Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hostdoc is closing - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hostdoc is closing

Comments

• dahartigan said: It contains 2.3% Australian potassium, so it can't be terrible.

I've only tried vegemite in England, but I can only assume it's just as terrible down under.

I really like to eat, very few things I won't touch...celery, cilantro... I would have to add vegemite to that list. Fortunately, it's not a big seller here in the states.

• @FootKaput said:

dahartigan said: It contains 2.3% Australian potassium, so it can't be terrible.

I've only tried vegemite in England, but I can only assume it's just as terrible down under.

I really like to eat, very few things I won't touch...celery, cilantro... I would have to add vegemite to that list. Fortunately, it's not a big seller here in the states.

Haha, it's an acquired taste for sure. My wife is from Canada and she can't stand even the smell of vegemite. Must be a crazy aussie thing :-)

• Vegemite chronicles

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @FootKaput said:

dahartigan said: It contains 2.3% Australian potassium, so it can't be terrible.

No we have "Impossible Meat" which is just your lawn mashed into burger shape and flavored to taste like ass crack.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2020

@AuroraZ said:
    No we have "Impossible Meat" which is just your lawn mashed into burger shape and flavored to taste like ass crack.

Finally a full recycling cycle has been achieved! And stop already to talk so discriminatingly, you un-woke binary man!

... * antroposophically gender-fluidly dancing "woke peace is to extinguish anyone with a differing view" *

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

As fun as it is to have a bargain deal, you would need to consider whether it is sustainable for the provider in the long run. If it is not, one way or another, incidents will happen.

Let this thread be another good example to stay away from these deals.

Money matters.

seriesn said: Let's talk about the meaning of life.

Ah, what is it?

• @MechanicWeb said:
    As fun as it is to have a bargain deal, you would need to consider whether it is sustainable for the provider in the long run. If it is not, one way or another, incidents will happen.

Let this thread be another good example to stay away from these deals.

Money matters.

seriesn said: Let's talk about the meaning of life.

Ah, what is it?

The digit 2 preceded by 4

Thanked by 1bikegremlin

vyas11 said: The digit 2 preceded by 4

Wasn't that an intentional attempt to inflict confusion?

@MechanicWeb said:

Pardon me, but NO, we do not have to consider that. The providers have to consider that.

Whether it's smart to look for yet another dollar less is another question and one that only a few ponder.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jsg said:

@MechanicWeb said:

Pardon me, but NO, we do not have to consider that. The providers have to consider that.

Whether it's smart to look for yet another dollar less is another question and one that only a few ponder.

But - ultimately the community enables such hosts. Community gets excited to see unsustainable stuff. New hosts oblige. Now hosts die. Community gets burned. Rinse and repeat so often.

Thanked by 2Zare seriesn
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2020

community was drunk and dressed like a slut

@Clouvider said:
    But - ultimately the community enables such hosts. Community gets excited to see unsustainable stuff. New hosts oblige. Now hosts die. Community gets burned. Rinse and repeat so often.

Absolutely! That's why people should keep in mind that at the end of the day they will carry the consequences of their actions - not "the community". Or, put differently: community is (often strikingly obviously) no replacement for thinking and responsibility. Neither for providers nor for customers.

• @Clouvider said:
    But - ultimately the community enables such hosts. Community gets excited to see unsustainable stuff.

You say that like customers have the slightest clue what sustainable stuff is, or are somehow privy to the financials of their hosts or the industry.

Customers see deals offered. Customers buy. Customers expect the person offering the deals knows what they are doing.

Customers aren't the bad guys in this.

• LeeLee Veteran

riot said: Customers aren't the bad guys in this.

They absolutely are on this site, the vast majority who come to LET/LEB are not clueless about pricing or sustainability. Whats more, they come back time and time again to get burnt.

Any 'clueless' people that do stumble on this site don't do so without having some knowledge of pricing elsewhere.

So if people cannot ask themselves "why is this only $2 for an entire year?" then they need the lesson that will come to them in most cases.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2020

The customers are absolutely the vein of all troubles incurring on LET.

