Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an inexpensive and reliable option to run a Ghost Blog - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for an inexpensive and reliable option to run a Ghost Blog

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member

@raindog308 said:

RoboCain said: Do you know why they are like that? Sucks that their Pro service is so pricey,

That ghost.org domain name didn't come cheap.

Ghost is ridiculous. Node.js just to run a blog, too hipster to run in common-man shared hosting.

You have issue with the cool kids?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

RoboCain said: Do you know why they are like that? Sucks that their Pro service is so pricey,

That ghost.org domain name didn't come cheap.

Ghost is ridiculous. Node.js just to run a blog, too hipster to run in common-man shared hosting.

And I thought @raindog308 was a hipster. Oh how wrong was I :joy:

vyas11 said: Points 3 and 11 noted.
    I will merely replace centos with debain if One may...

Errr am I high on bamboo or did I imagine point 11? :D

Oh and you may not. CentOS is the only way forward.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Jord said: CentOS is the only way forward.

You are dead to me.

Funny, just did a CentOS box last night because I was following a recipe to install something and was amazed at how much more painful it was.

• selinux on by default
      • mariadb config is goofy and poorly documented (while Debian's is documented in the config files themselves for immediate reference)
    • firewalld being different just to be different
    • yum...er wait now it's dnf...is so...much...slower...than...apt...

etc.

Thanked by 1Jord

Jord said: And I thought @raindog308 was a hipster.

I think both Wordpress and Ghost are far too common to be hip. Probably have to use MovableType or something to qualify.

Or Myspace.

edited May 2020

raindog308 said: You are dead to me.

Wow just wow :D

CentOS is prem, selinux is also gut sir (enter sarcasm here) :joy:

Firewalld is the way forward, so simple to use.

Yum is the tits, dnf is shit.

Oh and did I mention that CentOS is the only way forward sir?

Am I even more dead to you now?

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited May 2020

....and thus began the Mod Wars

———

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:
    You can install ghost on almost all offers here. However they are unmanaged. You have to setup nodejs and everything including mysql. You can ask nexusbytes if there is an easy way.

Installing and initial setup wont be your hardest obstacle. Yes, there is a learning curve. Maintenance will be your worry.

Managed nodejs server is hard to find or expensive.

I think softaculous does not support ghost blog anymore.

So i think your best bet if you want to go cheaper route is to learn how to manage a nodejs server.

In contrary Wordpress and the other PHP based CMS's can be pretty much left unmanaged right? I wonder why Ghost is so complicated.

Ghost uses nodejs. Its a different system. You still have to manage php servers, else you get hack when you dont update systems.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. :)

I also suggest you to try cloudjiffy by leapswitch. You can do the one click installs. And scale when needed. Their support is fast too. Give it a try.

It looks interesting, but I'm not sure what to select? From 1 to 6.

Where do you see 1 to 6 ? Please signup on https://app.cloudjiffy.com , login and go to Marketplace > Ghost > Select Region > Install. ( Ignore the homepage options as you are not doing a custom install )

Jord said: Am I even more dead to you now?

Yes. I have to deal with lame corporate RHEL at work. I won't have it polluting my private life! Debian or OpenBSD only for me.

vyas11 said: ....and thus began the Mod Wars

"Debian. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy and random as CentOS; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

• seriesnseriesn Member

Jord said: Yum is the tits, dnf is shit.

>

Who are you creature?

Thanked by 1Jord
  • My Ghost Blog:

Ghosts aren't real.

• RoboCainRoboCain Member
    edited May 2020

So I'm just going to launch a VPS and install ghost and get it over with.

Any guides on how to self manage a Node.JS server? :)

edited May 2020

I was thinking. All this hosting and database talk got me interested in learning how to code.

It seems like a nice hobby. I guess is time to stop watching reruns of Robocop and drinking $7 dollar lattes, and start learning how to do nerd stuff.

No more hipster life for me.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:
    You can install ghost on almost all offers here. However they are unmanaged. You have to setup nodejs and everything including mysql. You can ask nexusbytes if there is an easy way.

Installing and initial setup wont be your hardest obstacle. Yes, there is a learning curve. Maintenance will be your worry.

So i think your best bet if you want to go cheaper route is to learn how to manage a nodejs server.

In contrary Wordpress and the other PHP based CMS's can be pretty much left unmanaged right? I wonder why Ghost is so complicated.

