Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for you low end providers who advertise on here... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question for you low end providers who advertise on here...

Comments

• Since I have read this thread I have a split opinion about LEBs, it should be better, when some providers will also comment here and say how they do handle that.

When it is real, what is in this thread, I can think, that the most hosts will also kick me, when I will use the included-traffic or have a DoS or very small DDoS-attack on my vps

• @Amfy said: When it is real, what is in this thread, I can think, that the most hosts will also kick me, when I will use the included-traffic or have a DoS or very small DDoS-attack on my vps

For us... if you receive a DoS attack your IP will automatically be nulled at the DC, preventing the attack from affecting other clients. This null will automatically be lifted after an hour, and reapplied if the attack continues.

The only reason we would have for kicking you out would be if you attracted large enough attacks to seriously affect our network or other clients.

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited February 2012

@Aldryic thanks for your personal answer :)

if you receive a DoS attack your IP will automatically be nulled

What? So, if a kiddy decides to attack me with less than 5 bots, or maybe only one, my IP gets nulled?! What's if I am able to block these 5 ips very quick?

• OMG the Tor thread has started to spread. It is taking over LET!

Thanked by 3Amfy gsrdgrdghd jamson
  • @Amfy said: What? So, if a kiddy decides to attack me with less than 5 bots, or maybe only one, my IP gets nulled?! What's if I am able to block these 5 ips very quick?

Nah, it has to be a fairly large attack for our autonulld to kick in. If it's something minor, then nothing would happen. And even if a null was placed, it only lasts for an hour, and you could still access the VPS via serial console or internal VNC.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @Aldryic: okay than :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

That is not what everyone does, tho, I have seen fairly large providers for fairly large customers to null the IP(s) forever (destroy VPS without refund and even backup), what Aldryic does is a very nice thing.
    Fortunatelly, the LEB customers dont attract so much traffic and hatred usually, at least from what I saw myself. Either because their sites are not popular enough or because the attacker knows it is easy to move and wont lose the house, as such the attack will probably cost more than the LEB itself.
    M

• Autonulld is Fran's baby. He had the idea from back when we were primarily an MMO host... for some reason private RO servers attracted a LOT of beatings.

Being vigilant is also a good deterrent to keeping skids away. When it comes to malicious usage for us, the first proven offense is enough to see you out the door permanently. Combine that with we don't allow services to accounts with false names/addr/etc, and people suddenly become very aware of the possibility of the law being able to find them. Of course, there's always the overseas cases that don't care... but well, Pony has his ways :P

• @Aldryic said: Autonulld is Fran's baby.

Well, his baby attacked me the past week ¬_¬ Stupid ddosers u_u

@Aldryic said: for some reason private RO servers attracted a LOT of beatings.

Haha :) I was admin, GM and developper in a few games, this is one of the reasons I value my privacy, received a lot of threats to cut my throat and such, mostly russians, but also romanians and greeks, had clan site hacked and deleted, then acused i did it, so on and so forth :P
    MMO stuff is trilling, but browser games also generated a lot of heat. Had lots of fun and it taught me a lot of languages, if you dont know their language it is not easy to catch cheaters even witht he logs fully available :P
    Oh, tempora !
    M

@gsrdgrdghd said: Anyway the only legit use i can think of for tor is the opposition in countries with a strict internet control, and those people would be better off with just using a VPN or a SSH proxy.

You are wrong, some possible uses here: https://www.torproject.org/
    The reasons VPNs and proxyes cant be used easily is that the govt can easily block the few VPN providers, most VPS providers wont allow ppl in Surya or Pakistan, Iran and Turkmenistan buy a machine, they dont really have the means to pay since many ppl live off a few dollars a day and their payments are easily tracked and, same as here, if you have something to hide, then that is a reason to be thrown in jail till you admit you are a criminal, VPNs can be forced to give up logs, UAE has good relations with US, for example and reasons can be made up for the higher good of the fight against terrorism, etc. Some ppl can use what you say, however, there is safety in numbers, VPNs have limited numbers of customers, VPSs can be intercepted and logged, since it is fairly trivial to trace payments made by regular ppl that may be whistle blowers in some big organizations, the army, etc...
    But, that is past discussion, who is not interested, will never learn, and the propaganda will win with tl;dr.
    M

• lol... this thread turned into the Tor thread really fast. /out

• I haven't had any issues with LEB / LET with spam or abusers. I have port 25 closed by default however as per the Terms of Service. Also I use MaxMind Order Checking and the Phone Verification, and the PayPal email is verified with the order email.

I think as long as you do you part to keep your orders maintained you will not have a issue.

