Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reseller or Managed VPS similar to BuyVM/BuyShared
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reseller or Managed VPS similar to BuyVM/BuyShared

fisksvansenfisksvansen Member
edited April 2020 in Requests

@Francisco is out of stock it seems? You could please verify with me Fran, since I am very interested in your services.

I am low-profile designer and probably a future hosting provider for friends and family (to begin with). I have a handful of clients turning my way at the moment, but I only want to start very sustainable. "Sustainable" is my core value of everything in life. That’s what makes me sleep good at night. That’s also why I am looking for providers that understand that value. I am not interested in crazy-eyed salesmen that jerk off to words like "TURBO". But don’t mistake me for not appreciating new technology, on the other hand: I love it, if it is relevant.

I find LiteSpeed Cache and Wordpress to be something interesting since I am all about Wordpress. I have also heard that a good CDN and a not overloaded server might be a good alternative to LS. And if anyone want to share anything about NGINX as another option or just a general option that I have not seen yet, then please tell me — I am learning and I am curious!

At the moment I am a humble renter of web-space from a Swedish provider. Since a couple of days I understand that I have been on "the bottom" of the hosting business hierarchy. That is not that weird, since I have had limited knowledge and no needs to be higher up. I don’t feel like I have been screwed over a lot all these years, since I have not had much of an expense: About $35/year. Now I am looking at going to somewhere between $70-100/year, to begin with. Like I said: Sustainable change. I presume that I will be able to host 4-5 friends (Wordpress with some low activity WooCommerce) on that cost with them being happy. When I reach client #4 or #5 I look at going a step further. So I need:

Something affordable with a sustainable-thinking-provider that got a long-term-horizon in his/her own vision. Location preferably in the north of Europe or central Europe.

I find the numbers and specs of either BuyVM or BuyShared to be on point for me and also with the appropriate scalability. And I also find @Francisco to have a good reputation from what I have read here on LET. Hetzner also got my attention since last year, but I have a feeling it might be too much work for me to get into installing everything myself, if I haven’t missed out on some terrifically good walkthroughs on how easy it is to get a VPS into a working web hosting environment?

Before ending this long text I want to thank @Jord over at BaseServ for being a formidable guy! Since starting to investigate what this hosting-world is all about I didn’t find anyone as service-minded as @Jord anywhere before encountering him. He understood that I was looking for something in particular, something that he couldn’t provide at the moment, and therefore he gave me lots of good pointings on where I could go to find that. I am almost considering to get an account from him now, even though I am actually looking for something else. That’s good non-imposing service, if it can make me think like that!

Thanked by 1Jord

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

When you say managed, what sort of management do you mean? Or do you just want the option to have some additional support?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@fisksvansen said:
    @Francisco is out of stock it seems? You could please verify with me Fran, since I am very interested in your services.

I am low-profile designer and probably a future hosting provider for friends and family (to begin with). I have a handful of clients turning my way at the moment, but I only want to start very sustainable. "Sustainable" is my core value of everything in life. That’s what makes me sleep good at night. That’s also why I am looking for providers that understand that value. I am not interested in crazy-eyed salesmen that jerk off to words like "TURBO". But don’t mistake me for not appreciating new technology, on the other hand: I love it, if it is relevant.

I find LiteSpeed Cache and Wordpress to be something interesting since I am all about Wordpress. I have also heard that a good CDN and a not overloaded server might be a good alternative to LS. And if anyone want to share anything about NGINX as another option or just a general option that I have not seen yet, then please tell me — I am learning and I am curious!

At the moment I am a humble renter of web-space from a Swedish provider. Since a couple of days I understand that I have been on "the bottom" of the hosting business hierarchy. That is not that weird, since I have had limited knowledge and no needs to be higher up. I don’t feel like I have been screwed over a lot all these years, since I have not had much of an expense: About $35/year. Now I am looking at going to somewhere between $70-100/year, to begin with. Like I said: Sustainable change. I presume that I will be able to host 4-5 friends (Wordpress with some low activity WooCommerce) on that cost with them being happy. When I reach client #4 or #5 I look at going a step further. So I need:

Something affordable with a sustainable-thinking-provider that got a long-term-horizon in his/her own vision.

I find the numbers and specs of either BuyVM or BuyShared to be on point for me and also with the appropriate scalability. And I also find @Francisco to have a good reputation from what I have read here on LET. Hetzner also got my attention since last year, but I have a feeling it might be too much work for me to get into installing everything myself, if I haven’t have missed out on some terrifically good walkthroughs on how easy it is to get a VPS into a working web hosting environment?

