Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having Bad Day with Virmach
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Having Bad Day with Virmach

poster01poster01 Member
edited December 2019 in Help

A day ago, i bought Cloud Storage Server (they called it 'Cloud') with 3.5 USD / month for specs :

500 GB Dedicated Storage
1 vCPU
512 MB Ram

It was active instantly and i did several benchmark like disk benchmark :

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

The pain point of this server are :
1. Disk I/O is 8 MB/s. What can you do with this I/O ? My PC even better than this server
2. Load average reached 2.xx for fresh install
3. I run command yum update and it took more than 45 minutes to complete

The pain point of their service are :
1. I have created ticket and no one answering me for 24 Hours
2. They just change status to Priority Queue > Waiting Support L3
3. I asked to billing department, is it refundable or not, they don't give any reply, they changed ticket status to Waiting Billing Department

If they can't resolve this soon, in my opinion, they are very worst provider. Can you imagine if your server getting stuck then no body willing to help you ? Maybe, i will lost for 3.5 USD

Anyway, i need recommendation for VPS with big storage (about 100 - 500 GB), i will build my server backup, i will only install httpd and pure-ftpd on it. If you have recommendation please inform me

Thank you

Comments

• 3.5 USD a month? If so then is unacceptable. But otherwise... i mean 3.5 a year...

• Are you paying 3.5/month? That is totally not acceptable for that price point!

Thanked by 1desperand
  • poster01poster01 Member
    edited December 2019

@seriesn said:
    Are you paying 3.5/month? That is totally not acceptable for that price point!

Yes, it is 3.5 USD / month, you can refer to this link : https://virmach.com/cloud-storage-servers/ for STORAGE-500G plan

• @Hxxx said:
    3.5 USD a month? If so then is unacceptable. But otherwise... i mean 3.5 a year...

Yeaa, 3.5 USD / month

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2019

@poster01 said:

@seriesn said:
    Are you paying 3.5/month? That is totally not acceptable for that price point!

Yes, it is 3.5 USD / month, you can refer to this link : https://virmach.com/cloud-storage-servers/ for STORAGE-500G plan

That is not acceptable what so ever! Did you open any support ticket with them? Billing would take a while being it's the weekend.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Can you post a nench benchmark output?

(curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash) 2>&1 | tee nench.log

• I mean it's week-end and they have probably more tickets than usual due to Black Friday event. Add to that that all new vps got setup and bench by run. Just stop pushing you ticket by replying to it and it will be sorted.

• Might be worth to ping the chief commanded @VirMach

Thanked by 1poster01
    edited December 2019

@FAT32 said:
    Can you post a nench benchmark output?

(curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash) 2>&1 | tee nench.log

Wanna see the result ? Here the result :smile:

[root@service ~]# (curl -s wget.racing/nench.sh | bash) 2>&1 | tee nench.log
    -------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-12-09 04:11:11 UTC
    -------------------------------------------------

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    2199.998 MHz
    RAM:          488M
    Swap:         511M
    Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda    465G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        4.808 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        7.208 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 68.4 us / 4.38 ms / 355.7 ms / 22.7 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 16 requests in 5.26 s, 4 MiB, 3 iops, 778.6 KiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    3.24 MiB/s

Super very fast right ? Only 3.2 MiB/s

https://prnt.sc/q83sxl

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2019

Is not SSD tho so...for the amount of storage you are getting, might be acceptable. Price vs Realistic Expectations

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @ben47955 said:
    I mean it's week-end and they have probably more tickets than usual due to Black Friday event. Add to that that all new vps got setup and bench by run. Just stop pushing you ticket by replying to it and it will be sorted.

Yes, i push them by creating new tickets and post it here. There is no update until now

https://prnt.sc/q83pcg

• @Hxxx said:
    Is not SSD tho so...

I understood that is not SSD, i expect the I/O should be arround 80 - 100 MB/s but not 3.5 MB/s :smiley:

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited December 2019

poster01 said:
    4.808 seconds
    7.208 seconds

wow

• @Hxxx said:
    Is not SSD tho so...for the amount of storage you are getting, might be acceptable. Price vs Realistic Expectations

Man, at 3MB/s, even free can't be justified.

Thanked by 2Hxxx vimalware
  • Just use your own dedi. 80 - 100 MB is full speed for regular spindle with sequential write. Do you expect to have full disk performance with 3,5 USD / month?

This is why I never buy HDD vps, even I don't prefer HDD in dedicated. It will cost performance now or later

Just set your expectation on the right level and maybe you will be happy.

@poster01 said:

@Hxxx said:
    Is not SSD tho so...

