Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorials You'd Like to See? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutorials You'd Like to See?

Comments

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@TimboJones said:

@BlaZe said:
    EDIT:
    Making use of low end VM to setup a home security solution? (which allows you see the camera feed even via external internet - data being transmitted via the low end VM, for, extra security)

You do realize going through a low end VPS is less secure (and slower) than securing your home camera access?

I wrongly phrased it (rather was an incomplete question), I meant storing the recordings on a storage server as well as being able to view it on-demand, just to prevent my home ISP IP/network being exposed.

@raindog308 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said: How to deadpool 20 hosts at once and get away with it?

@BlaZe said: How to turn a blind eye for potential scammy hosts being reported by the community and not giving a fcuk about it since its warming your pockets and then later declare you were just a pawn, coming down clean, to whitewash your image by publishing interviews of some members.

Funny, when you two had the opportunity to ask ownership any question you wanted, you suddenly had nothing to say.

Chill, it was just a cheap shot I took for, you know, drama, coz, this is, LET after all :p

I'm far less bothered about the scammy operations or the shady practices which took place earlier, as people are naive to fall into the same trap again and again. Wisdom comes from experience and there will be idiots in the world who will lose their money to such malicious business operations.

Also, if my memory serves me right, I did ask about it or said something similar in a thread as a reply but it got overlooked or I don't remember but it was few months back. I'm not the person who will go on a witch-hunt to catch the person doing the immoral and unethical business practises. I leave that on "karma" as long as it doesn't affect me directly. I was wise enough to Google, search on LET and inquire couple of known people in the industry before trying out CC and the related hosts/resellers when the, you know, "operations" were taking place. Everything is there on the internet if anyone in the future wishes to dig into it. There's a reason why many left this forum and migrated to the "other places" and you exactly know why @raindog308

You're entitled to your belief and I am to mine. You can support whoever you wish to, that's completely fine. As I stated above and I'll say it again, "karma is a bitch".

No hard feelings though as I'm not gonna bring it up again after this.

EDIT:
    Also, I see the man trying to distance himself from the whole fiasco and wishes to start afresh by bringing the community live again. So, gotta give it to that but still, it will never whitewash whatever happened earlier. I might not have the complete insider information but I totally rely on the threads/responses made here in LET in different threads as well as on the "other forums" for my understanding of the unethical business operations done in the past. So excuse me for taking the highway (and don't ban me :p I love this place)

EDIT2:
    I just saw the thread you posted regarding the AMA and the questions asked there, well, excited to read the answers to them unless they are ignored which will just raise the doubt & suspicion even more :D regarding the whole fiasco which most are aware of. I do understand that it is all a personal choice whether to answer them or not but would be a good read on the explanations, not that he owes the community anything, but, drama!

LET is stale without a drama and the last drama was weeks back I guess.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • OujiOuji Member

@kennsann said: But its not for hetzner. I read somewhere that you need to get mac addresses for each NAT VM. Not so sure so correct me if I am wrong, so wanted to get a guide specifically for hetzner.

I followed that to setup on a Hetzner SB (auction server) and it worked without any MAC config. Try and let me know if it works.

• hello @raindog308 missed u

• @TimboJones said: what IDS people use.

Believe it or not, I still use AIDE. I know a lot of people think it's useless, but I've just been using it for so long it's force of habit.

• eKoeKo Member

@raindog308 said:
    What topics would you like to see addressed in future LowEndBox tutorials?

The only requirement is that it be something of general interest to LET/LEB readers.

something like this (2020 updated) and/or security related guides using cloudflare : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/33971/script-to-enable-disable-cloudflare-ddos-protection-automatically#latest

Thanks

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rajprakash said: Believe it or not, I still use AIDE. I know a lot of people think it's useless, but I've just been using it for so long it's force of habit.

I actually already wrote one on AIDE :-) It's coming up.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • Automating stuff with bash, basically how to write a bash script, best practices, how to deal with variables, errors, multi-system support, etc...

Thanked by 1doughnet

@lokuzard said: Automating stuff with bash, basically how to write a bash script, best practices, how to deal with variables, errors, multi-system support, etc...

