Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ Web Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ Web Panel

lukasubolukasubo Member
edited November 2013 in General

https://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-panel/

This is WAY better that SolusVM. It's WAY more functional, it asks for the root password before reinstall for added security AND you can start/stop/reboot multiple servers at a time! It's amazing! Thanks, @drservers !

Comments

• Ew, it's in ruby on rails.

• lukasubolukasubo Member
    edited November 2013

@black said:
    Ew, it's in ruby on rails.

Sure, that's a disadvantage, but I think that it makes up for it by being

• better
    • more secure (you need the root password to reinstall the OS on the VPS)
    • cheaper (free)

and

• less of a target for hackers

than SolusVM.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

I don't see ruby as disadvantage...

• @drserver said:
    I don't see ruby as disadvantage...

Really, neither do I, except the fact that it's really not lightweight. :)

• Just because it asks you to set a root password for a reinstall makes it more secure overall?

edited November 2013

The only problem with the panel is the built-in console, but that's no big deal.

• @fizzyjoe908 said:
    Just because it asks you to set a root password for a reinstall makes it more secure overall?

No, I was thinking that if a hacker breaks into the panel, he still needs to know your root password to do any real damage.

• @lukasubo said:

This is WAY better that SolusVM. WAY more functional,

Problem is there is no way to manage bandwidth from the panel, there was a topic about this free panel not too long ago.

edited November 2013

@earl said:
    Problem is there is no way to manage bandwidth from the panel, there was a topic about this free panel not too long ago.

Ah, sorry, I didn't notice. I'm using the panel as a customer, not an admin.

@earl that is only thing that is really missing from panel to be possibly best one.

• @drserver said:
    earl that is only thing that is really missing from panel to be possibly best one.

By the way, your custom panel is awesome!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Ruby isn't really a problem...until it breaks and you aren't a ruby developer. There's not a lot of wiggle room on ruby. You either get it or you don't. I know I don't. If you don't, I wouldn't rely much on it.

• @drserver said:
    earl that is only thing that is really missing from panel to be possibly best one.

Well That, and the fact that it only does OVZ..

If a free panel has all the features and offers more security, then I highly doubt that everyone would pay to use solusvm..

edited November 2013

@Zen said:
    It's good software, but it has stability issues and eats up resources like there's no tomorrow.

Cough not cough as cough bad cough as cough java cough.

• anyone have a demo setup that people could test out or try out?

or PM me if possible.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

I thought Feathur > ovz web panel. but ok.

• @Saiku said:
    I thought Feathur > ovz web panel. but ok.

I think that Feathur has a nicer UI (User Interface), but I can't comment on its UX (User Experience) because I've never used it.

• feathur seems awesome, but ive had probs installing ... im a try this out this week to see how easy their 1 step install is.

• Feathur is free for personal use, and supports TUN/TAP, PPP, iptables, and other nice stuff all from the panel easily.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

Has anybody ran any tests how much resources does Proxmox use? OpenVZ Web Panel? Feathur? Each one has different features and pros and cons, to be sure, however, I think it would be nice to know how lightweight (or not!) each one is...

EDIT: I have a clean install Proxmox running on a 4GB KVM with 8 vCPU's. No containers/VM's set up yet. Running idle a few days, consumes ~512MB RAM. After reboot this goes down to ~330MB RAM.

I don't list SolusVM here, which is, IMHO, at present in a class by itself (disclaimer: this is not to say that any of the above are not feature rich or feasible alternatives/replacements).

• @aglodek said:

For what it's worth.. I have installed proxmox on a 256MB VPS. Seems to run just fine, not sure bout the other panels.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said: For what it's worth.. I have installed proxmox on a 256MB VPS.

Nice :) But what's the point in running Proxmox on a 256MB VM? I should think at least
    1GB RAM for any practical virtualization application? I would go with at least 2GB RAM, reserving ~25% of resources for virtualization overhead, leaving 1.5GB RAM for a few OpenVZ containers with applications. Otherwise what's the point? Proxmox seems to fit the bill nicely. However, OpenVZ Web Panel (assuming you want to run OpenVZ containers only) seems to have more features. Question is how much resources does it consume? Ditto re Feathur...?

• @aglodek said:

I was probably mucking about with promox.. it's easier to reinstall proxmox on a VPS then messing about on a dedi.. that is if you don't have IPMI or automatic reload..

• Proxmox runs on the main node itself, in fact, it is the node. How about OpenVZ Web Panel? Can it be installed inside one of the containers (created using vzctl) to manage the whole node?

• @aglodek said:
    Proxmox runs on the main node itself, in fact, it is the node. How about OpenVZ Web Panel? Can it be installed inside one of the containers (created using vzctl) to manage the whole node?

Well you can do a nested proxmox.. I have no problem installing proxmox as a KVM guest inside of proxmox also if you have an AMD CPU you can technically install another KVM guest inside of the nested proxmox.. somewhat experimental but too slow to be practical.

I think I installed openvz web panel as a OVZ guest in proxmox as well.. works ok if I recall

@lukasubo said:
    By the way, your custom panel is awesome!

It is built on openvz web panel api and added offsite backup functionality, basic billing and ticketing support, it is not fully production ready. Maybe month or two for hardcore testing and some new features will see light of the day.

Zen said: Easily possible to implement, though. IPTABLES. I've done my own bandwidth accounting many times now and it really isn't that hard at all.

@Zen I have iptables traffic accounting already but it is not integrated fully into openvz web panel, i am using it on external one mentioned above

earl said: Well That, and the fact that it only does OVZ..

I agree 100% on that.

I am running master on dedicated machine which have only ovz panel and billing on it. I cant see any resources shortage. It is working like charm for maybe 2 years.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@earl said: Well you can do a nested proxmox.. I have no problem installing proxmox as a KVM guest inside of proxmox also if you have an AMD CPU you can technically install another KVM guest inside of the nested proxmox.. somewhat experimental but too slow to be practical. I think I installed openvz web panel as a OVZ guest in proxmox as well.. works ok if I recall

Sorry for not being clear: I was asking about running OWP (OpenVZ Web Panel) inside a container to manage the OpenVZ node, on which said container with OWP is running. Kind of like SolusVM ;)

• @aglodek

Not sure I can comprehend what you are trying to achieve? OWZ is just a CP for administering openvz, so if you can install openvz you can install OWZ on top of it..

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@earl: I was asking whether it was possible to use OWP to manage an OpenVZ node from "outside" the node, that is to say OWP running inside one of the containers and NOT on the OpenVZ node itself.

• @aglodek said:
    earl: I was asking whether it was possible to use OWP to manage an OpenVZ node from "outside" the node, that is to say OWP running inside one of the containers and NOT on

the OpenVZ node itself.

Do you mean clustering like solusvm master slave setup? to be honest never really played around with this panel much since I prefer proxmox.. but I don't think it's possible.. maybe someone more familiar with this panel can chime in..

Thanked by 1aglodek