Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IS hostsolutions.ro down? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IS hostsolutions.ro down?

13»

Comments

• RedSoxRedSox Member

@Skura said:
    please close this thread

Is your VPS working right now?

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited May 2020

@jsg said:

@PHDan said:

MikePT said: This was an isolated event, sadly, a power outage.

Took out both the A and B sides? Or did the 10 year old 300W ATX power supply finally pop it's caps?

A power out on a node/dedi virtually always translates to "single power supply" - as opposed to 2+ power supplies.
    AFAIC that shouldn't happen even with cheap providers. But obviously and sadly it does happen that providers risk damage to their reputation to save peanuts on a power supply.

You pay a few bucks a month for a VPS and expect redundant power supplies? That's not realistic. You get what you pay for.

If you go with Hostsolutions you go for the low price, not for the reliability.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2020

@marvel said:
    You pay a few bucks a month for a VPS and expect redundant power supplies? That's not realistic. You get what you pay for.

No. I just recently purchased a Fujitsu RX300 S7 with dual 2670 (8C) processors, 64 GB memory, a halfway decent SAS/SATA Raid controller (incl. 5, 50, 6, 60 lic.), and a Mellanox 10 Gb/s controller, and 4 drive caddies for € 360. It also has dual 80+ Platinum (!) power supplies.

A friend of mine purchased a Dell R620 with very similar specs and also dual power supplies at a similar price at the same dealer.

And I looked again at the available machines. Virtually all of them come with dual power supplies. Simple reason: the former owners who purchased those systems new virtually always go for dual power supplies.

TL;DR hosters save next to nothing when buying machines with single PS. They save by not buying 1 like me but 10 or even more machines.

If you go with Hostsolutions you go for the low price, not for the reliability.

True. But then, even the lowest end providers want and need to offer a reasonable minimum level of reliability. Keep in mind that lack of min. rel. also translates to more maintenance work which actually is expensive.

Btw, the cost of reliability doesn't rise in a linear way. Up to 95% and even up to 99% it's ridiculously cheap, What's costly is to get closer to five nines, both for systems and for DCs.

That is not to say that some low end providers don't play the "cost saving" game to the ridiculous level, but frankly, saving on dual PS IMO is plain stupid and saves virtually nothing.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @jsg said:
    True. But then, even the lowest end providers want and need to offer a reasonable minimum level of reliability.

Well, Hostsolutions is known for its unreliability and no communication whatsoever. They are known to ignore ticket for weeks, event months. I can understand your concern if they are new provider. But they are not.

It's like buying a server that is known to break every once in a while, and yet you still buy it. At this point, you can't really complain when the server break.

When he start his business a few years back, and problem like this arise. ALL OF LET united to roast @cociu along with his renglish.

Now people just lower their expectation, you buy from cociu, you don't expect reliability. even $3 / year of @cam has more reliability than @cociu. That is how unreliable Hostsolution is.

Most People just use it as a backup of backup backup anyway.

Also since when @MikePT works for @cociu , I though he was just trolling.

Thanked by 1sweatbar
  • @jsg said:
    AFAIC that shouldn't happen even with cheap providers. But obviously and sadly it does happen that providers risk damage to their reputation to save peanuts on a power supply.

That's assuming the provider still has its reputation to uphold. Hostsolution has an outstanding reputation to not give a shit about its reputation.

"You don't like me ? here is your refund, go elsewhere"

edited May 2020

@yokowasis Part 1

Well, Hostsolutions is known for its unreliability and no communication whatsoever. They are known to ignore ticket for weeks, event months. I can understand your concern if they are new provider. But they are not.

My point isn't to praise HostSolutions, certainly not and I fully agree that extremely poor communication/lousy support has been (it got considerably better since @MikePT joined their support) a major problem.

But I don't think that one becomes a mid-size player from zero if one doesn't have a brain. From what I see @cociu did calculate, and not stupidly, although he miscalculated re support; it seems though that he has understood that and hence got MikePT on board. As for his hardware and network he brutally kept costs low. But he did increase bandwidth and quality afaik.

And hey, his calculation did work from what I see. He did become a not at all small player. He found enough customers - that also means that we must not point only at him. He offered a certain kind of product and there were many who bought it.

Part 2 (the other post)

One always has a reputation; it might be a very bad one but one has one. Plus, cociu managed to get very well known around here. And anyway no matter his reputation he always finds plenty customers.

