Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner?

Comments

• @isixhost said:
    We are with OVH some few years without any complaints. No downtimes, no hardware issues...

and what about hetzner?

• isixhostisixhost Member
    edited August 2020

@amsaal said:

@isixhost said:
    We are with OVH some few years without any complaints. No downtimes, no hardware issues...

and what about hetzner?

There isn't need to use Hetzner as we get more from OVH like USA+EU DC. We are offering IaaS, PaaS and SaaS solutions to our customers which can be made very easy with OVH OpenStack control panels, APIs etc.

• @isixhost said:

@amsaal said:

@isixhost said:

and what about hetzner?

There isn't need to use Hetzner as we get more from OVH like USA+EU DC. We are offering IaaS, PaaS and SaaS solutions to our customers which can be made very easy with OVH OpenStack control panels, APIs etc.

hetzner has good network and down times are 0 . i host a website on it .

Thanked by 2isixhost Hetzner_OL
  • @isixhost said:

So you came to an Hetzner thread saying youre married to OVH..

Real classy.

Thanked by 1fendix
  • @serv_ee said:

@isixhost said:

Real classy.

Hi, no way. I'm just answering to this: "If there are some cheaper alternatives?".

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited August 2020

@isixhost said:

@serv_ee said:

@isixhost said:

Real classy.

Hi, no way. I'm just answering to this: "If there are some cheaper alternatives?".

Ah my bad. But unless you exclude Kim and SYS is OVH really cheaper than Hetzner? For some reason I have gotten the notion that not really. And well, OVH support straight out is garbage unless you phone them.

I have rarely needed Hetzners support but when I have written them I always get a prompt reply as well.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • @serv_ee said:

@isixhost said:

@serv_ee said:

@isixhost said:

Real classy.

Ah my bad. But unless you exclude Kim and SYS is OVH really cheaper than Hetzner? For some reason I have gotten the notion that not really. And well, OVH support straight out is garbage unless you phone them.

I have rarely needed Hetzners support but when I have written them I always get a prompt reply as well.

agreed

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @serv_ee said: I have rarely needed Hetzners support but when I have written them I always get a prompt reply as well.

OVH servers (and all other brands of them) are unmanaged. Ticket response times - it depends of your "question". If you just ask something like "...how can I access my server (lol)..." you want get a "prompt" reply if any, as they assume the server has its "own" server administrator. It's nothing for newbies.
    If there is an another accident with the HW or network, they will try to fix it earlier as you can open a ticket (you will get notified by email as well).
    That's how their support works.
    Regarding their prices - they are, as they are. Every company has it's own business model and there isn't a way to make a price for a "Caffee Late" in India same as in the USA or EU.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited August 2020

@isixhost For their public cloud part, I love the way I can destroy my account through e-mail with zero hassle. After a week of waiting for a response, it took just a minute to nuke it. Zero customer excellence, comparing with the guys at Scaleway/Online.

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

'cause Hetzner is Prem!

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • Why not? We're having the best of both worlds. Quality and affordability.

Thanked by 1isixhost
  • @snt said: Quality and affordability.

That's it. Let's go to compare Adidas with Nike...

• My 9 years experience with hetzner .
    Price : cheap !
    Hardware : Very old on most of servers !
    Network : Very good !
    Support : medium !
    Abuse handling : awful !

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • @isixhost said:

@serv_ee said: I have rarely needed Hetzners support but when I have written them I always get a prompt reply as well.

OVH servers (and all other brands of them) are unmanaged. Ticket response times - it depends of your "question". If you just ask something like "...how can I access my server (lol)..." you want get a "prompt" reply if any, as they assume the server has its "own" server administrator. It's nothing for newbies.
    If there is an another accident with the HW or network, they will try to fix it earlier as you can open a ticket (you will get notified by email as well).
    That's how their support works.
    Regarding their prices - they are, as they are. Every company has it's own business model and there isn't a way to make a price for a "Caffee Late" in India same as in the USA or EU.

So are hetzner servers. What's your point? That if it's unmanaged you don't have to answer tickets all of the sudden? No idea why are you even defending OVH on this, everyone knows their support sucks.

• @Hetzner_OL

I currently have services from DO, Vultr, OVH, Linode, RamNode. Really want to try you guys.

Do you have plans on expending locations outside Europe sooner or later?

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Is Hetzner VPS reliable enough to host production sites? They have very low prices for good resources.

• @TheKiller said:
    Is Hetzner VPS reliable enough to host production sites? They have very low prices for good resources.

Definitively! No downtimes so far.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @TheKiller said:
    Is Hetzner VPS reliable enough to host production sites? They have very low prices for good resources.

