Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner and fake abuse repports - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner and fake abuse repports

124»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2021

@skorupion said: You may have been with 100 servers at most, they on the other hand run multiple data centers each having thousands of servers, in which there are a lot of VMs

At the time i was larger than Contabo, i think they didnt even exist yet - 8 racks, 12Gbit BW (in 2009-2011 that was a LOT in Asia), 75000 IPv4 (a /16 plus some), few thousand VMs. 25% profit margin, few 100k/year.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@William said:

@skorupion said: You may have been with 100 servers at most, they on the other hand run multiple data centers each having thousands of servers, in which there are a lot of VMs

At the time i was larger than Contabo, i think they didnt even exist yet - 8 racks, 12Gbit BW (in 2009-2011 that was a LOT in Asia), 75000 IPv4 (a /16 plus some), few thousand VMs. 25% profit margin, few 100k/year.

AT THE TIME. They grew a SH*T load ton from back then.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2021

yes, and i sold and went into another business.

edited April 2021

@William said:

Thanks for not being an ass**le and not doing an exit scam :3

• FalzoFalzo Member

@skorupion said:

@William said:

how would you know? you were <5 by then 🤷‍♂️😁

@Falzo said:

@skorupion said:

@William said:

how would you know? you were <5 by then 🤷‍♂️😁

6 :lol: born in 2005 and they left in 2011 so true :lol:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I can't comment on Contabo's way to deal with abuse complaints (due to lack of personal experience) but I can mention 2 things I find amazing - and not in a positive way:

• In the very thread where one major provider, @Hetzner_OL, is slammed for taking any and every abuse accusation seriously and creating real problems for their legit customers ... another heavy-weight provider, @contabo_m is accused of not being harsh enough. Funny.
    • I value @jar's insights but I'm afraid this time he was wrong with his prediction. We are way beyond tuesday and there is still not even a statement from Hetzner.

If I had to choose whom to trust more it would certainly not be Hetzner. And I'd take a Contabo system every day and twice on sundays before I considered to play Hetzner's "now you have a system and now you don't" lottery.

Thanked by 2skorupion jar
  • @William said:

At that time it was a lot, now it would be a small summer host congrats :D
    Also times have changed, now every stupid fail2ban installation spams the crap out of your abuse@ so having 10.000+ abuse mails is not much by todays standards i guess even your summer host would reach that today.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited April 2021

Since I haven't read of any random termination or other crazy stuff from them based on fake abuse i clearly prefer contabos approach.

• @jsg said:
    I can't comment on Contabo's way to deal with abuse complaints (due to lack of personal experience) but I can mention 2 things I find amazing - and not in a positive way:

Actually, they're pretty clean:
    https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/contabo.de (1 SBL listing)

Famous UCEprotect Level 3 Escalation limit by Impacts:

• 105 (Contabo)
    • 1021 (Hetzner)

Hetzner 2M IPs, Contabo 200k.

Basically Contabo has the same amount of abuses as Hetzner has but if that's correct then Hetzner having about 100k abuses each month?

Probably abuse department at Hetzner every day dealing with about ~3k abuses. Wow!

Of course, Hetzner with their behavior handling abuses isn't a how business should work but looks like the management are pretty happy with it thus no reply.

They even didn't reply at another thread. Hetzner promised IP rdns for Load Balancers before getting out of beta but hey, they don't give a fuck about it anymore.

A lot of clients - more money pump but this will eventually end.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jsg said:
    We are way beyond tuesday and there is still not even a statement from Hetzner.

I’d guess at this stage that they’ve determined that involvement cannot result in an outcome more positive than a lack of it, and that it’s more likely to only fan the flames.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited April 2021

Well a statement like: "We know all of that but staffing the abuse department to be able to handle abuse professional is more expensive than losing some customers" would not help indeed.
    They could add a wheel of fortune ehm doom to their website and the customer has to take a spin on every abuse mail :D

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2021

@skorupion said: 6 born in 2005 and they left in 2011 so true

I was also only 19 in 2011 ;)

@user54321 said: At that time it was a lot, now it would be a small summer host congrats

Based on growth and tech back then i'd probably do Nx100G and an entire DC by now :)

@user54321 said: Also times have changed, now every stupid fail2ban installation spams the crap out of your abuse@ so having 10.000+ abuse mails is not much by todays standards i guess even your summer host would reach that today.

Please, back then i got hundreds of thousands P2P notices every month. Non personal abuse went directly to /dev/null.

I only read DMCAs (for fun) and acted on chuild abuse.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2021

(double)