Before ending this long text I want to thank @Jord over at BaseServ for being a formidable guy! Since starting to investigate what this hosting-world is all about I didn’t find anyone as service-minded as @Jord anywhere before encountering him. He understood that I was looking for something in particular, something that he couldn’t provide at the moment, and therefore he gave me lots of good pointings on where I could go to find that. I am almost considering to get an account from him now, even though I am actually looking for something else. That’s good non-imposing service, if it can make me think like that!

I'm not sure about providing WhatsApp number in public platforms is a good idea or bad..

Anyway, do you have any specific config? We maybe help you
    I'm sure @Jord definitely have something for you

• A reseller sounds like the ideal solution for you but what exactly would you be looking for when it comes to a managed reseller account? A managed VPS obviously covers different things as the server itself is whats covered, whereas with a managed reseller account are you looking for support setting up websites/diagnosing issues etc?

• @Mr_Tom said:
    When you say managed, what sort of management do you mean? Or do you just want the option to have some additional support?

Hi Mr_Tom

Thanks for the good questions. In this particular request I mean by managed: A VPS where I can install an out-of-a-box cPanel-solution (or similar to that) and where I can have the occasional support of someone that knows more than me. I do have UNIX-experience, so I am not totally green and will probably be able to solve a lot issues given the time if I do it myself.

fisksvansen said: Thanks for the good questions. In this particular request I mean by managed: A VPS where I can install an out-of-a-box cPanel-solution (or similar to that) and where I can have the occasional support of someone that knows more than me.

Gotcha. I usually assume "managed" means the provider takes care of the admin etc, but at the very least keeps the server up to date. $100/year works out to be about $8.33 a month, which wouldn't really cover the cPanel licence, but of course Fran offers free DA which would cover you.

• @ViridWeb said:
    I'm not sure about providing WhatsApp number in public platforms is a good idea or bad..

Thanks for the heads up @ViridWeb. I'll reflect on the matter if I feel uncomfortable with putting the number there. At the moment I feel okey with it.

A specific config is difficult for me to put together since I don’t feel at home with the meaning of all numbers. So far I have been trying to get a sense out them by looking at what providers seem to value. But something that I do feel (quite) certain about is SDD 25-30GB for this first step. That is very tangible to me. Inodes at 250.000+ seem to be important as well (for every user). And then of course responsiveness for especially Swedish visitor, but I haven’t figured out a way to measure that yet (other than believing that LiteSpeed Cache and/or CDN might be good for that).

Thank you for your response by the way!

• fisksvansen said: I'll reflect on the matter if I feel uncomfortable with putting the number there. At the moment I feel okey with it.

The internet doesn't forget and in about 3 hours you can't edit your post anymore. So, think fast.

If you want @Francisco to have your phone number, there are other ways ;-).

• @WSCallum said:
    A reseller sounds like the ideal solution for you but what exactly would you be looking for when it comes to a managed reseller account? A managed VPS obviously covers different things as the server itself is whats covered, whereas with a managed reseller account are you looking for support setting up websites/diagnosing issues etc?

Yes, I tend to think reseller most of the time.

To my understanding I might save some money if I can go with a VPS straight away and expand out of that. Reseller is easier, since I have all the knowledge that I might need there (I think), but if I would have a VPS that someone would install cPanel or DirectAdmin inside of, then that might be the same for me? Some support where I could direct questions would be good on that, but I will manage a lot myself in that kind of environment, I think.

Thank for responding.

• @debaser said:

fisksvansen said: I'll reflect on the matter if I feel uncomfortable with putting the number there. At the moment I feel okey with it.

The internet doesn't forget and in about 3 hours you can't edit your post anymore. So, think fast.

If you want @Francisco to have your phone number, there are other ways ;-).

Thanks! Okey, since you guys are so keen on this I have started to distrust people in general and I will remove this number. ;)

• @Mr_Tom said:

fisksvansen said: Thanks for the good questions. In this particular request I mean by managed: A VPS where I can install an out-of-a-box cPanel-solution (or similar to that) and where I can have the occasional support of someone that knows more than me.

Gotcha. I usually assume "managed" means the provider takes care of the admin etc, but at the very least keeps the server up to date. $100/year works out to be about $8.33 a month, which wouldn't really cover the cPanel licence, but of course Fran offers free DA which would cover you.

