Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want to see on LEB? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want to see on LEB?

Comments

• jbiloh said: I've addressed the issue numerous times on Low End Talk. Including in the last couple days.

Lol @ this weak dodge - such an obvious lie.

For anyone who has not been paying attention: @jbiloh's comment history

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Want more frequent update on LET directory.

• Thanked by 1uptime
  • @jbiloh what the hell man the other day I told you exactly what you would need to do to get this back on track and yet you ignored everything I said and still you bullshit.

I tried to say it as discreetly as possible, but now I am just gonna say it: Stop the shit and be transparent. IDGAF if CC was responsible or Deluxe you need to own up to up to the shit that has gone down explain what/why what happened did and just take some responsibility and begin to make things better. This stuff happened under **YOUR **management and you need to own that shit.

Personally I would be surprised if these were sold to you personally at this point. I know I can find out, and will do so on Monday. I think you are fronting for the "company" because what you say is bullshit.

If you have people working they are not working hard as I could tranfer all this to a new platform in less then a day with minimal downtime. Do not try to play a playa they say and I have seen much better then you will ever be try to play people.

You are still spewing the same rhetoric as Woothosting and the like have and always did. Just own up to it, stop trying to pass the buck and fix shit. Keep doing this and by next year this and LEB will be nothing but garbage, and may not be here at all anymore.

Thanked by 2uptime poisson
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2020

@jbiloh said:

doghouch said: Surely there are affordable providers with V6 support and DDoS protection?

Will not work for the attacks that LEB and LET receive.

In order to keep these websites online the intelligence of the CloudFlare product is required.

Are you telling me that LET's ultra efficient installation of Vanilla can't handle 30 requests/second 3 requests/second on the search page?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @doghouch said:

@jbiloh said:

doghouch said: Surely there are affordable providers with V6 support and DDoS protection?

Will not work for the attacks that LEB and LET receive.

In order to keep these websites online the intelligence of the CloudFlare product is required.

Are you telling me that LET's ultra efficient installation of Vanilla can't handle 30 requests/second 3 requests/second on the search page?

Nah he is spewing bullshit as usual is all.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @jbiloh said:

teamacc said: Also, you're completely ignoring the requests for more goddamn clarity with regards to the bankrupcy of the damn one-company host with 25+ brands.
    Multiple people have requested additional info on that, and it is within their rights, as LEB has been abused for the purpose of marketing them, whilst knowing full well that it was just a single entity.
    LEB and LET will never follow anything you do unless you clarify on this point.

I've addressed the issue numerous times on Low End Talk. Including in the last couple days. I've provided as many details as possible under the capacity I am able to. Consumers and ColoCrossing were both hurt in that ordeal and no one wants to see it happen ever again.

Please, show me where.

I've gone through your posts since December 2019 and the only stuff that TOUCHES on the subject is listed below.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3068863#Comment_3068863

It's deeply unfortunate that customers of the hosting parent that collapsed were impacted in the way in which they were. Never a good outcome when end users don't receive what they paid for.
    When it comes to financial damages ColoCrossing provided services for an extended period without payment from the hosting companies. Even still, ColoCrossing provided additional weeks of service (on ColoCrossing dime) so that end users could take backups, etc, after the hosting companies announced their closure.
    As far as LEB goes and the posts, I am putting together a plan that will require more scrutiny for hosts who are featured there. Cannot allow repeats like this to happen.

"Yes they went boom we try not to make it happen again. Also, they were our customer and we promoted them, but look at us being good guys and giving you additional days to get your data. Applause please."

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3068938#Comment_3068938

Glad [getting a refund from one of these companies] worked out for you. Hopefully this is the common outcome for those impacted.

Comment above is not providing any form of clarity.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3077697#Comment_3077697

I don't want anything like [more scams].
    There have definitely been some black eyes that have happened the last couple years. I'm going to change that moving forward.
    [having only offers on the colocrossing network] was not good and that will not happen in the future.
    I agree that there is a credibility problem. We are going to be diligent in fixing that.

