Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2019 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 38
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2019 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• @dzungbb said:
    Can I submit a ticket if the location is different from the one I saw when making order?

No tickets allowed for Black Friday offers, zero tolerance :-D

• DaevienDaevien Member
    edited December 2019

$36.90 /yr
    VIRTUALIZATION KVM – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 2048MB RAM
    CPU 4 vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

The Buffalo cannot be tamed :P

• @dzungbb said:
    Can I submit a ticket if the location is different from the one I saw when making order?

• @Ouji said:

dTQzBen8 said: For idling, just keep your machine shutdown and don't get hacked. I have received several suspension last year because of getting hacked. Recently one of those got banned.

Don't you do very basic hardening tho? Like disabling pwd auth and root login? I have a script I run in all my servers as soon as I get my hands on them just to do that and adjust timezones. Haven't had any issues with idling servers.

Would you be willing to share your script with us? :)

Thanked by 2scorcher9 plumberg
  • @Bertie said:

dTQzBen8 said: For idling, just keep your machine shutdown and don't get hacked. I have received several suspension last year because of getting hacked. Recently one of those got banned.

How are you getting hacked that often. Are you not using unattended-upgrades?

With most idling servers, I usually just turn them into Tor relays or bridges until I have something to do with them. This has the nice side-effect of banning the IP address in China and a bunch of other SSH attack-happy countries until I do something with the server. (The IPs are never banned permanently as far as I can tell, but bridge IP blocks take longer to be removed from GFW).

Virmach doesn't allow Tor sadly.

@Ouji said:

Don't you do very basic hardening tho? Like disabling pwd auth and root login? I have a script I run in all my servers as soon as I get my hands on them just to do that and adjust timezones. Haven't had any issues with idling servers.

I did remove pwd auth and switch to key auth. That's why I get confused. Maybe I forgot. When you receive suspension, it's too late to fix that.
    I can understand that this is my responsibility and I should take care of it.

• OujiOuji Member
    edited December 2019

user123 said: Would you be willing to share your script with us? :)

Yes. It's a fork from someone else tho. I'm not very good at this, so I just forked a known Ubuntu first-time setup script and made a few modifications. I will need to clone it and make the copy public as my original is private.

NVM, was able to make it public.

Don't roast me tho.

• @Ouji said:

user123 said: Would you be willing to share your script with us? :)

Yes. It's a fork from someone else tho. I'm not very good at this, so I just forked a known Ubuntu first-time setup script and made a few modifications. I will need to clone it and make the copy public as my original is private.

That would help please! Thanks

• @VirMach

$38.70 /yr
    VIRTUALIZATION KVM – Requested + KVM + 10GIGABIT + 3GHz
    RAM 13568MB RAM
    CPU 8 vCORE
    HDD 110GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 3000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION Buffalo, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

Windows 2016 or 2019

• @Ouji said:

Same. I also adjust kernel swappiness, install client certificates, set up internal mail relay, configure iptables, and all that good stuff.

• OujiOuji Member
    edited December 2019

@plumberg @user123 @dTQzBen8
    Here is my script, don't roast me tho as I'm not a great scripter, again, this is a fork from someone else, I just revised a few things and add some others.

Link

• Also, this script was originally made for Ubuntu, but I run mostly Debian machines and a few of these templates come without some of the softwares needed to run the main script, so I just made a lazy mini setup for Debian and Ubuntu minimal users.

Thanked by 1user123
  • DaevienDaevien Member
    edited December 2019

$23.67/yr
    KVM - 1 GIGABIT
    1280MB RAM
    3 vCORE
    10GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

Thanked by 1uptime
  • And also, this is the original script I forked from. In my repo it doesn't appear as fork because I had to clone it to make my repo private.
    ubuntu-server-setup

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • $69.00 /yr
    RAM 11008MB RAM
    CPU 3 vCORE
    HDD 85GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 10500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION SEATTLE, WA LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

Thanked by 2uptime plumberg
  • 522... damn... @virmach.. pls consider again

• @FAT32 you still awake? This is boooooring - I guess you should go to sleep that 3 hours earlier. @VirMach why you left us? Throw some bones here please =)

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@JabJab said:
    FAT32 you still awake? This is boooooring - I guess you should go to sleep that 3 hours earlier. VirMach why you left us? Throw some bones here please =)

Yes sadly I am still awake, I always tell myself next one will be better, but well.

Thanked by 1JabJab
  • LIMITED OFFER
    $22.45 /yr
    RAM 3200MB RAM
    CPU 2 vCORE
    HDD 30GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 2000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

@VirMach Please make it happen again! I missed it during my bedtime. Please! THX!

• $25.9/yr
    KVM - 1 GIGABIT
    2048MB RAM
    3 vCORE
    15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    1 DEDICATED IPv4

• FZhangFZhang Member
    edited December 2019
    LIMITED OFFER
    $25.90 /yr
    RAM 2048MB RAM
    CPU 3 vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 1000GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
  • xiyanxiyan Member
    edited December 2019

@dTQzBen8 said:

@Bertie said:
    Is anyone hesitating from buying the larger deals (8GB Ram, 4 vCPU) because they're worried about resource abuse? I know Virmach is very aggressive about suspending with I/O and CPU usage, especially since the black friday deals have a zero tolerance policy.

I'm terrified of getting a $50+ yearly plan, just to have it permanently suspended for running a Minecraft server where some jackass explodes 500 TNT.

Yes I am. You may use cpulimit limiting your cpu usage. But I also wondering if there's more warnings before suspension.
    For idling, just keep your machine shutdown and don't get hacked. I have received several suspension last year because of getting hacked. Recently one of those got banned.

Hello, how to limit IO and network usage ? I don't want it is suspended when I am sleeping once it reaches abused standard unexpectfully while I can't receive the alert in time.

I searched how to reduce DDOS, but I still not sure whether it works well.

Hope @virmach can give us some tips for us to limit the resource so we don't have to worry about using too much resource unexpectfully.
    Or just shutdown it or limit the resource strictly when it's about to use too much resource. I fully understand that we should not abuse resources and I would appreacite it if we can limit the resources by ourselves with some tools.

• @user123 said:

@Ouji said:

Would you be willing to share your script with us? :)

Then his SSH keys will be in your server. Make your own script.;)

• TimboJones said: Then his SSH keys will be in your server. Make your own script.;)

That doesn't make any sense. The script explicitly asks for a SSH key to be added, this can also be checked as the source can be read by anyone. I use a different SSH key for each server and each user (even in the same server), I don't like nor recommend reusing keys, at all.

• Getting a feeling that crazy deal is about to start ...

• LIMITED OFFER
    $21.46 /yr
    RAM 1920MB RAM
    CPU 2 vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 1500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION DALLAS, TX LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
    Thanked by 2Ouji uptime
  • that feeling never left us...

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Ok. Going to sleep. Nothing impressing.

• @FAT32 said:
    Ok. Going to sleep. Nothing impressing.

Are you sure? You know that's how @VirMach messes with us...

• Me too. Gl everyone that stays awake.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2019

FAT32 said: Ok. Going to sleep. Nothing impressing.

arunsharma7 said: Getting a feeling that crazy deal is about to start ...

Awake, eating, and ready to go spend that $4 I have left of store credit !!!!

Thanked by 1uptime