As for his "cold" cut offs ("you don't like it? Go elsewhere") I think there are 2 factors at play, (a) it's a form of (maybe strange) honesty and afaik he always properly refunds people, and (b) brutal efficiency. Letting go and refunding customers (or even not getting them) simply is more efficient than long discussions plus he aims for many (cheap) clients and even a loss rate of a couple percent is acceptable, even more so as he seems to have more potential clients than products.

Well noted, this is not saying that I like that. It's just an attempt to understand HostSolutions.

And btw, now with thousands of clients and a not small anymore operation he might begin to enhance material and operations. Iff he happened to go that route, say good bye to quite a few providers here because that would be very hard to beat except for some (few) providers who are mid-size to large themselves and/or who are known to be really good quality like e.g. @Clouvider

Thanked by 2Clouvider raynor
  • @jsg as an old man who cut his teeth on Apple II, Atari 400, Commodore 64 back in the day - I've seen a lot. It never ceases to amaze me that people always have an opinion on how to run someone elses business, how to spend their money, how they should act, how they should move forward, what they should do next. It freaking never ends. Enhancing operations and support at the prices he charges is no trivial matter. But of course you will write walls of text saying everything he should do. But you know what - He is doing, just not your doing. He made his choice and is doing. As far a I can tell you seem to have a fine career elsewhere putting your talents to use and dont have a low end host. He does, and made his choices. Build your own and make your own choices.

edited May 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    @jsg as an old man who cut his teeth on Apple II, Atari 400, Commodore 64 back in the day - I've seen a lot. It never ceases to amaze me that people always have an opinion on how to run someone elses business, how to spend their money, how they should act, how they should move forward, what they should do next. It freaking never ends. Enhancing operations and support at the prices he charges is no trivial matter. But of course you will write walls of text saying everything he should do. But you know what - He is doing, just not your doing. He made his choice and is doing. As far a I can tell you seem to have a fine career elsewhere putting your talents to use and dont have a low end host. He does, and made his choices. Build your own and make your own choices.

Sorry to disappoint you but I neither have plans to enter the hosting business nor am I interested in providing unsolicited advice to HostSolutions or any other provider on how to run their business.

I even clearly said that I'm interested in understanding how they tick - but you are of course free to read into my post whatever you please.

P.S. Strange. Usually @cociu says a word or two in threads re. HostSolutions. This time he didn't. Strange.

Edit: It just struck me that some might think that me buying a server means I am or I'm going into hosting. No, I don't.
    The reason is my benchmarking. Until now I didn't own a physical server (the kind that hosters use e.g. for VPSs), so I decided to buy one for extensive testing and experiments and as some kind of reference too. This will allow me to enhance my benchmark for v. 2.0 and to test and examine other benchmarks vs. a physical reference system.
    Yes, I could have done that with a dedi too but I feel more confident having a physical box here.

• PHDanPHDan Member

@Unbelievable I'm even older and it never ceases to amaze me that someone will come to a discussion forum and bitch about people discussing things.

Did you get your free DMCA ignored torrent box from Coo-Coo-Coicu for your handjob post?

• Is hostsolutions.ro down again? My VPS 1TB storage has down for 3 days. :-(

• D3n3yD3n3y Member

2 vps up,
    1 vps for 3 days down.

Thanked by 1Oiko2019
  • momkinmomkin Member

@Oiko2019 said:
    Is hostsolutions.ro down again? My VPS 1TB storage has down for 3 days. :-(

You are late to the party :
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/171566/cociu-hostsolutions-ro-netsilvania-bankruptcy-dead-pool#latest

Thanked by 1Oiko2019
  • @momkin said:

@Oiko2019 said:
    Is hostsolutions.ro down again? My VPS 1TB storage has down for 3 days. :-(

You are late to the party :
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/171566/cociu-hostsolutions-ro-netsilvania-bankruptcy-dead-pool#latest

Damn, I did not see it before.

• 2 storage vps have down for 3 days... :|

Thanked by 1Oiko2019
  • JorboxJorbox Member

For me I ordered the server because the price for 3 years was interesting,
    but from the first downtime I took offline backups for everything,
    if he didn't reply just move on because you have learned a lesson, Backup Always!.

• RedzoneRedzone Member

Same down for 3 days