Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc are closing down - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc are closing down

Comments

• @seriesn said:

@HostDoc said:
    I can understand @Clouvider liking such comments, I left him and spent thousands with OVH instead. But @seriesn ?

Bruh,
    I have been nothing but supportive and respectful towards you. Liking a forum post doesn't always mean I like what is going on. But rather a support/agreement.

Anways brother, as I said before. I wish you all the best for future. You have tried your best and exiting this industry with honor and dignity. I however would highly appreciate it, if you leave this as it is, instead of trying point fingers at others.

Honour and dignity? He just up and quit. It was established on LET after the last deadpool the honourable thing to do is to transition the service to another capable provider, not to deadpool and leave customers in a bind.

I knew he didn't have the temperament to run a hosting business, but I didn't think he'd go out without finding a new home for his "patients".

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • @BlaZe said:

@AuroraZ said:
    yawns

the ghost enters his penis

Now I have a ghost penis, mwahahahaha beware of my ghost penis powa!!!!!!!

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • @Janevski said:
    @HostDoc You are one of the people who put an upside down picture, back in the @eol -ithic era, which means you are good.

Now...
    Don't expect support from your competitors.
    There may be some knightsmanship and B2B, depending on mutual interests, but, within the same hierarchy group, you are still competition.

In fact, don't expect anything good from people, any people, that way you won't get dissapointed.
    And if something good happens, then you'll be happy.

One cannot just all of a sudden "go crazy" one day, the mental fabric has many layers and the brain itself needs to physically detetriorate, at least in some areas.
    You might get suddenly PTSD if something bad happens, but that's reversible and self limiting. We have ways of dealing with pain and trauma.

It's not that easy to go insane, it's a process.
    Even psychopath monsters grow and don't appear all of a sudden of nowhere...

Get a vacation and decide upon the future after the vacation.
    Anyhow, whatever is your decision, i wish best of luck to you.

It seems that Doc had lots of good things happen if you see the threads from the past year, but even if good things happen, you need lots of effort. My sense is that he let the good things get to his head such that even when the people who were good to him told him things he didn't like to hear, even though they were for his own good, he didn't work on himself but went on the path of blaming the people who helped him in the first place. Goodwill is not easy to come by and if you squander them instead of building on them, the end is nigh.

I am not hopeful that he has learned anything, but well, there's Pandora.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Anyone here already got the refund promised?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@lontong said:
    Anyone here already got the refund promised?

I’m pretty sure he didn’t mention that it’ll all be done within 24 hours.

Give it a couple of days for him to settle down to sort things out.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @TimboJones said:

@seriesn said:

@HostDoc said:
    I can understand @Clouvider liking such comments, I left him and spent thousands with OVH instead. But @seriesn ?

Bruh,
    I have been nothing but supportive and respectful towards you. Liking a forum post doesn't always mean I like what is going on. But rather a support/agreement.

Anways brother, as I said before. I wish you all the best for future. You have tried your best and exiting this industry with honor and dignity. I however would highly appreciate it, if you leave this as it is, instead of trying point fingers at others.

Honour and dignity? He just up and quit. It was established on LET after the last deadpool the honourable thing to do is to transition the service to another capable provider, not to deadpool and leave customers in a bind.

I knew he didn't have the temperament to run a hosting business, but I didn't think he'd go out without finding a new home for his "patients".

He should definitely contact some other providers and see if anyone is willing to take his clients. That would be cool.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@spun said:
    He should definitely contact some other providers and see if anyone is willing to take his clients. That would be cool.

Unlikely, without price increase.

• Wow. It looks like things blew up while I was away attending to some real-life issues. I hope everyone is okay. Life ain't easy so let's all take a chill pill? :smile:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @corbpie said:

timelapse said: Tbh these 3 forums seem like ran by a gang, a group of people that protect each other only instead of a genuine community that helps each other out. Its toxic

It has flipped around a bit see my issue with HD from JAN 2019 and this a month later were i stated dahartigan need to public state he was asociated with HD and stop 'shilling' sure enough a few months later he got his host rep tag.... things fell apart between the two recently obviously

@corbpie I just read back over those threads you linked to and I apologise for crucifying you for the sake of trying to help doc win an argument. I can see looking back, even before I was "officially" part of hostdoc that I looked like the world's biggest shill for him. Very similar to the woothosting shill fiasco that came before it. So for that, even though it was factually untrue, the appearance of being a shill was overwhelming to the point where I don't think anyone would have believed me if I tried to convince them otherwise. I can get passionate about things, obsessive maybe, often I have blinders on and can only focus on the good and most of my posts read like fucking infomercials lol.

Reading back over those threads, plus the recent threads of drama with hostdoc, I can definitely see that there were many times where I tried to swing a thread around by attacking the person with the opposite views to me or what I considered would be enough to alter the narrative. I did this to @AnthonySmith when we had a disagreement years ago, I took it stupidly far, he reacted the best way he could to protect his interests, after that we kissed and made up.

I'm not suggesting that we need to kiss and make up, @corbpie, but I do want to express my regret for singling you out where I did and for contributing to toxicity on LET. I want you to know that I'm not "hostile" towards you anymore and that it should have never come to that in the first place.

