Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx Moscow Office Raided owing to Copyright Claims - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx Moscow Office Raided owing to Copyright Claims

13»

Comments

• @TimboJones said:

@bikegremlin said:

@texteditor said:
    Russia is not a democracy, and the last few years it has become more and more apparent to me that the mafia in charge will not respect the rights of anyone at home or abroad, even those bringing money into the country, which is why I've been moving away from all my domains and IT services rented from Russian companies.

As with most things in reality - it's not black & white... it is gray.

1)
    Define what you mean by "democracy", so we know what we're discussing about.

2)
    Do you know about:
    Edward Snowden
    Julian Assange
    Guantanamo Bay detention camp

If so, could you provide a short list of countries that are a democracy in your opinion?

Point 2 are verified broken laws and unrelated to democracy. Not sure what your point was here. Snowden us a US citizen and Assange isn't. Both published classified documents, illegal in any country with highly classified documents and jeopardized many lives as a result. I do understand that Snowden shouldn't have needed to leak classified data if every one played by the rules, but the rules broken doesn't change democratic Republic of US. The Guantanamo Bay is for foreign combatants and not US citizens for political reasons.

Unless they posted classified data on voter fraud or Manchurian candidate, it's irrelevant to democracy.

Point?

The country very few people seem to dispute being a (true?) democracy has been proven to:

• Arrest people from anywhere in the world and hold them imprisoned, without a trial, for indefinitely long period. Some torture here-and-there, just to spice things up.

• Surveil the entire world's population's (private) communications.

• Those who came out with the evidence of the above noted are prosecuted world-wide, not rewarded.

Is this what majority of US citizens support? Are they free to choose and change that? I don't think so.

In the mean time, Russia (and China) are the "bad guys".
    They aren't golden, that's for sure. It's all similar - grey. Just depends on a country's position and strength.

Thanked by 3jsg mikei Master_Bo
  • What to do if he have a child during employment?

• @EdgeNat said:
    What to do if he have a child during employment?

If the company is selling children, they own half of it.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2019

@bikegremlin said:

@TimboJones said:

@bikegremlin said:

@texteditor said:
    Russia is not a democracy, and the last few years it has become more and more apparent to me that the mafia in charge will not respect the rights of anyone at home or abroad, even those bringing money into the country, which is why I've been moving away from all my domains and IT services rented from Russian companies.

As with most things in reality - it's not black & white... it is gray.

1)

2)
    Do you know about:
    Edward Snowden
    Julian Assange

If so, could you provide a short list of countries that are a democracy in your opinion?

Point 2 are verified broken laws and unrelated to democracy. Not sure what your point was here. Snowden us a US citizen and Assange isn't. Both published classified documents, illegal in any country with highly classified documents and jeopardized many lives as a result. I do understand that Snowden shouldn't have needed to leak classified data if every one played by the rules, but the rules broken doesn't change democratic Republic of US. The Guantanamo Bay is for foreign combatants and not US citizens for political reasons.

Unless they posted classified data on voter fraud or Manchurian candidate, it's irrelevant to democracy.

Point?

The country very few people seem to dispute being a (true?) democracy has been proven to:

I don't think you mean "democracy" and mean something along "free society". Slavery existed along side US Democratic Republic.

• Arrest people from anywhere in the world and hold them imprisoned, without a trial, for indefinitely long period. Some torture here-and-there, just to spice things up.

They are "enemy combatants", not journalists, not political enemies, not gays, etc, unless you're talking about something else. We're seeing in the US what happens when they try and fuck with political opponents. Putin just gives them a special blend of poison. Or chop up journalists at the fucking consulate (Saudi Arabia).

• Surveil the entire world's population's (private) communications.

Yes, and so does every other major country (if you didn't know this, feel free to step away for being ill informed). This is basic counter surveillance (why do you think white house and military have "secure lines" and spies should never talk on phones?). They need to know when a country is bullshitting or telling the truth. This is a benefit and problem, as it can help verify when threats are serious or not.

• Those who came out with the evidence of the above noted are prosecuted world-wide, not rewarded.

Like? Julian Assange? Classified materials that they should have been censored to protect innocent lives but they didn't. So fuck his fucking ass. He wasn't trying to save lives or educate the US public, but to stick it to the US. He's not altruistic like Snowden (or the one that transitioned in prison, Chelsea something), don't lump them together.

Is this what majority of US citizens support? Are they free to choose and change that? I don't think so.

sigh disappointed face. I do think about 50% of the US are voting against their best interests.

But YES! that's what elections ARE for! Politicians have their mandate, voters vote them in to carry out the mandate. THAT'S DEMOCRACY. Tell me when China has that opportunity, tell me when Putin doesn't interfere with political opposition tampering, that's the difference! THAT is the point you're missing when talking "democracy", not freedoms.

