Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup HAD some truly savage Black Friday deals today - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup HAD some truly savage Black Friday deals today

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2019

@nullnothere said:

@Falzo said: wow with the amount of storage that's quite a beast... sadly nested virt will not come cheap though.

and

@angstrom said: What a monster VPS though ...

While the config is sweet, I think the pricing is really not so great on this. If you look at Hetzner's Ryzen lineup and are willing to trade for storage in lieu of that beast of a CPU, this really is not such a competitive deal IMHO. Plus, Hetzner is monthly (without the ridiculous cancel deal at Netcup).

I agree, you get dedis for that price - though the ryzen is 10 bucks difference for me, because no VAT with either of them and only half the disk as you mentined already ;-)

with my use cases I'd also rather take a dedi, however if you look at other reliable providers in the vserver market, there seems to be demand for that kind of biggies and compared to that I'd still conider it a beast...
    like ramnode charge $40 for 4c/8G/160G or a slice 3c/12G/240G is even $45 ;-)

I also personally feel the RS Black Pearl was a better deal (2 of them to give you this configuration at 2x the storage).

at a slightly higher cost, but yes... it would have been kind of sliced already for you haha.
    I guess we'll see that one before christmas again.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • @nullnothere said:

@Falzo said: wow with the amount of storage that's quite a beast... sadly nested virt will not come cheap though.

and

@angstrom said: What a monster VPS though ...

While the config is sweet, I think the pricing is really not so great on this. If you look at Hetzner's Ryzen lineup and are willing to trade for storage in lieu of that beast of a CPU, this really is not such a competitive deal IMHO. Plus, Hetzner is monthly (without the ridiculous cancel deal at Netcup).

Yes, but this isn't a storage VPS! It's a high-end CPU + RAM VPS that has a decent amount of storage.

There are advantages to having a high-end VPS over a dedi: RAID 10; in practice, no worries about a disk dying (because the provider is doing the monitoring). And, as @Falzo points out, the pricing is competitive in the category of high-end VPSes.

The biggest -- perhaps only -- negative point is the lack of nested virt.

Thanked by 2Falzo nullnothere
  • @angstrom said: It's a high-end CPU + RAM VPS that has a decent amount of storage

Fully agreed and in general, there's really very good value from the Netcup team in terms of what they provide : specs-to-price ratio is really nice.

And yes, it's nice to not have to think about disks - in essence at this config level, it is like a managed dedi in that they managed everything for you and as a user you can focus on idling the beast.

I do think the Black Pearl equivalent (Root Server, 4 Cores, 32GB RAM, ~1TB SSD RAID 10) at roughly €20 (annualized) is a great deal compared to this one. It's either 6 cores + ~500 GB Disk or 4 cores + ~1TB Disk and in my view 4c + 1TB is a better bargain.

@Falzo said: I guess we'll see that one before christmas again.

I tend to think so as well. I think at these price ranges (>~€15), there's not that much competition to snag them (unlike their €1.79 VPSs with 40TB of traffic!)

I only wish, they provided an initial lock in period of 6months after which it would flip to a monthly contract - sometimes it is hard to commit to a whole year in advance when one isn't sure of the usage.

Anyway there's really no competition value wise for what Netcup offers - I don't think anyone else is able to compete at their level in terms of what they offer (price/reliability).

Thanked by 2Falzo angstrom
  • Anything now :O?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@zomby1 said:
    Anything now :O?

Nothing interesting today.

• Today is real life swag day in Netcup.
    Never knew they sold things like that :D

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2519

• @angstrom said:

@rchurch said:
    RS 8000 SSDx4 G8SE, 64GB RAM, 8 cores and all the SSD you can eat (1040Gb) for 36.99 euro if you are ready to fork out for a year in advance.

The contract is for a year, but you only pay for six months in advance, which is slightly less painful :smile:

What a monster VPS though ...

Not understanding German I thought the descriptions meant the you paid for a year but could cancel after 6 months.

I ordered the 4.76 yearly web hosting offer last year and they sent me an invoice for a whole year, so I assumed I had to pay for the year in advance, but could cancel anytime after the 6th month and get a refund.

• Dec 16 2019:
    https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2526

Reseller web hosting 1000 ADV19
    Our smallest reseller web hosting tariff has also made it into this year's advent calendar. This entry-level tariff for reselling cloud web hosting still has a lot to offer.