Yes, I have noticed that. So with VPS I would not be able to go with cPanel, then. That makes ONE thing more clear! :smiley:

What sort of location are you looking for?

edited April 2020

@fisksvansen said:

@ViridWeb said:

Thanks for the heads up @ViridWeb. I'll reflect on the matter if I feel uncomfortable with putting the number there. At the moment I feel okey with it.

A specific config is difficult for me to put together since I don’t feel at home with the meaning of all numbers. So far I have been trying to get a sense out them by looking at what providers seem to value. But something that I do feel (quite) certain about is SDD 25-30GB for this first step. That is very tangible to me. Inodes at 250.000+ seem to be important as well (for every user). And then of course responsiveness for especially Swedish visitor, but I haven’t figured out a way to measure that yet (other than believing that LiteSpeed Cache and/or CDN might be good for that).

We can offer you similar plan like this €36/$38 (approx) yearly

1vcore Epyc CPU
    50GB SSD (Raid 10)
    2GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    1 IPv4 + /64 IPv6
    10Gbps Connection
    2TB traffic
    Directadmin (€5 monthly extra)
    Free blesta Software
    We will halp you to install and manage Directadmin for free if you want

• @Mr_Tom said:
    What sort of location are you looking for?

Thank you for asking. I just entered that into the text. Sweden is best, but central Europe might be fine (or Finland/Norway/Denmark). If CDN can make it work out as IF things are located in Sweden, then why not go with that? I don’t really know how it works to be honest.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

fisksvansen said: Before ending this long text I want to thank @Jord over at BaseServ for being a formidable guy! Since starting to investigate what this hosting-world is all about I didn’t find anyone as service-minded as @Jord anywhere before encountering him. He understood that I was looking for something in particular, something that he couldn’t provide at the moment, and therefore he gave me lots of good pointings on where I could go to find that. I am almost considering to get an account from him now, even though I am actually looking for something else. That’s good non-imposing service, if it can make me think like that!

Thanks for the kind words, It was nice talking with you, and no problem at all. I hope you find what you are looking for :)

Thanked by 1fisksvansen

fisksvansen said: Sweden is best

I did see Sweden in the text but wasn't sure if that was a requirement or not lol.

• fisksvansenfisksvansen Member
    edited April 2020

@ViridWeb said:

@fisksvansen said:

@ViridWeb said:

1vcore Epyc CPU
    50GB SSD (Raid 10)
    2GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    1 IPv4 + /64 IPv6
    10Gbps Connection
    2TB traffic
    Free blesta Software

Thank you for the offer @ViridWeb. I think it is not far from what I am looking for. What more can you tell me about this? Can you give me IP-numbers that I can ping? Can I have information on the data center?

Me and @Mr_Tom were discussing the meaning of "managed" and I think that it would be appropriate to discuss that here. What do you mean by "manage Directadmin"? Will you also be updating the whole VPS regularly?

• @Mr_Tom said:

fisksvansen said: Sweden is best

I did see Sweden in the text but wasn't sure if that was a requirement or not lol.

Not a requirement to be located there, of course. But to have good responsiveness there would be beneficial.

@fisksvansen said:

@ViridWeb said:

@fisksvansen said:

@ViridWeb said:

1vcore Epyc CPU
    50GB SSD (Raid 10)
    2GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    1 IPv4 + /64 IPv6
    10Gbps Connection
    2TB traffic
    Free blesta Software

Thank you for the offer @ViridWeb. I think it is not far from what I am looking for. What more can you tell me about this? Can you give me IP-numbers that I can ping? Can I have information on the data center?

Me and @Mr_Tom were discussing the meaning of "managed" and I think that it would be appropriate to discuss that here. What do you mean by "manage Directadmin"? Will you also be updating the whole VPS regularly?

All our servers are located in Serverius
    And if you want to test our network, we can give you a vps for 1 hour to test
    Join us on Skype so we can issue a test server instantly
    Skype ID: VIRIDWEB

• AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider

I will recommend
    @intovps cheap + free da license :)
    Second
    @seriesn affordable + few $ license cost

• You can check @MikePT promo for Reseller

Thanked by 1MikePT

Managed is always a difficult one as everyone has their own ideas of what it covers. IMO you don't need "managed", just good support and control panel, or some system to make things easier for you, especially if you have some previous experience.

