Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New OVH "PS" lineup... and it sucks - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New OVH "PS" lineup... and it sucks

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rds100 said: Btw do i correctly understand that these are limited to one per person?

Yes.

• Now I wish I'd ordered three instead of two when the atoms were still awesome. hehe.

Well so far the celeron range is "coming soon". So it is not sure yet.

• Let's be honest. Ovh does'nt want to deal anymore with low budget fox.
    So they will keep a low offer for french people.
    We will have to find an another company.

• @Bob_v2 said:
    Let's be honest. Ovh does'nt want to deal anymore with low budget fox.
    So they will keep a low offer for french people.
    We will have to find an another company.

I believe their new brand actually aims at people that don't expect 3EUR dedis, but do expect to fill the gap between 5 and 40 Euros: http://soyoustart.com

• ayukasayukas Member
    edited November 2013

soyoustart lineup revealed, new Intel 8-core Atom with a setup and monthly fee of 50Euro, LOL.
    http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/sys-8c32g-11.html

Thanked by 2rm_ tux
  • yes that sucks.
    Old mSP was much better.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Celeron 847 is actually a sweet little CPU. When/if I do budget dedi I think that'll be the best option.

• ayukas said: soyoustart lineup revealed, new Intel 8-core Atom with a setup and monthly fee of 50Euro, LOL. http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/sys-8c32g-11.html

I was just about to create a thread about it, but because you pointed it out after I decided to do so I will just post my stuff here.

It's not a real Atom, it's the Atom architecture, but entirely new approach: look at the specs! The CPU is brand new, released on 4th of September.

The CPU benchmark (with UnixBench) is not much lower than one of the E3-1230v2: 4439.3 on the Avoton, 5726.6 on the E3.

It has 32GB of ECC RAM, and the monthly price is amazing, well worth the setup fee for serious use. I really like the second server in their offer, such a steal.

• ayukasayukas Member
    edited November 2013

Still much worse than the 50EURO hetzner i7-4770 offer IMAO, at least I don't need to pay additional fees if I'm paying month by month. You can check the price for monthly payment, it's 108EUR and you still need to pay the setup fee, LOL.

• This is EU Early Black Friday gift.

• 50EURO hetzner i7-4770 offer

it's only 42 euros monthly for those of us who are outside the EU :)

• I wish I smoked enough weed to think 6 bucks for a dedicated server is a "suck" deal.

• @ayukas said:
    Still much worse than the 50EURO hetzner i7-4770 offer IMAO, at least I don't need to pay additional fees if I'm paying month by month. You can check the price for monthly payment, it's 108EUR and you still need to pay the setup fee, LOL.

But Hetzners network sucks unfortunately.
    Even online.net is better.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Frost said: It has 32GB of ECC RAM, and the monthly price is amazing

Uhm, no it is not?
    http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/mini-sp.xml
    this had 2x2TB disks, not 1TB.
    And a proper Xeon E3 at 3.4/3.8 GHz, not some weird new shmawoton 2.4 Ghz no one knows anything about.
    For basically the same price and no setup fee.

So nothing "amazing" about these new servers, I wonder what's with OVH these days, first the crappy "PS", now this. Almost as if they need to put out some placeholder offer to show "they're still in business", but at the same time don't want anyone to be actually buying this.

• @ayukas said:
    soyoustart lineup revealed, new Intel 8-core Atom with a setup and monthly fee of 50Euro, LOL.
    http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/sys-8c32g-11.html

That's the monthly price for a 1 year contract. Monthly price is 90 euro on a month-to-month basis

• It's a brand new config that noone else has offered yet, and probably the motherboards, etc. are still expensive. Give it some months or a year, it will come down in price.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@rm_ said:
    So nothing "amazing" about these new servers, I wonder what's with OVH these days, first the crappy "PS", now this. Almost as if they need to put out some placeholder offer to show "they're still in business", but at the same time don't want anyone to be actually buying this.

Yea what's with them. Offering stuff for next to nothing. Just cannot figure out what the problem is. I mean why aren't they more awesome and still practically give stuff away like before when they needed to spend investor money and get subscriber numbers up at the expense of less important things like making money.