• emm.. Y Still No Take Dagger? Y Still No Use Botnet?

• heh

@Damian said: A few of the requests we've received have been legit (upper-end shared hosting clients with dedicated IPs, IRC users, opt-in mailing lists), but we've mostly found that when someone signs up, then opens a support ticket to immediately request RDNS, we're probably going to have spam issues.

To this end, we usually wait a few days before processing their RDNS... most of the time they get suspended and we don't even bother :)

Hey, that's the first thing I do when I signup for a company.......... and I don't spam!

edited February 2012

@Derek said: Hey, that's the first thing I do when I signup for a company.......... and I don't spam!

Irelevant. As long as you need rDNS you are probably among the 95% which are into spam one way or the other and the LEB providers have low returns and cant afford the manpower to police every user and to hire a lawyer, some also operate from government facilities, that is a privilege they dont want to lose for a few rotten apples. If you really want them to support your illegal activities, you can always sign for their 50 K plan to cover for their legal expenses and BMWs. Ask Damian, he has one ready ( https://ipxcore.com/order/cart.php?a=add&pid=26 ), just in case something illegal comes up, even tho was originally designed to push pedo traffic.
    It is their hardware, their right not to host you.
    That or only your dog/cat/aligator picture, only if they are over 18, otherwise it's a no-no. Take your filth elsewhere.
    /sarcasm off
    M

Seriously, grow up. We've had enough of the crying.

• @Damian said: To this end, we usually wait a few days before processing their RDNS...

@Derek said: Hey, that's the first thing I do when I signup for a company.......... and I don't spam!

I also often request rDNS setup very fast, I don't spam or do anything illegal/against TOS and it's annoying to wait few days for this simple task to be done. Luckily most hosts don't complicate here.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

@Spirit @Derek: My original posting was a generalization. If it's something that's obviously not going to be used for spam purposes, or you otherwise wouldn't think something malicious, then it's set up immediately. Such as a blog, or an obtuse domain name for IRC purposes, that sort of thing.

If we get an immediate request for setting RDNS to bestmarketingpractices.info or smssalesareus.cc or something like that, then I'm pretty sure we'll be having issues.

One of our more recent suspensions involved a client who installed Interspire Email Marketer, a $500 chunk of software. Then proceeded to ignore our AUP/TOS and ignore our requests for subscriber information, so we ignored his request for RDNS.

I guess the modern method of thinking is to spend $500 on your software, then switch through couple-dollar VPS's and send out as many emails as you possibly can before you get term'd.

• @Damian ok, that makes sense.

edited February 2012

@Aldryic said: Seriously, grow up. We've had enough of the crying.

That's curious, nobody apologised yet, you admitted there are 2 legit ppl using Tor, but there is more needed than that. Tor users apologised already for my behaviour even tho you started the lies and insults.
    If you judge others, dont be surprised when you will be judged with the exactly same measures. Not my fault you didnt like it. I didnt like it either, but without this you would have never understood what you are doing.
    "As it is known" is a stalinist phrase used to cover the lack of evidence when the political oponents or those perceived as possible political oponents were acused of something. You cant possibly understand how it is to live under an oppresive regime if you didnt experience it first hand. Live in fear over the cold, the hunger, the desperation, without electricity end even water, with TV 2 hours a day when the praises for the great ruler were sung in more ways than one. We recently saw the North Koreans weeping for their ruler, how much sufference can YOU endure till you are reduced to that ?
    If we were living in such a coutry your baseless acusations would have been enough to put some ppl to their graves. After enough beating, death seems like a wonderful relief and you admit whatever you have to just so you can die faster.
    "As it is known" has been used here to condemn some ppl you knew almost nothing about, just hearsay and propaganda, the same as ppl heard about the "enemies of the people". "Everything you say can and will be used against you" has a whole new meaning in such a society. I can do that too, much better than you, I learned from the masters with the whip in their hands.

And no, no tl;dr mob will ever scare me, you will either ban me or issue an apology, otherwise I will be here to prove that the best intentions can never be enough to guarantee 100% positive outcome, everything can be dangerous and nothing is certain, but if we apply this in all aspects, not only in Tor's case, we could as well go suicide.
    M

• A single Tor user apologized for your childish actions out of shame of being associated with the likes of you.

Get something straight, we really don't care about all of your "I will judge you" crap. We're just sick of hearing you cry like an immature child that didn't get her way. At least make an effort to stay on topic without sinking every thread into your personal drama.

edited February 2012

OK, I will only do exactly what you did, will just throw some acusations and the acuse you some more if you try to prove you are innoncent. So dont even try.
    I will do this without talking of Tor or wahtever in the past, just what you say in the present. It is going to be fun :)
    M
    P.S. Some nice gem:

KuJoe February 6 FlagThanks
    What's the best way to determine if an exit node is running without opening config files?

