Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arubacloud Refugee Thread - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Arubacloud Refugee Thread

1235»

Comments

• @default said:

@RedSox said:
    Monster bench -eu please? YABS?

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-02-10                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Fri 05 Jun 2020 09:41:15 PM UTC

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Common KVM processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2699.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 2.0Gi
    Swap       : 0B
    Disk       : 20G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4kb           (IOPS) | 64kb          (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 52.23 MB/s   (13.0k) | 551.59 MB/s   (8.6k)
    Write      | 52.31 MB/s   (13.0k) | 554.49 MB/s   (8.6k)
    Total      | 104.55 MB/s  (26.1k) | 1.10 GB/s    (17.2k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512kb         (IOPS) | 1mb           (IOPS)
      ------   | -----          ----  | ---            ----
    Read       | 754.10 MB/s   (1.4k) | 788.48 MB/s    (770)
    Write      | 794.17 MB/s   (1.5k) | 841.00 MB/s    (821)
    Total      | 1.54 GB/s     (3.0k) | 1.62 GB/s     (1.5k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 103 Mbits/sec   | 100 Mbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 103 Mbits/sec   | 100 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 103 Mbits/sec   | 99.8 Mbits/sec
    wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 103 Mbits/sec   | 100 Mbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 92.5 Mbits/sec  | 80.5 Mbits/sec
    Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 102 Mbits/sec   | 99.3 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 96.1 Mbits/sec  | 97.2 Mbits/sec
    Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 97.2 Mbits/sec  | 93.0 Mbits/sec
    Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 88.2 Mbits/sec  | busy

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 646
    Multi Core      | 670
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2422337

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     OS           : Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (64 Bit)
     Virt/Kernel  : VMware / 4.15.0-101-generic
     CPU Model    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5119T CPU @ 1.90GHz
     CPU Cores    : 1 @ 1895.547 MHz x86_64 19712 KB Cache
     CPU Flags    : AES-NI Enabled & VM-x/AMD-V Disabled
     Load Average : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
     Total Space  : 19G (13G ~71% used)
     Total RAM    : 985 MB (185 MB + 603 MB Buff in use)
     Total SWAP   : 951 MB (125 MB in use)
     Uptime       : 10 days 20:51
     ASN & ISP    : AS31034, Aruba S.p.A.
     Organization : Aruba S.p.A. - Cloud Services
     Location     : Arezzo, Italy / IT
     Region       : Tuscany

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 2768  (GOOD)
       Multi Core : 2665

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
        bzip2     :  81.9 MB/s
       sha256     : 138 MB/s
       md5sum     : 367 MB/s

RAM Speed:
       Avg. write : 2491.7 MB/s
       Avg. read  : 4505.6 MB/s

Disk Speed:
       1st run    : 914 MB/s
       2nd run    : 935 MB/s
       3rd run    : 970 MB/s
       -----------------------
       Average    : 939.7 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location                       Upload           Download         Ping
     Speedtest.net                  778.77 Mbit/s    925.46 Mbit/s    1.239 ms
     France, Lyon (SFR)             450.85 Mbit/s    301.95 Mbit/s    30.131 ms
     Italy, Rome (Unidata)          752.07 Mbit/s    853.74 Mbit/s     3.843 ms

Finished in : 4 min 18 sec
     Timestamp   : 2020-06-11 01:10:19 GMT
     Saved in    : /root/speedtest.log

Share results:
     - https://www.speedtest.net/result/9585565950.png
     - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15555525
     - https://clbin.com/xj1LT

The results pretty neat with aruba... Really. I will stay on it. It's decent performance.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@desperand - that benchmark was requested for Server.it provider, which currently has a promotion, offering VPS at €1/month in Italy.

Regarding Aruba - I already canceled all my services. They accepted to do refunds of remaining credit. I did this by opening a ticket towards "Right to Cancel" department. and support staff replied, and refunded, after ~4 days. I was also considering the alternative of spending any remaining credit on domain transfers.

Meanwhile, I am still open to other offers for idling VPS.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@Dazzle - indeed, that offer from @Serverum costs just $1/month, but it offers only 10mbps (1.25mb/s) bandwidth.