I could have sent that to you in a PM but I think it's only fair that I fall on my sword publicly since my toxicity towards you was also public.

As for the Doc and I, well, there's no harsh feelings from my side. Shots were fired both ways, emotions were high (so was I), this, that, the other. We're both grown men, we were mates before, I'm not taking that off the table. I'd still buy the man a beer if we were at the pub. I really wish he didn't close the shop, but I definitely understand why he did.

@HostDoc I'm sorry for betraying you and publicly admitting (with a host rep tag) to the data breach and for not keeping quiet and going into my usual "damage control" mode. That was pretty fucked looking back, and it was a thermonuclear warhead with the way it turned out.

I never in a million years would have wished for HostDoc to close up shop, my intention for "whistleblowing" was to muster up some more people to break your balls into fixing the issues. I had full intention of doing my best to put out any fires that started from that thread, but when you reacted the way you did, and I reacted the way I did, and the community reacted the way it did, it just exploded into a potassium-fueled-thermonuclear-shit-warhead and things culminated to this shitty situation.

I never anticipated this shit, nobody did. It's a genuine shock that you're closing the doors. Would it make any difference if I begged you, on behalf of all your customers, to please at least reconsider whether you want to walk away from everything you've built? The damage that's done can be undone so easily, so frustratingly easily that it's insane to fathom not taking that option.

I could have PM'd that to you @HostDoc but since this whole shit-fiasco is public, I may as well, again, fall on my pitchfork publicly too.

TL;DR @corbpie I'm sorry for being a dick to you, @hostdoc I'm sorry for being a shitty friend to you.

• They had excellent VPS fast and stable.

• So many "wise" men in this thread. One knew, the other one had a feeling. Just stfu, you knew nothing and you can't even feel that horse peen up uranus.

/thread

• @xaoc said:
    So many "wise" men in this thread. One knew, the other one had a feeling. Just stfu, you knew nothing and you can't even feel that horse peen up uranus.

/thread

Meth is a hell of a drug..

• @dahartigan said:

@xaoc said:
    So many "wise" men in this thread. One knew, the other one had a feeling. Just stfu, you knew nothing and you can't even feel that horse peen up uranus.

/thread

Meth is a hell of a drug..

I wouldn't know.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

timelapse said: Tbh these 3 forums seem like ran by a gang, a group of people that protect each other only instead of a genuine community that helps each other out. Its toxic

It has flipped around a bit see my issue with HD from JAN 2019 and this a month later were i stated dahartigan need to public state he was asociated with HD and stop 'shilling' sure enough a few months later he got his host rep tag.... things fell apart between the two recently obviously

@corbpie I just read back over those threads you linked to and I apologise for crucifying you for the sake of trying to help doc win an argument. I can see looking back, even before I was "officially" part of hostdoc that I looked like the world's biggest shill for him. Very similar to the woothosting shill fiasco that came before it. So for that, even though it was factually untrue, the appearance of being a shill was overwhelming to the point where I don't think anyone would have believed me if I tried to convince them otherwise. I can get passionate about things, obsessive maybe, often I have blinders on and can only focus on the good and most of my posts read like fucking infomercials lol.

Reading back over those threads, plus the recent threads of drama with hostdoc, I can definitely see that there were many times where I tried to swing a thread around by attacking the person with the opposite views to me or what I considered would be enough to alter the narrative. I did this to @AnthonySmith when we had a disagreement years ago, I took it stupidly far, he reacted the best way he could to protect his interests, after that we kissed and made up.

I'm not suggesting that we need to kiss and make up, @corbpie, but I do want to express my regret for singling you out where I did and for contributing to toxicity on LET. I want you to know that I'm not "hostile" towards you anymore and that it should have never come to that in the first place.

I could have sent that to you in a PM but I think it's only fair that I fall on my sword publicly since my toxicity towards you was also public.

As for the Doc and I, well, there's no harsh feelings from my side. Shots were fired both ways, emotions were high (so was I), this, that, the other. We're both grown men, we were mates before, I'm not taking that off the table. I'd still buy the man a beer if we were at the pub. I really wish he didn't close the shop, but I definitely understand why he did.

@HostDoc I'm sorry for betraying you and publicly admitting (with a host rep tag) to the data breach and for not keeping quiet and going into my usual "damage control" mode. That was pretty fucked looking back, and it was a thermonuclear warhead with the way it turned out.

I never in a million years would have wished for HostDoc to close up shop, my intention for "whistleblowing" was to muster up some more people to break your balls into fixing the issues. I had full intention of doing my best to put out any fires that started from that thread, but when you reacted the way you did, and I reacted the way I did, and the community reacted the way it did, it just exploded into a potassium-fueled-thermonuclear-shit-warhead and things culminated to this shitty situation.

I never anticipated this shit, nobody did. It's a genuine shock that you're closing the doors. Would it make any difference if I begged you, on behalf of all your customers, to please at least reconsider whether you want to walk away from everything you've built? The damage that's done can be undone so easily, so frustratingly easily that it's insane to fathom not taking that option.