Features
    Entry-level tariff for reselling cloud web hosting
    Professional features such as free SSL certificates, SSH access,
    individual PHP settings, execution of cron jobs possible
    5 customers can be created + 5 IP addresses (IPv6) included
    50 GB SSD redundant cloud storage
    50 domains can be created
    € 2.49 per month

• @rchurch said:

@angstrom said:

@rchurch said:
    RS 8000 SSDx4 G8SE, 64GB RAM, 8 cores and all the SSD you can eat (1040Gb) for 36.99 euro if you are ready to fork out for a year in advance.

The contract is for a year, but you only pay for six months in advance, which is slightly less painful :smile:

What a monster VPS though ...

Not understanding German I thought the descriptions meant the you paid for a year but could cancel after 6 months.

I ordered the 4.76 yearly web hosting offer last year and they sent me an invoice for a whole year, so I assumed I had to pay for the year in advance, but could cancel anytime after the 6th month and get a refund.

I haven't yet looked at the web hosting offer, but as far as the RS 8000 was concerned, yes, the contract was for 12 months, paid in two installments (the first 6 months at the beginning, then the second 6 months after 6 months).

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Too bad they don't accept direct credit card payment.

• Latest deal .ch domain 5.28EUR/yr.

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2527

Anyone know if this is recurring price per year on subsequent renewals? The English translation notes “The discount applies permanently for the entire term,” which seems like maybe yes, but wasn’t sure.

• @twain said:
    Latest deal .ch domain 5.28EUR/yr.

Anyone know if this is recurring price per year on subsequent renewals? The English translation notes “The discount applies permanently for the entire term,” which seems like maybe yes, but wasn’t sure.

yes it's recurring.

Thanked by 1twain
  • twaintwain Member
    edited December 2019

@Falzo said:

@twain said:
    Latest deal .ch domain 5.28EUR/yr.

yes it's recurring.

Thanks, I picked one up. Although hard to tell if a .ch domain is taken, and I’m not sure if the order validated/checks or not, but I guess I’ll find out after they review the order...

• Today's special 23rd December is a good one if anyone is interested!

4xIntel® Xeon® Gold 6230 dedicated cores
    16GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    240 GB SSD and RAID10

10.99 Euros.

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2533

• @fr33turbine said:
    Today's special 23rd December is a good one if anyone is interested!

16GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    240 GB SSD and RAID10

10.99 Euros.

I was wondering how does this compare to phpfriends winter offer? In terms of resources? Thnx

• @plumberg said:

I was wondering how does this compare to phpfriends winter offer? In terms of resources? Thnx

Those aren't dedicated cores - the netcup ones are.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @fr33turbine said:

@plumberg said:

Those aren't dedicated cores - the netcup ones are.

Hmm, yes. I see that now. How does cpu compare? Thnx

• The netcup CPU is very good. PHPFriends is selling slow and old CPU.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Dedicated cores mean one can use them 100% without issues? How much is a dedicated core typically in terms of an actual cpu core? Thnx

• plumberg said: Dedicated cores mean one can use them 100% without issues?

Absolutely. Can confirm that.

• @saibal said:

plumberg said: Dedicated cores mean one can use them 100% without issues?

Absolutely. Can confirm that.

I am becoming more and more suspicious of what these cores actually mean.

Dedicated means that the cores should be idle if a user is not using much CPU.

I don't know how much these CPUs cost, but 4 cores each on a 20 core system means means a maximum of 55 euro a month per CPU. How many months of services does it take to pay for a CPU? If a core means a thread that makes it 110 euro a month which makes more sense

I see them at over $2000 on Amazon though I guess bulk buyers can get them cheaper and Intel may have to accommodate price pressure from AMD unless they are still unable to meet demand.

Surely there must be some standard definition of a core they are going by, which must be based on some artificial definition based on older slower CPUs.

When I observe the industry I am beginning to suspect that there are some companies who need higher end CPUs for unspecified purpose and devote excess capacity for hosting or use hosting as a means to cover expenses relating to some other more profitable tasks they use these CPUs for.

• @rchurch said:

@saibal said:

No, it means that the cores are available for you when you need them. No guarantees for specific cores, and they are certainly not idling when not used by you ;-)

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @dynweb said:

@rchurch said:

@saibal said:

No, it means that the cores are available for you when you need them. No guarantees for specific cores, and they are certainly not idling when not used by you ;-)

Indeed. They're dedicated vCores (threads), not dedicated physical cores: the vCores aren't pinned to physical cores.