If you're wanting to get a bit more involved but still have something that takes the config out of the equation, check out something like https://sympl.host - it's a collection of scripts/programs that automate/assist it setting up shared hosting systems, but without the overheads of a gui web panel (note, I'm not affiliated with this just have used it in the past) - and I used it for some of my managed clients.

• @fisksvansen

@Jord is indeed super prem and a reason why we love him so much! @AK_KWH thanks for the mention bud!

@Francisco is the man!

While we don't offer litespeed (as of yet), we do host a healthy amount of wordpress user on our regular hosting plans and so far, knock on the wood, it hasn't been bad. An optimize lsphp+Apache 2 combo is pretty bad ass as well :).

If you are interested in joining the family, feel free to take a look at our summer promo: https://nexusbytes.com/knowledgebase/52/Crazy-Summer-Bonanza.html

Thanked by 1Jord
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2020

Thanks for the interest!

We will have more stock tomorrow. I'm working on adding more DA based resellers.

More slice nodes are coming up as well as slabs if you ever needed massive storage.

Francisco

Thanked by 2serversHQ MichaelCee
  • @ViridWeb said:

@fisksvansen said:

@ViridWeb said:

@fisksvansen said:

@ViridWeb said:

1vcore Epyc CPU
    50GB SSD (Raid 10)
    2GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    1 IPv4 + /64 IPv6
    10Gbps Connection
    2TB traffic
    Free blesta Software

All our servers are located in Serverius
    And if you want to test our network, we can give you a vps for 1 hour to test
    Join us on Skype so we can issue a test server instantly
    Skype ID: VIRIDWEB

Thank you @ViridWeb, I find your offer to be to be most delicious. First and foremost I will wait and see what @Fransisco will be bringing in to the table tomorrow. If it’s not what I am looking for then I will probably keep you updated.

@AK_KWH said:
    I will recommend
    @intovps cheap + free da license :)
    Second
    @seriesn affordable + few $ license cost

@intovps looks very interesting to me. I like the simplicity in how the service is being presented. I also find this to be an excellent alternative to me in the price range I am considering. I need to look into how to setup the DirectAdmin and LiteSpeed after that. Any good guides if I would choose this setup?

@Mr_Tom said:
    Managed is always a difficult one as everyone has their own ideas of what it covers. IMO you don't need "managed", just good support and control panel, or some system to make things easier for you, especially if you have some previous experience.

If you're wanting to get a bit more involved but still have something that takes the config out of the equation, check out something like https://sympl.host - it's a collection of scripts/programs that automate/assist it setting up shared hosting systems, but without the overheads of a gui web panel (note, I'm not affiliated with this just have used it in the past) - and I used it for some of my managed clients.

@Mr_Tom, what you are showing me makes me curious. It makes me think of a more "clean" environment with less distractions. Is that something similar to what it is to you?

@seriesn said:
    @fisksvansen

@Jord is indeed super prem and a reason why we love him so much! @AK_KWH thanks for the mention bud!

@Francisco is the man!

While we don't offer litespeed (as of yet), we do host a healthy amount of wordpress user on our regular hosting plans and so far, knock on the wood, it hasn't been bad. An optimize lsphp+Apache 2 combo is pretty bad ass as well :).

If you are interested in joining the family, feel free to take a look at our summer promo: https://nexusbytes.com/knowledgebase/52/Crazy-Summer-Bonanza.html

I was highly recommended Nexus Bytes from several people, that must mean something. What you mention about lsphp+Apache 2 makes me want to investigate. Do you have a good read about it?

I checked your link and found information saying that there is a month to month payment term with you. Is it always like that? Yearly commitments is not a possibility?

@Francisco said:
    Thanks for the interest!

We will have more stock tomorrow. I'm working on adding more DA based resellers.

More slice nodes are coming up as well as slabs if you ever needed massive storage.

Francisco

@Francisco! At last. Thank you for the response. I will be interested in the European location. It seems you will not be adding any extra reseller stock there, is that so?

If that doesn’t work out maybe you can tell me about other European options tomorrow? Where can I stay updated on changes at your side?

fisksvansen said: @Mr_Tom, what you are showing me makes me curious. It makes me think of a more "clean" environment with less distractions. Is that something similar to what it is to you?