Ghost uses nodejs. Its a different system. You still have to manage php servers, else you get hack when you dont update systems.

I also suggest you to try cloudjiffy by leapswitch. You can do the one click installs. And scale when needed. Their support is fast too. Give it a try.

Their support maybe fast. But L1 support is super annoying. First thing of their respond is there is nothing wrong with the system. Even tough I clearly send a screenshot with the error in the system, such as the node stuck at stopping / starting for hours.

There is one time I am very mad at their support and telling them to stop wasting both our time and escalate the ticket 😂

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@yokowasis said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

Their support maybe fast. But L1 support is super annoying. First thing of their respond is there is nothing wrong with the system. Even tough I clearly send a screenshot with the error in the system, such as the node stuck at stopping / starting for hours.

There is one time I am very mad at their support and telling them to stop wasting both our time and escalate the ticket 😂

Havent encountered that issue before, as im using now lxd/lxc.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@RoboCain said:

Theres really no easy way for you to do this. Almost all offers here are unmanaged, it means you are on your own. No way to learn everything by reading a single post or article. Therr are lots to read and explore, lots to try. It takes time. But then once you learn stuffs, you can enjoy even the $1 vps here.

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited May 2020

@cazrz said:

@yokowasis said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

Havent encountered that issue before, as im using now lxd/lxc.

I have pretty complicated setup. Imagine hosting multiple websites on 1 environment and that environment refused to start. All of your websites going down and you are at your provider mercy for fixing it. And as I said earlier, their support response is just "our system is normal", I should wait for the process to finish. Even tough clearly starting environment should just took a few minutes TOP.

Now, I just creating multiple environments, and backing up the environment regularly. So when 1 environment failed to start I just need to start my backup environment.

It happens multiple times in the past. The last incident (hdd is very slow on processing stuff), their support suggesting clone the environment and delete the old one, and it works.

If you go for cloud jiffy, you really should have multiple environments as backup. You don't know when shit happens. Because sometime shit just happened even though the support says not.

If OP decided to go with Leapswitch / cloud jiffy, understand that even though they technically have 1 click installer, you still need to manage a server. What to do when your server down. Because It's not as simple as increasing the node count. It never is.

Credit where credit is due. Their L3 support is great, clearly understand how thing works, and when there is a problem, they admit it, fix it, and explain why it happened, and forward the problem to the jelastic team.

Tagging @leapswitch so they can improve the support.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@yokowasis
    The issue you faced was very peculiar and took some time to diagnose.

It happened only for this case -
    An environment has a web server + mounted storage
    If the web server is Redeployed with a new web server / application server version while storage is mounted, it used to lose the mount as autofs did not start in the redeployed web server.

It is an edge case and required L3 + development team to check and fix it.

We are always checking and fixing such bugs as and when they appear. We are sorry it affected your environment at that time.

For the OP, he simply needs a Ghost blog - which is single NodeJS + MariaDB.

If you are still facing any issues with environments or support, please reach out to me via PM / email / Skype.

Ishan

• @leapswitch said:
    @yokowasis

If the web server is Redeployed with a new web server / application server version while storage is mounted, it used to lose the mount as autofs did not start in the redeployed web server.

We are always checking and fixing such bugs as and when they appear. We are sorry it affected your environment at that time.

If you are still facing any issues with environments or support, please reach out to me via PM / email / Skype.

Ishan

@leapswitch said:
    @yokowasis

Ishan

No, I totally get that. And it's fine. It's just the L1 support that keep telling me, there is no problem that annoys me.

Thanked by 1leapswitch

RoboCain said: I guess is time to stop watching reruns of Robocop and drinking $7 dollar lattes, and start learning how to do nerd stuff.

RoboCain said: No more hipster life for me.

Thanked by 2RoboCain Ouji
    edited May 2020

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

Theres really no easy way for you to do this. Almost all offers here are unmanaged, it means you are on your own. No way to learn everything by reading a single post or article. Therr are lots to read and explore, lots to try. It takes time. But then once you learn stuffs, you can enjoy even the $1 vps here.