• edited June 2020

server.it has been mentioned earlier in this thread. If you are going to use them, beware that they selectively filter certain traffic. The one that I encountered was with NTP. Only a selection of NTP servers are allowed through. time.apple.com, time.windows.com, time.facebook.com, and most of pool.ntp.org are blocked. They insist on time.ien.it being used.

Their support is as good as none. First, they denied having a problem. Next, they insisted that it is the customer's problem. When it is demonstrated that it is a problem seen also with a freshly imaged VM, and thus if it is a VM problem, it must be their faulty image, they again denied having a problem. Upon suggestion that they check with their upstream, they replied that it is a promo product! They subsequently responded that they already know of the problem!

So be aware of what you would be dealing with ...

Thanked by 2tetech arda
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2020

@brightsunshine said:
    server.it has been mentioned earlier in this thread. If you are going to use them, beware that they selectively filter certain traffic. The one that I encountered was with NTP. Only a selection of NTP servers are allowed through. time.apple.com, time.windows.com, time.facebook.com, and most of pool.ntp.org are blocked. They insist on time.ien.it being used.

Their support is as good as none. First, they denied having a problem. Next, they insisted that it is the customer's problem. When it is demonstrated that it is a problem seen also with a freshly imaged VM, and thus if it is a VM problem, it must be their faulty image, they again denied having a problem. Upon suggestion that they check with their upstream, they replied that it is a promo product! They subsequently responded that they already know of the problem!

So be aware of what you would be dealing with ...

Thank you for the feedback. To me, your experience seems like they use outsource support.

• @default
    It is not entirely evident that server.it is using outsourced support.

Regarding the first point, I did not see anywhere indicating that traffic may be filtered. I may have missed it, of course.

Second, the behavior saying that it's the customer's problem when finally it is admitted to be their known problem, and then refusing to fix it, has also been observed with a certain large French hoster which has in-house support. Regardless, in-house or outsourced support is no excuse for such level of performance.

• Guys, you'll never believe who just posted a cray cray offer.

Hint: my sig

• defaultdefault Veteran

The reference is for: https://vpsdime.com/onedollar

1 vCPU
    1GB Fully Dedicated Memory
    10GB Storage (Enterprise grade SSDs in RAID10)
    1TB Traffic Limit
    1Gbps Uplink
    1 Public IP Address
    Optional IPv6 Address
    Virtuozzo 7 Based (TL&DR: Supports Docker)
    2N Power Redundancy
    Highly Optimized Premium Network (Level3, GTT, NTT, Telia, Cogent)
    72 Hour Money Back Guarantee

Thanked by 1479555
  • ardaarda Member

That offer though:

LOL@regional banning.

• tetechtetech Member

I don't think an OVZ7 VPS in the US should be considered a suitable replacement for VMWare in EU. Just my view.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2020

Still a great deal for Central US and all of South/Central American continent (annual $7/yr)

I've got dokku running on it. 4.15 kernel is nice.
    I've had it since 2014.

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited June 2020

@arda said: That offer though:

\

LOL@regional banning.

Better stay away from Turkish Customers.

• ardaarda Member
    edited June 2020

@emre said:

Better stay away from Turkish Customers.

I'm a completely legit and non public_tor-public_vpn-miner-spammer-torrenter-whatever_illegal user, I have a personal, non-public VPN and Socks proxy to unblock US tv or some banned sites etc, and have some NodeJS personal daemons running on the machine, mostly idle. Why would anyone be stay away from my business?

• ardaarda Member

Apparently, VPSDime returned to me, and they mentioned that limitation about Turkey is regarding the payment gateway, and there's not an actual ban in the first place. I quite understand the situation if it's like that, and will do business in the first place.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

What were they offering, 1GB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20GB disk, 2TB for 1 Euro per month? Any specific limitations? How is their AUP? Did they give that core as a dedicated core? They mention Windows being available somewhere, did they actually allow people to instlal that/licensed at the same cost? I see it marked as Linux here so maybe it's Linux only and if that's the case, that's a plus. What payment methods? Did they add in any fees for payment processing? I do see there's a minimum top-up of 10 Euros to start, anything else? Any specific features? Gigabit? Anything else useful to know? Any quantity limit per person?