I find it useful. It essentially keeps a clean debian install, without any overheads of GUI/web panels. You run some simple commands via SSH such as sympl create web domain.com and it'll create the directory structure, apache configs, etc. Or you can create the domain folder via FTP and wait a few minutes and the cron scripts will pickup the change and setup apache.

It's more aimed at someone who is looking after a few domains, rather than being more of a "reseller" package.

It will handle mailboxes, etc too, but you can remove any packages (dovecot, etc) if not required. It's a fork of an earlier project which was originally started by a hosting company, who since stopped developing it (mainly due to sacking their dev team after being aquired by a larger firm).

I've used it for quite a few years to assist with managing some clients servers who aren't interested in having a control panel to access themselves.

• fisksvansen said: I was highly recommended Nexus Bytes from several people, that must mean something. What you mention about lsphp+Apache 2 makes me want to investigate. Do you have a good read about it?

Here you go my friend : ) https://www.cloudlinux.com/mod-lsapi

I could have chosen to pay $36/mo on a license or pass the savings to my user base, while keeping the servers load low. Works out decently :)

I checked your link and found information saying that there is a month to month payment term with you. Is it always like that? Yearly commitments is not a possibility?

For the promo (Free DA), we are doing it for month to months. Feel free to shoot me a pm and we can work something out :).

P.S if you are hosting your own content (VPS), Open Litespeed might be a great option too :)

• cazrzcazrz Member

I suggest to just get a reseller hosting package at first. Then get a VPS to play with. Once you are comfortable managing your own VPS then you can migrate the sites from your reseller account to your VPS.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

fisksvansen said: @Francisco! At last. Thank you for the response. I will be interested in the European location. It seems you will not be adding any extra reseller stock there, is that so?

We'll have some tomorrow from cancellations but I don't expect much.

I expect a lot more cPanel reseller customers be looking to migrate to DA soon given the pending global recession.

Francisco

• @Mr_Tom said:

fisksvansen said: @Mr_Tom, what you are showing me makes me curious. It makes me think of a more "clean" environment with less distractions. Is that something similar to what it is to you?

I find it useful. It essentially keeps a clean debian install, without any overheads of GUI/web panels. You run some simple commands via SSH such as sympl create web domain.com and it'll create the directory structure, apache configs, etc. Or you can create the domain folder via FTP and wait a few minutes and the cron scripts will pickup the change and setup apache.

It's more aimed at someone who is looking after a few domains, rather than being more of a "reseller" package.

It will handle mailboxes, etc too, but you can remove any packages (dovecot, etc) if not required. It's a fork of an earlier project which was originally started by a hosting company, who since stopped developing it (mainly due to sacking their dev team after being aquired by a larger firm).

I've used it for quite a few years to assist with managing some clients servers who aren't interested in having a control panel to access themselves.

Yes, I see the usefulness of that. I think I will have some clients with no interest whatsoever in having a background panel. What you are showing me will be great for them. I'll get my hands on s test server and start investigating this and many other things. Thank you!

@seriesn said:

fisksvansen said: I was highly recommended Nexus Bytes from several people, that must mean something. What you mention about lsphp+Apache 2 makes me want to investigate. Do you have a good read about it?

Here you go my friend : ) https://www.cloudlinux.com/mod-lsapi

I could have chosen to pay $36/mo on a license or pass the savings to my user base, while keeping the servers load low. Works out decently :)

For the promo (Free DA), we are doing it for month to months. Feel free to shoot me a pm and we can work something out :).

P.S if you are hosting your own content (VPS), Open Litespeed might be a great option too :)

Thanks for the link. You will be one of the providers I will be keeping in mind for several uses and reasons. Thank you! (And I will look at OpenLiteSpeed)

@cazrz said:
    I suggest to just get a reseller hosting package at first. Then get a VPS to play with. Once you are comfortable managing your own VPS then you can migrate the sites from your reseller account to your VPS.

After some thought this seem to be where it's leaning. Thank you for the input, it made things clearer.

Sweet! Thank you. I will bit into this as I start experimenting with VPS's.

@Francisco said:

fisksvansen said: @Francisco! At last. Thank you for the response. I will be interested in the European location. It seems you will not be adding any extra reseller stock there, is that so?

We'll have some tomorrow from cancellations but I don't expect much.

I expect a lot more cPanel reseller customers be looking to migrate to DA soon given the pending global recession.

Francisco

I look forward to see whats popping up tomorrow (which is today for me). If there's any way to keep me posted please do. If not, I will explore the different channels of communication you have.