Hey @cazrz

I ended up going with webdock.io and I like what I'm seeing right now. Not complicated, no BS, no trickery. I think it won't go poof out of nowhere, and so on. Also, provides a free SSL which is easy to implement and seems to have some nice decent scaling options for when is time to move up to the second tier. I think this might play nicely with the free version of Runcloud. Though If the buyVM's products were available I would've went with that instead. (Though it's still going to be a pain in the ass to manage this thing and I'll probably break it) - If anyone is reading this post and they want to go with Ghost for a project, just go with Themeix.com (they'll manage things for you) for Ghost blogging at $84 a year or just go Pro with Ghost and pay up the money. This whole self host a Ghost blog stuff is a time sink. But I'm knee deep already so screw it. Off I go.

Next is a storage VPS. Do you know of any providers here that have 2TB storage options that work nicely with Nextcloud? I looked into @Francisco's stuff and that looks nice, but everything is sold out except the 256GB slices. But the price point is right, and the admin panels are nice.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

Hey @cazrz

I ended up going with webdock.io and I like what I'm seeing right now. Not complicated, no BS, no trickery. I think it won't go poof out of nowhere, and so on. Also, provides a free SSL which is easy to implement and seems to have some nice decent scaling options for when is time to move up to the second tier. I think this might play nicely with the free version of Runcloud. Though If the buyVM's products were available I would've went with that instead. (Though it's still going to be a pain in the ass to manage this thing and I'll probably break it) - If anyone is reading this post and they want to go with Ghost for a project, just go with Themeix.com (they'll manage things for you) for Ghost blogging at $84 a year or just go Pro with Ghost and pay up the money. This whole self host a Ghost blog stuff is a time sink. But I'm knee deep already so screw it. Off I go.

Next is a storage VPS. Do you know of any providers here that have 2TB storage options that work nicely with Nextcloud? I looked into @Francisco's stuff and that looks nice, but everything is sold out except the 256GB slices. But the price point is right, and the admin panels are nice.

You can check out letbox.com

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163835/block-storage-local-storage-limited-offer-new-ryzen/p1

@key900

You can try a hybrid from nexusbytes

@seriesn

Will be good if you ask them first as those are unmanaged. You will need to learn mount. And manage the server.

Thanked by 2letbox seriesn
  • If you are looking to run a ghost blog, I think something like a Hostgator would do well. They have great speed and uptime.

Server location in the U.S., well yes they do have servers in the U.S. but if you personally ask me, I think to have a server near your location matters. Unless the provider has a CDN.

Also, I suggest you go for a VPS plan, I doubt of Ghost Blog runs on shared. Not sure about cloud servers either, but VPS should do the trick.

• @cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

Hey @cazrz

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163835/block-storage-local-storage-limited-offer-new-ryzen/p1

@key900

@seriesn

Will be good if you ask them first as those are unmanaged. You will need to learn mount. And manage the server.

You played around with webdock.io? Looks nice right.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

@cazrz said:

@RoboCain said:

Hey @cazrz

@key900

@seriesn

You played around with webdock.io? Looks nice right.

Nope, as we manage our own lxd/lxc. We dont install things not needed for our environment.

• @cazrz

Discipline...

I like.

edited June 2020

Shahbaazboom said: If you are looking to run a ghost blog, I think something like a Hostgator would do well. They have great speed and uptime.

Server location in the U.S., well yes they do have servers in the U.S. but if you personally ask me, I think to have a server near your location matters. Unless the provider has a CDN.

Also, I suggest you go for a VPS plan, I doubt of Ghost Blog runs on shared. Not sure about cloud servers either, but VPS should do the trick.

So your recommendation is a Hostgator VPS? They start at $20/mo for 2GB. Insane.

You're right, Ghost doesn't run on shared but it would run fine on a "cloud server" since a cloud server is just a VPS.

• @raindog308 said:

Shahbaazboom said: If you are looking to run a ghost blog, I think something like a Hostgator would do well. They have great speed and uptime.

So your recommendation is a Hostgator VPS? They start at $20/mo for 2GB. Insane.

You're right, Ghost doesn't run on shared but it would run fine on a "cloud server" since a cloud server is just a VPS.

Yeah, I threw up a little bit when I read $20 VPS King Host Gator. Lol

• I’m not sure if anyone mentioned A2 Hosting which is cheap and somewhat reliable if you have your own back ups.

Unlimited nodejs apps, unlimited space and data.
    $5/month?

https://www.a2hosting.com/nodejs-hosting

I have not tried the service.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited June 2020

https://getmidnight.com/pricing

Not exactly Low-end pricing
    But posting since relevant to the discussion