Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Pro license at $39.99 until end of June 2020 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 Pro license at $39.99 until end of June 2020

2»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@debaser said:
    This is probably real, just do a little research on who’s behind a website.

> PC World is a global computer magazine published monthly by IDG. Since 2013, it has been an online only publication.

and

> International Data Group, Inc. (IDG) is a [...] media, events and research company focused on the tech landscape.[1] Founded in 1964 by Patrick Joseph McGovern in Newtonville, Massachusetts, the organization is made up of International Data Corporation (IDC) and IDG Communications, which includes the CIO, Computerworld, PCWorld, Macworld, InfoWorld, and JavaWorld brands.

They’ve got nothing to win by selling fake licenses.

It says a lot about brands like PCWorld that even users of a tech related forum don’t recognize it.

Agreed about hwo far they've fallen. I used to get their magazines monthly to my house. Times have changed...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Dylan said: Back when people bought paper magazines

I...still buy paper magazines...

@raindog308 said:

What's that like?

• I found this interesting precisely because it said retail key.

OEM keys are all over my old hardware : Thinkpads, cheap netbooks.

• @plumberg said:
    How does one validate the provided key if genuine or not (apart from activations which would happen atleast once). Is there any portal for keys validation from ms? Thanks

Nobody's really concerned whether the key will activate, it will, just whether it is a lawful license key being purchased. (Tip: it's not)

• ebay is cheaper that what pcworld is offering! Plus buying from trusted seller on ebay is peace of mind!

• hzrhzr Member

PC World has generally nothing to do with this seller other than they have a subdomain, it's one of those horrid "white label make affiliate money" webshops that major brands keep putting up, like coupons.cnn.com.

Thanked by 2vimalware rtsh
  • DylanDylan Member

@hzr said: PC World has generally nothing to do with this seller other than they have a subdomain, it's one of those horrid "white label make affiliate money" webshops that major brands keep putting up, like coupons.cnn.com.

If you want to take PC World out of the picture entirely, Cleverbridge is pretty reputable too. I've bought a lot of software from developers that use them to power their own stores over the years (Parallels, Acronis, Malwarebytes). They're just like a Digital River.

• live chat on the shop site confirmed to me that licence is transferable, meaning you can transfer it from old to new PC

• @TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:
    How does one validate the provided key if genuine or not (apart from activations which would happen atleast once). Is there any portal for keys validation from ms? Thanks

Nobody's really concerned whether the key will activate, it will, just whether it is a lawful license key being purchased. (Tip: it's not)

Yeh, I too said the same. Just was curious if there is as any way to check it directly from Microsoft for legitness.

Thnx

• Linux Mint is free forever. Just saying. :|

Thanked by 2poisson default
  • mrTommrTom Member

i also used to buy those cheap ebay licenses, and thougt they were all right because i was able to activate them without issues - until one of them actually was revoked by microsoft.

One day a message popped up, saying that the operating system is not properly licensed and that the system will stop working in a couple of days, unless I enter a new key.

i had another key available, so that was easy to fix, but the money was gone and the seller had left ebay long before this happened.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

What about ones sold at Bonanza.com?

• hzrhzr Member

@LittleCreek said: What about ones sold at Bonanza.com?

Same scam garbage. Not legit.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited June 2020

@jbiloh said:

@raindog308 said:

What's that like?

Less biased/crazed than the alternative, I imagine (extending this somewhat to newspapers)

@jbiloh said: What's that like?

It's great - there are no reader comments and the ads are easier to skip :-) Fast-loading, too.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Pay for Windows 10? Just run it without a license.

I don't even notice the 'Activate Windows' watermark anymore. The only thing you can't do is change the wallpaper and a few customization options. Don't even get nagged for running unlicensed and you still get all of the security patches.

If those bug you, pay $4-5 on ebay for an OEM license key and call it a day.

@Harambe said: I don't even notice the 'Activate Windows' watermark anymore. The only thing you can't do is change the wallpaper and a few customization options. Don't even get nagged for running unlicensed and you still get all of the security patches.

Actually, you can get around both of these things.

https://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10

Poor Microsoft. All their competition (Mac, Linux) gives the OS away for free but they just can't give up the revenue, but they also know they can't really sell it but they can't give up the revenue but they can't sell it...so their solution is to provide it in a non-crippled but still-kinda-crippled but not really crippled version. And you can undo the non-cripplings without paying. But revenue.

@raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said: What's that like?

It's great - there are no reader comments and the ads are easier to skip :-) Fast-loading, too.

There is something majestic about turning the pages, I suppose.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @raindog308 said:

This one (in Serbocroatian) has been running monthly since 1984. Bought almost every single issue since 1990. 30 years now. It's still good, informative and fun to read:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Harambe said:
    Pay for Windows 10? Just run it without a license.

I don't even notice the 'Activate Windows' watermark anymore. The only thing you can't do is change the wallpaper and a few customization options. Don't even get nagged for running unlicensed and you still get all of the security patches.

If those bug you, pay $4-5 on ebay for an OEM license key and call it a day.

Windows Pro is a different product.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Linux Mint is free forever. Just saying. :|

FreeBSD is also free and open-source, but people want to pay for their operating system while also being monitored by different agencies. I totally respect people's opinion, because it's their money, and their opinion, and I am in no position to even comment about other people's way of life; so let's let them buy Windows and increase those fat accounts of various corporations.

To keep-up on the derailing note: Linux Mint 20 stable should appear in a few weeks. I can't wait either.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • xkeyxkey Member

Windows is still needed, doesn't matter how smart the techies are. Damn, I paid extra $75 for my PC just to get pro version.

• @xkey said:
    Windows is still needed, doesn't matter how smart the techies are. Damn, I paid extra $75 for my PC just to get pro version.

Haven't 'needed' it since I quit AAA titles for 6yrs. Plenty of indie games on steam/Linux to occupy a casual gamer.

• LeviLevi Member

That's pretty expensive. From g2a.com I had bought my Win 10 pro for 7.99. Spinning 4 years as I recall.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@mrTom said:
    i also used to buy those cheap ebay licenses, and thougt they were all right because i was able to activate them without issues - until one of them actually was revoked by microsoft.

One day a message popped up, saying that the operating system is not properly licensed and that the system will stop working in a couple of days, unless I enter a new key.

i had another key available, so that was easy to fix, but the money was gone and the seller had left ebay long before this happened.

I mean at those prices you can afford to just get a new one.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@LTniger said:
    That's pretty expensive. From g2a.com I had bought my Win 10 pro for 7.99. Spinning 4 years as I recall.

The gf bought a Malwarebytes Premium 4000 days license a while ago for some 9€ on G2A. Also going strong. The owner is some .ru Mail but you dont need to login to the panel anyway.

• @raindog308 said:

@Harambe said: I don't even notice the 'Activate Windows' watermark anymore. The only thing you can't do is change the wallpaper and a few customization options. Don't even get nagged for running unlicensed and you still get all of the security patches.

Actually, you can get around both of these things.

https://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10

Poor Microsoft. All their competition (Mac, Linux) gives the OS away for free but they just can't give up the revenue, but they also know they can't really sell it but they can't give up the revenue but they can't sell it...so their solution is to provide it in a non-crippled but still-kinda-crippled but not really crippled version. And you can undo the non-cripplings without paying. But revenue.

Moooooom, hes doing it again

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited June 2020

Same site also has the Home version for $10 less: https://software.pcworld.com/p36881-windows_10_home

• @LTniger said:

Can't get that price anymore, although it seems like they are still pretty competitive.