I think if we do it on a mass scale, we could maybe get close in Amsterdam with a pre-order. Something like crowdfunding, and there would have to be a quick way to verify. Something like $13.44 per year instead of the 10 Euro deposit and 1 Euro per month (right now $13.44 USD is 12 Euros.)

For this to work we would have to get something like a few thousand people commit to it and pay via a method that actually refunds fees to us if we refund (or take refund to store credit if it falls through) and we'd have to prevent every person from making a bunch of tickets and contacting us about it somehow.

Of course, with CC involved, I'm not sure if we could roll them out by the 1st of August (which sucks by the way, that they only gave that much notice for such a high increase.) But I might, and this is a big might, be able to get CC to even do IPv6 for it. I noticed that they may actually already have IPv6 available but disabled to avoid dealing with it logistically maybe?

Anyway, I just want to help. Let me know what you guys think and get back to me with as much information as possible. Consider this all a 20% possibility.

Early warning: I didn't read every comment in this thread so I apologize if that causes me to look stupid, I just skimmed through it.

• @VirMach said: What were they offering, 1GB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20GB disk, 2TB for 1 Euro per month? Any specific limitations? How is their AUP? Did they give that core as a dedicated core? They mention Windows being available somewhere, did they actually allow people to instlal that/licensed at the same cost? I see it marked as Linux here so maybe it's Linux only and if that's the case, that's a plus. What payment methods? Did they add in any fees for payment processing? I do see there's a minimum top-up of 10 Euros to start, anything else? Any specific features? Gigabit? Anything else useful to know? Any quantity limit per person?

I'm not sure about most of the spec, but as far as I'm aware, Arubacloud had been offering:
    1gb ram
    1 vCPU (Not dedicated)
    2TB Bandwidth
    20gb Disk
    1 Dedicated IPv4
    for 1 euro/month.

If I'm not mistaking, it was a 1gbps network. The biggest part of the offer was just the locations, which were very good for a very low price. They also use VMWare, which is quite nice.

• tetechtetech Member

@VirMach said:
    What were they offering, 1GB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20GB disk, 2TB for 1 Euro per month?

Yes. Claimed to have some type of DDOS protection. 1 IPv4 plus IPv6 :smiley:

Any specific limitations? How is their AUP? Did they give that core as a dedicated core? They mention Windows being available somewhere, did they actually allow people to instlal that/licensed at the same cost? I see it marked as Linux here so maybe it's Linux only and if that's the case, that's a plus. What payment methods?

I can't speak to AUP as I wasn't pushing the limits. I can say that SMTP ports are open. Core is not dedicated, but resources are not crippled like VirMach "KVM Lite" (i.e. reasonable IOPS and CPU use is OK). No Windows on that plan (1GB).

Did they add in any fees for payment processing? I do see there's a minimum top-up of 10 Euros to start, anything else? Any specific features? Gigabit? Anything else useful to know? Any quantity limit per person?

No payment processing fee. Payment CC and PayPal. No quantity limit at the time, although they obviously closed off new orders ages ago. Top-up is 10 Euro minimum, but note that this is per account, not per VM, so if you have 3xVPS for 3 Euro per month total you still only need to top up 10 Euro or ~3 months in advance.

• tetechtetech Member
    edited June 2020

@VirMach said: I think if we do it on a mass scale, we could maybe get close in Amsterdam with a pre-order. Something like crowdfunding, and there would have to be a quick way to verify. Something like $13.44 per year instead of the 10 Euro deposit and 1 Euro per month (right now $13.44 USD is 12 Euros.)

I don't really care about pre-paying for a year at those prices. Payment method is not the issue (for me). The main thing for me was that Aruba were exceptionally solid and really low ping times on their network.

The other challenge you might face is that Aruba were dispersed across Europe, e.g. DC in London, Frankfurt, Arezzo, ... and you'd be asking at least a reasonable number of people to consolidate in Amsterdam.