Thanks for clarifying on that. NOW HOW THE HELL DID IT HAPPEN?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3078405#Comment_3078405

Here are a few interesting questions I'd like to hear feedback on:

1. What guidelines does the community recommend for screening hosts to minimize the risk of failure and subsequent impact to our community and general consumers?

2. At what point, if ever, should one or multi-year deal term length be allowed on LEB?

3. What should the minimum and maximum price points be for VPS, VPN, Web Hosting and dedicated servers be on LEB?

4. How should things be handled when a host does fail and announces that they are going out of business?

5. How should LEB monitor, on an ongoing basis, the performance and general satisfaction of end user consumers who purchase services from hosts who benefit from the free offer posts on LEB?

None of the above actually specify how the hell it happened. They only ASK the community about what to do if it happens AGAIN.

Right now LEB and LET don't generate enough revenue to cover enough staff internally to [report concerning providers].

We've been reporting concerning providers. For years, even during periods where there WERE ads on LE[BT]. Nothing got done with it. Remember hostnamaste?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3079383#Comment_3079383

The next goal is to make front end, policy, rule, and other changes for the better.

Future plans, again, do not explain what happened in the past

Found this too:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3078173#Comment_3078173

In the meantime please link me to the one that violating the rules and I will fix it.

Out of the 16 I linked, 14 still break the rules. Plus two more that were quickly fixed after I pointed them out.

And to circle back to this comment:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3077697#Comment_3077697

[offers from non-cc providers are] already happening. Offers are now picked with zero consideration for datacenter providers.

So, that is an admission that you DID favor CC-based providers in the past, even though Chris specifically told us "changes were coming", referencing my "look how many CC-based providers are on LEB" infographic?

• @AuroraZ said:

Personally I would be surprised if these were sold to you personally at this point. I know I can find out, and will do so on Monday. I think you are fronting for the "company" because what you say is bullshit.

eagerly waiting for evidence

Thanked by 1uptime
  • need fully managed CC selektor ok?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:
    The additional ads on Low End Box have been removed and the site is on the new hosting platform as of about 30 minutes ago. :)

Footer's still there.

jbiloh said: My content writer is a women, yes. I'll probably rename that account to something generic like "LEB Offers" or something like that.

Or, y'know, an actual real identity (whether that is a 'government name' or a nickname)? Being vague about this really isn't helping your case.

Or if you don't want to disclose their identity because they're not a part of the community (understandable in and of itself), that leads to the next question: why are things being written by someone who isn't a part of the community, and therefore can't have a finger on the pulse?

You're trying to run this like a cable TV network, when what you should be doing is running it like the community people want it to be.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited February 2020

Guys, keep reality in mind!

Of bloody course very ugly things happened around @jbiloh - but keep in mind that in not very small companies like CC lawyers are all over the place. And with Deluxe, a multi-billion $ group you hardly can go to the bathroom without a lawyer.

This means three things:
    (a) Deluxe certainly knew what kind of company CC was when they bought it. A company like Deluxe doesn't invest a dollar without having bean counters and lawyers doing "due diligence" first. "due diligence" is the nice word for what normal people call a full body inspection incl. spread legs and bending over nude.
    (b) In those corporation it's all about "responsibility" which translates to doing whatever indecent things one does to get at more loot but making sure to pass guilt to someone else.
    (c) Don't expect jbiloh to spill any beans. Doing that would equate to inviting extensive "examinations" from Deluxe, with "examination" meaning jbiloh finding guilt (see above) in front of his door along with some smelly dead bodies in his closet.

Unless one is a lowly employee one doesn't just quit such a corporation. If one does it is with a clear understanding to never ever spill any beans, not even a small one. So, don't hold your breath waiting for jbiloh getting talkative re CC/Deluxe.

@jbiloh

Pardon me but I think that your explanation "only CloudF*%&# can provide the protection we need" is BS and very expensive BS at that. One can almost always get cheaper services that are possibly even better technically..
    Plus: LET/LEB are attractive targets but not top class ones.
    Plus: protective actions start on ones own site.

Well noted, you pay the bill, so you choose. But kindly don't tell us that your choice was basically forced upon you.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

doghouch said: Are you telling me that LET's ultra efficient installation of Vanilla can't handle 30 requests/second 3 requests/second on the search page?