Their desire for unsustainable deals, just because it sounds like "awesome deals", have caused premature ejaculation for many summer hosts.

In fact, I wouldn't call these "customers". They are out to get you. They pay 0.99 a year for an account and they scream death when it goes down for more than few minutes.

• @Lee said:

riot said: Customers aren't the bad guys in this.

They absolutely are on this site, the vast majority who come to LET/LEB are not clueless about pricing or sustainability. Whats more, they come back time and time again to get burnt.

Any 'clueless' people that do stumble on this site don't do so without having some knowledge of pricing elsewhere.

So if people cannot ask themselves "why is this only $2 for an entire year?" then they need the lesson that will come to them in most cases.

The problem with that is these aren't $2/year, that's trivializing it somewhat. Anyway, who would support a business with the attitude that it's always the customer's fault?

If there's downwards pressure from the community, it's entirely up to the providers to make the call as to whether it's beneficial to the business.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

dahartigan said: The problem with that is these aren't $2/year, that's trivializing it somewhat. Anyway, who would support a business with the attitude that it's always the customer's fault?

Ok, so if people cannot ask themselves "Do I know enough to give this company $250 of my money in a single upfront payment?".

The answer is? No in the vast majority of cases.

dahartigan said: If there's downwards pressure from the community,it's entirely up to the providers to make the call as to whether it's beneficial to the business.

And the call that they make? Make it cheaper, nobody will buy from them until its cheaper, making a profit comes 2nd to just getting customers at whatever cost.

Members here know fine well what they are doing and the risks they are taking, all I am saying is don't make them out to be clueless.

• I see PoV of "unsustainable deals" and scammy providers, however how about the Doc's case? Before purchasing, I checked for many threads here in LET and most of the time, ppl said good things. And their deals are not really the cheapest since there are several well-known providers in EU might do the similar (see the NVMe deal from UltraVPS, and from Avoro and PHP-Friends?). So how can we as customers can "evaluate" if a deal is "unsustainable deal"?

The HostDoc case is something similar to the ZXHost 2 years ago, they were good for a long period, then they disappeared. I also lost several 3-year ZXHost services without any refund. And now the HostDoc with several yearly services and pre-paid credit.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

nhocconan said: So how can we as customers can "evaluate" if a deal is "unsustainable deal"?

That is up to you the customer, there are a ton of providers out there 10 years or more, offer great deals. Why don't people use them? Too expensive by LET standards.

It's like bashing your head on a brick wall on LET though, I mean so many continue to buy from CC and their shills, it will never change, cheap is king.

/s

• @Lee said:

nhocconan said: So how can we as customers can "evaluate" if a deal is "unsustainable deal"?

That is up to you the customer, there are a ton of providers out there 10 years or more, offer great deals. Why don't people use them? Too expensive by LET standards.

It's like bashing your head on a brick wall on LET though, I mean so many continue to buy from CC and their shills, it will never change, cheap is king.

So the answer is to not buy from new providers? That seems a bit silly also.

• Lee said: That is up to you the customer, there are a ton of providers out there 10 years or more, offer great deals. Why don't people use them? Too expensive by LET standards.

I won't refuse the fact that most of the buyers joining LET due to its price, and I agree that there are a ton of good providers out there. I myself keep learning from mistakes, and at least I have not put anything important in most cheap LE* services as well as saying no to CC shills.

What I want to mention is how to evaluate if a "new" provider is good enough to join, and what is the suggestion for most LET users to not falling into the same trap. What I did is checking their reviews, their history of providing services, and do some comparison with some other (cheap) offers to see if they are worth to try. I do not have a deep knowledge of the industry to do the calculation if a deal is unsustainable or not.

Even most LE* services are for idle, I still do not want to lose money without learning anything :-)

@Lee said:
    They absolutely are on this site, the vast majority who come to LET/LEB are not clueless about pricing or sustainability.

Usually communities have about 1 active (registered, writing) user per 50 - 500 readers. So I'm not sure that your statement is tenable. It seems to me that we know next to nothing about the vast majority of people who buy based on Let info/ads/reviews/...

It's good to see a lot of constructive argument regarding the hosting price.

