Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Pro license at $39.99 until end of June 2020
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 Pro license at $39.99 until end of June 2020

PCWorld is offering a good deal on a Windows 10 Pro license if you need one. This is a full retail Windows 10 Pro license going at $39.99 until end of the month. Link here: https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

Note that the default currency seems to GBP. Change it to USD at the top right. Hope this deal can benefit some people.

Comments

• jlayjlay Member

Trying to snag a couple, figured I won't see them this cheap for a while - waiting on manual review

• you can buy a license on ebay for like $5, they are corporate I believe and can be cancelled at any time. I have never had any cancellations though.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2020

Well, does not look like OEM, means Support included.

I never really needed microsoft support, so I am fine with the above mentioned, sticker removed from someones dumpster pc and resold on ebay.

Never had one of these cheap ebay ones revoked so.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @JohnFilch123 said: you can buy a license on ebay for like $5, they are corporate I believe and can be cancelled at any time. I have never had any cancellations though.

Please don't ever buy these. Rather go and pirate it in any other way. You're supporting fraud if you buy those licenses.

• They have a very bad review https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.pcworld.co.uk

The real question is, why I should buy Windows 10 Pro license? I could install Windows 10 Pro with no product key & no crack and still able to use all features - only limited to professionalization part.

Thanked by 2vpsGOD serversHQ
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Just buy one off Ebay for 3-4$ if you're in the EU? Basically the same thing.

• jhjh Member

@athensguy said:
    They have a very bad review https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.pcworld.co.uk

The real question is, why I should buy Windows 10 Pro license? I could install Windows 10 Pro with no product key & no crack and still able to use all features - only limited to professionalization part.

pcworld.com is nothing to do with pcworld.co.uk AFAIK

• is this transferable licence, meaning you can install on any new pc once you drop old one you previously installed it?

and btw hello from new member, but was reading for years already :)

Thanked by 2CConner plumberg
  • @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@JohnFilch123 said: you can buy a license on ebay for like $5, they are corporate I believe and can be cancelled at any time. I have never had any cancellations though.

Please don't ever buy these. Rather go and pirate it in any other way. You're supporting fraud if you buy those licenses.

You can use windows 7 pro key to install windows 10 pro and activate it. Windows 7 key can be found on dead PCs or old systems not use able. Don't know if this is allowed by the ToS of MS.

Thanked by 2that_guy vimalware
  • HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

How can they sell it for such a low. I would rather risk 2$ on ebay key instead of this random provider.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

This site very recently touted the benefits of grey market keys.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400840/how-to-get-windows-10-cheap-or-even-for-free.html

If these keys aren't grey market and don't have any significant limitations (e.g. can be used to upgrade an existing licenced machine to pro, can be switched to another machine), this is quite an interesting deal. I've spotted my next personal laptop (ASUS TUF A15 RTX) if my current one dies in the near future, but only found options to buy with a home licence. I'd want pro for hyperv and bitlocker, so would probably grab a licence just in case.

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited June 2020

"Its likely not a genuine Windows 10 key because no third party vendor apart from Amazon and Microsoft are allowed to license digital downloads.

So anyone claiming to sell keys is likely not legal.

That vendor is likely selling MSDN keys:

About MSDN Product Keys

They are genuine Microsoft product keys, they are actually retail licenses, but it is intended for a particular product channel either the Microsoft Software Developer Network (MSDN) or TechNet for IT Professionals who pay a subscription fee. The main purpose is for evaluation purposes. The great thing about them, unlike trial Microsoft software, MSDN or TechNet keys don't expire. Because the agreement under which the subscription is provided is a single license, none of the software should be distributed outside of it. Even though its $50,000 worth of licenses, it is for one person only to use and no one else. Unfortunately, regardless of the licensing terms, persons still abuse the program, either giveaway product keys or resell it on auction sites. Microsoft licenses it in good faith that customers won't do so, but I guess human nature wins out.

In your case, what probably happened is, you bought an MSDN licensed key, which carries up to 10 activations unlike full packaged retail licenses which only carry 1 activation. The person who sold it to you probably sold it to 10 other persons. Somewhere along the way, one of those persons might have installed it on a second system, activated it, because it went past 10 activation threshold, Microsoft detected it that it was being abused and blocked the key from further use."