In the mean time, Russia (and China) are the "bad guys".
    They aren't golden, that's for sure. It's all similar - grey. Just depends on a country's position and strength.

China and Russia being "bad guys" doesn't mean US isn't and I haven't seen where someone said otherwise. But it's illogical to say China and Russia can be the only bad guys.

ALL countries are supposed to treat it's OWN citizens above foreigners and most countries don't give a fuck about other countries citizens unless there's a treaty/convention, like diplomat status. Every country in the world will get shit from their own citizens when their government puts non-citizens above their own, that's what taking refugees in results in (e.g. Germany).

Again, what you describe has nothing to do with democracy (government structure). China, Russia, etc score very low on freedoms, and US doesn't fair well, either. The CIA's jurisdiction is outside the US, so US citizens do support their actions to some degree under the mandate of protecting the US. But when shit is discovered that CIA moves drugs or military soldiers commit atrocities, they should be held accountable (there was vocal support from citizens to close Gitmo, but ran into NIMBY problem and Obama couldn't do shit that he promised because Republicans didn't want them transferred to US).

Speaking of accountability, just recently in the US, some soldier was found to have committed atrocities and punished by the military because that ISN'T what they were supposed to do and fuckhead Trump went above the generals and intervened with a pardon. So this is the kind of shit people want Trump out of office for, they don't represent what American "values". Obama got lots of shit for the drone program from US citizens. Tell me, have you ever heard of Chinese or Russian protests on their military actions? I don't.

But you just have to look at the sanctions and expelling of Russian spies that interfered in US elections to be allowed to call Russia the "bad guys".

By no means are the US perfect angels, but saying either every one is equally shit or no one is shit is just wrong.

• @EdgeNat said:
    What to do if he have a child during employment?

Where is sperm "donation" an occupation?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

US exceptionalists (based on what btw?) may consider anyone an "enemy combatant" who is wanton called such by the US government and they may also - like so often - bluntly ignore international law, but that doesn't change the fact that the US locked up non-combatants in Guantanamo (and tortured them).
    Similarly the USA are kidnapping foreign nationals whom one of their agencies or courts want.

The truth is that all that is acutely illegal - but the USA (still) can do it and get away with it and so they do it.

I'm quite confident though that most Americans with a brain do not consider that OK.

But the case here (nginx) is a purely Russian matter anyway and what happened so far is just normal and happens all the time in almost all countries. In fact the nginx developers might even profit from the investigation because it may well come to the conclusion that they are the ones who "own" the nginx code.

@bikegremlin

AFAIK you are from what was formerly Yugoslavia, so you certainly don't need anyone teaching about about the USA acting legally. I hope that your family didn't have any losses back then.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @jsg said:
    @bikegremlin

AFAIK you are from what was formerly Yugoslavia, so you certainly don't need anyone teaching about about the USA acting legally. I hope that your family didn't have any losses back then.

For most harm that's happened I primarily blame the stupidity and bad decisions of my countrymen (went to countless anti-government protests myself).

You can't do what my country did and expect not to get fucked by a bigger bully, even if it was unfair (and stupid and counter productive considering the alleged cause for the US "intervention").

Though it would be fair to say it was as good as that shit can be - nothing remotely close to what Sarajevo, for example, suffered (from my country's army, primarily, that was a disgraceful act to say the least). We had food, water, just occasional bombs. Odds for survival were pretty high for civilians. My family didn't bother to get crammed into bomb shelters. :)

Thanked by 3jsg TimboJones mikei
  • Literally the thread is now full of bullshit. Thanks for derailing as f.

Thanked by 2poisson eva2000
  • donlidonli Member
    edited December 2019

Email from Gus Robertson at NGINX on the situation:

We always strive to be transparent with you, our valued customers, and we are committed to keeping you updated on relevant business developments. While this is a developing situation, and we are currently trying to ascertain what prompted it, we wanted to share with you the facts we have.

On December 12, law enforcement officials came to the Moscow office of NGINX (acquired by F5 Networks earlier this year) apparently seeking evidence related to an intellectual property dispute, to which F5 is currently not a party. The officers had a warrant, and we are still working to confirm the full nature of the investigation. NGINX cofounders Igor Sysoev and Maxim Konovalov were interviewed by law enforcement officials, but no employees have been arrested or are currently detained. F5 fully supports our employees and we believe these claims against them do not have merit.

Promptly following the event we took measures to ensure the security of our master software builds for NGINX, NGINX Plus, NGINX WAF and NGINX Unit—all of which are stored on servers outside of Russia. No other products are developed within Russia. F5 remains committed to innovating with NGINX, NGINX Plus, NGINX WAF and NGINX Unit, and we will continue to provide the best-in-class support you’ve come to expect.

