Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New OVH "PS" lineup... and it sucks - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New OVH "PS" lineup... and it sucks

13»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Not even then.
    If you remember, getting those offers was impossible for most people and very hard for EU residents (I was one of those rejected because i paid with paypal).
    If the 3 Eur dedi fiasco would have not happened, OVH would have still been great in the eyes of many people which didnt have to deal with the abusive and "of superior race" staff there.
    Me and Uncle had to deal with that, he was directly put in the same category with hackers and abusers because he is italian. In their public forum...

• ecircuitecircuit Member
    edited November 2013

@sman said:
    So OVH is only awesome when they are giving you stuff for next to nothing?

No,
    I have also higher priced servers with them.

But as an old costumer I am used to get nice spec serves for nice prices. Offering such deals for a very long time frame and shutting up the whole order process because of a turnover problem (which is by the way their own fault) and then coming back with atom servers is just ridiculous and not good for their reputation.

The 5 Euro server is good for backup reasons and playing around but that was it. No legitimate admin will use them as productive servers.

• They just posted some new SYS offers, looking good.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

Seems they also have a free beta? for the Avaton if anyone is interested in trying..

8cores @ 2.4 Ghz 32GB ECC ram, 2 x 1TB disk SW RAID

Specs:
    http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/avoton-1.html

http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/contact-service-client.html

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

ecircuit said: No legitimate admin will use them as productive servers.

Depends on what you happen to "produce". If it will produce "fun" for you (as in, the server is just for a hobby site/blog/forum), the Kimsufi is more than fine, and more bang for the buck than any VPS. Of course if you use it as your primary server, you should back it up somewhere else then.

edited November 2013

@mcmyhost said:
    They just posted some new SYS offers, looking good.

It's amazing, they have scrapped the Avoton 40 EUR offer, demoted it to (free?) "BETA", and instead changed the "main course" offer to Xeon E3, and doubled the HDD size to 2x2TB on that one.

Here's how their main offer looked just 3 days ago:
    http://s.lowendshare.com/10/1385136657.313.2013-11-22T160926Z-avoton.png

Swapping things around so hastily on the publicly launched website, that's practically proof they have not a slightest idea of what they're doing. (But okay, they did change it to the better).

...haha, and the logo now says "SoYou(re)Start.com". Apparently we're missing something here, perhaps the outcry (or a resounding "meh") in OVH's own forums or Twitter was just way too deafening to ignore.

• rm_ said: Apparently we're missing something here, perhaps the outcry (or a resounding "meh") in OVH's own forums or Twitter was just way too deafening to ignore.

Yup that's exactly it! The forums were not really gentle on Oles hehe. Now everyone seems to be pleased... wonder how long it will last lol.

• @rm_ said:
    It's amazing, they have scrapped the Avoton 40 EUR offer, demoted it to (free?) "BETA"

Hmm.. now I wonder do you think they would charge for BETA? last time at BHS their BETA was free.

edited November 2013

earl said: Hmm.. now I wonder do you think they would charge for BETA? last time at BHS their BETA was free.

I think it goes without saying the BETA is free, but duration is more interesting. Perhaps one month, or more?...

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@rm_ said:
    I think it goes without saying the BETA is free, but duration is more interesting. Perhaps one month, or more?...

I would think 30 days, or at most 60.. would be nice to try out but not sure if it's for french residents only

• rm_ said: I think it goes without saying the BETA is free, but duration is more interesting. Perhaps one month, or more?...

1 week according to their forum...

Thanked by 1earl
  • A week is kinda short but should more than enough time for testing

@agonyzt said:
    1 week according to their forum...

• @rm_ said:
    It's amazing, they have scrapped the Avoton 40 EUR offer, demoted it to (free?) "BETA", and instead changed the "main course" offer to Xeon E3, and doubled the HDD size to 2x2TB on that one.

Seems that Octave made a statement yesterday.

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?7655-SoYouStart-com-SYS&p=57670&viewfull=1#post57670