Yes, they have a very good uptime (at least on cloud servers)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @donko said: Get free € 20 Credits to spend in Hetzner Cloud by signing up from my aff link

:D

• @isixhost said:

@donko said: Get free € 20 Credits to spend in Hetzner Cloud by signing up from my aff link

:D

???? it's on my signature bruh... and yes i like Hetzner service

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    We have a responsibility to protect other people on the internet, and we take this responsibility seriously. Sure, if we were less strict about accepting new accounts, we could make more money. But that is less important to us than being responsible. In addition, having a good reputation as a provider is important for our customers, so that they don't face issues themselves. I hope you can understand. --Katie

This is why I love Hetzner. A very responsible provider :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@kyaky said:
    Do you have plans on expending locations outside Europe sooner or later?

We get this question every few weeks or so.The short answer is "yes". We are looking at possible new locations, but we have no concrete plans that I can announce. In very general terms, we announce news only once something is very, very certain, like the ink is already dry on the contracts-certain. Hetzner is a privately owned company. This means that financing new locations is always a bit trickier than with a company backed by a bunch of investors. The good side about this is that we can always re-invest money in the company rather than trying to please investors who just want profits. The downside of that means, though, that developing new locations goes at a slower pace. If and when we open a new location, it will be big news for us and we will make sure to announce it here and on our social media channels. --Katie

Thanked by 4kyaky hanoi Cabbage 0xbkt
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

webgraf said: And their Russian support is just awful. They can afford and lie on the forum about the client.

Did something specific happen with our support that you were not happy about? Which forum do you mean here? Our Hetzner Diskussionsforum? Maybe you can give me a ticket number or a link so that I understand what you mean. Thanks in advance!
    --Katie

No Katie, russian forum searchengines.guru.

• hzrhzr Member

One thing I still don't understand is why people cannot get into their heads that a provider can pick and choose who they want to do business with.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@webgraf - I am confused. I haven't asked you about this since April 24, and you already answered. Was there something else you would like me to do on your behalf? --Katie

• @townty said:
    I heard some good review about Herzner and want to try with them, but in the 1st step which is registering (still not buying anything), they disabled my account without a notice. Maybe it's their policy to manual review, but "no reply" style is some thing not good for big company. I still try contacting with them. We'll see about that.

Same thinh happened to me.i gave them my id card and they disable my account without any clarification or reasoning.i asked them in emails why they did it.but no reply from them.atleast they should give a reason or something maybe things get clear if they reply back.
    Even PayPal dont do this.making paypal account and verification is much easier.i don't know why hetzner so harsh.

• @Redzone said:

@townty said:
    I heard some good review about Herzner and want to try with them, but in the 1st step which is registering (still not buying anything), they disabled my account without a notice. Maybe it's their policy to manual review, but "no reply" style is some thing not good for big company. I still try contacting with them. We'll see about that.

Same thinh happened to me.i gave them my id card and they disable my account without any clarification or reasoning.i asked them in emails why they did it.but no reply from them.atleast they should give a reason or something maybe things get clear if they reply back.
    Even PayPal dont do this.making paypal account and verification is much easier.i don't know why hetzner so harsh.

Maybe you was conected throug a proxy IP?

• After tons of problems with local providers I'm using only OVH & Hetzner. And both of them is really nice.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

As I've written before, in the past, we used to tell people specifically why their account was not accepted. In these cases, the customer would then re-do their account information and fix the specific problem(s) and then get an account. In 95-99% of those cases, these customers later had issues with abuse, sometimes almost immediately. That is why we stopped being transparent about why we rejected accounts. The team also made a decison to only respond if they decided to approve accounts. This may seem harsh. However, responding to mails is very labor intensive. And if 95-99% of these kinds of accounts that are likely from spammers/scammers of some sort, it is big investment with very little payoff.
    Yes, some accounts are false positives. It seems like there are a lot of these because these customers are very vocal on forums and social media -- which we understand. It's not nice to be rejected. Customer service experts and researchers have found that upset customers are much, much more likely to post feedback than happy or neutral customers. If you look at negative complaints here on LET, on social media, etc., for Hetzner, a lot of them are about rejected accounts.
    However, there are many people whose accounts are approved and who never comment on it. So they are less visible.
    We understand that it's frustrating to be rejected. Every company has its own process. Our process is not intended to be mean, but to allow us to 1) prevent abuse/fraud 2) make the best use of manhours. --Katie

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • About 80% of other providers have some stupid Maxmind triggers that completely prevent you from setting up an account if your current IP does not match your country of birth or god forbid isn't even residential.

Hetzner allowed me to send in my passport and verify the account without these issues. Thank you.