even needs 60+ TB worth of drives, have him buy them (so he has the warranty) but shipped to you for e.g. 2 weeks and you pay e.g. €100 for the friendly service. Such, he gets drives known to be almost new but somewhat cheaper while you have 60 TB in drives for the time needed.
      Advantages: local backup, much faster
      Disadvantages: You first need someone needing 60+ TB worth of drives in the first place plus you probably need a second system with good disk controller.

Hints: Try to compress your data as much as possible. Saving of capacity directly translates to significant cost reduction.
    If storing at some provider (C14, Hetzner, ...) you should encrypt your data.

• Google Drive could be cheapest option

Use wasabi/b2 if you want something reliable. You can talk to their sales on ur use case. The most you have to pay is 60*5 EUR. On the other hand, try hetzner auction server with couple of drives intact. You can cancel after you finished using that <200 EUR (if u used up to a month).

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2020

The cheapest legit way I'd do it:

5x gsuite-Business monthly users.
    Limits :Allowed 750GB upload (80mbit) + 10TB download per day.

With 5 accounts, that's 16days to upload, if your ISP let's you use 5x80mbit upload connections for that duration. (400mbit sustained).

Downloading the data back would take 6-7 days, assuming 10TB/day via Google ISP peering is no biggie for your ISP.

50 eur total expense?

Makes you question the logic of having so much data in your room. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Remember gsuite ' legal terms' say unlimited storage for 5 accounts minimum.

• @Cam said:

@default said:
    1Fichier - it's just hot storage.

Second!! Use 1Fichier, its a fraction of the cost compared to a dedicated server from Hetzner. Upload directly with FTP and download it with wget.

https://1fichier.com/tarifs.html

I see the plans are very cheap and it's only 3EUR/month for 1TB storage. Can I store files there indefinitely as long as I pay the fee.. It's hard to believe they offer cheap services while B2 and Wasabi are quite expensive compared to 1F. I am looking to move from B2 to 1F if it really works and I have around 10TB of data.

• Has anyone not realized that, even if OP finds a solution online, their ISP will most likely throttle, suspend, or disconnect their internet service for abuse?

60TB is insane and most sane ISPs will call you and ask what’s up... Just buy some hard drives OP!

• @Edmond said:
    Has anyone not realized that, even if OP finds a solution online, their ISP will most likely throttle, suspend, or disconnect their internet service for abuse?

60TB is insane and most sane ISPs will call you and ask what’s up... Just buy some hard drives OP!

May not be the case, if the ISP is just handing off traffic at IX to GOOG.
    It depends on whether you're dealing with a low level PFY.

• @vimalware said:

@Edmond said:
    Has anyone not realized that, even if OP finds a solution online, their ISP will most likely throttle, suspend, or disconnect their internet service for abuse?

May not be the case, if the ISP is just handing off traffic at IX to GOOG.
    It depends on whether you're dealing with a low level PFY.

With residential ISPs, I don’t believe they look at that. It’ll probably set off an automatic red flag at the ISP for them to contact their customer...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited August 2020

1fichier will be your best bet. Get the 2$/mo plan, up to 60 days of unlimited hot storage, and after 60 days it’s $1 per additional TB of cold storage per month.

They include (S)FTP access, you can start up multiple instances of rclone so you can transfer files multi threaded. They have a hard cap of 500mbit per transfer, but if you do it multi threaded you can saturate their 10G link to the internet per storage box