If someone wants dedicated physical cores, they should get a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @plumberg said:

@fr33turbine said:
    Today's special 23rd December is a good one if anyone is interested!

16GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    240 GB SSD and RAID10

10.99 Euros.

I'm sure that you're capable of doing a little point-by-point comparison yourself, aren't you?

In terms of value for euro, I think that this netcup special (available only today!) beats PHP-Friends' winter special, but note that the netcup special has a 12-month commitment, whereas PHP-Friends' winter special has a 6-month commitment. The question is also whether one needs the extras afforded by the netcup special. If not, the advantage remains more theoretical than practical.

In any case, the netcup special is already sold out! :smiley:

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2019

rchurch said: I am becoming more and more suspicious of what these cores actually mean. Dedicated means that the cores should be idle if a user is not using much CPU. I don't know how much these CPUs cost, but 4 cores each on a 20 core system means means a maximum of 55 euro a month per CPU. How many months of services does it take to pay for a CPU? If a core means a thread that makes it 110 euro a month which makes more sense

At first, it's not 20 cores, it's 40 threads. So, you get 4 dedicated threads, in total of 40. Secondly, they are obviously do some kind of overselling, just not a heavy one. I suppose they do meter their nodes and it is impossible for all of the clients using 100% of their cores 24/7, so, there is always room for some overselling. They just move a client to a more free node, when they see that he tend to use all the power 24/7, as every hosting provider does.
    Big companies like Netcup will buy servers and components in much lower price than the retail prices because they buy in bulk, so, they won't buy it in a price of $2000 but, usually, much much less.

angstrom said: Indeed. They're dedicated vCores (threads), not dedicated physical cores: the vCores aren't pinned to physical cores.

The cores (threads) are not pinned to a client, but the power of each thread is there in whole when needed. I have made several stress tests and benchmarks and the results are exactly what I expected to be, according the single thread benchmark of the cpu type. And some tests stressed the cpu for more than 24 hours (heavy video HD encoding for broadcast purposes). So, they really give you the full thread power, as they advertise them.

Thanked by 2angstrom rchurch
  • @jvnadr said:

rchurch said: I am becoming more and more suspicious of what these cores actually mean. Dedicated means that the cores should be idle if a user is not using much CPU. I don't know how much these CPUs cost, but 4 cores each on a 20 core system means means a maximum of 55 euro a month per CPU. How many months of services does it take to pay for a CPU? If a core means a thread that makes it 110 euro a month which makes more sense

At first, it's not 20 cores, it's 40 threads. So, you get 4 dedicated threads, in total of 40. Secondly, they are obviously do some kind of overselling, just not a heavy one. I suppose they do meter their nodes and it is impossible for all of the clients using 100% of their cores 24/7, so, there is always room for some overselling. They just move a client to a more free node, when they see that he tend to use all the power 24/7, as every hosting provider does.
    Big companies like Netcup will buy servers and components in much lower price than the retail prices because they buy in bulk, so, they won't buy it in a price of $2000 but, usually, much much less.

angstrom said: Indeed. They're dedicated vCores (threads), not dedicated physical cores: the vCores aren't pinned to physical cores.

The cores (threads) are not pinned to a client, but the power of each thread is there in whole when needed. I have made several stress tests and benchmarks and the results are exactly what I expected to be, according the single thread benchmark of the cpu type. And some tests stressed the cpu for more than 24 hours (heavy video HD encoding for broadcast purposes). So, they really give you the full thread power, as they advertise them.

Naturally, I agree with you completely -- I just gave a less comprehensive reply. :smile:

Also, the minor overselling of threads (we don't know how much overselling) can work because mining is prohibited. If everyone tried to mine 24/7, then the minor overselling wouldn't work.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • so....any bench?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2019

cybertech said: so....any bench?

I'll post a bench of an older server with Gold 6140 CPU. The vps itself has 4 cores (threads) dedicated, but the bench is from a container I created inside the netcup vps. I have installed Proxmox and created some LXC containers, this one is the bigger one on the vps with access to 3 out of 4 cores.
    COU passmark is 23964, has 18 cores x2 threads, 36 threads. Each thread is 665 on passmark, theoretically.

BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

System: xxxxxxxx: GNU/Linux
       OS: GNU/Linux -- 4.15.18-10-pve -- #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-32 (Sat, 19 Jan 2019 10:09:37 +0100)
       Machine: x86_64 (unknown)
       Language: en_US.utf8 (charmap="ANSI_X3.4-1968", collate="ANSI_X3.4-1968")
       CPU 0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz (4589.2 bogomips)
              Hyper-Threading, x86-64, MMX, Physical Address Ext, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT, SYSCALL/SYSRET
       CPU 1: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz (4589.2 bogomips)
              Hyper-Threading, x86-64, MMX, Physical Address Ext, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT, SYSCALL/SYSRET
       CPU 2: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz (4589.2 bogomips)
       01:29:48 up 48 days, 10:01,  1 user,  load average: 2.11, 1.32, 1.21; runlevel Nov

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Benchmark Run: Sun Dec 22 2019 01:29:48 - 01:58:27
    4 CPUs in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests

Dhrystone 2 using register variables       33837351.5 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Double-Precision Whetstone                     3785.6 MWIPS (9.9 s, 7 samples)
    Execl Throughput                               3399.9 lps   (29.6 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks        501328.6 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks          146492.6 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks       1104958.2 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Pipe Throughput                              857458.5 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Pipe-based Context Switching                  63782.2 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Process Creation                               4152.1 lps   (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                   5875.8 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                   1604.4 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    System Call Overhead                         628036.8 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
    Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   33837351.5   2899.5
    Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       3785.6    688.3
    Execl Throughput                                 43.0       3399.9    790.7
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0     501328.6   1266.0
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     146492.6    885.2
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    1104958.2   1905.1
    Pipe Throughput                               12440.0     857458.5    689.3
    Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0      63782.2    159.5
    Process Creation                                126.0       4152.1    329.5
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4       5875.8   1385.8
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0       1604.4   2673.9
    System Call Overhead                          15000.0     628036.8    418.7
                                                                       ========
    System Benchmarks Index Score                                         870.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Benchmark Run: Sun Dec 22 2019 01:58:27 - 02:27:48
    4 CPUs in system; running 4 parallel copies of tests

Dhrystone 2 using register variables       90311613.0 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Double-Precision Whetstone                    11231.5 MWIPS (8.4 s, 7 samples)
    Execl Throughput                               6588.0 lps   (29.7 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks        680916.8 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks          194956.6 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks       1755374.8 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Pipe Throughput                             2141357.2 lps   (10.1 s, 7 samples)
    Pipe-based Context Switching                 264472.7 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Process Creation                              11615.8 lps   (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                  11696.1 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                   1730.0 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    System Call Overhead                        1478978.0 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
    Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   90311613.0   7738.8
    Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0      11231.5   2042.1
    Execl Throughput                                 43.0       6588.0   1532.1
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0     680916.8   1719.5
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     194956.6   1178.0
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    1755374.8   3026.5
    Pipe Throughput                               12440.0    2141357.2   1721.3
    Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0     264472.7    661.2
    Process Creation                                126.0      11615.8    921.9
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4      11696.1   2758.5
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0       1730.0   2883.4
    System Call Overhead                          15000.0    1478978.0    986.0
                                                                       ========
    System Benchmarks Index Score                                        1808.2

And the cpu of the node is:

processor       : 2  
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel  
    cpu family      : 6  
    model           : 85  
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz  
    stepping        : 4  
    microcode       : 0x1  
    cpu MHz         : 2294.608  
    cache size      : 16384 KB  
    physical id     : 0  
    siblings        : 4  
    core id         : 3  
    cpu cores       : 4  
    apicid          : 3  
    initial apicid  : 3  
    fpu             : yes  
    fpu_exception   : yes  
    cpuid level     : 13  
    wp              : yes  
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon rep_good nopl xtopology cpuid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb avx512cd avx512bw avx512vl xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves arat umip pku ospke  
    bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf  
    bogomips        : 4589.21  
    clflush size    : 64  
    cache_alignment : 64  
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual  

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • Oos :(

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2019

As from the last one, the benchmarks are around 2k.
    Nothing more to be expected at that pricings.

Single thread perf. is equal to a N2800 Atom that Kimsufi sells.