The issue is that just like in the past when we tried more advanced searching it was exploited by those looking to take the website offline.

jsg said: Well noted, you pay the bill, so you choose. But kindly don't tell us that your choice was basically forced upon you.

Absolutely happy to examine other solutions and suggestions though in watching the attacks for the past five years CloudFlare has been required to keep things online in most cases.

joepie91 said: Or if you don't want to disclose their identity because they're not a part of the community (understandable in and of itself), that leads to the next question: why are things being written by someone who isn't a part of the community, and therefore can't have a finger on the pulse?

She is not part of the community and I am not going to make her name public. In the past we've tried to do a content bounty program and it was difficult to get reliable submissions. @trewq and I talked about this a few days ago and we are actually going to take another try at involving the community in the content creation. :)

joepie91 said: Footer's still there.

Yeah I sent an email about it last night, it was overlooked among all the other changes. Should be pulled out soon as the person gets around to it -- hopefully today.

poisson said: eagerly waiting for evidence

I'm not going to provide any more details than I already have. If you wish to believe that Low End Box and Low End Talk are still owned by Deluxe that is your prerogative.

And lastly, regarding the hosts that failed. It happened because just like any other host that fails, too much expansion, too many bills, not enough growth and not enough customers paying bills. Usually that also means service problems. Customers got hurt. ColoCrossing got hurt (didn't get paid for a long time). Everyone loses there. So more oversight is obviously required so that those events can't happen again. That's all I can and will say about it.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@jbiloh said:
    And lastly, regarding the hosts that failed. It happened because just like any other host that fails, too much expansion, too many bills, not enough growth and not enough customers paying bills. Usually that also means service problems. Customers got hurt. ColoCrossing got hurt (didn't get paid for a long time). Everyone loses there. So more oversight is obviously required so that those events can't happen again. That's all I can and will say about it.

Lol

jbiloh said: The issue is that just like in the past when we tried more advanced searching it was exploited by those looking to take the website offline.

For application-level attacks, rate-limit requests to those endpoints by IP and you're generally done. If not viable because of a large botnet with many different IPs, do a global rate-limit so that at least an attacker can only break that search endpoint and not the entire site; that makes it much less rewarding to an attacker.

jbiloh said: She is not part of the community and I am not going to make her name public. In the past we've tried to do a content bounty program and it was difficult to get reliable submissions. @trewq and I talked about this a few days ago and we are actually going to take another try at involving the community in the content creation. :)

I do hope that that means properly(!) paying community members to write posts.

I don't know which past bounty program you're referring to, but if it's of the "submit something and if it's good enough we'll pay you" variety like most "bounty" programs, it's no surprise that you didn't get good submissions; good authors don't generally do spec work and risk getting nothing for their work.

The way to get good posts is to hire a specific person from the community to write them, and guarantee compensation.

jbiloh said: Yeah I sent an email about it last night, it was overlooked among all the other changes. Should be pulled out soon as the person gets around to it -- hopefully today.

OK.

@joepie91 if you have suggestions on how we can structure the content bounty program I'd really like to hear them. Your feedback is really appreciated.

@jbiloh said:
    @joepie91 if you have suggestions on how we can structure the content bounty program I'd really like to hear them. Your feedback is really appreciated.

Well, my suggestion is basically exactly as described above: don't do a "bounty", but hire someone competent from the community to do the writing and let them bill you by the hour, like for any other sort of custom work. That's really all there is to it.

Anything that isn't guaranteed to pay someone for their time (in a commercial context, like this), will attract subpar contributions.

• Guys, stop adding to this thread: it's just a SEO ruse!
    Since it started, I can see bugger all of a difference to LET..
    Witness LEB offers, the footer etc.
    As others have said, actions speak louder than bullshit words.
    /thread

Thanked by 1Jesus
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@default said:
    Plot twist: PMS.

Attaboy.

Thanked by 2default seriesn

@joepie91 said:

@jbiloh said:

Well, my suggestion is basically exactly as described above: don't do a "bounty", but hire someone competent from the community to do the writing and let them bill you by the hour, like for any other sort of custom work. That's really all there is to it.