I could have PM'd that to you @HostDoc but since this whole shit-fiasco is public, I may as well, again, fall on my pitchfork publicly too.

TL;DR @corbpie I'm sorry for being a dick to you, @hostdoc I'm sorry for being a shitty friend to you.

Ya'll wild, this is LET guys. Calm yo farm.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Perhaps we should start a group "LET-oholics Anonymous" in order to organize group therapy sessions

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2020

@Lee @Francisco

Yes and no. Many of us know that one can make a living with low end offers, even with low-end offers only.

But there are of course buts. Probably the hottest of which is the issue of support. The solution IMO is to not have fast support reaction times but "reasonable" ones, say 2 - 6 hours with most tickets reacted to within say 3 hours.
    Another but is location. One simply can do some things in e.g. Romania one can't do in say Danmark.

The biggest but however is indeed the clientele. With lots of expertise and a bit of luck one can have mostly "normal" clients who say run a small web site or a DNS server on their 20$/yr VPS, and only a few who actually fully use their allocated resources or, worse, basically abuse the node.

Obviously scale of operation is also important, which translates to young businesses having to cross a "desert" because they can't yet use economy of scale. @cociu reminded me of that when he said something to the effect of "The first 100 servers are the hard part".

Another point worth mentioning is that (probably) most clients either don't have a realistic take on what e.g. 1 vCore, 512 MB mem is capable to do or, as in my case, who don't want to pay high prices because some job (say a DNS server) isn't worth it and doesn't need but a very small VPS plus they have experience and don't need a lot of support (which is one of the most if not the most expensive resource of a provider).
    Note that I don't play that game always. If I need for example a VPS for a beefy dynamic web site I don't go for the cheapest/lowest price VPS - but I still won't just buy a big brand VPS because I know my way around and I also know quite well what quantity of resources I need.

If I had to provide advice to a fresh provider it would be -> Avoid hard users (being close to the limit of resources) and get rid of abusers quickly and early. Plus: clearly communicate your line/policy (as in "occasional peaks happen but anyone sailing hard along the edge or even crosses it regularly will be terminated").

• True @jsg - Virmach is a perfect example of a profitable low-end mainly company.

Thanked by 3dahartigan jsg poisson
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2020

jsg said: Yes and no.

I would expect to find your 'advice' in a book titled "how to grow your business, by someone who has never been in business".

tester4 said: Virmach is a perfect example of a profitable low-end.

Is it? You can prove their profitable or you are just guessing because you want to believe it?

• Is this host was CC based or not?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@LTniger said:
    Is this host was CC based or not?

@Lee said:
    I would expect to find your 'advice' in a book titled "how to grow your business, by someone who has never been in business".

"If you can't counter the argument, simply attack the person who told it" ...

tester4 said: Virmach is a perfect example of a profitable low-end.

Is it? You can prove their profitable or you are just guessing because you want to believe it?

Well, good luck to you proving virmach not being profitable.

• Hello everyone,
    Just had a talk with @HostDoc over live chat and We are willing to provide KVM VPS at the same price which you are paying to them . We will do all the migration of your VPS from HostDOC free of cost. If you want we can also offer few VPS for testing purpose also.

WARNING: DesiVPS is unknown here and has been on LEB!

• @jsg said:

Yeah fuck that.

• @jsg said:

Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid.

• LeeLee Veteran

jsg said: "If you can't counter the argument, simply attack the person who told it" ...

I am not trying to counter it.

jsg said: Well, good luck to you proving virmach not being profitable.

Again, not trying to prove anything, just asking a simple question, how do you know it is profitable? To state your own words ""If you can't counter the argument..."

Not sure why I am even wasting my time. I keep forgetting who I am responding too and that should stop me, I will make sure it does.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @Lee said:

jsg said: "If you can't counter the argument, simply attack the person who told it" ...

I am not trying to counter it.

jsg said: Well, good luck to you proving virmach not being profitable.

Again, not trying to prove anything, just asking a simple question, how do you know it is profitable? To state your own words ""If you can't counter the argument..."

Not sure why I am even wasting my time. I keep forgetting who I am responding too and that should stop me, I will make sure it does.

Can't be bothered proving it, but I did see a post from VirMach on the last round of BF sales that China alone could keep them profitable. So yes, they are profitable.

• @rama said:
    Hello everyone,
    Just had a talk with @HostDoc over live chat and We are willing to provide KVM VPS at the same price which you are paying to them . We will do all the migration of your VPS from HostDOC free of cost. If you want we can also offer few VPS for testing purpose also.

Going from Doc to this is literally a shit downgrade. Refugees they may be, but they don't deserve shit.

• @tester4 said:
    True @jsg - Virmach is a perfect example of a profitable low-end mainly company.

But they have massive scale. That's the key difference.

• @poisson said:

@tester4 said:
    True @jsg - Virmach is a perfect example of a profitable low-end mainly company.

But they have massive scale. That's the key difference.

Exactly, it's getting the initial customer base to keep you from going under. Anything else on top is profit when you are their size.

This discussion has been closed.