-Joe @ SecureDragon
    rds100 February 6 FlagThanks
    @Kujoe Maybe compare the IP against this list http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ip_list_exit.php

KuJoe February 26 FlagThanks
    @Maounique said: KuJoe, just above, says he blocked the non-exit nodes because, among other things, he would be forced to spy on ppl to enforce that, so he has absolutely no idea that all those are public and he only needs to open a page and CTRL+F the suspected IP, it does involve a lot of man hours for that, as well as clicking the suspend button if there is an exit node there.

Which page is this exactly and how accurate is it? If it's truly as easy as you say I am all ears. I could have sworn I asked this same question earlier in this thread and the only answer I found was to open their config file.

Would you like your lies exposed like that ? Probably you willbe proud like the other warriors of light against the darkness of pedotraffic... Who cares about the truth, it is tl;dr.
    At least it is going to be fun, unless you manage to ban me somehow, in which case I promise i wont make another nick.
    P.S. 2 You won already, you convinced everyone you are right, so it is me always "butthurt". We both have fun here, you as one of the leaders of the lynchmob, me because I offer you the easy prey you want. If you dont like it, just /ignore, if only a couple other ppl have fun, it is worth it :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: Which page is this exactly and how accurate is it?

Yet my question still goes unanswered...

• This thread is where we see people's true colors I see...

edited February 2012

@Zetta said: This thread is where we see people's true colors I see...

Haha, yeah, they can only dream the tl;dr stuff will stop ppl that wish to know the truth.

@KuJoe said: Which page is this exactly and how accurate is it?

Yet my question still goes unanswered...

Is that so...
    Apart from the answer being just in that post where I quoted you, from rds100, I personally replied you with more than just a page, an online tool to check IPs.
    Of course, there are so called bridges, or enter nodes, where ppl can dial in to access the network, because it is trivial for any ISP to block a list of public IPs, and they dont appear int he list, but since you asked for exit-nodes, you had all the answer you needed, more so, you pretended that there are no IPs there, then other ppl pointed you out to them, you admitted you see them just that the page loads too slow so I pointed you to a tool for quick check.

@Maounique said: KuJoe, just above, says he blocked the non-exit nodes because, among other things, he would be forced to spy on ppl to enforce that, so he has absolutely no idea that all those are public and he only needs to open a page and CTRL+F the suspected IP, it does involve a lot of man hours for that, as well as clicking the suspend button if there is an exit node there.

Which page is this exactly and how accurate is it? If it's truly as easy as you say I am all ears. I could have sworn I asked this same question earlier in this thread and the only answer I found was to open their config file.

@rds100 said: KuJoe February 6 FlagThanks

What's the best way to determine if an exit node is running without opening config files?

-Joe @ SecureDragon

rds100 February 6 FlagThanks
    @Kujoe Maybe compare the IP against this list http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ip_list_exit.php

-Joe @ SecureDragon
    xonion February 26 FlagThanks
    Don't know about the accuracy, but you can get a list (CSV export available) of nodes here: torstatus.blutmagie.de

I don't see IPs, just hostnames on that page. I hope there is something more official.

-Joe @ SecureDragon

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
    miTgiB February 26 FlagThanks
    @KuJoe I see IP's and hostnames on http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ and when you click the IP it brings up swip info. Found 2 Tor nodes on my IP space, they have been warned.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
    I see them now. Is it just me or does that page take forever to load? Is there a US-based mirror by chance?

-Joe @ SecureDragon
    Maounique February 26 Flag
    http://metrics.torproject.org/exonerator.html

So, again, which question wasnt answered ? Do we really need to continue with the lies and only hope for the tl;dr ppl to come help us ?
    Be careful what kind of customers you are dreaming of, for you may get them.
    M

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

I am still waiting for an answer because my mind reading abilities are not as developed as yours are...

edited February 2012

haha, let me tell you another joke:
    Why are the cops walking in teams of 3 ?
    One knows how to read, another how to write and the third is guarding the 2 intelectuals.
    I think we have here a cop that knows how to write. We only need to find another that knows how to read, because lynch mob to protect the intelectuals can be found easily in the tl;dr crowd for which reading is a very serious challenge.
    M

• @KuJoe - with Naruto (thankfully) MIA, I suppose now we know who the prime candidate for Troll of the Month will be.

I honestly thought this chap was 'dr'mike at first... way too aggressive, though. And he doesn't back up and sit down after a good backhand.

This discussion has been closed.