Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reseller or Managed VPS similar to BuyVM/BuyShared - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reseller or Managed VPS similar to BuyVM/BuyShared

2»

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

fisksvansen said: I'll get my hands on s test server and start investigating this and many other things. Thank you!

Enjoy! Unless specifically requested I avoice the overhead of things like cPanel/DA anyway.

fisksvansen said: After some thought this seem to be where it's leaning. Thank you for the input, it made things clearer.

The only thing to bear in mind with this approach is site migrations and IP address changes. It's fine for smaller blog sites, but if you've got anything ecommerce like just be careful not to "lose" an order/etc in the change over. If you have the ability to, dropping the TTL on the DNS settings helps massively as the DNS changes won't take long.

There's no LUX BuyVM stock showing just yet - in fact the 2gb instance has -1 stock in stock.

• cazrzcazrz Member

And most importantly. Plan your OFFSITE backup. In case you are able to manage your VPS on your own. No one can tell if your provider will go deadpool in a day notice. So being prepared will be the best.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

@fisksvansen said:

Just in case, you've not settled down yet, we surely can work something out for you.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@fisksvansen said:

@Mr_Tom said:

fisksvansen said: @Mr_Tom, what you are showing me makes me curious. It makes me think of a more "clean" environment with less distractions. Is that something similar to what it is to you?

I find it useful. It essentially keeps a clean debian install, without any overheads of GUI/web panels. You run some simple commands via SSH such as sympl create web domain.com and it'll create the directory structure, apache configs, etc. Or you can create the domain folder via FTP and wait a few minutes and the cron scripts will pickup the change and setup apache.

It's more aimed at someone who is looking after a few domains, rather than being more of a "reseller" package.

It will handle mailboxes, etc too, but you can remove any packages (dovecot, etc) if not required. It's a fork of an earlier project which was originally started by a hosting company, who since stopped developing it (mainly due to sacking their dev team after being aquired by a larger firm).

I've used it for quite a few years to assist with managing some clients servers who aren't interested in having a control panel to access themselves.

Yes, I see the usefulness of that. I think I will have some clients with no interest whatsoever in having a background panel. What you are showing me will be great for them. I'll get my hands on s test server and start investigating this and many other things. Thank you!

@seriesn said:

fisksvansen said: I was highly recommended Nexus Bytes from several people, that must mean something. What you mention about lsphp+Apache 2 makes me want to investigate. Do you have a good read about it?

Here you go my friend : ) https://www.cloudlinux.com/mod-lsapi

I could have chosen to pay $36/mo on a license or pass the savings to my user base, while keeping the servers load low. Works out decently :)

I checked your link and found information saying that there is a month to month payment term with you. Is it always like that? Yearly commitments is not a possibility?

For the promo (Free DA), we are doing it for month to months. Feel free to shoot me a pm and we can work something out :).

P.S if you are hosting your own content (VPS), Open Litespeed might be a great option too :)

Thanks for the link. You will be one of the providers I will be keeping in mind for several uses and reasons. Thank you! (And I will look at OpenLiteSpeed)

@cazrz said:
    I suggest to just get a reseller hosting package at first. Then get a VPS to play with. Once you are comfortable managing your own VPS then you can migrate the sites from your reseller account to your VPS.

After some thought this seem to be where it's leaning. Thank you for the input, it made things clearer.

Sweet! Thank you. I will bit into this as I start experimenting with VPS's.

@Francisco said:

fisksvansen said: @Francisco! At last. Thank you for the response. I will be interested in the European location. It seems you will not be adding any extra reseller stock there, is that so?

We'll have some tomorrow from cancellations but I don't expect much.

I expect a lot more cPanel reseller customers be looking to migrate to DA soon given the pending global recession.

Francisco

I look forward to see whats popping up tomorrow (which is today for me). If there's any way to keep me posted please do. If not, I will explore the different channels of communication you have.

Awesome sauce! If you need help with setups or got how to questions, I am just a pm away :)

Thanked by 1fisksvansen
  • icecrea0icecrea0 Member
    edited May 2020

@Francisco overdid himself. Check out LU E3-KVM 2GB stock.

Thanked by 1fisksvansen
  • @Mr_Tom said:

fisksvansen said: I'll get my hands on s test server and start investigating this and many other things. Thank you!

Enjoy! Unless specifically requested I avoice the overhead of things like cPanel/DA anyway.

fisksvansen said: After some thought this seem to be where it's leaning. Thank you for the input, it made things clearer.

The only thing to bear in mind with this approach is site migrations and IP address changes. It's fine for smaller blog sites, but if you've got anything ecommerce like just be careful not to "lose" an order/etc in the change over. If you have the ability to, dropping the TTL on the DNS settings helps massively as the DNS changes won't take long.

There's no LUX BuyVM stock showing just yet - in fact the 2gb instance has -1 stock in stock.

Thanks for everything, man. I got a solution now that I am working on. I'm doing some small DNS-transfers now with non-important sites and learning about the do's and dont's.

• @cazrz said:
    And most importantly. Plan your OFFSITE backup. In case you are able to manage your VPS on your own. No one can tell if your provider will go deadpool in a day notice. So being prepared will be the best.