Personally Amsterdam is fine with me and if you could get a setup as solid & reliable as theirs without the crippled resource limits (your "KVM Lite" IOPS kills me), I'd be in at 12 Euro/year.

Aruba's support (in my experience) is totally abysmal, so I don't think there is a high bar to beat on that.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Virmach - Thank you for trying to recreate this offer. I also think it will be interesting to get this from you.

• @Virmach offering something similar as Aruba and even in Amsterdam would be a dream :D

• AmirGTAmirGT Member

Found €1 server but IPv6 only
    https://pcextreme.nl/cloud-servers

Thanked by 1Tripleflix
  • @VirMach said: But I might, and this is a big might, be able to get CC to even do IPv6 for it.

Might not. No. Just no. A big no.

Thanked by 1zenki
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2020

@arda said:
    Apparently, VPSDime returned to me, and they mentioned that limitation about Turkey is regarding the payment gateway, and there's not an actual ban in the first place. I quite understand the situation if it's like that, and will do business in the first place.

Yeah I think it's safe to say they're not actually anti-Turkish given that the owner (Oktay) is Turkish and the company was originally registered in Istanbul.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@VirMach said:
    What were they offering, 1GB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20GB disk, 2TB for 1 Euro per month? Any specific limitations? How is their AUP? Did they give that core as a dedicated core? They mention Windows being available somewhere, did they actually allow people to instlal that/licensed at the same cost? I see it marked as Linux here so maybe it's Linux only and if that's the case, that's a plus. What payment methods? Did they add in any fees for payment processing? I do see there's a minimum top-up of 10 Euros to start, anything else? Any specific features? Gigabit? Anything else useful to know? Any quantity limit per person?

I think if we do it on a mass scale, we could maybe get close in Amsterdam with a pre-order. Something like crowdfunding, and there would have to be a quick way to verify. Something like $13.44 per year instead of the 10 Euro deposit and 1 Euro per month (right now $13.44 USD is 12 Euros.)

For this to work we would have to get something like a few thousand people commit to it and pay via a method that actually refunds fees to us if we refund (or take refund to store credit if it falls through) and we'd have to prevent every person from making a bunch of tickets and contacting us about it somehow.

Of course, with CC involved, I'm not sure if we could roll them out by the 1st of August (which sucks by the way, that they only gave that much notice for such a high increase.) But I might, and this is a big might, be able to get CC to even do IPv6 for it. I noticed that they may actually already have IPv6 available but disabled to avoid dealing with it logistically maybe?

Anyway, I just want to help. Let me know what you guys think and get back to me with as much information as possible. Consider this all a 20% possibility.

Early warning: I didn't read every comment in this thread so I apologize if that causes me to look stupid, I just skimmed through it.

Maybe it might be possible to make it Cryptocurrency and/or AliPay only with no refunds, no support, and no SLA.

Basically “buy at your own risk”. And maybe top it up to US$14/yr just for a round number (and to maybe cover the small processing fees your payment gateway will charge).

I didn’t use Aruba but seriously hoping people will be able to find a a new home, especially with Virmach!

• 479555479555 Member

@default said:
    The reference is for: https://vpsdime.com/onedollar

1 vCPU
    1GB Fully Dedicated Memory
    10GB Storage (Enterprise grade SSDs in RAID10)
    1TB Traffic Limit
    1Gbps Uplink
    1 Public IP Address
    Optional IPv6 Address
    Virtuozzo 7 Based (TL&DR: Supports Docker)
    2N Power Redundancy
    Highly Optimized Premium Network (Level3, GTT, NTT, Telia, Cogent)
    72 Hour Money Back Guarantee

I got one, thanks for the tip!

• 479555479555 Member

@default said:
    In another LET thread, I found an offer from Server.it, where they offer €1/month VPS with 2GB RAM for the first year. Even though it's not recurring, an offer like this is good for migrating data away from Aruba, especially considering datacenter location: Italy.

Link: https://www.server.it/vps-promo

Got this one as well :P

Thanked by 1chedenaz