I'm actually teaching a class on bash at work now...

Thanked by 2lokuzard doughnet
  • spunspun Member

I think a good tutorial would be starting with one domain, one cheapo VPS (Ubuntu, CentOS, etc...) and showing step by step a basic setup to get the domain live with a default WordPress install. Bonus points for installing any control panel.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Thanks to those who've provided some suggestions here. And of course thanks to @raindog308 for putting this content together.

• UnrealServersUnrealServers Member
    edited July 2020

@imok said:

@raindog308 said: What topics would you like to see addressed in future LowEndBox tutorials?

High availablity: MariaDB Galera cluster, file system cluster, haproxy, varnish...

Real HA is sorcery depending on how far you want to take it. Fencing is going to be tricky on low end hosting and it will be very hard to get into a fenced node to analyze the failure before it comes back up too.

I've had good luck with pacemaker and drbd on EL7 though. But it takes a lot of swearing and IPMI to get it set up right. You don't need KVMoIP but SOL sure comes in handy when configuring.

@lokuzard said:
    Automating stuff with bash, basically how to write a bash script, best practices, how to deal with variables, errors, multi-system support, etc...

Read the ABSG (Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, by Mendel Cooper. It is like the moment in 'The Matrix' where Neo Learns Kung Fu.
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
    Read it twice if you need the first time, and then once yearly for the next 5 years to cement it.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited July 2020

@raindog308 said:

@lokuzard said: Automating stuff with bash, basically how to write a bash script, best practices, how to deal with variables, errors, multi-system support, etc...

I'm actually teaching a class on bash at work now...

A really good '200 level' course I think would be something like Ansible. It's a big topic that could be a specialization, but maybe something simple like installing some packages and changing the SSH port (and configuring SELinux/the firewall to allow it)

I started out writing scripts for these things, but nowadays I find it quicker and more effective to use Ansible. Some pseudo code later you're able to idempotently setup things in a way that can be compatible with many target operating systems. It's also highly reusable with well-written roles

I'd be happy to contribute/advise, I've been doing this stuff for years. Issue is, the day job keeps me pretty busy :smile: May take me a while to come up with something stamp worthy

Thanked by 2raindog308 lokuzard

@jlay said: A really good '200 level' course I think would be something like Ansible.

Ha, I just did a class today on Ansible as well LOL

Two different audiences...bash is for a team that has no real sense of scripting. I argued that they may way to learn python or something like that instead but yadda yadda they wanted bash.

Ansible class was for a different need for people who will spend 90% of their time either using very basic ansible modules (file, command, synchronize, maybe cron) and vendor-supplied ansible modules that interact with the API. Ansible is so easy to use that we spent most of the class talking about the finer points of YAML.

I love ansible...and there's an ansible 101 tutorial already scheduled for LEB.

Thanked by 3imok jlay lokuzard

@UnrealServers said: Real HA is sorcery depending on how far you want to take it. Fencing is going to be tricky on low end hosting and it will be very hard to get into a fenced node to analyze the failure before it comes back up too.

I've had good luck with pacemaker and drbd on EL7 though. But it takes a lot of swearing and IPMI to get it set up right. You don't need KVMoIP but SOL sure comes in handy when configuring.

I did a HA Wordpress (using MySQL bi-directional & DRBD) tut...it's coming up.

Pacemaker and floating IPs that failover etc seems really old school to me. I cut my teeth on Solaris + Veritas Cluster + shared storage but most of what I deploy these days does not use the "fail the IP over" method. In the enterprise it's load balancers...in the LowEnd world it's RRDNS.

@UnrealServers said: Read the ABSG (Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, by Mendel Cooper.

I will check it out. I like Chris FA Johnson's book "Shell Scripting Recipes" which I found to be really fun.

TBH, though I know the shell (ksh, bash) inside and out, I vastly prefer to write stuff in perl.

• PHDanPHDan Member
    edited July 2020

@raindog308 said: I love ansible

Possibility of Puppet and Bolt?

Bash is nice, 90% of the crap I write is slated for the class "What NOT to do with shell" and it's follow-up "POSIX? What the fuck is that?"