We will keep you updated on developments, as appropriate, and please reach out if you have further questions.

We deeply appreciate your continued support of F5.

Regards,
    Gus

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Dazzle said:
    Right time for Tengine to rise.

there is Open Resty as well

edited December 2019

Uhm, neither Rambler, nor F5, nor the Russians can take away or vanish the nginx code.

The operation Rambler tries to pull off is only about the copyright and highly likely about money. Even if they would win the case, nothing would change for users of open source nginx. We'd still have the source code and the right to compile and use it.

Maybe, just maybe, in an exotic legal universe far away, Rambler might claim that the open source code isn't really open source because they hold rights to it, but that would (a) be suicidal, and (b) meaningless because how on earth could/would they make all foss nginx users stop using nginx or pay?

• As with most things in reality - it's not black & white... it is gray.

1)

2)
    Do you know about:
    Edward Snowden
    Julian Assange

Yup, gray. lets check the number of immigrants.
    Dusts on the floor, that's why I sit on shit.
    Even US is evil, they still the flag of freedom for the dark world.
    For the peoples who born in despair , they paid their golden age to immigrate.
    You afraid about censorship? My fear is my whole family get kill, physically and socially.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Sorry, I didn’t read you come from Yugoslavia. I thought you are one of the blue bloods like that environmental girl.
    One of my buddy still in jail so I am a bit emotion.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

This thread has turned into a sad story.

Folks, lets not make it political more than it has already been.

I am surprised that no one considered who benefits the most from nginx becoming proprietary?

• @MechanicWeb said:
    I am surprised that no one considered who benefits the most from nginx becoming proprietary?

The F5 company?

Thanked by 2raindog308 maverickp
  • Long live apache

Thanked by 2poisson Hxxx
  • TWIMC: longer discussion, with comments from many participating parties (in Russian).

• Authoritarian regimes are increasingly focussing on the internet, both using it for offense and controlling it to keep their people misinformed.

China is currently the worst offender, but by no means the only one. The list will only grow longer.

• @TyrannoServer said:
    Authoritarian regimes are increasingly focussing on the internet, both using it for offense and controlling it to keep their people misinformed.

China is currently the worst offender, but by no means the only one. The list will only grow longer.

Congrats on your 10th comment

Thanked by 1jsg

@TyrannoServer

Kindly note that LET is largely a tech, a (low end) hosting community - not one about politics. And btw, the CIA & western media & their friends certainly need no more instruments to spread their world view.

So what do you have to offer re. hosting and IT?

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2019

TyrannoServer said: Authoritarian regimes

It's not about authoritarian regimes, the old company where, Igor Sysoev, worked, smelled the 650 millions from his nginx sale to F5 networks and wanted a piece.

They (Rambler) are evidently extorting him (Nginx Inc.) for money.

off-topic: Hmmm, let's see...
    Sysoev was born in 1970 and grew up in Almaty, Kazakhstan, at the time called Alma-Ata in Kazakh SSR.
    The best web server in the world comes from Kazakhstan.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2019

@jsg said:
    @TyrannoServer

Kindly note that LET is largely a tech, a (low end) hosting community - not one about politics. And btw, the CIA & western media & their friends certainly need no more instruments to spread their world view.

So what do you have to offer re. hosting and IT?

Jsg, you know very well US isn't an Authoritarian regime and Russia and China are.

Oh btw, fuck off to your paid Russian troll farm, you've earned your rubles for today.

@Master_Bo said:
    TWIMC: longer discussion, with comments from many participating parties (in Russian).

Could you please provide us with a summary of said discussion?

@TimboJones said:
    Jsg, you know very well US isn't an Authoritarian regime and Russia and China are.

Oh btw, fuck off to your paid Russian troll farm, you've earned your rubles for today.

And usual when you have no real arguments you just troll and do ad hominems. I'm so impressed ...

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

Master_Bo said: The F5 company?

Maybe, but in the long run, there are the competitors who would benefit the most.

• After a week, it's clearly Rambler's filthy fingers. No wonder, Rambler is under liberal ownership.

• @jsg said:

@Master_Bo said:
    TWIMC: longer discussion, with comments from many participating parties (in Russian).

Could you please provide us with a summary of said discussion?

This summary, in short, is that Rambler pretends that the lawyers' company that initiated the lawsuit, was acting on its own, and Rambler has nothing to do with that. Rambler also asked that company to cancel the lawsuit (which is hardly possible, since the damage declared was very high) and told they will negotiate the issue resolution with Nginx current owners without lawsuits.

(I assume that consequences of SWAT-like searches in Nginx offices, and other kinds of damage inflicted will also be magically negated after the lawsuit is canceled)

Thanked by 1jsg