(edited from desktop)

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • You can buy these exact same keys on eBay for $0.99.

• How is this allowed on LET? This is exactly the same as the dodgy enterprise keys you get from eBay for $1, it's not a retail license. @poisson where do you see this is retail license?

I bet two people buying these licenses will get the same key and can activate it on dozens or machines.

• alvinalvin Member

I think this is the same type as the key sold by eBay seller..

• This is probably real, just do a little research on who’s behind a website.

PC World is a global computer magazine published monthly by IDG. Since 2013, it has been an online only publication.

and

International Data Group, Inc. (IDG) is a [...] media, events and research company focused on the tech landscape.[1] Founded in 1964 by Patrick Joseph McGovern in Newtonville, Massachusetts, the organization is made up of International Data Corporation (IDC) and IDG Communications, which includes the CIO, Computerworld, PCWorld, Macworld, InfoWorld, and JavaWorld brands.

They’ve got nothing to win by selling fake licenses.

It says a lot about brands like PCWorld that even users of a tech related forum don’t recognize it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • pbxpbx Member

@debaser said: They’ve got nothing to win by selling fake licenses.

Cheap ebay licenses aren't fake neither. More university / huge accounts stuff.

Not sure what kind of license PC World sells though. Could they have a deal with M$?

• From what I think these are (I could be wrong, but don't think I am), they are given unlimited windows keys for a monthly fee. The only catch is they are not allowed to resell them. I have never actually seen a key revoked before, so I think it's very unlikely to get your key disabled. $40 sounds like a major rip off though since they get these for free, check eBay or random tech forms to get one for less then $1. Again this keys are not legit, but they will work.

• @jamespeach said:
    From what I think these are (I could be wrong, but don't think I am), they are given unlimited windows keys for a monthly fee. The only catch is they are not allowed to resell them.

It would be very stupid for a major tech publisher to sell corporate windows keys. Could well be the end of IDG and all these licenses if they did that.

@pbx said:
    Could they have a deal with M$?

I think they do.

Thanked by 2vimalware pbx
  • lpnlpn Member

All of you who say that this is somehow not legit should doublecheck who the seller is.

• @lpn said: All of you who say that this is somehow not legit should doublecheck who the seller is.

It's not really about PCWorld's offer. I guess it's a good deal, but most people will still go for the ebay licenses, and they usually don't even get revoked...

I still laugh when people say they have genuine Windows and they show the price they bought it at...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@pbx said: Cheap ebay licenses aren't fake neither. More university / huge accounts stuff.

Or leftover OEM licenses. I remember years ago I bought one and it came with a PATA cable because the vendor could only legally sell it with hardware.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • How does one validate the provided key if genuine or not (apart from activations which would happen atleast once). Is there any portal for keys validation from ms? Thanks

edited June 2020

@debaser said:
    It says a lot about brands like PCWorld that even users of a tech related forum don’t recognize it.

It doesn't help that they picked the brand name of a very well known UK store, despite being completely unrelated. Not a good choice.

• @jackb said:

@debaser said:

It doesn't help that they picked the brand name of a very well known UK store, despite being completely unrelated. Not a good choice.

In a non-linear timeline this would make sense. However, my timeline is linear. These are the years they were established:

PCWorld, the magazine: 1983
    PCWorld, the UK retailer: 1991

Thanked by 2jackb Dylan
    edited June 2020

@debaser said:
    PCWorld, the magazine: 1983
    PCWorld, the UK retailer: 1991

I missed that when trying to find out who they were.

• I used to work for IDG, a long time ago however. For one of the European counterparts of PCWorld.

• tjol5tjol5 Member

https://slickdeals.net/f/14119781-windows-10-professional-retail-not-upgrade-or-oem-39-pcworld-store?page=2

per Groch. if you add W10 Home ($30) to cart, it'll offer you to upgrade to W10 Pro for $35.

plus newsletter email for another 10% off

• DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2020

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3562330/exclusive-deal-get-windows-10-pro-for-39-99-thats-80-off-retail.html
    This offer is for a Microsoft-licensed retail version of Windows 10 Pro, and not an OEM version.

And PCWorld is definitely legit. Back when people bought paper magazines, it and competitor PC Magazine were the biggest and most influential tech news sources out there.