Anything that isn't guaranteed to pay someone for their time (in a commercial context, like this), will attract subpar contributions.

Have anyone in mind? Or what the pay should be? Or what the expectations should be?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited February 2020

jbiloh said: Customers got hurt

Customers didn't get hurt. They got scammed.

All signs point to ColoCrossing turning a blind eye, if not being the enabler. Let's review the facts:

1. A single person owned dozens of hosting companies
    2. All of these companies were using services provided by ColoCrossing
    3. All of these companies were promoted on LEB
    4. LEB only promoted these companies and denied any other offers on their advertising platform over the course of several months
    5. All services for these companies were paid yearly despite the companies involved being much younger than that
    6. You were overseeing/in control of the LET/LEB properties the entire time, perhaps with Chris' involvement at some point
    7. The individual running all the companies shut everything down one day and your only response was to say you kept the lights on for an extra week and thought that somehow wiped your hands clean

You've done nothing to clear up the situation at all and have done zero to convince us you weren't the ones behind the scam in the first place. You keep saying CC/Deluxe doesn't own this place anymore, but to us that literally means nothing. To us, you were CC/Deluxe, so in reality nothing has changed.

I don't know why I'm even writing this because I know the type of response (if any) I'll receive. You won't accept any responsibility. You won't tell us what really happened. I guess this is more of a reminder for the rest of the community to take anything you say with a fucking mountain of salt and to realize this place isn't in any better hands just because it's not longer owned by CC/Deluxe.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

But - but - changes were coming!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Seriously.

What.

The.

Bloody.

Fuck.

• @teamacc We have no ties to whoever registered/held the domain in 2016. If you look at our domain we registered it in 2018. A cool name we chose, now learning it had history?

• Do we need more reasons for joining the other place? Head on to https://talk.lowendspirit.com for a scam free experience.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
    edited February 2020

@jbiloh said:

@joepie91 said:

@jbiloh said:

Have anyone in mind? Or what the pay should be? Or what the expectations should be?

I have no concrete recommendations as I haven't really been active on LET lately, so I don't know exactly who are still active - but I'd recommend looking at the recent posts on LET, and picking out someone who is 1) good at digging into sketchy companies and 2) good at writing easy-to-understand explanations and summaries of information. Basically, someone who can do what LowEndAdmin used to do.

As for pay: that depends on whether you intend to hire someone as an employee or as a freelancer. If as an employee, probably whatever the going rate for a copywriter in that industry is. For a freelancer, I'd just ask whoever you've picked out whether they're interested and what their hourly rate is (as freelance rates are typically initially set by the freelancer, not the customer, and then haggled on during negotiation).

Not sure what you mean with "expectations". If you mean in terms of availability, assuming a freelancer, you'd probably want to ensure a minimum weekly availability in hours or so. In terms of quality, if you're paying someone hourly you can usually expect the same quality as their previous work (or forum posts, in this case) or better.

Paying per post is probably a bad idea, as that gives someone reason to try and rush it.

Edit: Also, I realize that this is LowEndTalk and it doesn't hold true that strictly for servers, but it definitely does hold true when hiring people: pay peanuts, get monkeys.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2020

teamacc said: Seriously.

From whois on losangelesvps.com:

Creation Date: 2018-06-05T22:55:43Z

Not saying this proves they aren't related, but it could easily be someone else since the domain expired and was re-registered since the past stuff.

@LosAngelesVPS said:
    @teamacc We have no ties to whoever registered/held the domain in 2016. If you look at our domain we registered it in 2018. A cool name we chose, now learning it had history?

Technically possible, but in that case, who are you? Like, as a person? Who are the team behind the company? Because the site isn't very talkative about that, and the address in the WHOIS is a Digital Realty datacenter.

• @teamacc said:
    Seriously.

What.

The.

Bloody.

Fuck.

@jbiloh do you think we are a buncha brain-injured people or what? Ma Dio cane, now you will come here to tell us the story that everything is normal as if we were intelligent like radiators, don't even give a coin to someone advertised by jbiloh.

Did you really think we wouldn't have noticed?