Bottoming up isn't good for anybody. By these discussions, unaware people will have a chance to become more aware.

riot said: You say that like customers have the slightest clue what sustainable stuff is, or are somehow privy to the financials of their hosts or the industry.

You won't need the financial details.

Just ask yourself, would you sell the same hosting package to your customers for the price the provider is charging?

Customers aren't the bad guys in this.

By any means, no. Unfortunately, they are the ones get burned.

nhocconan said: And their deals are not really the cheapest since there are several well-known providers in EU might do the similar (see the NVMe deal from UltraVPS, and from Avoro and PHP-Friends?). So how can we as customers can "evaluate" if a deal is "unsustainable deal"?

Many big providers have fallen in the past. One way or another, if the price doesn't leave any profit for the provider, there is going to be circumstances, either the quality will drop, or the company will get sold, or stop their business.

At the end, the clients will suffer in all of those cases.

nhocconan said: What I want to mention is how to evaluate if a "new" provider is good enough to join, and what is the suggestion for most LET users to not falling into the same trap.

Most of the reviews are biased - either based on personal experiences or affiliate commissions.

Make contact. Open a ticket and ask some pre-sales questions. The answer will give a lot of hints whether the provider would be a good choice for you or not.

• @MechanicWeb said:

riot said: You say that like customers have the slightest clue what sustainable stuff is, or are somehow privy to the financials of their hosts or the industry.

You won't need the financial details.

Just ask yourself, would you sell the same hosting package to your customers for the price the provider is charging?

This is my point: how TF can customers know whether they could, would, or should sell a service for the price that is being offered? It's not like everybody knows what a fully equipped blade server chassis, colo, network connectivity, software, staff, etc costs per month, or the target service level. We ARE customers, we don't sell TO customers. :)

nhocconan said: What I want to mention is how to evaluate if a "new" provider is good enough to join, and what is the suggestion for most LET users to not falling into the same trap.

Most of the reviews are biased - either based on personal experiences or affiliate commissions.

Make contact. Open a ticket and ask some pre-sales questions. The answer will give a lot of hints whether the provider would be a good choice for you or not.

Care to start everyone off with a few possible pre-sales questions and answers that would help customers to avoid being caught up in fiascos such as these? :)

• @MechanicWeb said:
    It's good to see a lot of constructive argument regarding the hosting price.

How would you make an unbiased review? Do you think it is possible?
    In my opinion, personal experience is as good as it gets. Preferably by a current customer - since things with providers can change over time.

edited February 2020

@bikegremlin said:
    How would you make an unbiased review? Do you think it is possible?

100% unbiased? No, not possible for us humans. But 97+% unbiased, that is feasible if one has a neutral objectively verifiable "skeleton" or "ruler". That's why all my reviews have 2 components, (a) a benchmark that checks the VPS and collects values, and (b) my observations, thoughts, etc.

And I think being humans we actually need both components because we are wired like that.
    It seems that some kind of "financial health check" might be useful to add but that's not at all my field.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin uptime
  • When it costs less then a McDonald's coffee and dollar sandwich it probably is not going to last long.

Some providers run limited stock at these prices, and make up a little on the regular services. Some call these promos, others call these loss leaders. What ever you call them they are limited and not regular pricing.

Lately I have seen a few providers here running promos I would not touch with a ten foot pole. I have no idea where their numbers are coming from, but they make no sense to me, and that is where common sense steps in and makes an appearance.

You know what electricity and what not cost you per month, imagine what it costs them. You know what it costs to colo a server, you know what hardware costs, all this can be found out right here.

Your judgement of situations must also be taken into account, and use your head for something other then a hat rack.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • AuroraZ said: and use your head for something other then a hat rack.

Make no sense.

Thanked by 2uptime TimboJones
  • off-tupac

spamers!

I am need fully managed lowendbox review service

up to $20

Thanked by 2dahartigan poisson
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

AuroraZ said: and use your head for something other then a hat rack.

Make no sense.

Makes perfect sense when you consider most people don't/won't use their brains. They use their head to put a hat on it and nothing else. Same thing a hatrack does. It is a very old expression in the U.S.