I understood that is not SSD, i expect the I/O should be arround 80 - 100 MB/s but not 3.5 MB/s :smiley:

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited December 2019

@poster01 Fixed formatting for you. Indeed the performance is very bad, did the same but mine performs very bad too except read speed (maybe caching?) :disappointed:

10.583 seconds
        16.142 seconds
        7.933 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 69 us / 263 us / 304.2 ms / 3.81 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
        16.2 k requests completed in 5.00 s, 3.30 k iops, 824.2 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    1.72 MiB/s
        2nd run:    5.91 MiB/s
        3rd run:    4.10 MiB/s
        average:    3.91 MiB/s

• @seriesn said:

@Hxxx said:

3MB/s is 24 Megabit/second - faster than the average person's Internet speed in most every country in the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds)

edited December 2019

@donli said:

@seriesn said:

@Hxxx said:

3MB/s is 24 Megabit/second - faster than the average person's Internet speed in most every country in the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds)

I am not talking about internet speed, their connection speed are fine, but worst I/O

• purchased dedicated servre and have same type of benchmark :)

• @jokymic said:
    purchased dedicated servre and have same type of benchmark :)

I ever purchased very cheap HDD VPS Plan, they are doing great in I/O terms

• CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency : 1651.025 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 923.5 GB (3.4 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 15857 MB (339 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 8063 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime : 4 days, 7 hour 53 min
    Load average : 0.03, 0.02, 0.05
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 3.10.0-1062.7.1.el7.x86_64

I/O speed(1st run) : 69.3 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run) : 68.5 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 69.0 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 68.9 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
    CacheFly 205.234.175.175 108MB/s

• i had few vps before form last BF all of them working fine had a good benchmark but this bf deal was not good i think they sold the useless drives

• @poster01 said:

I am not talking about internet speed, their connection speed are fine, but worst I/O

Aside from benchmarking what is your intended use for the 500 GB storage server?

• @donli said:

@poster01 said:

Aside from benchmarking what is your intended use for the 500 GB storage server?

I used it as data backup. I have some VPS and i need to create backup. That's why i need 200 - 500 GB storage. I will only install httpd and pure ftpd but i will not host any site in this server

• In your point 2, it means some tech looked at the problem but it was too complex to fix themselves and someone with more technical expertise will work on it on Monday.

They are not ignoring you. Escalating to L3 right off the bat is usually a good thing.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I fully agree with @TimboJones

If it has reached L3 that would mean there's something really wrong and you're in good hands :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I am having the SAME issue. I bought their storage 1TB server last week (yearly plan) and getting very very poor performance on I/O from the first day. Sometimes, a simple ls command takes time to complete. I know it is not SSD disk, but normal HDD disk performs wayyyy better. Virmach if you are reading this, kindly please fix I/O issue in your storage cloud. Thanks

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

We've had some problems since approximately November 24th; I guess no one on the team realized it's this bad in real world usage as a customer. It should have been brought under control sooner but the migrations, black friday load, and the issue being more complicated than usual didn't help. It's definitely not an acceptable level of performance.

I'm opening a network issue, crediting customers for two weeks of service and locking off storage plan sales for the time being (even though it's only NYHDD10GKVM2 that's facing the abnormal issue.)

poster01 said: 1. I have created ticket and no one answering me for 24 Hours
    3. I asked to billing department, is it refundable or not, they don't give any reply, they changed ticket status to Waiting Billing Department

This is just from a very large ticket backlog that we're almost done catching up to; I obviously don't know all the details but I don't think you should have a problem receiving a refund.

edited December 2019

@VirMach said:
    We've had some problems since approximately November 24th; I guess no one on the team realized it's this bad in real world usage as a customer. It should have been brought under control sooner but the migrations, black friday load, and the issue being more complicated than usual didn't help. It's definitely not an acceptable level of performance.

I'm opening a network issue, crediting customers for two weeks of service and locking off storage plan sales for the time being (even though it's only NYHDD10GKVM2 that's facing the abnormal issue.)

poster01 said: 1. I have created ticket and no one answering me for 24 Hours

This is just from a very large ticket backlog that we're almost done catching up to; I obviously don't know all the details but I don't think you should have a problem receiving a refund.

Ah, thank you for your assistance here, means you are having great responsibility to your customer.

Understood, you have received so many tickets so that it would be late handling on my tickets. I am greatly appreciate about your explanation but in other side, i also need to setup my server backup as soon as possible

I have cancelled my plan, unfortunately, it is non refundable but i created ticket waiting for billing department issued me for a refund

For more details, i will drop you a message

• @jokymic said:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency : 1651.025 MHz

Why is the actual clock speed so much lower than the host node? Was that advertised as the case?