• imokimok Member

+1 for ansible

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • I really want a bash tutorial for creating HTML forms

• the "fail the IP over" method.

ip failover is for site-local redundancy

dns is for when your failure mode involves a hurricane or bomb or geopolitical action

And you should check into the CLUSTERIP iptables module. It lets all servers in the cluster actively use the same production IP, at the same time, without conflicts, for real. (They each selectively ignore all but 1/n of the internet where n is the number of online nodes). Clever.

• RedSoxRedSox Member

How to split a dedicated server into KVM slices using open source products

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • Unless you are looking at overloading, its fairly simple. Just install ESXi or Proxmox

@RedSox said:

How to split a dedicated server into KVM slices using open source products

@PHDan said: Possibility of Puppet and Bolt?

Puppet has the stench of Ruby.

I think with Puppet you need to go and setup agents, no? I really don't know that product. One thing I like about Ansible is it is 100% agentless which means you can use it even for one-off commands as opposed to formally managing nodes.

@tradeplanner said: I really want a bash tutorial for creating HTML forms

I'm really not sure what you mean.

I personally would not have my webserver calling shell scripts...

• Iptables with good Nat forwarding tips

• emgemg Veteran

Rather than writing yet another tutorial, I would like to see a well-organized index of "best in class" webpage and website tutorials that already exist. Building that index would:

• Help newbies get started with VPSs and hosting.
    • Provide guides and recommendations for best-in-class security, maintenance, backups, and other essential activities.
    • Help more experienced members find the "good stuff" to guide them through challenging procedures and activities.
    • Enable members to be more self-reliant.
    • Help identify holes where a newly written tutorial would do the most good.
  • tutorial id like to see is on how to take a port # (ie 192...:8989)and assign it to a web address ie test.com/torrents.

• OujiOuji Member

@james50a said: tutorial id like to see is on how to take a port # (ie 192...:8989)and assign it to a web address ie test.com/torrents.

Also known as how to set up a reverse proxy.

• @raindog308 said:

@jlay said: A really good '200 level' course I think would be something like Ansible.

Ha, I just did a class today on Ansible as well LOL

Two different audiences...bash is for a team that has no real sense of scripting. I argued that they may way to learn python or something like that instead but yadda yadda they wanted bash.

Python versions and pip install environment shit might be a bad first impression of Python. Bash is everywhere, and when it isn't, the user walks away blaming dash or something else, not bash.

Unless you started off with "this is the one and only proper fucking way to install and use python", I'd prefer bash, as well.

• @emg said:
    Rather than writing yet another tutorial, I would like to see a well-organized index of "best in class" webpage and website tutorials that already exist.

You might have heard of it, called Google.

@TimboJones said: Python versions and pip install environment shit might be a bad first impression of Python. Bash is everywhere, and when it isn't, the user walks away blaming dash or something else, not bash.

I think every distro we use at work includes at least Python 2.7 (and maybe 3 with later ones). But yes, you can end up with a ton of dependencies, depending on what you're doing. Well, at least it's not node. Or for that matter, perl, where half the time your CPAN installs are compiling things.

Did I mention we also use Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX?

I don't work with developers - mostly SAs and DBAs, so our needs are more administrative. But even there, you've got to manage inventory, do a lot of fleet management (we have thousands of database installs), work with APIs, etc. so we're constantly creeping into software-writing territory.

I prefer perl or python just because bash gets clunky when you work with data, though bash 4 is easier. Python is fine but it's always multiple lines to do a simple regex or run an OS process or something...I was spoiled by perl.

Thanked by 2TimboJones Pwner
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@emg said:
    Rather than writing yet another tutorial, I would like to see a well-organized index of "best in class" webpage and website tutorials that already exist. Building that index would:

• Help newbies get started with VPSs and hosting.
    • Provide guides and recommendations for best-in-class security, maintenance, backups, and other essential activities.
    • Help more experienced members find the "good stuff" to guide them through challenging procedures and activities.
    • Enable members to be more self-reliant.
    • Help identify holes where a newly written tutorial would do the most good.

Excellent idea.

@raindog308 what do you think is the best way we could go about doing this?