It's a complete mystery.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

rm_ said: Uhm, no it is not?

http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies/mini-sp.xml
    this had 2x2TB disks, not 1TB.
    And a proper Xeon E3 at 3.4/3.8 GHz, not some weird new shmawoton 2.4 Ghz no one knows anything about.
    For basically the same price and no setup fee.

The truth is, they can't be sustained. You can't compare their new offer to one that was unsustainable. Except for disk and slightly less powerful CPU you get about the same deal, with a setup fee.

Why would they give a shit about cheapfucks like you who expect literally everything for pennies, from a business point of view these specs and prices look good, granted these are actually sustainable so they will get stocked.

But I was actually most impressed by the 61EUR/mo one, which has great specs for the price. Open your eyes or fuck off, you're acting like they're obligated to make a loss just because you're a cheap Romanian bum

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

sman said: Offering stuff for next to nothing. Just cannot figure out what the problem is

Troll all you want, matter of fact is that their new offers are markedly worse than their own previous ones, and somewhat worse than what most of their competitors offer today.

To be honest it seems to me they overdone their previous Kimsufi offer (made it a bit overly generous), and now some bean-counter looked at the bottom line, calculated their current profitability and went "holy shit" a little. So these new bizzare forays are an attempt to level it out, by selling a bunch of crappier servers for a sharply higher price. The only problem is, this isn't going to work, same as if you're in a tail-spinning airplane, any attempt to pull up too sharply is only going to make you stall and make things even worse. :)

• Now I feel like I have to hold on to my 2013 mSP instead of letting it expire

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@rm_ said:
    To be honest it seems to me they overdone their previous Kimsufi offer (made it a bit overly generous), and now some bean-counter looked at the bottom line, calculated their current profitability and went "holy shit" a little. So these new bizzare forays are an attempt to level it out, by selling a bunch of crappier servers for a sharply higher price. The only problem is, this isn't going to work, same as if you're in a tail-spinning airplane, any attempt to pull up too sharply is only going to make you stall and make things even worse. :)

Kind of what I just said which somehow makes me a troll apparently....lol.

• texteditor said: Now I feel like I have to hold on to my 2013 mSP instead of letting it expire

See? So they are doing something right, seems like they solved the "churn rate" problem :)

• matter of fact is that their new offers are markedly worse than their own previous ones

Their new Soyoustart offers are exactly like their old offers: sold out. :P

Disponibilité : Ce produit n'est pas disponible pour le moment

It took less than 24 hours for them to mark the new product line 'unavailable' //facepalm

edited November 2013

Frost said: Open your eyes or fuck off, you're acting like they're obligated to make a loss just because you're a cheap Romanian bum

Actually I am the Romanian, rm_ is Russian, or at least living in Russia, it may seem there is no much difference over there, but Russians and Romanians are 2 very different people, with very different origins (tho traceable to the indo-european family some 6k years ago).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-Europeans

Regarding the topic at hand, after the deserved "I told you so", OVH has still great prices, great network and, possibly, great DDoS filtering, the only issue here is the bad management and customer relations which makes it unsustainable probably.
    They are not alone in the unsustainable boat, though, we will see if my predictions will come true in february.

• @Maounique said:
    They are not alone in the unsustainable boat, though, we will see if my predictions will come true in february.

Oh, I thought you were both Romanian.

Anyway, I should have not said that in the first place after all...

Thanked by 3Maounique rm_ mpkossen
  • I was one of the lucky bastards getting a 5 Euro server with N280 (2 cores).

OVH is going down with their reputation. The new offers suck and the turnover thing brought them no love. Just a have look to their forums.

• PS = Piece of shit. Haha, but on a serious note, aren't they worried about these old ass Celeron's overheating or breaking?

• All about that PE lineup from ovh.com! 2TB HDD and an i3-2100 for $30/m!

• @ecircuit said:
    I was one of the lucky bastards getting a 5 Euro server with N280 (2 cores).

OVH is going down with their reputation. The new offers suck and the turnover thing brought them no love. Just a have look to their forums.

So OVH is only awesome when they are giving you stuff for next to nothing?