Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc are closing down - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc are closing down

Comments

• @iTDave said:
    Any body got a refund yet??

still not yet, be patient :smiley:

• iTDave said: Any body got a refund yet??

Only the trustworthy reports of

dahartigan said: I'm getting trustworthy reports of refunds for services purchased recently.

I'll be real surprised if refunds happen. I expect since @hostdoc is not responding anymore the chargebacks and fees from those less patient will blow up his paypal account shortly.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

FrankZ said: I'll be real surprised if refunds happen. I expect since @hostdoc is not responding anymore the chargebacks and fees from those less patient will blow up his paypal account shortly.

Honestly if he gets enough it could cause his account to be locked.

He has 2 years of history on the account but depending on his chargeback rate during those times it's possible he'll get knocked quick.

Francisco

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @FrankZ said:

iTDave said: Any body got a refund yet??

Only the trustworthy reports of

dahartigan said: I'm getting trustworthy reports of refunds for services purchased recently.

I'll be real surprised if refunds happen. I expect since @hostdoc is not responding anymore the chargebacks and fees from those less patient will blow up his paypal account shortly.

So nobody's heard anything from the doc? I know that anyone who ordered on or about the shutdown time was refunded immediately. There's a post over on LES where someone stated they received a refund almost immediately after a purchase.

Has it been a week yet? I assume he's covering this out of his weekly (another assumption) wage from his day job..

I'm not gonna lie.. I'm getting worried he's done a complete runner.. only because he seems uncharacteristically unresponsive and unreachable.

• I purchased 5 or 6 days before hostdoc closed, Ticketed within a hour of the email, and still have not received a response. So excuse me if I have a hard time with "I know that anyone who ordered on or about the shutdown time was refunded immediately."
    How do you know this ?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@FrankZ said:
    I purchased 5 or 6 days before hostdoc closed, Ticketed within a hour of the email, and still have not received a response. So excuse me if I have a hard time with "I know that anyone who ordered on or about the shutdown time was refunded immediately."
    How do you know this ?

Because he used to work there.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2020

Jord said: Because he used to work there.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was under the impression that he was no longer a Host Rep for the Doc when the email went out on Feb 2nd

EDIT: I had this impression due to the first comment in the January 28 Whitelist de-listing: HostDoc thread

dahartigan said: This is probably a good time to announce that I'm not associated with HostDoc for a while now, and this has actually made me decide to cancel my services.

• Everyone, gather your pitch forks and prepare for refound by chargeback.

I haven't heard from the doc and his live chat goes unanswered (he still hasn't removed my email notifications from tawk when there are unanswered chats) that's how I know he's inactive.

I know that (sorry mate) @AlwaysSkint got his refunded right away.
    I now know that other people weren't as lucky from reports here and over on LES.

And that's all I know. Do with that what you will, people. I honestly don't know how much more helpful I can be with this. It sucks but the doc has gone quiet and seems to have done a runner.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @dahartigan said:
    Everyone, gather your pitch forks and prepare for refound by chargeback.

I haven't heard from the doc and his live chat goes unanswered (he still hasn't removed my email notifications from tawk when there are unanswered chats) that's how I know he's inactive.

I now know that other people weren't as lucky from reports here and over on LES.

And that's all I know. Do with that what you will, people. I honestly don't know how much more helpful I can be with this. It sucks but the doc has gone quiet and seems to have done a runner.

Are u serious ?

• dahartigan said: And that's all I know. Do with that what you will, people. I honestly don't know how much more helpful I can be with this. It sucks but the doc has gone quiet and seems to have done a runner.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @isunbejo said:

@dahartigan said:
    Everyone, gather your pitch forks and prepare for refound by chargeback.

Are u serious ?

I'm not joking. That's my observation and opinion. I could be completely wrong or I could be chillingly correct. I don't suggest holding hope at this stage.

• I can also attest to this! He has not responded to my refund request as well. What should I do? Thats a waste of a $100.

• I mean it isn't too hard to copy and paste a generic response that he is aware of the situation, so I am not sure what is going on too.

• This is really an unsettling situation...

• isunbejoisunbejo Member
    edited February 2020

@kennsann said:
    I can also attest to this! He has not responded to my refund request as well. What should I do? Thats a waste of a $100.

One of my services vps here VPS LA4 annually payment €100, and also @HostDoc not respond ticket for canceled services and request refund since received email from @HostDoc.

Other services like SG node only monthly payment.

• @kennsann said:
    I can also attest to this! He has not responded to my refund request as well. What should I do? Thats a waste of a $100.

Are you within a chargeback/dispute timeframe?

@poisson said:
    I mean it isn't too hard to copy and paste a generic response that he is aware of the situation, so I am not sure what is going on too.

Maybe he'll blast an email out to his customers in reference to this thread (like his previous emails lol)

• dahartigan said: prepare for refound by chargeback

Sucks if that's true. I'm a month overdue for a paypal dispute window and have no leverage in this situation.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@aidaho said:

dahartigan said: prepare for refound by chargeback

Sucks if that's true. I'm a month overdue for a paypal dispute window and have no leverage in this situation.

Call your credit card provider

• kennsannkennsann Member
    edited February 2020

@dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

Are you within a chargeback/dispute timeframe?

@poisson said:
    I mean it isn't too hard to copy and paste a generic response that he is aware of the situation, so I am not sure what is going on too.

Maybe he'll blast an email out to his customers in reference to this thread (like his previous emails lol)

I think I am, good thing I used paypal. I'll probably file a claim once the server really goes down and the doc doesn't respond anymore. He might be tending to his "mental health," so let's give him some time..

Thanked by 2uptime AlwaysSkint
  • It can take a while, to pull out of Meltdown Mode (TM) - I know this.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    It can take a while, to pull out of Meltdown Mode (TM) - I know this.

The Spectre after that can linger for a while too.

Thanked by 2uptime AlwaysSkint
  • Thanked by 1uptime
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    It can take a while, to pull out of Meltdown Mode (TM) - I know this.

This would be the one exception that I would accept as a reasonable excuse for the non-contact. Particularly if it was true, I also know how shitty things can get sometimes.

• Do I see correctly that one can still order services from @HostDoc's site?!

Add to this the absence of updates about the state of refunds, things don't look good.

Are all of HostDoc's servers still up? If so, I guess that @HostDoc feels that he can buy some time (i.e., that he still has technical grounds for disputing any chargebacks), but the absence of updates about the state of refunds certainly doesn't/won't encourage confidence in customers.

My speculation at the moment is that this is actually a case of deadpooling.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • angstrom said: My speculation at the moment is that this is actually a case of deadpooling.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..

• @dahartigan said:

angstrom said: My speculation at the moment is that this is actually a case of deadpooling.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..

Yes, but until now, the general belief was that @HostDoc had simply decided to quit but that he had the funds to refund, which I wouldn't have called a case of deadpooling.

• This isnt good.

My 3800x yearly £25gbp was refunded prorated though.

Thanked by 2angstrom dahartigan
  • I think that my advice would be to not claim a chargeback as long as one's server is up, because the fact that the server is up would weaken the grounds for the dispute.

• @cybertech said:
    This isnt good.

If I may ask, when did you originally order and when did you receive the prorated refund?

• @angstrom said:

@cybertech said:
    This isnt good.

If I may ask, when did you originally order and when did you receive the prorated refund?

Hhmmmm maybe 2weeks back, refunded the day he announced closure.

Thanked by 1angstrom
This discussion has been closed.