Yes, I have started to understand this. Thank you for the heads up. How do you usually take care of this yourself?

• @BharatB said:

@fisksvansen said:

Just in case, you've not settled down yet, we surely can work something out for you.

Nice website man! I got it sorted out but I'll put you on the list of possible solutions for future expansion, ok?

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

What did you go with in the end, VPS or reseller? (and who with?)

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@fisksvansen glad to hear you got it sorted out, as @Mr_Tom said let us know what solution you used in the end :)

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

@fisksvansen said:

@cazrz said:

Yes, I have started to understand this. Thank you for the heads up. How do you usually take care of this yourself?

Another lesson learned just recently. So after 48 hours that the provider was not able resolve my issue, I restored the backups to another provider.

Important to take note, that even if your provider is AWS, Google and other big players, you should have your offsite backups into another provider. Even if you phone the provider, you will bump into issues that even they cannot resolve even for 3 months.

So be prepared always.

For offsite backups, there are different types of backups. You can do a research of these.

1. jetbackups
    • currently the most popular backup plugin for cpanel
    1. rsync
    • The most popular basic tool to backup server files to another server.
    1. rclone
    • A nice and easy to use tool with a lot of cloud storage support (eg. AWS S3, Backblaze, Google Drive)
    1. borg
    • For server images / snapshots.
    • Deduplication
    1. FTP/sFTP backup
    • This is the most basic offsite backup.

If you use a control panel, you can also check if it has offsite backup feature as mostly have one.

For offsite backup storage, you will also need to consider restore speed. So it is also important that your backup storage provider have huge network.

You can check out these (no need for server sertup, low maintenance, durable storage):

• AWS S3
    • Backblaze
    • Google Storage / Drive
    • Wasabi

You can also use storage servers (you setup your own server):

• buyvm.net (block storage)
    • letbox.com (block storage)
    • servarica.com (block storage)
    • intovps.com (block storage)
    • lunanode.com (block storage)
    • nexusbytes.com (storage VPS)
    • smarthost.net (storage VPS)
    • greencloudvps.com (storage VPS)
    • crowncloud.com (storage VPS)
    • hetzner.com (storage/block)

I suggest having your offsite backup storage to be close to your server for possible low latency.

In your case, I suggest to get first cloud storage, and Backblaze may be the cheapest option for you as the pricing is per usage/month starting at $0.005/gb.

Then get a storage server ($5/mo) for learning purposes. If you use block storage, there's an extra step as you need to attach the block storage to the VPS.

• fisksvansenfisksvansen Member
    edited May 2020

@Mr_Tom said:
    What did you go with in the end, VPS or reseller? (and who with?)

@Jord said:
    @fisksvansen glad to hear you got it sorted out, as @Mr_Tom said let us know what solution you used in the end :)

Hey guys! I will go with reseller at the moment and slowly learn more about VPS and in the future perhaps move over to that. Some space opened up over at buyshared.net so I went with the second option there. It’s perfect for me in this time of transition. I seem to have 3 clients lining up already.

@cazrz said:

@fisksvansen said:

@cazrz said:

Another lesson learned just recently. So after 48 hours that the provider was not able resolve my issue, I restored the backups to another provider.

Important to take note, that even if your provider is AWS, Google and other big players, you should have your offsite backups into another provider. Even if you phone the provider, you will bump into issues that even they cannot resolve even for 3 months.

So be prepared always.

For offsite backups, there are different types of backups. You can do a research of these.

1. jetbackups
    • currently the most popular backup plugin for cpanel
    1. rsync
    • The most popular basic tool to backup server files to another server.
    1. rclone
    • A nice and easy to use tool with a lot of cloud storage support (eg. AWS S3, Backblaze, Google Drive)
    1. borg
    • For server images / snapshots.
    • Deduplication
    1. FTP/sFTP backup
    • This is the most basic offsite backup.

If you use a control panel, you can also check if it has offsite backup feature as mostly have one.

For offsite backup storage, you will also need to consider restore speed. So it is also important that your backup storage provider have huge network.

You can check out these (no need for server sertup, low maintenance, durable storage):

• AWS S3
    • Backblaze
    • Google Storage / Drive
    • Wasabi

You can also use storage servers (you setup your own server):

• buyvm.net (block storage)
    • letbox.com (block storage)
    • servarica.com (block storage)
    • intovps.com (block storage)
    • lunanode.com (block storage)
    • nexusbytes.com (storage VPS)
    • smarthost.net (storage VPS)
    • greencloudvps.com (storage VPS)
    • crowncloud.com (storage VPS)
    • hetzner.com (storage/block)

I suggest having your offsite backup storage to be close to your server for possible low latency.

In your case, I suggest to get first cloud storage, and Backblaze may be the cheapest option for you as the pricing is per usage/month starting at $0.005/gb.

Then get a storage server ($5/mo) for learning purposes. If you use block storage, there's an extra step as you need to attach the block storage to the VPS.

Oh my, that’s a really good summary. I am very grateful that you put all that work into it. Thank you!

• hello. you can check our plan Fully managed https://dc.dignusdata.center/cart.php?a=add&pid=126 EU or US

Thanked by 1fisksvansen